Just returned Viking Freya Budapest to Amsterdam...thoughts and tips

Riversedge

Thank you so much for the info. We cruised to Bermuda in April with RCCL and we are looking for something a little more intimate. I have been looking at several cruise lines but after reading these posts and also seeing a response from Viking I have put them at the top of my list. I am looking at 2013( need time to save up) Vineyards and Vistas or Paris to Normandy. I was looking at Celebritys wine immersion cruise but I felt like cattle on the last cruise and also a bit seasick. Thank you again for your review.

Thank you so much for the info. We cruised to Bermuda in April with RCCL and we are looking for something a little more intimate. I have been looking at several cruise lines but after reading these posts and also seeing a response from Viking I have put them at the top of my list. I am looking at 2013( need time to save up) Vineyards and Vistas or Paris to Normandy. I was looking at Celebritys wine immersion cruise but I felt like cattle on the last cruise and also a bit seasick. Thank you again for your review.

One thing you will want to bear in mind is that river boats are obviously a lot smaller than ocean going cruise ships and they can often be sold out a year or so in advance.

LAUREN,

Thank you so much for the great review and information. We are going on our first river cruise next fall and will be doing the same itinerary. Needless to say, it was so nice to get a positive and objective review. We were getting concerned that we may have booked with the wrong river cruise line! There seemed to be more negative comments. We have been on many cruises and do not think our river cruise will be at all like ocean cruising. Actually, we are excited that it will be more relaxed. We are going specifically to see the sights.

Your packing informtion will be most helpful when we get ready for our trip. Also, your comments about money prompts me to ask...about how many euros would you suggest for the 2 week trip? When you did give extra $ to staff, I assume it was in euros and not USD?

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such a thorough review and for helping out your fellow cruisers!

what a great thread - thank you:)

I am looking for as much education as I can get before our first potential river cruise - do you mind if I ask? how many people were on your tours.?

was it the standard 40? did the boat dock close enough that you could do it on your own if you wanted?

We're thinking about staying an extra day in Amsterdam or arriving a day early in Budapest. Sounds like you'd recommend the latter? I've been to Amsterdam before but not Budapest. Assume we could get hotel fairly close to where riverboat docks and then just get a taxi to take us to the boat? Thanks again so much for your review. I've written down 22 of your suggestions!! :)

I would STRONGLY recommend arriving 2-3 days early in Budapest. Even though we were still in Budapest another day after we checked in at the boat we still did not have enough time. Loved, loved, loved that city.

One day was enough for us in Amsterdam. Although it was fun to see because we had never been there before, it was so different from every other city where we docked. Much dirtier, felt less safe, different sort of people on the street (probably due to the legal drugs and prostitution) In Amsterdam we did the Anne Frank House (book your tickets ahead online...the ticket line was long), went on a canal cruise and walked around the city. We felt one day was enough there unless you took a trip outside of the city. The red light district was interesting to say the least, even in the daytime! We stayed at the Hilton by the airport. We paid $120.00 USD. We could walk to the terminal in the morning which was a big plus for us. Took about 15 minutes and it was almost completely covered. Free luggage carts outside the hotel. Be prepared that the taxis to the airport from the dock are expensive. I think it equaled out to about $65.00 USD. Viking allowed us to leave our luggage onboard in a locked room for the day while we toured and then arranged a taxi for us to get to the Hilton.

Budapest was a dream. Lovely architecture, clean streets, beautiful friendly people. The first night we stayed at the Airport Inn because we were arriving late. Free shuttle which took about 5 minutes. Very clean but basic. We paid $89.00 USD. The next night we stayed at the Hotel Corvinus Kempinsky. Highly recommend it. They allowed us to check in at 10:30 a.m. and the front desk was so efficient and friendly. A very classy hotel and within walking distance of most everything or you can take the trams. We paid $149.00 USD

We booked all of our hotels ahead of time using a combination of Orbitz and Expedia. Prices were a lot better than booking directly with the hotel and we could pay US dollars on our credit card without a foreign exchange fee. Check out Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity because prices for the same hotels varied quite a bit between the 3 of them.

In Budapest be sure to visit the Market (closed on Sundays). We took the tram there. Very easy. We walked across the Chain Bridge and visited the Cave Church, walked around the Castle, went to St, Stephen's Cathedral (a must do), went to the Parliment building and the Walk of Terror which is also a must-do. There were fun street booths to shop and we went to a local beer festival. The buildings there were so incredible. We walked around in awe the whole time! We could easily have spent another day or two.

I would STRONGLY recommend arriving 2-3 days early in Budapest. Even though we were still in Budapest another day after we checked in at the boat we still did not have enough time. Loved, loved, loved that city.

