Travel Protection and Prepaid Gratuity

Is it really worth it? Last time i didnt get travel protection, but i did pay gratuity in advance, but yet i still ended up tipping people and forking out more money. i mean sometimes the stewards and dinner service personnel just seem so nice and humble i feel like i HAVE to tip them again. but isnt a tip automatically charged to my sign and sail card too?? and what would travel protection cover? the only thing i would want it for is to get all my money back in a full refund in the event that i wouldnt be able to go, like if one of my kids needed me or i ended up having to work a rotated shift. thanks!

If you pre-pay your tips you are not obligated to pay more, so just do so only if you want to.

As far as trip insurance, different people have different opinions about that. For me personally I never take a trip without trip insurance and honestly being able to get my money back if I had to cancel is way down on the list of why I get it.

I have seen healthy people fall and break bones or become ill. On more than one cruise I have seen people that had to be taken off the ship because of an illness or injury. I have not witnessed this, but have read on these boards about people that had to be airlifted. All of this (especially the air-lift) costs a lot of money.

Do you have enough money to cover a $30,000 + airlift to a hospital? Most insurance companies will not cover you outside of the US......a few do......but most do not.

Also having a sick or elderly person at home that I might have to fly home for is another reason.

These are the reasons I buy trip insurance. I don't have deep enough pockets to cover these kind of expenses on my own and with cost of insurance being very reasonable it's something I have no problem buying.

Carnival's insurance is more than most others. I don't need air coverage and I can do without luggage so this time I just got Medical with evacuation. My job offers no insurance so if I were to get hurt...

The other day I was laughing with my son. I complained I'm too old to get on a ladder and replace lightbulbs in the patio fans...but I'm ziplining in Belize!!!

I wouldn't dream of traveling without travel insurance (btw, you don't have to buy through Carnival, you will probably get a lower rate for better coverage somewhere else). I wouldn't dream of being without auto, home or health insurance either, because you just never know what might happen but I do know, I can't afford a big bill if it does. But, if you can afford to take the loss of the cruise should you have to cancel and can afford any medical bills, lost luggage, etc, then for you, insurance might be an option. Guess it really just depends on your comfort level.

As for tips, if you pre-pay, you are done. They only charge your S&S card if you haven't already pre-paid. And you are under NO obligation to give anything above what you've already paid. Technically speaking, tips are optional anyway, you're under to no obligation to pay them at all. But, that's another thread altogether lol The only additional tips you'll pay onboard are any drinks you order from the bar, they will add a 15% gratuity to the cost of the drink. And, of course, if you receive exceptional service (whatever your definition of that is), you could tip extra. But, again, optional.

i prepay my tips ,, it is easier to know that it is paid for before holidays, only tip extra is someone goes beyond the call of duty...

For insurance... I am Canadian and not sure where you are from but there is no way i would take a chance going anywhere outside of my provience without travelling insurance... If something happened to us in the USA it could bankrupt us, or in any other country.. In some countries I would want to get out of thier hospital ASAP and without travel insurance that would not happen. Some hospitals out of country are really scarey..

I have an insurance policy (rider) on my house insurance and that is more than enought to cover me anytime i step out of my provience or country.

We purchase the insurance. For one thing, we book well in advance and who knows what could happen to us prior to the cruise? My main concern is getting to the ship on time. Airlines have screwed us on almost every trip in the past couple of years. But I've read about people falling, etc. and the astronomical medical bills on a ship for very little actual medical service. Also covers you if you see doctors in ports, I believe. But you could check on the Carnival site for sure to see what all is covered. I'm a rather be safe than sorry type, but it's up to you.

Yes - travel insurance is WELL worth it!

Its not just to get your money back in case you can't go, (you need to make sure your coverage will kick in for the reason's you stated)

But it is medical coverage. Coverage in case of lost or delayed luggage. Coverage for room and board in case bad weather postpones or cancels the cruise. As GTO posted - do you have $30k-$50k for medevac???

It cost us $76 thru CSA to get covered for our next cruise in September - small amount of money well spent for piece of mind. We NEVER cruise without insurance.....

yes when i called carnival to talk to them about the trip protection i was very confused about what it would cover. and i looked online and it still confused me ... anyways, as from what the carnival rep said i was under the impression it just covered if you had to cancel your trip for a refund and lost luggage. he said something about transfer up to 75% of total trip to another cruise or a full refund. heck im still confused! but it is wonderful if it covers sickness and things of that nature.

