St Petersburg

Sailing on Jewel of the Seas 19th August.

Advice please on the relative merits tours in St Petersburg

1.Booking 2 day package with RCI

2.Booking 2 day pacjage with Rusian operators

3. Booking seperate packages for the 2 dayus with RCI

See the first bit of this http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666677 which makes my thoughts pretty clear. All the best, Tony

Tony is "spot on". We used an independent Russian tour company (Alla Tours ... there are several other companies with good reviews as well) and were just delighted with our tours. Great value and personalized service with a very small group. We saw and did much more than our cruisemates that took the ship sponsored tours.

I suggest you check the itineraries of some of the independent tour companies and weigh their offerings against what RCI offers.

Tony is absolutely correct ... you will NOT miss your ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

jill

Glad to see a personal experience of the Alla Comfort tour--that is what we have chosen for 2013. It seems to be about about the right amount of time and number of places. Do you recollect where you stopped for lunch? Thanks.

Glad to see a personal experience of the Alla Comfort tour--that is what we have chosen for 2013. It seems to be about about the right amount of time and number of places. Do you recollect where you stopped for lunch? Thanks.

Hi Alaskanb,

I think you have made an excellent choice. You will love your tour with Alla!

We did not opt for the comfort tour...we took the Grand Tour as we wanted to fit as much as possible into our 2 days in port. On our first day, we had a sack lunch in order to be able to see more whilst driving to our next destination. On our second day, we ate a lovely lunch in a lovely little restaurant close to the opera (I can't remember the name). We had soup, salad, Beef Stroganoff (delicious) and a dessert.

We also used Alla in Berlin and that tour was superb as well.

I look forward to returning to SPB in the near future. It is a beautiful city.

Enjoy your time there! :)

jill

We had the Alla comfort tour last week and also booked tge ballet with them for the evening, they were brilliant, only 13 people in our group, our guide was brilliant, highly recommend this company.

We had the Alla comfort tour last week and also booked tge ballet with them for the evening, they were brilliant, only 13 people in our group, our guide was brilliant, highly recommend this company.

I can't remember the names of the restaurants but the first one was magnificent, like a small palace with waiters serving you, apparently itbus used as a wedding venue. The second one was a nicelittlecrestaurant in the city, we enjoyed both meals, basic food but very good.

Definitely suggest option number two and below is more on why, including photo proof.

The honest truth is that there are a number of very good to excellent private firms in St. Petersburg. Most people liked their tour and will beat the drums and say theirs are the "best". Of course, they have only tried one and do not have much real sense of "comparison". It is my suggestion to write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan, however, of "one size fits all".

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. You need to determine what you want and need.

Just like there are many different sizes, styles and types of shoes, the same is true with private tour companies. We don't all wear and have same types of shoes for all needs, occasions and purposes. Below are a few of my visual samples to get folks prepared for the great glories that are there in St. Petersburg.

Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 92,128 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 76,005 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Examining one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes much more than just paintings and sculptures.:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace outside of St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

We were there last week on the Emerald Princess. We were a family of 4 and SPB did a great job. Since it was just the four of us we could do exactly what we wanted, go when we wanted and leave when we were done. Our guide was just 20 years old, a student in museum studies, but was very knowledgeable not only about the art but about how to make the most of our time in the various spots. We had an issue with the tickets for the second day but the company has their office right in the terminal building where we docked. Viktoria was right there with new papers and we had no delay.

We did the 2 day tour and then tacked on the Fun night tour for 55$ PP more. In retrospect, we might have skipped that just because we were so exhausted after the first day and staying out late after made us less then energetic on the second day.

Our 2 family members also booked them for a group tour in Berlin and gave it rave reviews. I chose not to do it because I have toured Berlin before and didnt want to spend so much time driving back and fourth.

we are on the same cruise and have been doing our homework as well, a friend recommended Alla or DenRus either look good, we have heard of Red October and TJ Tours, they are all very similar, just depends what you want to see and how much energy you have!

I am a very nervous person and I must say I WILL worry about missing the ship, not getting off for the tour in time, passing through customs without a hitch and will the company really be there to meet us! But my husband and my friend says all will be fine-I hope so....:cool:

we are on the same cruise and have been doing our homework as well, a friend recommended Alla or DenRus either look good, we have heard of Red October and TJ Tours, they are all very similar, just depends what you want to see and how much energy you have!

