Smaller portions in MD

Very good news. So tired of wasting food.

Dined in Blu on Solstice for two weeks and we may never bother with another MDR again. Good to hear this.....is anyone really still hungry by the time the entree arrives?

:-)

Just off MN this Monday, Maine lobster in the MDR for $25 extra. Lobsters were a good size. This is the first time we've seen Maine lobster on RCCL in many, many years. Ours, fortunately, were free at the Captain's table.

Rick and Deirdra

Just off MN this Monday, Maine lobster in the MDR for $25 extra. Lobsters were a good size. This is the first time we've seen Maine lobster on RCCL in many, many years. Ours, fortunately, were free at the Captain's table.

Rick and Deirdra

They really know how to do it up right on Monarch, don't they.

The F&B manager is doing an outstanding job!!! The roast beef sandwiches on the pool deck were a great idea too. Too bad she's (MN) leaving the family.

Rick and Deirdra

Was that Werner? We we fortunate enough to dine with Werner last May and I agree, the F&B department has never been better.

Rick and Deirdra

Wowie Zowie! Boat price on Maine lobster is 1.50 a pound according the the fishermen here. You can get if for $4 a pound retail- thats either one expensive flight to Florida, or that is one big money maker for the cruise line :eek:

Was that Werner? We we fortunate enough to dine with Werner last May and I agree, the F&B department has never been better.

Yes, it's Werner. Great guy. And doing outstanding in all the dining areas.

Rick and Deirdra

Wowie Zowie! Boat price on Maine lobster is 1.50 a pound according the the fishermen here. You can get if for $4 a pound retail- thats either one expensive flight to Florida, or that is one big money maker for the cruise line :eek:

Probably some of both. Who knows what it costs to fly it to FL and direct to the pier?

Rick and Deirdra

It is a good thing the portions in the MDR are small. I see an awful lot of waste when dining there. So many people order something, take one taste and then go onto something else. People who want more, just order it. People who do not want too much get that.

It is a good thing the portions in the MDR are small. I see an awful lot of waste when dining there. So many people order something, take one taste and then go onto something else. People who want more, just order it. People who do not want too much get that.

Yes, you got it right. Totally agree.

R&D

The portions on a cruise ship are standard size. We as Americans are just so used to our 'super sized' society that we expect huge portions. Four ounces of meat is a standard portion, but very few restaurants serve anything smaller than 6-8 oz.:eek:

The portions on a cruise ship are standard size. We as Americans are just so used to our 'super sized' society that we expect huge portions. Four ounces of meat is a standard portion, but very few restaurants serve anything smaller than 6-8 oz.:eek:

I've been doing some research on restaurants in the cities we'll be in at the beginning and end of our Panama Canal cruise and the standard burger seems to have grown to 8 oz. :confused: No way could I finish one of those. And I really hate wasting food.

But it's not just here in the States. We were just in Australia and someone on the Australia / NZ board mentioned that restaurant servings in Australia weren't as large as in the US. I don't know where he was eating - I never managed to finish a meal in any of the restaurants we ate at. Burgers were huge and the fish and chips - amazing. But definitely not small portions.

100% agree, seen too much waste as well. Hopefully balances the waste in the WJ where people take plates of food only to leave it, so wasteful. But watch out, there are people who voliently disagree and think you should be able to order mountains of food and waste it as they are on a cruise and the food is included and so they are "entitled" :D

Congratulations, now come down here to Myrtle Beach and find $4 a pound lobster and lobster on a restaurant menu under $25. :D

To the OP - I've noticed that over the past few cruises and I really am pleased with that. As Big Eagle and others pointed out - we can try more things on the menu, expecially starters.

Very good news. So tired of wasting food.

Another one who appreciates more normal sized portions. Next time they get new plates, maybe they can get some smaller ones to fool minds.

It's SO easy to get more food- so I think it's great that they don't waste food for the people who wont eat it (or shouldn't).

Even with all that, most STILL gain weight on a cruise.:eek:

Archived