For trip insurance, I would never buy from the cruise line, no matter what cruise line it is. I have not found their insurance policies to be as comprehensive or as competitively priced as others. Two good sources for finding and comparing travel insurance policies are InsureMyTrip and SquareMouth. I have used InsureMyTrip on many occasions and they have been excellent in answering any questions I have had about individual policies.

Is it really worth it? Last time i didnt get travel protection, but i did pay gratuity in advance, but yet i still ended up tipping people and forking out more money. i mean sometimes the stewards and dinner service personnel just seem so nice and humble i feel like i HAVE to tip them again. but isnt a tip automatically charged to my sign and sail card too?? and what would travel protection cover? the only thing i would want it for is to get all my money back in a full refund in the event that i wouldnt be able to go, like if one of my kids needed me or i ended up having to work a rotated shift. thanks!

The answer about whether to buy travel insurance is pretty simple...

can you afford to lose the entire amount of your cruise and airfare if for some reason you can not go.

Do you have medical insurance that will cover any issues (including medical evacuations) should there be an accident or illness onboard?

Travel insurance is like everything in life....

if you can not afford to lose it, insure it or don't buy it.

BUT make sure you purchase the CORRECT travel insurance. Not all insurance companies cancellation for any reason....

As for the tipping, once you have prepaid your tips, you are not required to tip the wait staff any additional money.

The drink staff and bartenders gets their tips as you purchase the drinks.

obivously im not capable of paying an excess amount of money in the event of an emergency... that wasnt even in question. i am glad to know there is protection out their for those unfortunate things. i just wanted to know what CARNIVAL will cover because i was very confused by the carnival rep. my question about getting a refund as one of my biggest concerns is because working as a nightshift nurse in the emergency room is difficult when my rotation could be switched last minute and my duty is obivously to my family and my work. BUT! of course i am concerned about being in another country and falling ill or something happening. and it would be an expense i couldnt tolerate to fall onto my family. SO thank you for some great travellers ins. tips and i will most deff. be seeking insurance before my husband and i go! i did not know that you could get insurance from a 3rd party company without going through carnival. i have much to research

We were scheduled to leave on a 7 night cruise on July 8, 2012. I was admitted to the hospital with an unexpected illness on July 1 and was there until July 5. I, unfortunately, had to cancel my cruise. My insurance was purchased through carnival and they have been so very helpful in the claim process. We are getting all of our money refunded so are able to, hopefully, book another cruise in the future. I totally recommend it!

obivously im not capable of paying an excess amount of money in the event of an emergency... that wasnt even in question. i am glad to know there is protection out their for those unfortunate things. i just wanted to know what CARNIVAL will cover because i was very confused by the carnival rep. my question about getting a refund as one of my biggest concerns is because working as a nightshift nurse in the emergency room is difficult when my rotation could be switched last minute and my duty is obivously to my family and my work. BUT! of course i am concerned about being in another country and falling ill or something happening. and it would be an expense i couldnt tolerate to fall onto my family. SO thank you for some great travellers ins. tips and i will most deff. be seeking insurance before my husband and i go! i did not know that you could get insurance from a 3rd party company without going through carnival. i have much to research

There is a lot to learn, thankfully, there are these boards!

OK when my dad was taken off the ship in Spain he had to pull out his visa card every morning or be wheeled to the curb. He had travel insurance that reimbursed him on return for whatever his regular insurance did not cover.

So question is if you were medivac to a hospital to a foreign port would this usually be the case? You pay up front? Don't have that kind of credit limit! Or would do you call that 800 emergency line and travel insurance takes the responsibility?

everyone uses the "can you afford to be mediva-ed" off the ship as a reason to get trip insurance. We are currently planning on cruising without insurance and I don't see a need for it. What I'd like to know is how often that really happens. The way I'm looking at it is that if you are in a life threatening emergency, you will prob die before a medi-vac could get to you, and if it's not a life threatening emergency, you probably could just take a regular flight back to the US. The lowest price I could find for travel insurance for our $3,000 trip was $120-$150....I find $150 very very excessive for a week's worth of insurance. If you look at health, auto, or home insurance, it doesn't come anywhere closer, and you are much more likely to use any of those. I'm not worried about missing the trip, my boss is good and won't cancel my vacation time (plus I"m lucky enough to be union, so I'd have some union protection in that instance), I checked and my health insurance works outside the country the same way it works inside the country... so the only reason I could forsee using it would be if we had to return to the US for medical care. And I just don't see the likelihood of needing and emergency transport as opposed to a regular plane flight. I get that if you live in Canada or your insurance doesn't work outside the US, it would be a necessary product, but I really think it is more of a case by case basis than people are making it out to be.

