Sailing Out Of New York

Pickels

It shouldn't be - just check the marine forecast closer to the sailing date for storm tracking along its route although ships are pretty good in going around. Afterall, we are officially in the hurricane season - the NHC has all the latest. :eek:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/ - odds are you won't run into "rough" seas until the warmer waters over the Carolinas - some folks are fine with 10 to 15 ft. waves while others hit the reception desk for motion pills with just 5 to 8 ft. sea.

Plus, stay low & center as it will help - it was sort of hard to do on our niece's 30 ft. fishing boat ...

First time cruising out of New York, (next week, yeah!)'. Are the seas any more rough than, say, the Caribbean?[/qu

For sure!! the seas are often rough out of NY..up until Cape Hatteras and

then smooth sailing...enjoy:D

Short answer--yes. Though it depends on where you are going--to bermud or down the coast to the Bahamas. A cruise to Bermuda is a 700 mile trip across the Atlantic. This will almost always be more rough than the Caribbean. But it still isn't all that bad I promise. Actually I think it is fun!

The simple answer is it is not predictable other than by checking the weather forecast; if storms are brewing or high winds are present, it will be a little rougher.

I've sailed from NYC many times at different times of year, and the seas have been mostly quite calm. Only a few times were they rough. I like sailing from NYC and however the seas work out is fine with me!!! :)

Short answer--yes. Though it depends on where you are going--to bermud or down the coast to the Bahamas. A cruise to Bermuda is a 700 mile trip across the Atlantic. This will almost always be more rough than the Caribbean. But it still isn't all that bad I promise. Actually I think it is fun!

This is a great answer. It is often rough on the west side of the Gulf Stream which is about a little more than halfway to Bermuda from Boston or New York. In the daytime you can actually see the Gulf Stream which is actually a whole series of streams, some narrow some wide with a distinctly tropical blue color. Seaweed and debris in the streams moves very fast northward. After the Gulf Stream the seas calm down and then about 6-12 hours to Bermuda. Note: the stream shifts constantly so these timelines vary.

Kev:cool:

Archived