One day was enough for us in Amsterdam. Although it was fun to see because we had never been there before, it was so different from every other city where we docked. Much dirtier, felt less safe, different sort of people on the street (probably due to the legal drugs and prostitution) In Amsterdam we did the Anne Frank House (book your tickets ahead online...the ticket line was long), went on a canal cruise and walked around the city. We felt one day was enough there unless you took a trip outside of the city. The red light district was interesting to say the least, even in the daytime!

I completely agree about Amsterdam. It was a disappointment in every sense and not a place we have any interest in returning to.

We are booked for 3 nights in Budapest and are very much looking forward to it. We have a private guide for 4 hours and plan to visit the baths and the central market as well on another day, with a possible side trip to Terezin.

We booked at Marriott Millenium Apartements for 106E per night for three adults - a two bedroom, two bath unit of 900 sq ft. Laundry on each floor so we can wash clothes prior to boarding our boat.

Really looking forward to this trip!

I apologize for high jacking this thread but I need a little advice, Caviargirl!!Wishing I knew how to send you a private message.

We are taking a river cruise next April on the Rhone and it is our first time to visit Paris..I have some issues with the hotel booked by AMA (Pullman Montparnasse).There are so many places to chose from. Do you have any personal advice on a good spot to stay? Something close to all attractions?

Thanks.

BTW I am not a fan of Amsterdam either. Downtown core was seedy , walking dificult with all the thousands bicycles. Canals were a disappointment.

On the other hand Budapest was spectacular. Make sure you save some room to eat at the Kiosks at the central market. We stayed at the Sofratel on the river and it was central to all and the breakfast was abundant. Book a spot for dinner at the cafes on the river and order Chicken paprika!

I apologize for high jacking this thread but I need a little advice, Caviargirl!!Wishing I knew how to send you a private message.

We are taking a river cruise next April on the Rhone and it is our first time to visit Paris..I have some issues with the hotel booked by AMA (Pullman Montparnasse).There are so many places to chose from. Do you have any personal advice on a good spot to stay? Something close to all attractions?

Thanks.

Hi Karen. I would not choose Montparnesse either as it is low on charm IMO.

Without knowing your tastes and budget, check these out:

-Hyatt Regency Madeline using Hyatt Stay Certificates, a good deal just book the room at the same time you buy the certificates as availability at that rate is limited

-Jardin de L'Odeon -small, charming, excellent location and great staff

-Hotel Odeon Saint Germain - same as above

My friends just stayed at the Melia Royal Alma and really enjoyed it.

what a great thread - thank you:)

I am looking for as much education as I can get before our first potential river cruise - do you mind if I ask? how many people were on your tours.?

was it the standard 40? did the boat dock close enough that you could do it on your own if you wanted?

I would guess we had about 30 people in a group. It varied a little from day to day. The majority of the time the ship docked where you could get off and do your own thing. Even if there was a short bus ride, you could still ride the bus, do your own thing and then meet the bus for the ride back. You can also start out in a group and if you don't like it you can leave at any time and go on your own.

On a typical day we would do the walking tour with the group in the morning, go back for lunch on the ship and then go off on our own in the afternoon. Our favorite places were where the bus took you on a little sightseeing tour first because then you had a good idea where to go back on your own in the afternoon. We are definitely not "herders" and didn't know how we would like being led around but the tours were usually around an hour and a half and that worked well for us.

One thing I can warn: When they say to meet in a certain place at a certain time to catch the bus you need to be there a few minutes early. When it's time to go, it's time to go. They do count people on the bus but sometimes they walk you to the bus because it's parked in a different location than when they dropped you off.

I guess I am in the minority, but I liked Amsterdam. :) Yes, there were parts of the city that I felt could have been cleaner, but overall, I loved the walkability of the city and the architecture and the canals. Did I like the smaller towns more? Oh yes, I found them so charming. But, still, I liked Amsterdam.

I guess I am in the minority, but I liked Amsterdam. :) Yes, there were parts of the city that I felt could have been cleaner, but overall, I loved the walkability of the city and the architecture and the canals. Did I like the smaller towns more? Oh yes, I found them so charming. But, still, I liked Amsterdam.

We did as well...

We flew in 2 days ahead of our cruise, and stayed in a quirky 2 star hotel close to the Anne Frank House. The canal cruise we took wasn't spectacular, but a good way to see the city.

We also did a history walk, and then visited the Dutch Resistance Museum before we left.

We found it quite walkable - once we got used to staying away from the bicycle lanes!!!

Fran

We did as well...

We found it quite walkable - once we got used to staying away from the bicycle lanes!!!

