Would you give up 2 rooms to go to the Haven?

RobinSie

My DH, DS 6, DD 8 and I are booked in a family balcony (B2) on Epic. My DS and DIL are in an aft balcony. Should we talk to our TA about giving up our rooms and going to a 2 BR villa? I'm concerned about the sleeping space and privacy. Also, is there a lock up high on the balcony door? My DD (even at 8) can be very impulsive when she's excited and I don't want her going out on the balcony unsupervised. Everyone raves about the Haven...I would appreciate thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Trying to read through this.

2 adults and plys 6 and 8yr old in one family

One other adult plus one?

A bit tight, but 6& 8 yr old can sleep on couch.

Might be worth doing.

I think that I would indeed make the move - however I would check with the DS and DIL to make sure they have the privacy they might desire. The sleeping arrangements would have either the DS and DD in the sofa or the second bedroom and visa versa for the DS and DIL. The larger cabin would allow you to get together as a family in one place. As for the sliding door, I can't speak for the Epic but on the aft penthouse on the Pearl there was a child lock about 2/3 of the way up the door - however those doors are heavy and probably not easily operated by an 8 yr old.

I wouldn't put the 6 of you in a villa. Say you and DH in the master bedroom. That puts DS & DIL in the 2nd bedroom. Kids in the living room.

To me, while I love the suite perks of Epic (Epic Club, posh, etc), this is extremely tight.

6 in the suite would be crowded but kids are small and it could work. I think the second bedroom could sleep 3 kids (2 on sofabed and one on the pull down bunk). Someone would have to sleep on the sofa in the living room.

One issue about the balcony is solved with the suite. Some of the suites have solariums so kid access would never be a problem or need supervison. Also the suites 16001 and 17001 are a few feet wider which the extra space would help. These suites also have a much larger solarium compared to the other 2 bedroom balconies.

For me that would be too tight. I wouldn't want to be the adult couple stuck in the tiny bedroom or the sofa for that matter.

I guess it's really up to your DIL & DS and if they're willing to give up some of their comfort (and lovely aft view) for the perks.

Speaking as somebody who was young and married not terribly long ago I wouldn't want to give up my own cabin to share even a suite with my parents or in-laws. Sure the perks are nice but would want my space - for many reasons. But then again since you're asking this here it's probably a safe bet you've already asked them and they're on board (pun intended) with the idea though.

Still it would be too close for comfort to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David - I actually think the son is an adult, based on the DS & DIL so I think there's 4 adults and 2 kids. Unless I'm mistaken :) Which, according to my husband, happens often. lol

Sorry, read the post too fast the first time. So there would be 4 adults and 2 kids? It would be an odd mix because 3 can use the second bedroom if they are small people.

Can you have the best of both worlds, bring the family into the suite and leave the inlaws in the Aft cabin LOL ;)

Sorry, read the post too fast the first time. So there would be 4 adults and 2 kids? It would be an odd mix because 3 can use the second bedroom if they are small people.

Can you have the best of both worlds, bring the family into the suite and leave the inlaws in the Aft cabin LOL ;)

You're still reading too fast. ;)

It's the OP, her DH, their younger DS and DD, and an older DS w/ DIL.

But your suggestion is valid...for the OP, DH and younger kids, leaving the DS and DIL in their aft balcony.

However I get the sense that this would be more $$ than they want to spend...

Thanks to all for weighing in. As much as we would like the suite perks, I was afraid of the tight quarters. My older son is 27/wife 26...then came DD8 and DS6 (yes, it does happen). I think we will leave our reservations the way they are...I hope to spend a little time enjoying my son's aft balcony view also. I'm so excited...hate wishing my life away, but is it December yet??????

Are you on the Epic? I would give up the two for one suite. We did this on the Gem. We had 5 adults and 1 3 yr old. All family. The young couple and the child stayed in the second br. Our adult son took the foldout and since we paid we took the master. With the second bathroom it worked great and everyone loved the two br suite. We were not in the courtyard but merely a 2-br suite. If you are on the epic I would also go for it. We had an aft PH and though it was fine we encountered the ship vibrations every night which made it hard to sleep.

We are on the Epic. Our last cruise was on the Dawn back in 2003 when she was fairly new to the market. Maybe we should wait on the suite and book one for our anniversary (sans the younger kids) next year.

Are you on the Epic? I would give up the two for one suite. We did this on the Gem. We had 5 adults and 1 3 yr old. All family. The young couple and the child stayed in the second br. Our adult son took the foldout and since we paid we took the master. With the second bathroom it worked great and everyone loved the two br suite. We were not in the courtyard but merely a 2-br suite. If you are on the epic I would also go for it. We had an aft PH and though it was fine we encountered the ship vibrations every night which made it hard to sleep.

I loved "since we paid we took the master"... Duh! Now if it was my sister, she would think I should pay and take the smaller since I am single. No way. I can always stretch out.

My cruise on the Epic is not until January - so definitely no expert here ;) - but from researching for my cruise I agree with the posters who think it will be "too tight" for your particular situation.

Look at this video and imagine where everyone will be and if it would work for you. But if I was your DIL and ended up in the guest room after trading from an aft balcony :eek:

If you were my MIL and treating me, I'm game.

I was in the 2bd/rm Haven on the GEM, nothing to complain about. You are only sleeping in that small room, not hanging out. The Haven is where you will spent most of your time and on the private upper deck. Go for it. You won't be sorry. The perks are worth every penny. Just keep in mind the kids will have to put their clothes in the master area.

My DH, DS 6, DD 8 and I are booked in a family balcony (B2) on Epic. My DS and DIL are in an aft balcony. Should we talk to our TA about giving up our rooms and going to a 2 BR villa? I'm concerned about the sleeping space and privacy. Also, is there a lock up high on the balcony door? My DD (even at 8) can be very impulsive when she's excited and I don't want her going out on the balcony unsupervised. Everyone raves about the Haven...I would appreciate thoughts on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Are you paying for everyone? If yes, your DS and DIL might prefer their aft balcony. If your DS and DIL are paying for their cruise they might be interested in the second bedroom in a suite if they only have to pay the fee for being the 3rd and 4th adults in the suite.

We are paying separately. I was thinking maybe we would split up the nights in the mb. I wouldn't even mind taking the 4 nights to get the suite life. I haven't proposed anything to anyone...except all of you...lol. I wanted to get opinions before tossing it into the air. I really do appreciate everyone who is offering their thoughts.

Archived