Sea Pass

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this is on here somewhere - I have searched with no success.

From what I understand (newbie here) the sea pass is both your on ship form of payment as well as your room key.

Is there only one SP issued per cabin or does each occupant get one.

Also as they sound sound similar to credit cards I wondered do RCCL issue them with neck carriers like you would get in the office or do you need to keep them in your wallet or some place?

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this is on here somewhere - I have searched with no success.

From what I understand (newbie here) the sea pass is both your on ship form of payment as well as your room key.

Also as they sound sound similar to credit cards I wondered do RCCL issue them with neck carriers like you would get in the office or do you need to keep them in your wallet or some place?

Everyone gets a Sea Pass as it is also your identification for getting on and off the ship. They are credit card sized, you can buy (naturally) a lanyard or bring one along, but you don't get given one.

They are quite sensitive, so be careful of other magnetic fields otherwise they can get wiped.

Hi,

What I'm about to tell you is "book knowledge" I learned from hanging around here, I'll have to wait for first-hand knowledge for another 7 weeks or so.

Each passenger gets their own card. If for nothing else, you will need it to get on and off the ship. You are not issued a carrier for it, but it sounds like a good idea to bring something like that for yourself.

Everyone gets a Seapass. It is also used in the security clearance when you come or go from the ship while in ports.

RCI does not issue lanyards. It is up to the individual to decide how to carry the Seapass.

Hi,

It is exactly like a credit card, it is your cabin key, your payment card and ID during your cruise.

At least when I been cruising, we each got our sea passes.

Neck carriers you can buy in the souvenir store onboard:)

You will use your seapass card (it is the size of a credit card) everytime you get on or off of the ship, to open your cabin door and for all purchases on the ship. Although I do take some cash to tip the room service person when I order that late night snack or early morning breakfast.

You can take your card to guest services and they will punch a hole in it if you have a lanyard (neck carrier) to attach it to so you can wear it around your neck. The ship does not provide lanyards, you need to bring your own. We keep ours in our wallet or pocket. Each person will get their own card.

Happy sailings!

One other thing.

When you leave the ship, you will need your sea pass to get through each ports security. Also, most ports will require a picture ID (drivers license) to get through security/customs.

I know, because I lost mine in Cozumel.

One other thing.

When you leave the ship, you will need your sea pass to get through each ports security. Also, most ports will require a picture ID (drivers license) to get through security/customs.

I know, because I lost mine in Cozumel.

Most? Not in my experience.

OK, some.

Bermuda and St. Martin to be specific.

We also had to show photo ID along with our sea pass in St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Ocho Rios, Bar Harbor, Boston, Halifax, St. John NB, to name a few more.

It is exactly like a credit card,

And if you lose it and someone else on the ship finds it, they can make charges on it and YOU will be responsible:eek:. So, if you, or someone in your party lose it, please inform guest relations asap so they may cancel it and issue you a new one.

Johneo

Did you lose your sea pass or your license?

What did you do?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Safe travels

Sue and crew

All of the above.

Sent DW and DS back to the ship to get my passport and get a new sea pass issued.

Pretty stupid of me, went swimming, both in pocket, now in the Gulf of Mexico. However, I am obsessed with being early for everything, so we got back to the ship an hour before sail away, and DS came back with the sea pass.

Not a fun feeling standing outside looking in, no money, no credit cards, no ID in a foreign land. All I had with me was a towel and wet bathing suit on my fat arse.

What are you talking about? They almost always ask you to bring some form of photo ID except at the private islands. It's passports that aren't always necessary (drivers license will do at most Caribbean ports).

I never go anywhere without a photo ID. Maybe because my HD is retired military, but why would anyone go out without ID let alone in a foreign port? Am I the only one that wants the protection of being able to ID myself?:confused: Sure, the Sea Pass card connects you to the ship and they have your picture on file, but you really need to carry a photo ID when leaving the ship. JMO :o

I don't think my wife has a photo ID but we have loads of time to organize one.

She will need to have a photo ID of some kind and I'd imagine she needs a passport anyway. You have to show them at least twice before your embarkation (we did).

I never go anywhere without a photo ID. Maybe because my HD is retired military, but why would anyone go out without ID let alone in a foreign port? Am I the only one that wants the protection of being able to ID myself?:confused: Sure, the Sea Pass card connects you to the ship and they have your picture on file, but you really need to carry a photo ID when leaving the ship. JMO :o

Right. You quite often have to have both a picture ID and your sea pass to get through the port area security. We even had to show ours a couple of times when on a bus coming back into the port from a tour.

She will need to have a photo ID of some kind and I'd imagine she needs a passport anyway. You have to show them at least twice before your embarkation (we did).

so as you are required (so I was told by our TA) to have your passport with you why would you ALSO need additional photo ID?

so as you are required (so I was told by our TA) to have your passport with you why would you ALSO need additional photo ID?

You wouldn't need anything but your passport - it's the ultimate photo ID.

I notice you're from the UK - do your driver's license have your picture on them like ours do here in the States?

Well, the passport gets you through the airport and on to the ship in a snap.

But, after we get on the ship, passports get locked in the safe.

Then we go onto the island with sea pass and drivers license (much easier to carry, they can get wet). Then I procede to lose them in the Gulf of Mexico.

Very happy that passport was securely locked in my safe.

Well, the passport gets you through the airport and on to the ship in a snap.

But, after we get on the ship, passports get locked in the safe.

Then we go onto the island with sea pass and drivers license (much easier to carry, they can get wet). Then I procede to lose them in the Gulf of Mexico.

Very happy that passport was securely locked in my safe.

We were told by our TA that for our Mediterranean excursions we MUST take our passports with us.

Sparky - yes my driving license DOES have my photo on it but my wife has an old fashion paper one that does not.

In our experience, "most" is an accurate description of almost every port (especially in the Caribbean and in Canada and Bermuda) we have visited. Any ports where pier security doesn't require both a sea pass and personal ID, is the exception rather than the rule.

We were told by our TA that for our Mediterranean excursions we MUST take our passports with us.

Sparky - yes my driving license DOES have my photo on it but my wife has an old fashion paper one that does not.

Never had to do that in Europe, even when disembarking to return home in Barcelona no one ever ask you for your passport, but the airport is of course different.

Take a photocopy of your passport just incase.

ID is good in Museums in EU , as a senior citizen we get in free, never paid in Pompeii or Herculaneum... some good comes from EU after all, we used our drivers license, mind a bus pass is also good.

Archived