Stockholder "Perks"

Seeking CCL sotck decline some 35% this year, makes buy and hold for ling periods risky.. Perhapse buying for a shorter periods would work better. Clearly this year owning CCL for the full year could have cost you over $900 ! in loss of value...

Hate to disagree with you, but my shares have been in the "green" most of the past year. Guess I bought at the right time.;) I don't buy stock to churn it but for the long haul. As long I'm getting these nice OBC I'll stick it out. Perhaps when I no longer cruise twice a year, I'll consider selling.

Seeking CCL sotck decline some 35% this year, makes buy and hold for ling periods risky..

Not sure how the 35% came into the picture...

Carnival is down about 12% over the last 12 months...not bad if you factor in the economy and the Concordia event.

Seeking CCL sotck decline some 35% this year, makes buy and hold for ling periods risky.. QUOTE]

Carnival is down about 12% over the last 12 months...not bad if you factor in the economy and the Concordia event.

or alternatively a good time to buy;);)

He may have been referring to the 52 week range.

52wk Range: 28.52 - 37.31

And that actual range was between July and Aug 2011. Just points out how risky holding $3500 of any company's stock can be when trying to get a $100 perk for the average cruiser. After all they choose Carnival for a reason. It's not exactly a rich person's cruise line.

And ,yes, if you bought at the bottom you would be about $5/share ahead right now. But risk should be taken into consideration when buying stock for any reason.

Better to buy and not hold if you want the perk IMHO.

(bring on the "Thought Police Clowns").

PARTIAL QUOTE

Better to buy and not hold if you want the perk IMHO.

(bring on the "Thought Police Clowns").

Lembano,

My personal experience: I bought 100 CCL shares on 3/15/2011 @ $38.19 per share. Since then, I have received $600 on board credits tax free (including my cruise booked for August), in addition to taxable dividends . Yes, the price of the stock today is less than what I paid, but even if I sold it today, I would be on the plus side. I certainly would not advise anyone to buy the stock, or sell the stock -it all depends on individual circumstances. Does that me a "Thought Police Clown", and if so, do I get to wear a funny costume ? :D Cheers, -S.

When someone like TwoSue gets criticized for doing what she was perfectly entitled to do, it is unsettling.

The rules say the benefit is available to anyone holding 100 shares. It really doesn't state any length of ownership.

Why can't this community be civil? She was pointing out a way the program worked for her in an attempt to help someone else. That's what this site is for.

Instead, many posters write personal comments about another member for an action that is an infraction in their judgment, but not a violation of the Carnival Corp. written requirements.

I have Carnival shares and I've held them for years, but I understand the risk TwoSue took and the benefit Carnival received from her trading.

There does not seem to be a problem with TwoSue. She didn't deliberately try to trick Carnival Corp. or harm me. If you don't agree with the way Carnival Corp. manages the shareholder benefit, share some thoughts on that. I know everyone means well here, but I'm afraid some members get roughed up a little too much in the process.

The rules say the benefit is available to anyone holding 100 shares. It really doesn't state any length of ownership.

Holding 100 shares at the time of sailing ("one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom"), which is the part that's gotten folks riled up.

Many on CC seem to relish the opportunity to pounce on others who post the realities of "cruise life".

I think it is better to be informed than to be opinionated, but this example is about the same as the dress code threads where the truth is not acceptable to many and the arguments ensue.

If the cruise line approves ---- it is their choice and opinions mean very little.

While I agree that it is against the "spirit" of the stockholder credit, if CCL allows it, there is no reason to hold the stock if you do not want to. I am sure CCL figures it is not worth the hassle (time and money) to double check everyone at time of sailing to see if they still own the stock.

DaveOKC

While I agree that it is against the "spirit" of the stockholder credit, if CCL allows it, there is no reason to hold the stock if you do not want to. I am sure CCL figures it is not worth the hassle (time and money) to double check everyone at time of sailing to see if they still own the stock.

DaveOKC

Whilst I have no direct personal knowledge of CCL's (or, for that matter RCI's) rationale for offering the stockholder credit, both company's are probably tapping an under recognized source of business.

Remember, the credit is available on all lines of both companies, high end to low end.

Now, from an economics/profitability perspective, keep in mind that the most profitable aspect of cruise line operations is the on board revenue generation and that the credit can only apply to on board charges. An overly broad generalization is that the lines generate at least a 50% profit on such revenues. That means the actual cost to CCL of a shareholder benefit of $100 is actually $50.

And I also suspect the typical recipient of the credit will use it to spend more and not to reduce the on board charges normally incurred.

In other words, I suspect Carnival is perfectly happy with those who supposedly "game" the system by buying the stock to get the credit then selling it off immediately afterward.

Holding 100 shares at the time of sailing ("one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom"), which is the part that's gotten folks riled up.

Yes, that could be open to interpretation. When Holland told TwoSue that's not they way they interpret it and you only need to be a shareholder when you apply, I figured that ended the need to interpret.

Being a shareholder upon application is how I always read it. And even if you are a shareholder, they don't always approve the benefit.

Yes, that could be open to interpretation. When Holland told TwoSue that's not they way they interpret it and you only need to be a shareholder when you apply, I figured that ended the need to interpret.

Being a shareholder upon application is how I always read it. And even if you are a shareholder, they don't always approve the benefit.

They always have approved my requests if the information is submitted properly. What are the circumstances that cause non-approval ??

On the information sheet it does state certain restrictions apply. Employees, travel agents sailing on travel agency rates, tour group leaders and others sailing on greatly reduced fares are excluded.

They always have approved my requests if the information is submitted properly. What are the circumstances that cause non-approval ??

When my benefits have been denied, Holland did not give a specific reason. My guess is that some discount on the price disqualified the benefit, which is stated in the guidelines, and I have gotten some good deals.

I'd doubt my submission was at fault, as I've always completed it the same. It's unclear to me what kind of discount negates the benefit.

• 3 weeks later...
Whilst I have no direct personal knowledge of CCL's (or, for that matter RCI's) rationale for offering the stockholder credit, both company's are probably tapping an under recognized source of business.

Remember, the credit is available on all lines of both companies, high end to low end.

Now, from an economics/profitability perspective, keep in mind that the most profitable aspect of cruise line operations is the on board revenue generation and that the credit can only apply to on board charges. An overly broad generalization is that the lines generate at least a 50% profit on such revenues. That means the actual cost to CCL of a shareholder benefit of $100 is actually $50.

And I also suspect the typical recipient of the credit will use it to spend more and not to reduce the on board charges normally incurred.

In other words, I suspect Carnival is perfectly happy with those who supposedly "game" the system by buying the stock to get the credit then selling it off immediately afterward.

Another reason for shareholder benefits is to encourage more people to purchase shares in a Company. It seems to me that the real intention of the " Shareholder Occupied Cabin" description is to define that only one credit is available per cabin rather than that it is necessarily occupied by a shareholder. Too much hot air has been generated about this grey area and I thoroughly agree that TwoSue has indeed been very badly treated.

Well done Sue .

Archived