Do You Want a Scale in your Bathroom on the Ship?

sail7seas

Take a scale if you want to--but it will probably not be accurate. It will affected by motion and humidity, and as you know, your scale should not be moved around or on carpet so you have to find a place to leave it for the whole cruise. One reason NOT to weigh yourself everyday is that your weight can vary as much as 5 pounds due to water retention and such--on a cruise this is a huge possibilty.

It would be better to just log your food and drink to get a better idea of how you are doing to prevent weight gain. For example--on a cruise some people may go to have a pre-dinner cocktail followed but dinner with wine, perhaps followed by an after dinner little something, not realizing that they are drinking a ton of calories that they do not do at home.

I don't want one, but hope one is available for you if you do. Can the room steward provide one?

Thanks for your generous comment. :) I appreciate it.

I actually have asked when aboard if there were any bathroom scales available to guests and you can imagine some of the funny responses I've heard. :D No, so far as I know, the only scale openly available for guests is in the gym and it has been my experience they are not very useful. They seem to be so out of whack it bears no resemblance to reality.

I see absolutely no need for a scale in the cabins. We usually lose weight on a cruise due to the extra exercise and choosing good healthy meals most of the time.

A scale would make me so aware every single day that I feel I wouldn't enjoy myself as much. Right now I weigh twice a week, I have lost 45 pounds since March 1st. When I do take our next cruise in 3 months I won't worry excessively about weight gain. If I do gain any weight on the cruise I will worry about losing it when I get home again.

Wow great job! 45lbs is awesome. I just started trying to lose on June 6th. It's been 1 month and i'm down 7lbs. I hope by the time I cruise in october I'll be at least 15-20lbs lighter.

Have you ever tried the app called "Lose It!". I've been using it for my food tracking and it's been helping me keep things in perspective. Even if i'm making the wrong choices, I have lost weight if i've kept the calories where they should be. Now I know I should be making more right choices, but, baby steps here. LOL

Keep up the great work! And I agree - on my cruise I won't be counting calories (at least I hope i wont! I don't plan to). I want to enjoy myself on vacation - and i tend to walk so much in port that it all evens out in the wash!

I would love a scale as I have taken off 38 lbs in 11 weeks :) by cutting out all carbs and sugar and I would NOT want to add (much) back on. I would find it very calming to be able to use a scale in the privacy of my room to monitor my weight.

Maybe we should start a thread in the floataway lounge for all us trying to lose weight :-) Great job, 38lbs in 11 weeks. I'm only at 7 in 4 weeks but I hope to be you someday! :-)

Cutting out carbs and sugars is SO HARD, I admire your dedication. If i cut out carbs I'd be golden. Pretty sure.

Watched the documentary "Weight of the Nation" on the weekend...we North Americans are in terrible trouble...within a few decades we may need a scale on every street corner,never mind cruise ship staterooms

The facts presented certainly gave me food for thought (pun intended.).so much so, I walked to work today. LOL Give it a peek folks ,if you take the message to heart, you may never need a scale again.

I've got that series on my DVR...have to sit down to watch it one of these days....

Maybe we should start a thread in the floataway lounge for all us trying to lose weight :-) Great job, 38lbs in 11 weeks. I'm only at 7 in 4 weeks but I hope to be you someday! :-)

Cutting out carbs and sugars is SO HARD, I admire your dedication. If i cut out carbs I'd be golden. Pretty sure.

A thread? There's a whole forum for that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=149

For some of us (and probably the most successful ones) losing weight is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change and becomes part of who we are.

Sail, please do report back on your travel scale.

Roy

We've booked a cruise on Celebrity Century in cabin 1066 Check out this photo of the bathroom. That looks like a scale to me.

1066.gif.

Please point me in the right direction, as I'm not seeing a scale in that picture. I see a phone, a couple of towels on racks, the toilet paper holder.

I would expect a scale to be on the floor, and there is no floor in this picture that I can see. Is there another picture you meant to post?

Please point me in the right direction, as I'm not seeing a scale in that picture. I see a phone, a couple of towels on racks, the toilet paper holder.

I would expect a scale to be on the floor, and there is no floor in this picture that I can see. Is there another picture you meant to post?

Is that it in the lower left corner?

You can't see the floor in the corner because there is a scale sitting there. :confused:

You can't see the floor in the corner because there is a scale sitting there. :confused:

Oops. I didn't see that I had to scroll down to see the rest of the picture. :o

Thanks for giving me the hint on where to look.

