Those who have done late dining, lend me your ear

twindaddy

Thanks for your input, I would imagine many choose it just to get away from the legions of kids.

My children are very well behaved most of the time (I am a former juvenile hall guard and my wife is a current corrections officer), and if they are not they get a one way ticket out of the dining room. I go out of my way to be considerate of others around us. Funny story, one night one of my girls had a mini fit about something in the dining room on Disney, lasted about 30 seconds and I hauled her out of the dining room to sit in the atrium while she calmed down. She hates being away from her sister, and begged to back in. When we got back in, I made her go to every table around us and apologize for being so loud. My wife said it was humiliating to her, but I was trying to make her realize how her behavior affects others. Not sure if that was the best things to do, but we have had very few problems since.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I am glad you make your kids behave, but going around to all the tables, just makes other people uncomfortable. I seriously hate when parents do this. Other people are just happy you handled it, we don't want or need to get in your business and you are dragging us into an awkward position on our vacation. Please reconsider this, as I for one would have told you to go back to your seat and stop putting on a show for others.

I am glad you make your kids behave, but going around to all the tables, just makes other people uncomfortable. I seriously hate when parents do this. Other people are just happy you handled it, we don't want or need to get in your business and you are dragging us into an awkward position on our vacation. Please reconsider this, as I for one would have told you to go back to your seat and stop putting on a show for others.

Ok, thats one take on it. It wasnt a show for others, or I would have made an announcement in the dining room with a microphone. If I recall correctly, we went to three tables right near us and got a good reaction at two and a very strange look at one. Live and learn, I probably wouldnt do it again, parenting is kind of trial and error.

When it comes to parenting, I only get truly annoyed when I see bad behavior and a parent doing NOTHING. But that is a different topic for a different thread, and I appreciate your take on this one, I am always up for feedback.

Good point. Thanks for the input. That is fine too, my girls are very outgoing, we have to drag them out of the kids club for meals most times.

kids club will really cut into the girls activities and they will have much down time.

Clubs close at 5pm and open back at 7. (most kids are at early dining. few kids are at later seating)

By the time the girls get done eating the clubs will be winding down.

Kids-no kids doesn't matter, for us late seating was always the choice. I hated being taken away from the deck during the best part of the day (which is when it empties for the early diners to get ready for dinner).:)

Living in Maine, where the days are very short and sunshine is something we crave (well, WARM sunshine :)), there was no way I'd miss a second of it.

Yes, there are lots of kids at late seating too. On our last cruise we had a huge family at the table next to us with a lot of kids (they were so adorable and HAPPY and just amazing) and the wait staff was SO good with them.

Late seating rocks...go for it :)

We love it... we have kids and have always done late. They started cruising when they were 3 and 9. They are now 14 and 20 and still prefer late. Reasons: Not rushed when returning from ports. We all enjoy the pools, so no need to start heading back at 4 or so. True, the kids might get hungry, but they enjoy having a small snack from room service to hold them over until dinner time. And, on the formal nights, we don't have to worry about heading back to the cabins at about 330 to start getting ready. And with a late seating, you can always take a power nap after chilling by the pool... anyhow, those are my thoughts :)

We have had late dining with our kids before we did ATD. My husband always wanted to have sushi and was not ready for early dining. We have two teenagers and a young one. Late dining was our preference before ATD.

I really didn't notice a difference in the number of kids when we did late as opposed to doing "early". The only problem "I" had with "late" dining was some of the shows started right around 8:30-9:00 my son was in Circle C (the middle teen club) and a lot of activities started at 9:00 so he was always in a rush to get thru dinner and back to the club. I finally blew off him meeting us for dinner and just let him get pizza with friends. LOL...one time my poor son didn't get the message I left for him and he ended up at the table alone...he said it was an awesome meal...he had the whole 10 person table to himself and the waiters entertained him...He got fast service then he went back to the club.

Dining is not in STONE...if you can't make a particular time...they don't make you "walk the plank". You have a guaranteed reservation if you show up at your designated early or late time. If you want to get early seating one night...you'll have to wait till a table opens up and you'll be put at whatever table is available. The only time it might be a little difficult is on "formal" night...because so many attend formal night. The only reason "I" like set time dining is because my teenage son is a "club junkie" he LOVES hanging out with the teen club. It's a great way to "check in" with him.

Both early and late dining...It all depends on the person. I found as the cruise goes on with food available 24/7 multiple buffets for snacking, delicious sandwiches...etc...we're not super religious about ALWAYS eating in the dining room. This trip coming up we're going to Alaska...it has some odd times for port days. I'm not holding my breath that we're going to always make it to the dining room or on time.

For those who have done late dining, are there any kids at all in the dining room? I was hoping we would get seated with another family with kids of a similar age, or atleast near some. We will be a party of five.

