Maui

Gem Lover

It depends on your interests. Look over your shore excursion list, and determine, your budget and interests. If you can pick a few, and repost, probably more useful information can be obtained.

What I have done, may be of no interest to you.

It depends on your interests. Look over your shore excursion list, and determine, your budget and interests. If you can pick a few, and repost, probably more useful information can be obtained.

What I have done, may be of no interest to you.

I agree with Budget Queen, and add that a little reading on the board here will give you ideas to further research.

Rent a car and drive up to Haleakala. Give yourself at least 3 hours to drive up, back, and look around. $10/car admission fee. Stop at the Maui Tropical Plantation before or after for a tram tour $15/pp. At least one hour there. Go see Iao Needle from there. Or scrap those and drive down the Hana Highway. Get rental car back by 4pm to make the last shuttle back to ship and wander around Lahaina until reboarding - take a photo at Banyan Tree and shop at Hilo Hatties. Some people like to take a charter boat to snorkel at Molokini but the place is usually a zoo. Only in the morning before the seas get too rough. Or look through this forum or Trip Advisor for other suggestions.

Aloha!

We spent two days in maui during our recent cruise. It was our first visit to the islands.

First day we did the "Stand Up" paddleboard surfing - it was a blast! Very easy to do too (my DH and I are in our mid 40's)! We headed back to the ship, had lunch, cleaned up and headed back out to walk around and then later we went to the Old Lahaina Luau - they did a great job (no fire dancing) - good food - libations included! :D

Second day we took a tour with the ship up to the Haleakala crater, which took most of the day - we enjoyed the drive (our driver/guide was excellent) - the view was amazing at the crater. We stopped for lunch on the way day and then he stopped at Hilo Hatties for about a half of an hour.

We enjoyed everything we did in Maui!

Maui is beautiful and I'm sure you will find something that interests you. :D

Any suggestions for an local tour guide? We are on same cruise as Gem and they have split or 2 days in Maui so no very early tours or evenings. We like to tour with a smaller group and dont want to rent a car.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Aloha!

We spent two days in maui during our recent cruise. It was our first visit to the islands.

First day we did the "Stand Up" paddleboard surfing - it was a blast! Very easy to do too (my DH and I are in our mid 40's)! We headed back to the ship, had lunch, cleaned up and headed back out to walk around and then later we went to the Old Lahaina Luau - they did a great job (no fire dancing) - good food - libations included! :D

Second day we took a tour with the ship up to the Haleakala crater, which took most of the day - we enjoyed the drive (our driver/guide was excellent) - the view was amazing at the crater. We stopped for lunch on the way day and then he stopped at Hilo Hatties for about a half of an hour.

We enjoyed everything we did in Maui!

Maui is beautiful and I'm sure you will find something that interests you. :D

We are going to Maui on Tues. but we aren't going on a cruise just decided a couple weeks ago to do a land vacation but we will do the cruise next June. We are renting a car and may go up to Haleakala crater but can we drive up there and have the fantastic view or do we have to hike into get the view? DH has difficulty walking on uneven ground and is getting a brace for his knee (or lack thereof due to botched surgery) but he won't get it until sometime after we get back.:( So hoping that there is no hiking needed for this trip.

We are going to Maui on Tues. but we aren't going on a cruise just decided a couple weeks ago to do a land vacation but we will do the cruise next June. We are renting a car and may go up to Haleakala crater but can we drive up there and have the fantastic view or do we have to hike into get the view? DH has difficulty walking on uneven ground and is getting a brace for his knee (or lack thereof due to botched surgery) but he won't get it until sometime after we get back.:( So hoping that there is no hiking needed for this trip.

Aloha!

Once you reach the crater, they have a great viewing area. No need to hike anywhere. Minimal walking. :D Can be windy and cooler than the base of the volcano. We brought pullovers and were thankful that we had them. :D some people go up there before sunrise (I think it's often referred to as "House of the Rising Sun") and watch the sun come up above the clouds. I've heard it's amazing. We were unable to do that since we were on the ship. If you don't mind getting up in the wee hours of the morning, you may want to check that out as an option. :D

Aloha!

Once you reach the crater, they have a great viewing area. No need to hike anywhere. Minimal walking. :D Can be windy and cooler than the base of the volcano. We brought pullovers and were thankful that we had them. :D some people go up there before sunrise (I think it's often referred to as "House of the Rising Sun") and watch the sun come up above the clouds. I've heard it's amazing. We were unable to do that since we were on the ship. If you don't mind getting up in the wee hours of the morning, you may want to check that out as an option. :D

Thanks for the info. I think we will try it but it will not be for the sunrise. I have never been a morning person and DH isn't so much anymore either.:)

Aloha!

We are on a ship as well, but the tour sounds great. I would get up before sunrise if needed. I'm thankful I don't have to, especially on vacation.

Gem:)

I had actually booked the road to hana tour with Valley Isle which comes highly rcommended, but heard too many people say that with only two days in Maui that it was too much time spent in a vehicle. I ended up canceling and booking a "taste of Maui tour" for our first day that lasts until 1pm and then we are renting a car for the rest of the day. I am hoping this will give us the best of both options as I do enjoy the informative nature of a tour, but also want to explore a bit on our own at our pace.

We will be there the second week in Sept. so I will post a review once we return. I just finished working on my 12 day itinerary. I thought it would be easy to fit in all we wanted to do and see, but it came down to having to make some choices as the last thing I want to do is feel like I'm on a wild ride with no time to stop and just simply enjoy the beauty of the Islands. :)

Our cruise docs arrived on Saturday, so while I have no desire for the summer to end quickly - I am definitely getting excited about the trip.