I am a very nervous person and I must say I WILL worry about missing the ship, not getting off for the tour in time, passing through customs without a hitch and will the company really be there to meet us! But my husband and my friend says all will be fine-I hope so....:cool:

I was also nervous about our 2 day port visit to St Petersburg...We opted to have a private 2 day tour with TJ Travel...and I must say it ended up being a trip of a lifetime for us...Our guide & driver were amazing...ENJOY !!!!!

I had the same concerns. :rolleyes: Must be common, eh? Alla assured me that I had nothing to fear & that helped alleviate my trepidation, somewhat. Anyway, all my worries were for naught.

Just a bit of advice from past cruisers. We all booked with private tour companies and we all came back saying they were the best. They all do a great job of showing cruisers St Petersberg. Each company does about the same things for about the same prices depending on the size of your group. That said, each company has it's own little idiosyncrasies that separate them from the others. YOU have to do some homework, and just not sign up with one company because some one on this site said so. You should contact 3,4 or 5 of the major players in St Petersberg. Let them know when you will be there, and what you would like to see or do. Most companies have set packages to show you all the sights so you will see everything no matter who you use. But some offer better customer service, some offer free lunches in restaurants, some offer free subway rides, some offer free tour boat cruises, and still some offer separate packages you can do at night.

We chose SPB Tours because of several things, like we wanted a complete sit down lunch in a real Russian restaurant, and they offered the canal cruise for free. But most of all, Viktoria, who owns SPB, had the best customer service of the groups we contacted and that meant a lot to us.

Check your roll call and see what others on your ship are doing. it is easier to get into a small group from the roll call.

Just go with the company that makes you feel most at ease and you feel is giving you the best value for your money, not just because some one says they used so and so and they had a great time.

Cheers

Len

....You should contact 3,4 or 5 of the major players in St Petersberg. Let them know when you will be there, and what you would like to see or do. Most companies have set packages to show you all the sights so you will see everything no matter who you use. But some offer better customer service, some offer free lunches in restaurants, some offer free subway rides, some offer free tour boat cruises, and still some offer separate packages you can do at night.

We chose SPB Tours because of several things, like we wanted a complete sit down lunch in a real Russian restaurant, and they offered the canal cruise for free. But most of all, Viktoria, who owns SPB, had the best customer service of the groups we contacted and that meant a lot to us.....

Len

Len, we chose SPB Tours too - had a super tour. Everything worked well. Customized to our disparate group! I am sure many companies are excellent - but I was pleased with early admission to the Hermitage (no queuing!), the Metro ride (they provided the tickets), and the excellent guide we had (Alex). He and the driver worked well together - we got dropped off with Alex, walked a bit and then got picked up by the van again.

I think the tours are excellent value - don't have to pay to get a visa, for example, and are MUCH cheaper than our cruise line tours (Oceania).

We booked the 2 day tour with Alla and were very satisfied! She put us in a group of 10 from our ship and it was the perfect size for moving around. We were able to stay together and had headphones for the inside venues so our guide could describe the beautiful sites for us. Our driver was right there to pick us up at each site.

Comparing our itinerary to the ships' tours, we saw so much more. It was a tiring 2 days, but worth it. This is a once in a lifetime experience and you want to see the most you can. We had early admission to the Hermitage and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

We were there on a weekend of good weather, so the venues were crowded with locals also, but we moved quickly through all the sites.

Do not worry about getting back to the ship on time. All the tour companies are professionals, and they know their business depends on the ship schedule. Most of the bigger companies offer the same tours for the same price, so choose the one you feel most comfortable with. They provide a blanket visa for you with proper documentation for Russian immigration. Do not let the cruise line scare you (like ours tried to) and tell you that you need a ship tour or your own visa.

“OUTSTANDING … EXCEPTIONAL”

We were on the June 25, 2012, sailing of the Emerald Princess Baltic Cruise and used ALLA TOURS for our private excursions to Berlin and St. Petersburg. OUTSTANDING is the only word to describe ALLA TOURS. ALLA and her guides, DIRK in Berlin [June 28, 2012], and DIMITRI in St. Petersburg [July 1 & 2, 2012], exceeded the divergent and exacting expectations of our group of 6 from Hawaii and California. The FABULOUS service began with ALLA herself, who was the epitome of EFFICIENCY, COOPERATION and PROMPTNESS during the 10 months of planning/tweaking our tours.

