Parking at Manhattan West Side Pier

Mark

Hi

We are sailing on Veenedam and plan on parking on top of the pier for the cruise. Can someone tell us what to expect and how to do it? I mean do you drop off your luggage before you go up the ramp and park on the pier or do you park on the park on top of the pier and then have to haul all your luggage down on the elevator to where the longshoremen are to take it on the ship? Please advise...Thanks!

When I parked there last year, we were directed to park first, then haul our luggage down. No porters were upstairs to meet us.

If I were to drop off luggage first, I would have had to exit the pier, then turn around and re-enter to park.

In May, we parked first and had no issues carrying our own luggage down.

You will pay (in full, for the week) at the toll booth. After pulling through there is security with dogs, and they will ask you to open your trunk area to check your luggage. Its all quick...nothing has to come out of the car. Dogs take a quick sniff and then you are off to park.

Two of us were able to easily handle two rolling suitcases plus a rolling garment case and a carry-on. Short walk to the HUGE elevator, downstairs and we checked the bags. Just make sure they know which ship you are on as they have many carts, each designated for a particular ship (there were three in port the day we left).

When we returned to NY, there were porters available to assist with luggage BACK to your car if you wanted it. Again, we had no trouble handling our bags ourselves.

For incoming people drive up the ramp to the second level, go along till you see the name of your ship. Stop, let off your pass and luggage. Go straight till the end, keep right and go up to the third level, roof. Go to pier your ship is on and park. Take escalator down to second level, meet your family and go.

For incoming people drive up the ramp to the second level, go along till you see the name of your ship. Stop, let off your pass and luggage. Go straight till the end, keep right and go up to the third level, roof. Go to pier your ship is on and park. Take escalator down to second level, meet your family and go.

So if I drop off my luggage and passenger on the second level of the pier, I do not have to exit the pier and get back on the street to re-enter and park on the roof?

Some people were saying you can drop off luggage and passengers but then you cannot drive up to the roof without exiting the pier terminal complex meaning you have to get back in traffic and re-enter a second time...

Just received an email from the manager of the piers in Manhattan...he tells me if you are going to park on the roof (3rd level) you must drive right up onto the roof and cannot drop off passengers or luggage...if you do, then you must exit the pier complex...go back in traffic and then turn around and re-enter the pier to park!

The configuration has changed. It is not possible to drive up after dropping passengers off.

My husband usually drops off me and the luggage. He then goes to park and I hand off the luggage and meet him inside the terminal. They have chairs to the sides at the entrance, that is our meeting spot.

that's what my family does as well, seems like the easiest solution to me.

Just received an email from the manager of the piers in Manhattan...he tells me if you are going to park on the roof (3rd level) you must drive right up onto the roof and cannot drop off passengers or luggage...if you do, then you must exit the pier complex...go back in traffic and then turn around and re-enter the pier to park!

That is correct. We were there 2 weeks ago, dropping off my mom. If you go to the spot by the porters, where you drop off your luggage you are past the main entrance. There used to be another way up at the end, but that is now marked for outgoing traffic only. The only way would be to drop off, leave and re-enter which is a crazy idea considering the line to enter along the West Side Highway took us at least 20-30 minutes.

Archived