Voyage of the Midnight Sun

loum140

Hello: We are looking at this cruise on Nautica, London to Copenhagen, with a strong focus on Norway, July 2013. Would appreciate any feedback. (thanks Lyn for link to your photos) Stops in Bergen and Oslo are only 6 hours and others are even less. I know this or a similar itinerary has been offered in the past. Please share your experiences and help us decide. Thanks, Marsha

We did this cruise on Insignia in July 2010 but my computer happened to eat my entire file on the trip (other than my photos). I remember a short day in Oslo although I thought we had more time in Bergen. I could be wrong on that score ... not a full day most likely. Lyn will remember!

We enjoyed the trip very much but I'd have to look at your itinerary to see if it's the same or merely similar. Probably it is pretty much the same.

Mura

Okay, I checked ... it looks the same. Times in port might be different but probably not by much. The split day between Hellsylt and Geiranger is sufficient. The only people who leave the ship in Hellsylt are on ship's tours. The ship drops them off and goes to Geiranger. Both are tiny towns. In Murmansk (unless you get a visa which isn't really worth the cost for only one Russian port) you must use a ship's tour. Many of us find this port disappointing, but it IS Russia and the volunteer guides are friendly and helpful. I can't say as much for "the suits" that were waiting dockside when we returned from our tours ...

The museum in Spitsbergen is (for me) a must-see. We had adequate time in Hammerfest and Harstad for independent tours.

I see that this cruise DOES have a full day in Bergen. A half day in Kristiansand (in my opinion after two stops there) is more than sufficient.

My vote is to "go for it". But you have to decide ...

I agree with Mura ...go for it

Take some private tours where you can

Oslo & Bergen you can DIY as I emailed you

maybe other on the previous cruises will have the names of the tour guides ...I have forgotten

:eek:

Enjoy

Lyn

I was on the same cruise with Lyn & Mura on Insignia. One of the best cruises I have been on. Re guides etc I also have a bad memory but do remember this company. I booked a tour with them for 9 people in Spitsbergen and they failed to show. So word of warning don't use them.:mad:

spitsbergentaxi@gmail.com -they were recommended to me by Svalbard Tourism

The only other company/guide that we used that I can remember was in Harstad. From memory everyone enjoyed the tour.

HARSTAD - post@destinationharstad.no

http://www.destinationharstad.no/hen

I will try to get time to look through some papers from this cruise next weekend and see if I can find more info. I know I organised a tour in Hammerfest.

Rhonda

][/color]

I will try to get time to look through some papers from this cruise next weekend and see if I can find more info. I know I organised a tour in Hammerfest.

Rhonda

It was a good one also

Thanks Rhonda for organizing them ;)

Lyn

I agree, too. All of Rhonda's tours were excellent. And as to the problem in Spitsbergen, it worked out pretty well as far as we were concerned. We took the shuttle up into town and spent most of our time in their excellent museum.

Another tour to explore is Bird Island out of Honningsvaag -- you have to get to Jesvaer to catch the boat. We used the same taxi service for this trip as we did going out to North Cape the night before. A highlight of our cruise. (I forget to found the taxi service and as I said my computer ate my file. One of these days I really should look into my hard copies and see what I have.)

Mura

Thanks for some of the good tour links. We're booked on this cruise and I appreciate the information. I am especially intrigued about the boat tour from Jesvaer.

I have had this itinerary on my bucket list for a while. I really relish the idea of circumnavigating Svalbard.

Thanks for some of the good tour links. We're booked on this cruise and I appreciate the information. I am especially intrigued about the boat tour from Jesvaer.

I have had this itinerary on my bucket list for a while. I really relish the idea of circumnavigating Svalbard.

I was on this itinerary also and loved it SO BEAUTIFUL!!! not an exciting trip but so worth the trip..

Jancruz1

Archived