Cunard new vantage fares, thank you Cunard

southwestie

For anyone in USA, I have posted the answer I received this morning from Cunard USA, under the other thread .

However should anyone be interested on this thread, the answer is that Cunard USA have absolutely never heard of this announcement.

In fact it almost seemed that they thought it was a spoof, not fact.

I have e mailed the agent there with the information as printed.

It is interesting that Cunard staff in USA have no information at all, I did at least exect them to know about this even if at this time they said "it does not apply to USA bookings" but not to know one word!!!!

It is only for the UK bookings, but yes your would think they would know, or check the Uk web site

Call me a cynic, and I haven't had any email or mailing from Cunard about this myself, but the careful wording suggests to me plenty of let-outs for permitting new late bookings to obtain massively better deals than those offered to early bookers. I am particularly suspicious since the 'vantage' fares I have looked at are extremely high - a TA next May seems to be about double the price I would normally expect to pay. At these prices I will be kissing my Cunard habit bye bye!

Reading more about this scheme - it seems to me to be similar to that which we have here in Oz when purchasing a ticket on an aircraft. When you price an airline ticket here, you can get several different fares for the same seat on the same plane -- each fare has its own set of conditions. If it is, I see this as a good way of doing things. However these fares still change on a day-by-day basis.

Barry

True.

but

We had a booking for QE for this September, we canceled and re booked on a getaway fare, we went from a D8 to an A6 saved £900 as well and an OBC

Surely that is just agreeing with what I have said. Lose deposit if it is outside 90 days but the better offer you took was still a lot cheaper than you originally signed up for and if it was offered inside 90 days you would have lost your whole fare!

Surely that is just agreeing with what I have said. Lose deposit if it is outside 90 days but the better offer you took was still a lot cheaper than you originally signed up for and if it was offered inside 90 days you would have lost your whole fare!

Yes , your right, however if this Price guarantee had been in place at that time, i would just had the difference back as OBC or upgrades and NOT lost the deposit.

This new way means you can book and if the price drops you get the lower price or better deal, thats what we all want.

However if you just book a getaway deal then you have to go with what they offer, the new way is in force right up till 90 days before you sail

Yes , your right, however if this Price guarantee had been in place at that time, i would just had the difference back as OBC or upgrades and NOT lost the deposit.

l

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, but you transferred to a getaway booking, and the getaway fares are excluded from the new scheme:confused:

Mary

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, but you transferred to a getaway booking, and the getaway fares are excluded from the new scheme:confused:

Mary

No, I was transferred to a get getaway fare from a full fare, this is for a booking next Month, i had a great deal- nothing to do with the Vantage fares scheme:D

The Vantage fares will mean we all get a better deal from next week on, on NEW bookings not everyone will be happy though

Norfolk Brit My Nov 27 booking is due to be paid last days of July 120 days before sailing, is that normal?

our 8th october 2013 trip has to be paid 23rd of june 2013.

it seems to be approx 12 weeks?

Debra

No, I was transferred to a get getaway fare from a full fare, this is for a booking next Month, i had a great deal- nothing to do with the Vantage fares scheme:D

The Vantage fares will mean we all get a better deal from next week on, on NEW bookings not everyone will be happy though

I'm also finding your posts extremely contradictory.

Perhaps you could re-read them and clarify? I read one of your posts as saying that under the Vantage scheme, you could have got the new reduced price, despite the fact that the new price was a getaway deal - I thought these were barred from the scheme?:confused:

Annie

Our cruise deposits were paid early on in June and we received our letter yesterday to inform us that under the Vantage Fares scheme, we had been given a substantial amount more OBC which would be credited to our account within 2 weeks. An enclosed leaflet explained it all and also said that nearer the time of departure, Getaway Fares may also be offered.

Our cruise deposits were paid early on in June and we received our letter yesterday to inform us that under the Vantage Fares scheme, we had been given a substantial amount more OBC which would be credited to our account within 2 weeks. An enclosed leaflet explained it all and also said that nearer the time of departure, Getaway Fares may also be offered.

well done, thats good news, I know my 2014 booking is included, its all new to all of us, so early days, from what tell say you will either get a getaway deal, (a lot less to pay ) Nearer the time, or OBC or an upgrade

I understand it fully, :)

Call me a cynic, and I haven't had any email or mailing from Cunard about this myself, but the careful wording suggests to me plenty of let-outs for permitting new late bookings to obtain massively better deals than those offered to early bookers. I am particularly suspicious since the 'vantage' fares I have looked at are extremely high - a TA next May seems to be about double the price I would normally expect to pay. At these prices I will be kissing my Cunard habit bye bye!

I agree with your cynicism.

I read the blurb, and was initially happy that I could return to early bookings with Cunard instead of our now standard practice of waiting for the late, full payment deals. Then I started to read between the lines a little bit.

My conclusion (which folks may disagree with) is that this is a careful marketing ploy to persuade a proportion of punters to book up early on the possibility of later benefits. If the plan works they will never materialise because early booking occupancy will be higher so offers will occur less frequently (or in many cases not at all). It doesn't mirror how things go on with Celebrity - whenever the price drops I pick up the phone and hey presto, my booking price is reduced.

Congratulations to those early bookers who are already benefitting from the change. But it won't persuade me to return to my old ways and I'll still be holding my breath and playing chicken for the voyages I want.

