Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Those are beautiful dresses!! I still haven't had time to post any of mine. I did wear a sundress that I made to work yesterday. We've had unseasonably warm weather this week. Back to normal, cooler weather tomorrow.

This is what I wore for formal night. I made the top and hand bag. The bag does fold right but In the picture I did not place it right on the bed. The top is a lose fit. does not look huge when worn.

IMG_1899_zps92023551.jpg

IMG_1926_zpsc6d01590.jpg

IMG_1898_zpsde6c1787.jpg

Sorry for the big pictures. The make the outfit look huge!

Lovely...will you shaare the pattern numbers?

It is a simplicity pattern. I got the link form another post of mine on this thread. I can't see the pattern number. But I do have the pattern. As soon as our car gets here (right now it is some where between NYS and Fl. on a car transport). The pattern is in the trunk of the car. We flew home from our winter home in Fl this AM and we ship the car. When the car gets here in the next few days I will post the pattern number.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKs82NEMkwVzWNDyE6oI4yTrw4mHdEJN47r7bSKt5nCNGAI5GfYQ

Did a search and found the pattern number. 4134

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kimono-Tie-Wrap-2-Lengths-Bag-Handbag-Pattern-Simplicity-4134-Sizes-XXS-XS-S-M-/181372170809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3a9fb239

I believe the pattern is out of print.

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks...we're doing Hawaii, Tahiti, etc on Princess in the fall, and it would be great. Perhaps I can find a similar pattern. I'll have to start looking.

Hope you found good weather on your return.

Joanie

I forgot, the pant I brought and the purse I made with no pattern. Just used a rectangle pieces of fabric. I used two different fabrics for the bag. Quilted the out side piece. The placed the two fabrics together (right sides together to sew) But one thing I did between the two layers of fabric (where the fabric fold over to form the close flap) I put a piece of wood (the width of the bag. the wood was about 10 inches long and 1/4 wide (round). This kept the bag folded nice when closed. With out the wood the bag dipped in the middle, like the back of an old mule.

Top is 4134 simplicity

Edited by geocruiser

I forgot, the pant I brought and the purse I made with no pattern. Just used a rectangle pieces of fabric. I used two different fabrics for the bag. Quilted the out side piece. The placed the two fabrics together (right sides together to sew) But one thing I did between the two layers of fabric (where the fabric fold over to form the close flap) I put a piece of wood (the width of the bag. the wood was about 10 inches long and 1/4 wide (round). This kept the bag folded nice when closed. With out the wood the bag dipped in the middle, like the back of an old mule.

Top is 4134 simplicity

Very clever!

Good evening everyone! There is a Easy Vogue pattern 9012 that may be similar to the Simplicity pattern geocruiser has. The top is a bit more fitted but with princess lines it should flatter many body shapes :)

Has anyone have experience with 'smock top' fabric? It may be referred to as 'mock smoked top fabric'. I have done a search and it shows making sundress for young girls but wondering about measurement for adult females - should I just use bust measurement (maybe minus an inch or two?) zip up one seam, hem it and perhaps add shoulder straps? Fabricland is offering the fabric at $12 per meter and the photo in the flyer has some nice looking prints.

Y'all have motivated me to learn to sew more than just drapes and pillows. Friday I am heading over to Joann's to sign up for sewing classes. They are having their 1/2 off sale on classes Friday and Saturday, so I decided to go for it. I have found 3 patterns that I want to make and already purchased them:

Simplicity 1355 - Misses Maxi Dress and Long or Short Jumpsuit with Bodice Variations

Simplicity 1374 - Misses Two Piece Swimsuits and Beach Cover-up (making the cover-up)

Simplicity 1429 - Misses Pull On Knit Skirt in Three Lengths, Pants or Shorts in Two Lengths

The only classes that work with my schedule are in June, so it will be a while before anything is made.

