Review - Amsterdam 14night Alaska Explorer 6/29-7/13t

trophy_23

Sitka

It was a gloomy looking day ahead of us in Sitka, with no excursion plan. We headed to shore on an early tender and walked to the Sitka Sound Science Center for a brief walk through. From here we continued on to the totem park and then to the Raptor Center, which was really neat. On the way back we walked through the park again and then along the beach to explore the tide pools. After some shopping in town we made it back to the tender area under the O'Connell Bridge just in time to take shelter from an absolute downpour! Dessert extravaganza night was fantastic as always, with some amazing displays of culinary talent from the crew. I am glad to see it has been gradually scaled down from what it was 5 years ago when we first cruised, I hate to see waste.

7650308882_240f94a9d3_b.jpg

Tender Dock

7650298132_8e73ced251_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

Sitka

It was a gloomy looking day ahead of us in Sitka, with no excursion plan. We headed to shore on an early tender and walked to the Sitka Sound Science Center for a brief walk through. From here we continued on to the totem park and then to the Raptor Center, which was really neat. On the way back we walked through the park again and then along the beach to explore the tide pools. After some shopping in town we made it back to the tender area under the O'Connell Bridge just in time to take shelter from an absolute downpour! Dessert extravaganza night was fantastic as always, with some amazing displays of culinary talent from the crew. I am glad to see it has been gradually scaled down from what it was 5 years ago when we first cruised, I hate to see waste.

7650308882_240f94a9d3_b.jpg

Tender Dock

7650298132_8e73ced251_b.jpg

Someone on our June 1st cruise, said that the lighthouse in your first photo here, is on the cover of a coffee table magazine about lighthouses.

It is not really a lighthouse at all, but just part of the lodge (or whatever) that is there in Sitka. My husband wonders how they get electricity and other facilities out to all those Islands??? It really is a beautiful area.

Wounderful pics of the bears.

Thank you! I don't like to post my best pictures online(call me paranoid), so I do have better ones in the vault, but I think those at least give everyone an idea of how close we were to them and what a great time we had with Sea Hawk's excursion.

Edited by trophy_23

Finally, a sunny day, at sea as we make our way back along the West side of the Queen Charlotte Islands and Vancouver Island. A great day on deck watching whales, where at some points we were able to see 4-5 surface at once. Looks like favorable weather for our day in Victoria. Another beautiful sunset!

7650408014_3b7c388d0a_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

Victoria

Welcome to 70+ degree weather, a beautiful 'shorts' day in Victoria! We decided to take advantage of the nice weather and walk from the ship to town. Victoria is close to home for us, we visit often, so planned a low key day, a visit to the museum and Imax theater. We walked back to the ship for dinner and then decided to walk the breakwater at Ogden Point to catch the sunset. For sail away at 11pm we headed to the crows nest for one last happy hour and were treated to a spectacular lightning storm!

7650401894_1092604040_b.jpg

7650422960_928ee1af97_b.jpg

7650431214_c49c349eb2_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

We had requested a later disembarkation time as we were getting picked up by family at the pier, so we headed off the ship at 9:15am. It was a breeze getting of the ship, going through immigration and getting our bags. We certainly met many interesting people from all over the world on this trip and hope everyone had safe travels back home. It is a shame they are discontinuing this itinerary, we had a wonderful time and it was the best trip we have had to Alaska yet! I don't think the 7nighters will cut it any more :)

Edited by trophy_23

I will be doing this in pieces as I collect my thoughts and get organized. I have to say, I hate coming back from such a nice vacation and getting right back into work the next day :p Well here we go.

The Ship

We were on the Rotterdam in 2010, so the Amsterdam felt very familiar to us. It was a quick walk from end to end, and felt small having just been on the Eurodam in September. I was impressed with how stable she felt even on the days when we had slightly rougher sea conditions. Overall we found the Amsterdam to be in pretty good shape and kept clean. Every day the crew were out painting, washing and maintaining the ship. I was pleased to see that she still had an aft pool as opposed to the retreat pool that was on the Rotterdam.

