Port to Rome Airport How Early?

edgee

Celebrity Choice Air has booked us on a 10:45 flight from Rome back to Washington Dulles. Ship arrives at port at 5 a.m. We do not want to use cruise line transfer bus due to reports of stolen luggage and unwillingness to allow even small bags to remain with passengers on transfer bus. Would appreciate any advice on how early we can plan to be off of the ship and have private limo driver meet us at the pier..or also would reconsider use of cruise line transfer if anyone can report positive experiences. Thanks for any advice.

A couple of things here. First, if you read the board here, you would find this is probably topic #2. Most people will tell you 10:45 is too early. However, if Celebrity is booking you, they must be almost be guaranteeing you will make it.

Secondly, if you want to be absolutely sure you make that flight, private transfers are the only way to go.

Thirdly, should you miss the flight, you will learn why everyone here recommends against cruise line airfare. You will find you have little or absolutely NO standing to get your problem fixed in anything resembling a timely manner.

Sorry, haven't hard any issues with theft on cruise line transfers, but they are almost never the best deal cost or convenience wise.

I don't like stress so I wouldn't do 10:45 AM but as mentioned if Celebrity has arranged this then they must feel confident about this.

I have not heard of problems with luggage but with that said if all your valuables and say delicate items (cameras, even something you bought) wouldn't fit in what you can take on the bus and had to be stored below I wouldn't do it and would just get my own transfers because I would be concerned bout breakage and also not wanting some of the items out of my hands.

Keith

Thanks for responses. I chose this flight in order to get a non stop flight home, refundable/flexible ticket at a better price than airlines nonrefundable ones, so my concern is how to best assure a smooth transfer. Celebrity/RCCL/Azamara choice air is a great program..complete passenger choice and flexibility. I only mentioned that I booked Celebrity air to reflect, as Keith points out, that it meets cruise line air timing standards...with a little time to spare, actually. I think we will choose to go with Rome Cabs.

We got off Mariner last Saturday about 8:00 and were at FCO by 9:00 -- with a 10:45 flight you should get higher priority to get off earlier, but that's still cutting it close for me. The security and passport lines at FCO were horrible! :(

Celebrity Choice Air has booked us on a 10:45 flight from Rome back to Washington Dulles. Ship arrives at port at 5 a.m. We do not want to use cruise line transfer bus due to reports of stolen luggage and unwillingness to allow even small bags to remain with passengers on transfer bus. Would appreciate any advice on how early we can plan to be off of the ship and have private limo driver meet us at the pier..or also would reconsider use of cruise line transfer if anyone can report positive experiences. Thanks for any advice.

:cool:We had a flight very close to that time last year in June and had way too much time. Also, we had our own private transfer. We were off the ship by 6:45 and at the airport in just over an hour. Do the private transfer and carry off your own luggage...no worries unless something totally unforeseen happens!

Thanks for the good feedback, yougo girl. We have health issues which prevent us from carrying off our own luggage. What is earliest likely departure for non self carriers, as you remember it?

On the Equinox in June we had an 11:10 flight. We used Rome Cabs and they suggested a 7:00 pickup. Like the above poster we got there in under an hour and we were through security and at the gate by 9:00. Celebrity assigned us a time of 6:30 to leave the ship and our bags were there to be picked up. The luggage was in very small groups so it was very easy to find.

Another vote for Rome Cabs- we use Stefano every year and he always has a driver waiting for us no matter what time we need to go. You need to allow two hours travel time in case there is an accident or traffic and also time to get through customs. I would only use a private transfer in any situation- but especially in this case where you could be cutting it close. Personally I would be nervous with that flight time, the ship could be late- have problems clearing customs etc. but if it works for you I would definately contact Stefano and ask him to have a driver waiting for you at the pier. romecabs@yahoo.com www.romecabs.com

We got off Mariner last Saturday about 8:00 and were at FCO by 9:00 -- with a 10:45 flight you should get higher priority to get off earlier, but that's still cutting it close for me. The security and passport lines at FCO were horrible! :(

We also got off Mariner last Saturday and used the cruise line transfer coach service we found it to be very efficient. The cruise line allocated coach transfers accordingly to your flight time. Looking at your flight time i would hope you were on one of the first coaches to depart.

