Specialty Restaurants. Worth the cost?

NavyCruiser

What's everyone's thoughts about the extra cost specialty restaurants?

Are they worth the extra $$$?

For example, in the specialty steakhouse, do they serve the exact same type of steak/meat as the main dining room? or is it better/higher quality?

We've only dine at the specialty restaurant once many many years ago, just because they gave us a bottle of wine for our anniversary dinner at that time. Had a great experience, but not sure we want to spend the extra $$$ again, esp w/ our 2 kids also...

Thoughts?

The cut and food is different in the steak house. The lobster is supposed to be real main lobster (what you get in the dining room is not).

I dont like Italian, but others say its worth the $12 to eat in the Italian restaurant on Dream class.

It is different quality of food and a better cut of steak.

You can also get a free bottle of wine the first night for your table in the steak house.

I love the steakhouses and think they are worth every penny. I actually don't eat much red meat so can't compare to the dining room but the lamb I had was incredible. My son and boyfriend demolished their steaks, saying they were some of the best they've ever had. And the service is amazing as well.

How old are your kids? I would think that, if they're not in their teens, the experience might be a bit much for them and there's no kids' menu. If they're younger and go the Camp Carnival, maybe you could do the steakhouse on a night when they're there?

I would like to know more information regarding the italian restaurants on the ships. I love family-style italian dining but haven't heard anything about this on the ships. All I hear about is the steakhouse (and I'm not a huge fan of steak or seafood so it's not really for me).

What's everyone's thoughts about the extra cost specialty restaurants?

Are they worth the extra $$$?

For example, in the specialty steakhouse, do they serve the exact same type of steak/meat as the main dining room? or is it better/higher quality?

We've only dine at the specialty restaurant once many many years ago, just because they gave us a bottle of wine for our anniversary dinner at that time. Had a great experience, but not sure we want to spend the extra $$$ again, esp w/ our 2 kids also...

Thoughts?

We try to book two meals in the specialty restaurant on every cruise, usually, the elegant nights since it's easier to get a reservation. The menu selections are on par with NYC restaurants. We love the cheese and dessert carts. We don't go for the lobster since we live by the water in NYC and have lobster and king crab legs frequently at home. The service is far more attentive than in the main dining room because there are far fewer tables to take of. The ambiance is very mellow, usually with a live combo and dance floor. For us the restaurants are worth every penny and then some. BTW, if you're looking for a romantic dinner for two, the specialty restaurant is the way to go.

My husband and I just ate at the steakhouse on the Carnival Pride last Sunday. It was the first evening of our cruise and yes, we did get a free bottle of wine with our dinner. If you appreciate a great meal I would definitely recommend eating there once during your cruise. The bread alone was outstanding! I don't even like steak that much but I can tell you, that filet mignon disappeared from my plate pretty quick-like! I like the idea of going while your kids are busy off doing something else as well.

We just ate at the steakhouse on the Valor this past week... $35PP..... and the food was SUBLIME. We were at a table for 8 people and everybody raved about the food.... ( we combined tables with a family we met on the cruise ).

The cut and food is different in the steak house. The lobster is supposed to be real main lobster (what you get in the dining room is not).

I dont like Italian, but others say its worth the $12 to eat in the Italian restaurant on Dream class.

It is different quality of food and a better cut of steak.

You can also get a free bottle of wine the first night for your table in the steak house.

The main dining room serves spiny lobster from warm waters (all tail very little claws) and the specialty restaurants serve Maine lobster from cold northeastern waters (big claws and tail).

I think it is so worth it. I loved the atmosphere, the food was a higher quality than the MDR. MY appetizers were great as was the dessert. My steak however was not great, it had a lot of grizzle. Next time I am going to order the Lamb as I hear it is fantastic.

i have had both.. i personally dont think the steak house is worth the money. i had the filet it was top notch and very tender.. as good of a steak as you can find anywhere. I had the crab cakes as an appetizer also very good and the cheesecake for dessert. no complaints but at 35 pp it just doesnt seem to be worth it to me. The italian is worth the xtra pp since its a huge upgrade to the mdr menu on a couple of the nights and only 10 pp. so basically it comes down to the price over what you get for free in the mdr.. i said in my review that i posted earlier that the flat iron steak was suprisingly good in the mdr this cruise. i had the chicken pamigiana at the cucina del capitano and it was fantastic. side note i had the ceaser salad and its the real deal.. dont really like the anchovy taste.. also in the steak house i had blue cheese dressing on my salad and its the real deal as well.. i wasnt crazy about either salads

I would like to know more information regarding the italian restaurants on the ships. I love family-style italian dining but haven't heard anything about this on the ships. All I hear about is the steakhouse (and I'm not a huge fan of steak or seafood so it's not really for me).

