Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I too love the bags! Any special techniques for making them? One of the ladies I work with is training her dog at the utility level in Obedience and has some 'dumb bells' (18 in total, 6 wood, 6 leather and 6 metal) that are scent articles as well as a glove that will be retrieved during the 'seek back' exercise. Some people have plastic mesh bag (hard plastic and not many colours to choose from) to carry the items to class and to obedience trials. Thinking. . . . I know that is dangerous :) that if I get her name in the Secret Santa gift exchange, the bag with the outside pocket would be perfect! Use a cordura for the base and a screening for the body with a pocket to hold the glove and snaps to close the bag and keep everything inside. Hmmmm, better get sewing my other projects!

The fabric I picked up at Jo Ann fabrics. The outer shell is made heavy canvas, then I made the liner out of regular cotton. For the anchor and skull I drew them on a piece of card stock and used it as a stencil on a piece of canvas scrap. First I attached it with some hem tape to the front pocket square and then sewn around the edge.

On the large bag I had sewn a bunch of pockets to hold all the things we would need on a land excursion into the liner. It has spots for two water bottles, iPad, suntan lotion, bug repellent and a hidden pocket for cash and our ID. Just so it kind of organized. Overall they came out pretty well.

When I made the first bag last summer I had never sewn before. I had just purchased a heavy duty machine on eBay and started sewing. So they are probably not done 100% correctly, but they are functional. Since I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just measure some fabric, cut, pin and sew. I did look at some other bags for a basic design beforehand. Since I have made a bunch of other stuff too. Boat cusions for my son's boats. A bunch of other seat covers, iPad cases, etc. It's a fun hobby. 😀

Paradise Tattoo, all your work is impressive!

You have a natural talent to see a design and you just tackle the project. Have you thought of teaching a course, maybe towards the males, as many are nervous of sewing?

I've been sewing all my life, and I make most of my clothes. Part of the joy of traveling is planning and making what to take. I usually center everything around black, grey, white, and burgundy, so that things mix and match. Also I put a long vertical pocket in my vests and jackets that holds my passport, tickets, etc. I have to take it off to get to it, and, so far, no one has been that interested in undressing me for my valuables... That also keeps me from having to carry a purse. There are zipped pockets in the side front linings for things I need to access easily and small amounts of money. In Rome, DH was pickpocketed twice - no worries - they only got lint, because the good stuff was down his back. We laughed at them actually. I did just get Simplicity 2603, out of print, but available on Ebay. It is a wrap sort of thing that goes over a shell, and I think it sounds like fun. If made in a very lightweight jersey knit (maybe bamboo), it would be very versatile.

Happy sewing!!

ellen

I've been sewing all my life, and I make most of my clothes. Part of the joy of traveling is planning and making what to take. I usually center everything around black, grey, white, and burgundy, so that things mix and match. Also I put a long vertical pocket in my vests and jackets that holds my passport, tickets, etc. I have to take it off to get to it, and, so far, no one has been that interested in undressing me for my valuables... That also keeps me from having to carry a purse. There are zipped pockets in the side front linings for things I need to access easily and small amounts of money. In Rome, DH was pickpocketed twice - no worries - they only got lint, because the good stuff was down his back. We laughed at them actually. I did just get Simplicity 2603, out of print, but available on Ebay. It is a wrap sort of thing that goes over a shell, and I think it sounds like fun. If made in a very lightweight jersey knit (maybe bamboo), it would be very versatile.

Happy sewing!!

ellen

Great idea about sewing pockets into your clothing. I never thought of that. I have to check out your pattern. Right now I am putting logos on my nephew's shirts for his office crew (the DRs. who work with him and the girls behind the desks) 25 of them!

Great idea about sewing pockets into your clothing. I never thought of that. I have to check out your pattern. Right now I am putting logos on my nephew's shirts for his office crew (the DRs. who work with him and the girls behind the desks) 25 of them!

Saf-T-Pockets has a line of clothing patterns with tons of hidden pockets. http://www.saf-t-pockets.com/ Some cute garments too, I've seen their samples at sewing expos.