Lisa

Y'all have motivated me to learn to sew more than just drapes and pillows. Friday I am heading over to Joann's to sign up for sewing classes.

How exciting! It can quickly become addicting. The biggest challenge is the fitting. There are some terrific fitting books on the market and you might want to look into getting one. Of course, you might be one of the lucky ones that fit well straight out of the envelope. Have fun!!

How exciting! It can quickly become addicting. The biggest challenge is the fitting. There are some terrific fitting books on the market and you might want to look into getting one. Of course, you might be one of the lucky ones that fit well straight out of the envelope. Have fun!!

I wish I could fit the patterns! I am 5'11" and a D-cup, so I will need to learn how to adjust patterns to my measurements. I am looking forward to the adventure and will definitely buy a fitting book. Any recommendations?

Lisa

I have quite a few in my book collection. These three seem to be the most popular within the sewing community. For basic alterations and ease of use for beginners, I think Fast Fit is pretty good. A lot of people like Fit for Real People. It's a good book, however is uses the tissue fitting method and I've never really had much success with that, but many people have. I'm sure others will chime in with their faves!

Fast Fit by Betzina

Fitting Finesse by Zieman

Fit for Real People - Palmer, Alto

Patternreview.com is also a terrific place to get sewing information! I've been a member since it's beginnings in 2002 so I don't know what you have access to if you're not a paid member. It's like $30/yr I think. Well worth it, IMO. There are many women there who are tall and need a FBA (full bust adjustment) so you'd be in good company. As fitting alterations go, those are good ones to have ;)

This is the book I'd love to own. "Fitting and Pattern Alteration" by Judith Rasband, but at $100 I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. That's a lot of fabric.......

redlady62

The Easy Vogue pattern 9012 is nice. I will get it when Vogue goes on sale at Joann's. Looks easy to make.

RedHeadTexan,

Just love your pattern choices. Jump suits are back in. When I started sewing again (about 15 years ago) all I did was home dec. Drapes, pillows, curtains, bed spreads etc. I really don't like to do that kind of sewing any more. Now I want to wear what I sew. Like you I need to know more how to adjust a pattern. So far I have two books Couture sewing Techniques bu Claire B. Shaeffer and a easier mag/book called The Best of Threads Fitting. This is by Threads magazine.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/

msjekyl,

I love Pattern Review. I have to sign in when using the site. But it was free.

Edited by geocruiser

Good Morning everyone,

I have been busy sewing again.

Yesterday I finished the fleece jacket that my grandson wanted made. He was in sewing at school and before he was even able to make his first piece they moved him to a different subject that he needs to graduate.

Anyway, my daughter sent the material to me and asked if I would make it for him since she had spent so much on everything. I told her yes and have been working on this thing for 3 days now. I really don't understand this teachers idea of these kids that have never sewn before or even been in front of a sewing machine making something this difficult.

I have sewn everything from a simple apron to making wedding dresses and this thing was difficult for me. (I have been sewing for 50 years)

The teacher gave the kids a list of what was needed and can I say he isnot the smartest cookie here. After the jacket is cut out there is over a yard of material left, the zipper that he had on the list is a 30 inch separating zipper and the pattern calls for a 24", and he had them get a lot of things that weren't needed like interfacing and hem binding and etc. but didn't have them get ling for the pockets.

The pattern is a Mccalls @M5252. Those of us that sew can figure the pattern out but a beginner would have a rough time with it and I could see my grandson after about 10 minutes with it. The jacket would be in the trash and him gone. He's not a patient person and gets upset very easily, not so much at other people but at himself. He is a perfectionist all the way.

Well with all of the extra material I am going to make him a matching vest today. This is a very heavy fleece material that she got him so it should keep him very warm, even in Wyoming in the winter. He doesn't like to wear a winter coat so now he won't have too.