The first disembarkation 'taking your own luggage' started at approx 06.45am. Our flight wasn't until 13.10 so we did not disembarked until 09.00 but traffic was minimal so we arrived at FCO at around 10.15. There were 3 coaches allocated for our group '33'; the coaches departed as they reached capacity we were on the second of the three coaches.

On arrival at the airport we were met by an RCI operative who provided us with our checking gate number, and terminal, additionally they provided passengers with a free trolley which were located next to the coach as the driver unloaded our luggage.

We arrived very earlier for our flight and security, in Terminal 3, was not very busy and we passed through in about 15minutes. Again, we flew on to Spain with Alitalia and were able to use baggage drop as we had already checked-in whilst still on the cruise.

I would consider a private transfer to ensure you can leave as soon as disembarkation starts and are not held up waiting for your coach to fill up. The luggage was already waiting under banners matching your disembarkation number.

We also got off Mariner last Saturday and used the cruise line transfer coach service we found it to be very efficient. The cruise line allocated coach transfers accordingly to your flight time. Looking at your flight time i would hope you were on one of the first coaches to depart.

The first disembarkation 'taking your own luggage' started at approx 06.45am. Our flight wasn't until 13.10 so we did not disembarked until 09.00 but traffic was minimal so we arrived at FCO at around 10.15. There were 3 coaches allocated for our group '33'; the coaches departed as they reached capacity we were on the second of the three coaches.

On arrival at the airport we were met by an RCI operative who provided us with our checking gate number, and terminal, additionally they provided passengers with a free trolley which were located next to the coach as the driver unloaded our luggage.

We arrived very earlier for our flight and security, in Terminal 3, was not very busy and we passed through in about 15minutes. Again, we flew on to Spain with Alitalia and were able to use baggage drop as we had already checked-in whilst still on the cruise.

I would consider a private transfer to ensure you can leave as soon as disembarkation starts and are not held up waiting for your coach to fill up. The luggage was already waiting under banners matching your disembarkation number.

We are on the same ship in September and we always carry or bags off. We like being first off the ship. :D

Question: is there any customs or officials that we need to clear before getting in our private transfer? OR do we just walk off the ship with bags

in hand at 6:45 am and jump stright into our limo?

I need to have the limo there at the correct time. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the same ship in September and we always carry or bags off. We like being first off the ship. :D

Question: is there any customs or officials that we need to clear before getting in our private transfer? OR do we just walk off the ship with bags

in hand at 6:45 am and jump stright into our limo?

I need to have the limo there at the correct time. Thanks

No customs or officials. Once you sign out, using your key card, for the final time prior to exiting the ship its a short walk to the luggage area, the luggage was laid our waiting, collect luggage and the taxis/coaches etc. were right outside. We disembarked, collected our luggage and were boarding our coach within 15minutes - the quickest disembarkation yet!

Usually the cruise line likes to have a 5 hour window from the time it is supposed to dock until flight time. Of course most cruises that end in Civitavecchia have a previous stop in Italy (Naples, Salerno or Liverno) and the ship is frequently in port by 4:00 am or earlier. Usually with a 5:00 am docking time on Celebrity in Civitavecchia you can be off the ship by 6:30 (usually -- I am sure there have been exceptions). A private transfer is the better choice if you decide to do the 10:45 am flight. If all goes well you can be at FCO by 8:00 am

Everyone will think I am crazy but next year the Silhouette is supposed to dock at 4:00 am and I am currently considering a 9:50 am flight to Newark. My safe choice would be the 10:45 am to Dulles with a transter to Newark.:)

Archived