I don't have a pattern, just something I made up. I have also made Saf T Pocket patterns, skirt and vest, and they are very nice and comfy. I really like the pocket down my back, though, because it is inaccessible unless the garment is removed. We have done a lot of travelling (not cruises) in third world countries, and I feel that my passport and important stuff is really secure with the back pocket.

I sew on a Viking 910 serger. Threading is sometimes a pain. I thread it right and the thread sometime will still break. If I rethread it with out taking all the threads out and starting from the beginning, the thread will break. It is like my machine knows I did not take out the other three threads. Do you all so have to take out all yours threads when just one thread breaks?

I sew on a Viking 910 serger. Threading is sometimes a pain. I thread it right and the thread sometime will still break. If I rethread it with out taking all the threads out and starting from the beginning, the thread will break. It is like my machine knows I did not take out the other three threads. Do you all so have to take out all yours threads when just one thread breaks?

Yes, I do and it can sometimes be a real pain.

I'd read all of the complaints about threading sergers so I avoided getting one until I saved enough to get a Babylock. You can thread it in any order, you don't have to rethread all of them when just one breaks (although threads seldom break on it), and they have this air-feed thing that does all of the overlock threading for me. SO easy, I definitely feel it was worth the price.

I'd read all of the complaints about threading sergers so I avoided getting one until I saved enough to get a Babylock. You can thread it in any order, you don't have to rethread all of them when just one breaks (although threads seldom break on it), and they have this air-feed thing that does all of the overlock threading for me. SO easy, I definitely feel it was worth the price.

I had heard that the BabyLock are wonderful. My machine works great just every so often if it is not threaded just so the thread will break. Once I am sewing the thread does not break. Sergers can cost a lot for a good one. I know mine was a bit pricey at the time (14 years ago).

But don't you just love the finished seams? I have a four thread serger. I have seen Babylocks I think with 8 threads. WOW! That must be some machine.

Edited by geocruiser

I like to get multi uses from what cruise wear I pack. I pack light and wear my dinner separates more than once. Beginning of cruise and end of cruise. I normally stick with solid colors and wear a lot of black or white and mix and match. Change it up with my jewelry.

No serger machine. I use an old brother basic like the old singer touch n sew.

A few cruises back I sewed multi items for that cruise. From a tank dress pattern - shortened it for a swim suit cover up. Took some extra fabric and made a book cover and a tote bag.

- from a see n sew pattern - made an elastic waist white skirt. Then made a black lace over lay to go over it.

Shell/tank tops - 1 from skirt material and 1 from some left over blend material.

This thread has me thinking I need to sew some new things. I have lots of material I bought from a Hancock going out of business sale. Most is rayon or cotton blend in summer like colors and patterns.

Edited by tbbtravels

I like to get multi uses from what cruise wear I pack. I pack light and wear my dinner separates more than once. Beginning of cruise and end of cruise. I normally stick with solid colors and wear a lot of black or white and mix and match. Change it up with my jewelry.

No serger machine. I use an old brother basic like the old singer touch n sew.

A few cruises back I sewed multi items for that cruise. From a tank dress pattern - shortened it for a swim suit cover up. Took some extra fabric and made a book cover and a tote bag.

- from a see n sew pattern - made an elastic waist white skirt. Then made a black lace over lay to go over it.

Shell/tank tops - 1 from skirt material and 1 from some left over blend material.

This thread has me thinking I need to sew some new things. I have lots of material I bought from a Hancock going out of business sale. Most is rayon or cotton blend in summer like colors and patterns.

What a great idea to make that black lace overlay! Is it removable?

Yes it it. I made it like the skirt and with a 4 inch band of elastic on the outside of the skirt top. Then I could move it up or down. After wearing it I decided to get some velcrow circles and used that on the back and side hems to hold it down better.

Hi all! Heading out for my cruise today! Yay! About half of my wardrobe consists of things I've made. When we return I'll post some pictures of my sewn garments. Happy, happy!!

Have a great cruise. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Edited by geocruiser