When I went to Joann's yesterday to get the lining for the pockets I made a huge mistake of going down an aisle there. An entire section (2 sided) was full of 1/2 price marked down material. I got everything from cotton to wedding lace. I went in for 1/4 yd of lining and walked out 150 dollars later but I did get the lining!:eek::D

I guess there is some sewing in my future. I even got some ribbon and embellishments to make sashes for the girls dresses, I got the some really cute headbands that I am going to bling up for them to wear with their dresses too.

When I finish them I will post pictures for you to see.

Well, we are supposed to get to 107 degrees tomorrow and Sat. so I hope the pool is warmed up enough to get in it because I am going to try to get some swimming in this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day and happy sewing,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

When I went to Joann's yesterday to get the lining for the pockets I made a huge mistake of going down an aisle there. An entire section (2 sided) was full of 1/2 price marked down material. I got everything from cotton to wedding lace. I went in for 1/4 yd of lining and walked out 150 dollars later but I did get the lining!:eek::D

I can SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relate to this. In October, I spent about $360 at Pacific Fabrics. I've made a lot of it but still have 4 things to make. And I've bought more material since then. :rolleyes: My husband has 'decreed' that I can't buy anymore materials until I get what I have made. So I bought some yarn to crochet. :D

redlady62

The Easy Vogue pattern 9012 is nice. I will get it when Vogue goes on sale at Joann's. Looks easy to make.

I love Pattern Review. I have to sign in when using the site. But it was free.

I'll be looking for the pattern too...maybe if we meet on a cruise we'll be dressed alike.:eek:

I have been able to check a few things on pattern review...not sure why.

I love the dresses another poster made for her DGD's. Remind me of dresses my Maw-Maw made for us. Always made cumberbund type sashes with huge bows that matched our Mom's outfits. You know, pink dresses then added black if she wore black, brown is she wore brown, etc.

You have very lucky little girls in your family.

Joanie

Good Morning everyone,

I have been busy sewing again.

Yesterday I finished the fleece jacket that my grandson wanted made. He was in sewing at school and before he was even able to make his first piece they moved him to a different subject that he needs to graduate.

Anyway, my daughter sent the material to me and asked if I would make it for him since she had spent so much on everything. I told her yes and have been working on this thing for 3 days now. I really don't understand this teachers idea of these kids that have never sewn before or even been in front of a sewing machine making something this difficult.

I have sewn everything from a simple apron to making wedding dresses and this thing was difficult for me. (I have been sewing for 50 years)

The teacher gave the kids a list of what was needed and can I say he isnot the smartest cookie here. After the jacket is cut out there is over a yard of material left, the zipper that he had on the list is a 30 inch separating zipper and the pattern calls for a 24", and he had them get a lot of things that weren't needed like interfacing and hem binding and etc. but didn't have them get ling for the pockets.

The pattern is a Mccalls @M5252. Those of us that sew can figure the pattern out but a beginner would have a rough time with it and I could see my grandson after about 10 minutes with it. The jacket would be in the trash and him gone. He's not a patient person and gets upset very easily, not so much at other people but at himself. He is a perfectionist all the way.

Well with all of the extra material I am going to make him a matching vest today. This is a very heavy fleece material that she got him so it should keep him very warm, even in Wyoming in the winter. He doesn't like to wear a winter coat so now he won't have too.

I guess there is some sewing in my future. I even got some ribbon and embellishments to make sashes for the girls dresses, I got the some really cute headbands that I am going to bling up for them to wear with their dresses too.

When I finish them I will post pictures for you to see.

Well, we are supposed to get to 107 degrees tomorrow and Sat. so I hope the pool is warmed up enough to get in it because I am going to try to get some swimming in this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day and happy sewing,

Gerry

I'm wondering if the teacher was going to have them put the zipper all the way up the collar to make a turleneck?