The Cabin

For this trip we decided to try an HH fully obstructed ocean view on the Lower Promenade deck. We chose HH3384 (instead of taking a chance on a guarantee) because we liked its location, close to both the aft and midship elevators/stairs and with quick access to the walking deck (the largest balcony on the ship). The cabin was small, but well laid out, though I think we lost a small amount of space due to this being a connecting cabin with HH3382. It was just fine for 2 people, with lots of storage space under the bed for our large suitcases (with carry-on packed inside) and plenty of space for all of our clothing, we even had bedside drawers (big enough for laptops) with keyed locks. There was a small loveseat, which we never did sit on, but instead used to store our large camera backpacks. My only real complaint about this cabin was that we only had one awkwardly placed wall plug-in above the desk, that when used with a camera charger would turn on and off the lights, due to the charger hitting the adjacent switch. I think it would have been nice to have another plug-in somewhere, near the bed perhaps (we did look but didn't find one). **A word of warning for those considering this cabin (or adjacent cabins), we did experience noise from the main galley overhead, which usually stopped by midnight and started again around 5am, overall it really didn't bother us, but it could be a problem for some.**

I have sent Joanie the pictures of this cabin so if anyone needs the for future reference here is the link (they are near the middle of the page):

http://abqreunion2008.com/Amsterdam/Deck-3.html

Even though I wrote my own review of this cruise, your review made me relive the best parts again. Thank you, Carlo and Katherine

Thank you. I took have read through other reviews from this trip, it is great to see how everyone else felt and relive it again and again.

Thank you. I took have read through other reviews from this trip, it is great to see how everyone else felt and relive it again and again.

Ahoy Trophy!

Thanks for the great pix & review! I guess our paths didn't cross during the cruise but never-the-less I certainly have enjoyed your postings.

I have a query. What brand / model of camera did you use ( & lens used? ) for the great pictures you've provided? I'm just curious.

Please be well & remain to be so.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Ahoy Trophy!

Thanks for the great pix & review! I guess our paths didn't cross during the cruise but never-the-less I certainly have enjoyed your postings.

I have a query. What brand / model of camera did you use ( & lens used? ) for the great pictures you've provided? I'm just curious.

Please be well & remain to be so.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Hi Bob,

Yes, a shame we didn't cross paths on the trip, but I am sure you saw me walking around at some point. Late 20's packing around a bit camera most of the time :)

The photos here are a combination of a Canon 50D and Canon 7D, lenses vary but are all Canons 24-105mm, 70-200mm or 300mm. Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Hi Bob,

Yes, a shame we didn't cross paths on the trip, but I am sure you saw me walking around at some point. Late 20's packing around a bit camera most of the time :)

The photos here are a combination of a Canon 50D and Canon 7D, lenses vary but are all Canons 24-105mm, 70-200mm or 300mm. Hope this helps.

Thank you Trophy for sharing the link to this on another thread.

Great review. I am doing this itinerary in 12 weeks or so and I can NOT wait. You did similar excursions to ones I'm planning and between your writing and the photos - I am beyond excited.

Thanks for the info on your camera too. I am going with my Canon 60D, T5i and 18-135mm, 55-250mm and 70-300mm lenses. Looks like I'll be nicely covered.

Glad I could help. I want to go on this cruise again, it was truly amazing! Hopefully in the next few years we will get the time to go.

You look to be well covered for camera gear, you should get some great photos.

• 7 months later...
Trophy - didn't you go to the Time Bandit Store right on the Spit? We didn't bother going to the one in town. I spoke to Jonathon and Andy's mom who was working in the store on the Spit. She said she isn't often in the store in town because they seem to get more business on the Spit.

I take it the Time Bandit wasn't in port when you were there? We saw her on our 2010 sailing on the Amsterdam - up close and personal in the large boat harbor. I got my picture taken with crewmember Eddie in front of the boat, which was such a thrill for this Deadliest Catch fan:D!!!

Ahhh, not being a TV watcher, I was curious about "Time Bandit" & why so many were interested in it... Now I know.:o