I posted .. but dont see my post now?? hmm.

Only Magic and Breeze have the night time pay option for the Italian. Dream has the restaurant, but only open at lunch when its free (Dream got shorted a lot of goodies if you ask me).

MagicPreview034.jpg

I would love to try the specialty/steak house restaurant on one of my cruises, but my husband is of the opinion that we're already paying for our food in the MDR, so why pay extra for it? Even with telling him it's better quality, he won't budge. Guess someday I'll have to go by myself!:)

Absolutely YES!

In my opinion, the Steakhouse is the only place on a Carnival ship these days where you can experience truly superb cuisine and ambiance. The cuts of meat, ingredients, side dishes and desserts are much better than anything else on the ship. The Steakhouse has become the highlight of every Carnival cruise we've taken recently.

Is it worth it? It depends on your likes. If you enjoy a more sedated and upscale ambiance, and if you have a discerning palate that can tell the difference between a cheap flat iron steak and a high quality filet mignon, or if you can tell the difference between fresh ingredients and frozen ones, the Steakhouse is definitely for you!

I would love to try the specialty/steak house restaurant on one of my cruises, but my husband is of the opinion that we're already paying for our food in the MDR, so why pay extra for it? Even with telling him it's better quality, he won't budge. Guess someday I'll have to go by myself!:)

We sorta agree. Actually the MDR food is not really "Free", we already paid good money for it. If it's around the $12 mark, then we think it's worth it. But if it's $35 pp X 4 (w/ our 2 teenage kids) = $140, do they add 15% gratuities to that also? My prefers to go shopping with that $$$ instead...

Please define "worth it".

For me

The additional costs associated with Ruths Chris for a steak vs. Sizzeler is "worth it".

Not so for many people.

I agree,

Is is better than the main diningroom, YES

Is the food better/fancier, YES

Is it like a fancy steak house, NO

Do I go every cruise, YES

Has the quality gone down in the last few years, YES

Are the portions larger than MDR, YES YES

Is it the same as Ruth Chris or Sizzler, NO, someplace in the middle

If you compare it to the last time you did it, you will be disappointed.

If you go on the second or third night, after eating in the MDR will it be worth it, YES

IMO, if the kids are older than 5 or 6, and liked school and new stuff, take them with, they will have fun. If they did not really care for new things at school, and learning (grown-up stuff) they might rather go to the kids club.

If you go on the second or third night, after eating in the MDR will it be worth it, YES

Yup, there's no way to eat the Flat Iron Steak at the MDR after going to the Steakhouse without thinking that it tastes like a rubber shoe sole similar to something served at Denny's.....just my humble opinon...:o

I always make it a point to eat in the specialty restaurant at least once because I feel it's well worth it... we will be doing it on our first night this cruise coming up in January because its my fiance's b-day... so what better way to start it off then with a fantastic dinner and free wine!

For me it is well worth it

The last couple times we ate 2 or times on a 7 day

The steaks are real, prime meat ( not like the shoulder meat they serve in the mdr)

And the lobster .... As other have stated is cold water lobster not warm water spiney

I am planning on making reservations for our first night at the Steakhouse. I know we will receive a free bottle of wine:) My question is, if we don't finish the wine at dinner, can we take it with us back to our cabin to enjoy later? It takes us a while to finish a bottle of wine.

For us, it's absolutely worth it! I've been taking DD to the steakhouse on our cruises since she was 8 and she loves it, too.

The food is far superior to anything you'll have in the MDR and the service is excellent. Someone mentioned live music--haven't had live music there in years (at least not when we've gone), but TBH, I really don't care about that.

We're going on the Inspiration in August and there's no steakhouse. So disappointed. But, at least they have Chef's Table. :D

Archived