In Berlin, DIRK’s wealth of knowledge, personal experiences, humor, and perfect English helped to unravel the enigma that is East and West Berlin. We were amazed at the amount of sightseeing that was packed into a 5-hour visit which included walking and a quick lunch – all without feeling rushed. Our Berlin driver, THOMAS, impressed us with his driving skills and uncanny ability to weave through the crowded streets so that we wasted no time in traffic and he always found just the right spot to park his Mercedes minivan. THOMAS was also a fountain of information and friendliness during the 6-hour drive to and from Berlin.

During our 2-day tour of St. Petersburg, DIMITRI, with his impeccable English and humor, brought St. Petersburg to life with his deep knowledge of Russian history and vivid description of the intricacies and intrigue of palace life and its inhabitants. DIMITRI’s informative commentary continued throughout our exploration of St. Petersburg by street, subway, canal, and hydrofoil ride. His driver, ALEX, was an ideal partner as he safely and skillfully maneuvered his Mercedes minivan around marathon detours and rainy streets on our second day.

Actually, TERRIFIC … EXCEPTIONAL … are additional words that also describe ALLA TOURS. We recommend ALLA TOURS highly and encourage you to discover for yourself how ALLA and her team of professionals, especially DIRK, DIMITRI, THOMAS and ALEX, can enhance your visit to Berlin and St. Petersburg.

• 1 month later...
We were there last week on the Emerald Princess. We were a family of 4 and SPB did a great job. Since it was just the four of us we could do exactly what we wanted, go when we wanted and leave when we were done. Our guide was just 20 years old, a student in museum studies, but was very knowledgeable not only about the art but about how to make the most of our time in the various spots. We had an issue with the tickets for the second day but the company has their office right in the terminal building where we docked. Viktoria was right there with new papers and we had no delay.

We did the 2 day tour and then tacked on the Fun night tour for 55$ PP more. In retrospect, we might have skipped that just because we were so exhausted after the first day and staying out late after made us less then energetic on the second day.

Our 2 family members also booked them for a group tour in Berlin and gave it rave reviews. I chose not to do it because I have toured Berlin before and didnt want to spend so much time driving back and fourth.

Our experience with SPB in June 2011 was very similar. We had a group of six and did the SPB deluxe private tour. Absolutely everything was included - no extra fees for cameras or video, meals, hydrofoil. The communication beforehand with Vika and her crew was extremely prompt and informative. I agree with Terry that talking with several is the best way to figure out which company is best for you.

At any rate, whatever you do, opt for the private tour company tour over the ship's tour. You won't regret it in the least.

For all that took these great tours, what was on your list of must-see/do in St. Petersburg?

Although we saw much more than what I have listed, here was my list of "must see" venues in SPB:

Catherine Palace (restored amber room) amazing!!

Hermitage (wow!)

Peterhof (particularly the fountains/gardens)

Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood

Peter & Paul Fortress (Peter & Paul cathedral - burial place of all czars)

Although not on my original list of "must see" in SPB, I also really enjoyed our visits to:

St. Isaac's Cathedral

Yusopov Palace (where Rasputin was fed the poisoned cakes)

subway

canal cruise

hydrofoil ride to Peterhof

SPB is a gorgeous city. I can't wait till our next trip there. The first trip only served to "whet my appetitie". :)

jill

For all that took these great tours, what was on your list of must-see/do in St. Petersburg?

Earlier on this thread, I posted some options and a few of my visuals for the Hermitage, Catherine's Palace and the Peterhof. Those three are definite, must-sees for this great Russian city that has so much history and unique architecture. The two great churches in St. Petersburg are shown below, plus a few other options to consider. This includes just "driving around" that give you a better sampling for the beauty and style there.

Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 80,480 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Along a quiet stretch of the Moika River stands a long yellow building. It was once the residence of the wealthy and powerful Yusupov family. It was one of the most dramatic episodes in Russia's history, Grigory Rasputin’s murder. In 1916, some of the city's noble elite, including one of the Grand Dukes and the prominent Prince Felix Yusupov, conspired to kill a royal advisor who they believed threatening the stability of the war-torn Russian Empire. Here is one picture from the Blue Room of the Yusupov Palace. Is this just like one of your bedrooms at home?:

1A-StP-Yusp-BlueRoom.jpg

Archived