Fran

Lol! My husband had spent quite a bit of time in Holland on business, so he was quite familiar with the bicycle lanes. At first, he had to keep yanking me back out of the way, as I would step into those lanes to get ready to cross the street and nearly get mowed down by oncoming bicycle traffic. But, it sure didn't take long for me to get acclimated and become the one who would warn others of the oncoming bicyclists. ;)

TripAdvisor has a great app for Amsterdam (and other large cities)which does not require wi-fi. Just load it, update it before you exit the ship with their wi-fi and you have a great interactive map of attractions, restaurants, neighborhoods, etc. We used that app on my Nook tablet to orient ourselves and seek out some sights we wanted to see on our last day b/f leaving for the airport.

One day was enough for us in Amsterdam. Although it was fun to see because we had never been there before, it was so different from every other city where we docked. Much dirtier, felt less safe, different sort of people on the street (probably due to the legal drugs and prostitution)

I absolutely agree. Our first visit to Amsterdam was on an Ocean cruise which started in Copenhagen. Visiting those two cities on successive days really made for a stark comparison. Both are walkable cities but the "anything goes" attitude in Amsterdam permeates every aspect of the city. The Danes seem to be able to leave their bicycles in neat racks without having to attach the huge chains and locks that are an integral part of biking in Amsterdam. Our guide in Amsterdam even joked in showing us a flea market that the market is where they go to buy back their stolen bikes!

To all of you experienced Viking cruisers,

The OP mentioned "leisurely" tours offered each day. Have any of you used these and, if so, could you tell a little more about them.

Looking forward to our first river cruise and would like as much info as possible.

Thank you so much,

GC

To all of you experienced Viking cruisers,

The OP mentioned "leisurely" tours offered each day. Have any of you used these and, if so, could you tell a little more about them.

Looking forward to our first river cruise and would like as much info as possible.

Thank you so much,

GC

I'm hoping that someone who has does them will join in. When they were giving our nightly talk on the following day's ports they almost always offered a leisurely tour. They said it was the same tour as everyone else, it just went at a slower pace and did not stop and stand very long in one spot. The guides were to talk as you were walking so that standing in one spot was limited. We never chose that tour so can't speak to the actuality.

LAUREN,

Your packing informtion will be most helpful when we get ready for our trip. Also, your comments about money prompts me to ask...about how many euros would you suggest for the 2 week trip? When you did give extra $ to staff, I assume it was in euros and not USD?quote]

We got about 700 Euros altogether but ended up bringing home about 200. We used Forints in Hungary, not Euros. Most of your expenses will be daily tips for the bus drivers and local tour guides and taxis. The taxi to the airport in Amsterdam was expensive. We used some Euros for shopping but put most everything else on the credit card.

We put our shipboard tips on our account so that got paid for with a credit card. We did give USD to one staff member because at the time we wanted to give it all my husband had in his pocket was dollars. They didn't seem to mind:) The other extra tips were Euros.

They don't change money on the boat but will change large bills for smaller ones.

BTW I am not a fan of Amsterdam either. Downtown core was seedy , walking dificult with all the thousands bicycles. Canals were a disappointment.

On the other hand Budapest was spectacular. Make sure you save some room to eat at the Kiosks at the central market. We stayed at the Sofratel on the river and it was central to all and the breakfast was abundant. Book a spot for dinner at the cafes on the river and order Chicken paprika!

The Sofitel looked like a good choice. It was one of our considerations when we booked the Kempinsky.

I second the idea of the chicken paprika. We ate at a sidewalk cafe in Budapest and I had that and my husband had goulash soup. It was one of our best meals of the whole trip. Be sure to bring back some paprika. It's the "thing" to buy in Budapest.

We did a Rhine River cruise (Basel to Amsterdam) on Uniworld Antoinette in September 2011. Enjoyed it very much and am now researching other cruises. Budapest-Amsterdam is high on the list, so I am enjoying your account of your trip.

Re: the shore excursions...did you have individual listening devices? (I forget what they called them on Uniworld.) It made the tours really enjoyable because you didn't have to crowd the guide or try to hear over ambient noise.

One alternative to spending time in Amsterdam at the beginning or end of the trip is to board the train and spend a couple of days in Bruge, Belgium. It is a wonderful, walkable, medieval city only a half-day away by train and well worth the time. The Amsterdam train station is within walking distance of the docks the river cruise ships use. We changed trains at Antwerp. You could then return to Amsterdam for your flight home. The train takes you right to Schipol. US Flights out of Brussels are sometimes cheaper than other European cities.

I have one suggestion re: credit cards. Be sure the card you take with you has a 'chip'. More and more european cards have a chip and some places (Amsterdam train station for one) will not take US credit cards without a chip. Apparently it increases protection against fraud.

Archived