Smaller portions in MD

The Lobster is the size of a crawfish...

Which is probably what they are. If you are expecting to get real lobster on any cruiseline that isn't sailing in New England/Canada you are either delusional or are going to be sorely disappointed.:rolleyes: There has always been a significant difference between the warm water crustaceans that pose as lobsters on a cruise ship, and the cold water lobsters that we in the Northeast are able to dine on in a land-based restaurant.

Smaller sized portions is a trend in the finest land-based restaurants as well. The difference being that in a cruise's MDR, if you want more, you can order seconds without increasing the size of your bill

Just off MN this Monday, Ours, fortunately, were free at the Captain's table.

Rick and Deirdra

.....hey Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howle the Third......have you seen Gilligan? He is suppose to be emptying the bed pans on the MN....:eek:

Sailed the Allure June 24.

I ate the MDR every night because there was no extra charge, the food was generally better quality than elsewhere on the ship and the portions were reasonable. Always cleaned my plate and if still hungry, there's plenty of options on board later, even free options.

Forget the crawfish sized lobster (I had two), the lobster bisque from a few nights earlier was the bomb.

I am also fine with the smaller portions. HOWEVER on our recent Explorer cruise, when DS who is 16 & can really never get enough to eat, ordered his normal 2 entrees, the second one was not brought out until after everyone was done with their 1st. This left him awkwardly eating alone as everyone's plates & the table were cleared & we waited for dessert. Our waiter told us he could not bring anyone 2 entrees at once, new rule, & had to go back after the first round & sneak out his 2nd one. He also mentioned that RC is going to start charging extra for a second entree, & then proceeded to rant about "the company" every night. Apparently we looked sympathetic to his cause.

Fortunately one of our table mates began ordering extra too so DS didn't have to eat alone:)

I am also fine with the smaller portions. HOWEVER on our recent Explorer cruise, when DS who is 16 & can really never get enough to eat, ordered his normal 2 entrees, the second one was not brought out until after everyone was done with their 1st. This left him awkwardly eating alone as everyone's plates & the table were cleared & we waited for dessert. Our waiter told us he could not bring anyone 2 entrees at once, new rule, & had to go back after the first round & sneak out his 2nd one. He also mentioned that RC is going to start charging extra for a second entree, & then proceeded to rant about "the company" every night. Apparently we looked sympathetic to his cause.

Fortunately one of our table mates began ordering extra too so DS didn't have to eat alone:)

Interesting. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this same experience. We sailed on Allure in June and DH regularly ordered more than 1 entree and had them brought to the table at the same time.

I wonder if your wait staff was not happy and taking it on you? I know we felt the service was not what it used to be as they kept pushing the pay for entrees. Maybe they are being held to new quotas?

Congratulations, now come down here to Myrtle Beach and find $4 a pound lobster and lobster on a restaurant menu under $25. :D

To the OP - I've noticed that over the past few cruises and I really am pleased with that. As Big Eagle and others pointed out - we can try more things on the menu, expecially starters.

So true, and the wine that goes with that lobster is priced right along the same lines as RCI'S also. MB has great restaurants, by the way. :D

Having just spent 9 days at Disneyworld and observing the general populous there, I don't see how smaller portions can be a bad thing.

...sounds like your toes got run over by one of those "twinkies" chomping on a turkey wing riding one of those electric scooters.......:eek::D

My husband ordered two lobsters when we were on the Oasis in May and had no problem getting it.

I am glad for the normal sized portions in the MDR. They are more than sufficient. Really now - has anyone ever gone hungry on a cruise?:)

Archived