It's also possible that the extra length is to make zipper insertion easier. If you have a longer zipper you can sew a portion of it while it's open, then close it so that you can sew easily without having to maneuver around the bulk of the locking mechanism. That added bulk of the zipper head can throw off the stitching and really make your garment look "becky homecky" .....ask me how I know. :p I alway buy a zipper longer than I need.

I'm wondering if the teacher was going to have them put the zipper all the way up the collar to make a turleneck?

On the vest it was all the way up the turtleneck but not on the hoody that they were supposed to make.

It's also possible that the extra length is to make zipper insertion easier. If you have a longer zipper you can sew a portion of it while it's open, then close it so that you can sew easily without having to maneuver around the bulk of the locking mechanism. That added bulk of the zipper head can throw off the stitching and really make your garment look "becky homecky" .....ask me how I know. :p I alway buy a zipper longer than I need.

That is how I always do my zippers but this one was a separating zipper so that wouldn't work. I know exactly what you mean about becky-homecky. Been there done that and have many of those sweatshirts!!!

Even with al the mistakes in the jacket and vest they came out pretty good. I don't like sewing really heavy fleece like this. It is really hard to get it to go thru the dogfeeds on my machine. But they are done and I will hand deliver them to Wyoming next week.

Well back to sewing lighter materials.

Have a great day,

Gerry

That is how I always do my zippers but this one was a separating zipper so that wouldn't work. I know exactly what you mean about becky-homecky. Been there done that and have many of those sweatshirts!!!

DUH! Of course it was a separating zipper........Don't know what I was thinking.

Even with al the mistakes in the jacket and vest they came out pretty good. I don't like sewing really heavy fleece like this. It is really hard to get it to go thru the dogfeeds on my machine. But they are done and I will hand deliver them to Wyoming next week.

Have a great day,

Gerry

My machine hates fleece too! And all that fuzz that ends up around the bobbin housing.......

On the vest it was all the way up the turtleneck but not on the hoody that they were supposed to make.

Have a great day,

Gerry

I use a roller foot when sewing on fleece. I don't know if it is made for fleece but it works.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Accessories/Roller-Foot

I have been trying find a sheer evening jacket in white for a year to wear with a special blouse for formal nights on my cruises. I even posted one solution on another thread here that turned out to look like I was wearing a hair cut drape at a salon!

I also found that cutting down sheer thin strapped nightgowns made absolutely gorgeous camisoles, and I tried one on my last trip. I wanted another one so I would have a spare while hand washing and hanging one to dry.

So, here's what I started out with this morning:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V49QUQ/...332200_TE_item

The robe wasn't this length: it was down to my knees. The skirt was a full circle skirt: LOTS and LOTS of material.

3 hours on the cami, and 2 hours on the robe-to-be-open-jacket. Super sheer fabric, and my heart was in my throat for fear of making the wrong move and having a sewing disaster!

Here's what I ended up with (the blouse is jade green and white):

cami.jpg.736daea551e84b8025adc1913b6868f6.jpg

1292005919_whitejacket.jpg.4ccdb84d37656da26a283b98f3258068.jpg

I have been trying find a sheer evening jacket in white for a year to wear with a special blouse for formal nights on my cruises. I even posted one solution on another thread here that turned out to look like I was wearing a hair cut drape at a salon!

I also found that cutting down sheer thin strapped nightgowns made absolutely gorgeous camisoles, and I tried one on my last trip. I wanted another one so I would have a spare while hand washing and hanging one to dry.

So, here's what I started out with this morning:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V49QUQ/...332200_TE_item

The robe wasn't this length: it was down to my knees. The skirt was a full circle skirt: LOTS and LOTS of material.

3 hours on the cami, and 2 hours on the robe-to-be-open-jacket. Super sheer fabric, and my heart was in my throat for fear of making the wrong move and having a sewing disaster!

Here's what I ended up with (the blouse is jade green and white):

WOW! you did a great job. Sheer fabrics are hard to sew on. Threads mag. has some info on how to sew on sheer fabrics this month. I have to read it.