This is how I see it.

The present "Voyages" Brochure has "celebratory" savings up to 10per cent off the full price. No one ever pays full price.....do they.

So presumably when the replacement brochures are published they will offer a full price (that again no one will pay) and the new Vantage

rates which will be reduced from the top line rates. They will have the added benefits and the price promise. Everyone will book these except the late waiters.

The Vantage prices will be seldom if ever reduced and any reductions will be offered via the Getaway route.

Cunard don't like people booking late, but they have to to fill the ship. It is interesting to compare the policy at Saga who give a straight promise that if they reduce the price of the cruise after booking they will refund (

In cash not, OBC) the difference.

David.

This is how I see it.

The present "Voyages" Brochure has "celebratory" savings up to 10per cent off the full price. No one ever pays full price.....do they.

So presumably when the replacement brochures are published they will offer a full price (that again no one will pay) and the new Vantage

rates which will be reduced from the top line rates. They will have the added benefits and the price promise. Everyone will book these except the late waiters.

The Vantage prices will be seldom if ever reduced and any reductions will be offered via the Getaway route.

Cunard don't like people booking late, but they have to to fill the ship. It is interesting to compare the policy at Saga who give a straight promise that if they reduce the price of the cruise after booking they will refund (

David.

Yes, I know there are posters who say that they got "deals", but are never willing to reveal the names of the agents (in private e mails). Personally I find that when I book, I almost never manage to get less than the brochure price, between being told that the position of the cabin carries a "slight;y higher cost", the solo supplement which means that I have to pay for 2 people if I try for the 2 for 1 fare , and the 200% on the Gvt Tax, my cost is often more than the brochure fare. I also find that the OBC in ads is again on the cabin itself with two people in the cabin, go solo and you only get half the amount.

Even the Gvt Tax is questionable, I posted about the charge to solo to be told I was incorrect by many posters, but always checking my invoices (and in speaking to agent ) I was always told that solo have to pay extra because the tax is based on 2 people paying it not 1.

This is how I see it.

David.

Balf, Thank you, your 100% right, you have it, :):):):)

But if you buy the Vantage price 18 months ahead the deals likely to go down- My voyage is purchased at the full price for Jan 3rd 2014, so being a winter crossing it should I hope go down-- but who can say

Yes, I know there are posters who say that they got "deals", but are never willing to reveal the names of the agents (in private e mails). Personally I find that when I book, I almost never manage to get less than the brochure price, between being told that the position of the cabin carries a "slight;y higher cost", the solo supplement which means that I have to pay for 2 people if I try for the 2 for 1 fare , and the 200% on the Gvt Tax, my cost is often more than the brochure fare. I also find that the OBC in ads is again on the cabin itself with two people in the cabin, go solo and you only get half the amount.

Even the Gvt Tax is questionable, I posted about the charge to solo to be told I was incorrect by many posters, but always checking my invoices (and in speaking to agent ) I was always told that solo have to pay extra because the tax is based on 2 people paying it not 1.

This is often true, especially for sale prices. They almost always quote the rate for the lowest-priced inside, lowest-priced ocean view, lowest-priced balcony. The ad will say "prices from $$$" but at first glance, all people see is the price. There are 5 or 6 different levels of sheltered balcony on QM2, often with a $100 price difference between lowest and highest.

It would be nice if Cunard would reduce the single supplement when they're doing a 2 for 1 fare sale, but I haven't seen it happen on Cunard.

Ah... sounds like the Cunard equivalent to Carnival US "Early Saver Deposit" program.

What they are trying to do is to get people to book early, rather than wait til last minute for FLASH Promos (US) or whatever they call them in the UK.

It works to a certain degree.

Balf, Thank you, your 100% right, you have it, :):):):)

But if you buy the Vantage price 18 months ahead the deals likely to go down- My voyage is purchased at the full price for Jan 3rd 2014, so being a winter crossing it should I hope go down-- but who can say

It will be interesting to see if your Vantage price is reduced. Personally I doubt it. Cunard will sell the Vantage deal until they judge they have extracted the maximum sales then start pushing the Getaway deals directly and through agents. I would never book so far ahead, we havn't had Jan 13th 2013 yet.

David

It will be interesting to see if your Vantage price is reduced. Personally I doubt it. Cunard will sell the Vantage deal until they judge they have extracted the maximum sales then start pushing the Getaway deals directly and through agents. I would never book so far ahead, we havn't had Jan 13th 2013 yet.

David

I Booked so far ahead o get the cabin I wanted and arrange the time and accommodation for new years eve in NYC, also had a good deal and huge OBC as well, normally it would be discounted near the day, but then in the UK we would not get anything, so this at least gives us a chance,

Do I understand it right then? -- that there are people here who actually pay the full "glossy brochure price" for their cruises???

We have had 150 days at sea over the past 18 months - and 51 days in the preceding 3&1/2 years - and have never paid over 50% of the brochure price for any of these cruises and cruiselines. Some here need to do some serious Internet research!!!

Barry

Unfortunately, as a solo traveller I don't have many options . . . . . check the small print and it usually says on special offers "based on 2 passengers sharing a cabin" - as another solo traveller has said, offer to pay double the special offer price and it's not allowed. Hopefully the new policies may address this problem.

Archived