I had actually booked the road to hana tour with Valley Isle which comes highly rcommended, but heard too many people say that with only two days in Maui that it was too much time spent in a vehicle. I ended up canceling and booking a "taste of Maui tour" for our first day that lasts until 1pm and then we are renting a car for the rest of the day. I am hoping this will give us the best of both options as I do enjoy the informative nature of a tour, but also want to explore a bit on our own at our pace.

We will be there the second week in Sept. so I will post a review once we return. I just finished working on my 12 day itinerary. I thought it would be easy to fit in all we wanted to do and see, but it came down to having to make some choices as the last thing I want to do is feel like I'm on a wild ride with no time to stop and just simply enjoy the beauty of the Islands. :)

Our cruise docs arrived on Saturday, so while I have no desire for the summer to end quickly - I am definitely getting excited about the trip.

Because we don't have an overnight in Maui, we won't be able to do the Road to Hanna tour because it leaves before we dock. The Celebrity Solstice has 2 separate days in Maui. Every tour company that I've checked has the same departing time. I will be forced to do the Haleakala Crater with the cruise ship & now it looks like I'll have to do Adventure to Hanna with them as well. The cost is $159 per person which is pretty steep.

I would love to do a Valley Isle tour but there is no provisions for cruise ships that dock at 8 AM & leave at 5 PM. I have read about the Road to Hana & would love to do the tour, but I've tried a few sites on line and they all leave around 7 AM & return @ 6:30. I've looked into private limo and their prices are ridiculous.

Gail:)

Hi!

This is a question for Budget Queen. I will be in Maui next Feb. on a Celebrity cruise and the only thing I want to do/see there are whales! :D Have seen them in Alaska on your recommendation and want to know your pick for the best whale watching tours in Maui in Feb. please.

Thanks so much, Sue

Hi!

This is a question for Budget Queen. I will be in Maui next Feb. on a Celebrity cruise and the only thing I want to do/see there are whales! :D Have seen them in Alaska on your recommendation and want to know your pick for the best whale watching tours in Maui in Feb. please.

Thanks so much, Sue

Take your binoculars, you can easily see them from shore. :) I go every Feb, and this year was there for 3 weeks, saw them just about every day. :)

I did go on 2 whale watches, I like Gemini and Trilogy, but likley any would be good. :) I also did 3 snorkel trips to Molokini, which also saw whales. All out of Maui.

Because we don't have an overnight in Maui, we won't be able to do the Road to Hanna tour because it leaves before we dock. The Celebrity Solstice has 2 separate days in Maui. Every tour company that I've checked has the same departing time. I will be forced to do the Haleakala Crater with the cruise ship & now it looks like I'll have to do Adventure to Hanna with them as well. The cost is $159 per person which is pretty steep.

Do it on your own by renting a car! My wife and I did this our first time to Maui which was on a cruise in 2002. The rental car agencies will pick you up near where the tenders bring you in from the ship. Plus the ship doesn't leave until midnight so you will have plenty of time.

I agree with the previous poster, just rent a car, driving the Road to Hanna is not a hard a difficult drive, yes you have turns and twists, but with power steering not hard at all. The hardest part for us was we had a convertable, and that ment top up top down, rain and an sun, just allow enough time to get back to the ship.

I agree with the previous poster, just rent a car, driving the Road to Hanna is not a hard a difficult drive, yes you have turns and twists, but with power steering not hard at all. The hardest part for us was we had a convertable, and that ment top up top down, rain and an sun, just allow enough time to get back to the ship.

We are planning on dong this and wonder if we get off the tender before 9:00, shuttle to the rental car and take this drive to Hana, there and back, how long should it take?

Thanks in advance for your help?

We are planning on dong this and wonder if we get off the tender before 9:00, shuttle to the rental car and take this drive to Hana, there and back, how long should it take?

Thanks in advance for your help?

You may not get off the ship until around 9 as they fill up the first tenders with excursion groups. Depending on what you do, it will take you a few hours each way to Hana. We have done it twice and have actually not turned around at Hana but went thru onto a dirt/gravel road until it came back around to the other side of the island and eventually goes right by the Tedeschi winery. You aren't supposed to drive on dirt roads with a rental car but the dirt road isn't bad at all. Plus we saw some of the most beautiful rainbows we have ever seen on the south side of the island!! It's a good long day and you see some incredible sights! The road to Hana actually starts in Paia and there is a good restaurant there called Charley's and it's reasonable for Maui's standards. It's the place where Willie Nelson goes when he stays at his home in Maui.

You may not get off the ship until around 9 as they fill up the first tenders with excursion groups. Depending on what you do, it will take you a few hours each way to Hana. We have done it twice and have actually not turned around at Hana but went thru onto a dirt/gravel road until it came back around to the other side of the island and eventually goes right by the Tedeschi winery. You aren't supposed to drive on dirt roads with a rental car but the dirt road isn't bad at all. Plus we saw some of the most beautiful rainbows we have ever seen on the south side of the island!! It's a good long day and you see some incredible sights! The road to Hana actually starts in Paia and there is a good restaurant there called Charley's and it's reasonable for Maui's standards. It's the place where Willie Nelson goes when he stays at his home in Maui.

Thanks for your help. Can you answer a couple of more? :)

Can you tell me how long this took? If we are off around 9:00 and did the drive you did, what time can we expect to be back to the main section of Maui? Also, did you rent a car? How long did it take to shuttle from the pier to the car rental place?

Lastly, I noticed that you have a Century cruise coming up to Hawaii? Are you by any chance on our November 4 cruise? We have a great roll call going on. We would love to have more folks join us.

Again, thanks for your help.

Jim

Archived