6 of us to Bermuda???

Aliceacc

My son turns 16 in 2 xhort years. I'm starting to play with the idea of letting him take a friend, and doing a family Bermuda cruise that year. (when his younger sisters hit that same age, they would get the same deal in leiu of a big Sweet 16 party.) He's been begging to go on a cruise for a whle. (poor baby, we leave for Disney World in 16 days:) )

Anyway, I realize that prices and itineraries for 2014 aren't out yet... I'm just trying to get a feel for what this would cost. We're in NY, so airfars isn't an issue; we could leave from NYC or Bayonne NJ. Our last cruise was our honeymoon in 1989.

I want to start exploring options-- connecting cabins, a suite, whatever. I have no particular knowledge of one line over another.

Can anyone steer me in a direction? Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Alice

Your options would be NCL, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

Royal has not announced a ship for NJ for 2014. There is speculation that there are swapping out Explorer for another ship.

All three are good but I would focus on Royal or NCL for teen activities.

You would need a large suit for 6. Some people get a balcony for themselves and put teens across the hall in an inside. You know you teen for this decision. Connecting are also a way to go.

I'm way too much of a mama bear to let the boys have a cabin to themselves. A connecting cabin with the door open, sure. But ALL by themselves? Not a chance.

Do all cruise ships, or at least the ones under discussion, have connecting cabins?

I didn't know boys had "sweet 16" parties...thought it was just girls who were "sweet"!

They don't... but it doesn't seem quite fair.

Besides, that's the year we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. So I'm thinking a cruise might be fun.

Still just playing with ideas, not saying anything to the kids yet. I mentioned the idea to my husband in passing. But I figured we would get through the Disney trip before I even gave this serious consideration.

We are a family of 7, and have found that connecting balcony cabins works well for us. We have done NCL out of NYC twice, and have the new Breakaway booked for 2013. That is costing $6000+, since it's a new ship. I think we've paid less than $5000 for 2 connecting balconies in the past. It will always cost more to sail from NY/NJ than other ports, especially Florida, but it's worth it, not only saving $ on flights, but on travel time. It's great to be at your vacation destination in 20 minutes.

I'm way too much of a mama bear to let the boys have a cabin to themselves. A connecting cabin with the door open, sure. But ALL by themselves? Not a chance.

Do all cruise ships, or at least the ones under discussion, have connecting cabins?

How old are your kids? My oldest have been going on choir/band trips with their school starting in the 7th grade - 4 kids to a room, no adults allowed in the rooms. This is typical for most schools.

I would do Norwegian or RCI - those leave out of NYC and Bayonne, NJ.

On NCL there is a "2 bedroom Penthouse suite" - when you walked into our suite - the kids had their own cabin and bathroom within our suite. Then we had a living room - then we had our MASSIVE bathroom. Then we had our our bedroom suite. So the kids had their own space and we had ours.

It comes with butler service too ;) and there were different levels - Haven and non-Haven. So the Haven level had their own indoor pool area.

Amazing suite options!

OK, then let's talk 2013. If it were next summer, what would you recommend?

We just booked Royal Explorer out of Bayonne to Bermuda 2013

(same situation 2 teens, each one bringing a friend!)

Explorer has alot to offer for the kids, they won't be disappointed, we sailed the Adventure which is pretty much the same and had 6 cousins busy for an entire week and they never even joined the kids clubs!

Archived