Yes

Bingo. We always felt rushed out of ports, and missed all the pier runners because many times the ship was leaving while we were at dinner. We are just late kind of folks. I have heard the servers are less rushed, but who know if that is true, I never felt rushed in early dining...

If Carnival ever figures out how much fun it is to watch the pier runners, they'll start charging for it as an excursion at $99 in Cozumel and Nassau!

Not as many kids at late seating.

We are doing our first Carnival Cruise on the Splendor in December. All of our past Disney Cruises we had grandma with us and she demanded early dining (no ATD on Disney).

This time we are giving late seating a try. We are just late night people. My daugthers typically do not go to bed until 10ish at home and around midnight on a cruise, and sleep till around 10AM every day.

For those who have done late dining, are there any kids at all in the dining room? I was hoping we would get seated with another family with kids of a similar age, or atleast near some. We will be a party of five.

So, those who have experienced late dining, what is the kid forcast?

HI---REGARDING EARLY OR LATE DINING--WE REFER EARLY DINING WHICH IS----6pm---late dining at 8PM---DEPENDING ON THE AGE OF THE CHILD----WE WOULD REFER EARLY----THERE ARE NO CHILDREN ON LATE DINING. WHEN AT ONE TIME WE DID LATE DINING---THE ONLY CHILDREN WE SAW---WERE TEENS----INCIDENTALLY---CARNIVAL--DOES HAVE CAMP CARNIVAL ----AND THEY PROVIDE DINING FOR THE CHILD---SO--GOOD LUCK---IRENE AND JOHN----

We (family of 5) have been cruising since our youngest (now 15) was 7. We have always done late dining and we have always been paired with another similar family in the dining room. There are other kids in the late seating. Also, when our kids had something to do in CC, O2 or Circle C that conflicted with late dining, we let them opt out and eat at the buffet. Our kids have always had a blast and so have we.

Thank you everyone for your input, lots of great suggestions and insights. I think late dining will fit us perfect. I didnt realize there were so many late dining fans on here, the majority seem to prefer early.

When our kids were younger, we always did late dinning. This allowed them time to rest after our excursions, and ready for dinner. They would not always sleep, but at least had resting time, and we did not have to rush back on board to make dinner. Sometimes the dinner times start while you are still in port. They may have missed out on some of the carnival activities, but they still had a great time.

I'll be on the Carnival Splendor in a couple of weeks. I'll try to get the different age groups schedules and post them. Then you can have more information to make a decision. I always have late dining and though the amount of children is less than early seating there are always some.

Enjoy

Ron

I'll be on the Carnival Splendor in a couple of weeks. I'll try to get the different age groups schedules and post them. Then you can have more information to make a decision. I always have late dining and though the amount of children is less than early seating there are always some.

Enjoy

Ron

Awesome, thanks Ron. If you happen upon the 5-7 year old schedules, I would be a very happy camper, and I would do my best to send the upgrade fairy in your direction. Or a beverage of your choice at the Disneyland Hotel next time I am in town.

We've seen plenty of kids at late dining. Maybe not as many as early seating would have, but there are still kids there.

We don't have kids, but really enjoy late seating. It's so nice not to have to rush back from ports, have time for a snack and maybe a nap, and then take your time getting ready for dinner.

Ditto!:D

one night one of my girls had a mini fit about something in the dining room on Disney, lasted about 30 seconds I made her go to every table around us and apologize for being so loud. My wife said it was humiliating to her, but I was trying to make her realize how her behavior affects others.

Now that's good parenting....:)

We have done early twice and anytime once. We have a child (age 8), and if she did late dining she would fall asleep in her soup. We try very hard to stay on the same schedule as home on a cruise, be it meals and bedtime. We are up at 7, 8 at the latest having breakfast in the buffet or on a rare occasion the MDR, then off the ship at Port.

We run port pretty hard, visiting hiking trails, schools, street venders, wandering quiet parts of town or non-tourist beaches and searching out local foods, we are beat at the end of the day. Nearly all the ports we have visited, the ship has us back on board by 5. Never had a chance to be in port after 5, this being said, it is easy to hop back on ship, drop off bags and hit dinner time.

After dinner it is a quick dip or slide for my daughter, or a baord game in the game room with us or maybe even an early show. Then back to the room for her bedtime 8PM, at times it lingers till 9, especially if it is a production she's enjoying. Yet, I have seen her fall asleep at even those.

There are times the wife will get up after the daughter is sleeping and go to a late activity past 10PM ( I am down for the count or reading in bed).

So eating past 8...just isn't going to happen for this family.

Wow that's harsh!! Since when is teaching your children how to behave and think about how their how actions can affect others a bad thing??? You just sound like a grumpy person

Wow that's harsh!! Since when is teaching your children how to behave and think about how their how actions can affect others a bad thing??? You just sound like a grumpy person

Everyone has different parenting styles, I guess mine didnt mesh with hers, but I dont get the feeling she has kids. I cant get mad at her response because I am the one who put it out there what I did.

Archived