Hmmm...A scale might be OK if it was accurate, but how could they calibrate one to take the listing of the ship in account? Our scale at home constantly has to be moved to zero prior to weighing ourselves..IMO the only perfect scales are the ones where you move the weights along the bar on top of the scale..They are quite expensive & cumbersome..

If we had one in our cabin, I would probably use it more often than I do at home...But then would have a tendency to immediately starve myself to lose whatever I've gained in the previous days..:eek:

cheers..:)Betty

For some of us (and probably the most successful ones) losing weight is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change and becomes part of who we are.

Roy

Ah yes - a pearl of wisdom here that I wanted to point out.

Losing weight is NOT a diet. And that's where people fail in general because they alter their lives in a way which isn't sustainable for forever. Nobody thinks about the fact that the changes they make need to be made for forever....

Those that are successful have changed their thinking. Changed their emotions. Etc.

CC has a forum "Lose Before you Cruise" and it seems to be quite active. That might be just what you are suggesting?

A thread? There's a whole forum for that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=149

Sail, please do report back on your travel scale.

Roy

Exactly.

Diets don't work long term. Lifestyle is the only way to keep a healthy weight. One needs to make permanent adjustments to what, how, when they eat and make it a way of life for the rest of their life for long term success. IMO

Sure, if one only wants to lose 5 lbs before their cruise, the under 50 age group can usually do that easily. For the over 50 age group, it gets tougher and most of learn it's so much easier to never gain those pounds than to try and lose them.

I'm eager to see the scale I ordered. I do not think it will be very useful when the ship is moving but think there's a decent chance for reasonable accuracy when the ship is tied up at dock.

I'll report back. :)

We're going to a land resort vacation prior to our next cruise and I likely will bring the travel scale there with us if I like it when I receive it.

I repeat, it really pleases me when we check into a hotel and I see a scale on the bathroom floor. No one makes anyone use it if they don't wish. One can certainly hide it in a closet for their stay if they don't want to look at it. :)

We've booked a cruise on Celebrity Century in cabin 1066 Check out this photo of the bathroom. That looks like a scale to me.

1066.gif.

Thanks for the photo.

I was positive we had sailed with a scale in our cabin and I suspect I am remembering it from Royal Suite cruises on Zenith, years ago.

I've got that series on my DVR...have to sit down to watch it one of these days....

Wishing you the very best on your weight loss journey..... I have returned to my pre pregnancy weight for over a year now...my son is 26 LOL

I urge you to watch the documentary... even though I work in health care and thought I knew it all. and had already reached my goal...the information I gleaned has but many things into perspective for me.

We all know exercise and healthy food choices are the answer... however watch the documentary ..I think you will find it very frightening,insightful but most importantly...inspiring...makes reducing sugar in your life a "piece of cake" LOL

Best of Luck

Colleen

Talk about losing weight, are those granite tiles or plastic/composition tiles all over the Celebrity cabin bathroom walls? Looks very stylish, but I can't imagine the fuel costs pushing a ship around if all their bathrooms had that much granite tile.

I received my travel scale yesterday.

Ordered from Amazon, by NewLine NY, Mini travel bathroom scale.

though it does not say so in their product description, it weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. It is flat and boxed compactly and easy to travel with. I tested it three times against my usual bathroom scale and it is about 2 pounds difference but as long as I know that, I have a baseline and can gauge.

I am very pleased with the product. Will remove the battery between uses so the cell doesn't wear down when I an simply storing it.

If we are traveling by other than air, it will always be in my suitcase.

If we are traveling by air, I will have to decide if I want to give up that weight in place of something else I can bring.

Just FYI. :)

The price was about $22. I've forgotten exactly.

I received my travel scale yesterday.

Ordered from Amazon, by NewLine NY, Mini travel bathroom scale.

though it does not say so in their product description, it weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. It is flat and boxed compactly and easy to travel with. I tested it three times against my usual bathroom scale and it is about 2 pounds difference but as long as I know that, I have a baseline and can gauge.

I am very pleased with the product. Will remove the battery between uses so the cell doesn't wear down when I an simply storing it.

If we are traveling by other than air, it will always be in my suitcase.

If we are traveling by air, I will have to decide if I want to give up that weight in place of something else I can bring.

Just FYI. :)

The price was about $22. I've forgotten exactly.

Glad it worked out for you Sail - $22 is a nominal cost for something you will use all the time:D

Archived