Probably more info than you wanted:

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides IMO low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES include cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff, a 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT and coverage for Early Saver Cancellation penalties . If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment and haven’t yet made a claim, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. The Policy now covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer higher coverages and are less expensive, particularly if you're younger. They generally include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance , then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process by avoiding “coordination of benefits” with your own Health Policy.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium. It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. Third Party Policies offering the Cancel for Any Reason option require that you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of your cruise deposit. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff, if you’re concerned with possible school year extensions, if you’re a Policeman or firefighter….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured selected policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension and a Network of Providers in most locations.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

If traveling with a Travel Companion, a Policy with “Single Supplement” coverage will cover your increased fare if your cabinmate cancels.

ken

Probably more info than you wanted:

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides IMO low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES include cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff, a 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT and coverage for Early Saver Cancellation penalties . If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment and haven’t yet made a claim, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. The Policy now covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer higher coverages and are less expensive, particularly if you're younger. They generally include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance , then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process by avoiding “coordination of benefits” with your own Health Policy.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium. It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. Third Party Policies offering the Cancel for Any Reason option require that you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of your cruise deposit. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff, if you’re concerned with possible school year extensions, if you’re a Policeman or firefighter….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured selected policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension and a Network of Providers in most locations.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

If traveling with a Travel Companion, a Policy with “Single Supplement” coverage will cover your increased fare if your cabinmate cancels.

ken

great advice but who pays while I am sitting on the curb to be admitted? Not reimbursed but pays that day or arranges for it. In the case of Spain it was credit card or curb. We speaks no English....

great advice but who pays while I am sitting on the curb to be admitted? Not reimbursed but pays that day or arranges for it. In the case of Spain it was credit card or curb. We speaks no English....

BCBS's Out of Country coverage has a Hospital Provider Network that they claim will accept BCBS for admission/treatment (don't know about Spain specifically). A number of other Policies (I believe TravelEx and TravelInsured) include a (generally $5000) Hospital Guarantee if required to be admitted, and will provide the Hospital with a Credit Card to charge to. The Cruiseline Berkely Policy (the last time I checked) included a $1000 Hospital Advance. This of course presumes the Hospital will accept. After that it's call the Credit Card Company for a temporary ceiling increase and/or wire cash from the relatives back home. ken

We use Travel Guard insurance. Have always been happy with them.

We also use Travel Guard insurance. Reason for this is, my aunt and uncle were on a cruise when my uncle had a heart attack. He had to be airlifted to a hospital and was kept for several days. My poor aunt had to go with him without any belongings other her purse. It cost them BIG BUCKS and hospitals and doctors want their money NOW not later. For me, the piece of mind is well worth it. Have a great time on your cruise!:)

in most forgien countries you will not be allowed to leave that country until the bill is paid in full and everyone is satified.. I have seen one couple turned back from customs until they paid the bill....

I have seen some horrible accidents with people on scooters who have never driven them, thinking i can do this and do it without a helmet.. :rolleyes:

Car accidents with injuries where the vacationer was not at fault but the laws of those countries will not let you leave until the bill paid in full including the other vechicle.

Different laws different countries..

and some very very scarey hospitals ..:eek:

everyone uses the "can you afford to be mediva-ed" off the ship as a reason to get trip insurance. We are currently planning on cruising without insurance and I don't see a need for it. What I'd like to know is how often that really happens. The way I'm looking at it is that if you are in a life threatening emergency, you will prob die before a medi-vac could get to you, and if it's not a life threatening emergency, you probably could just take a regular flight back to the US. The lowest price I could find for travel insurance for our $3,000 trip was $120-$150....I find $150 very very excessive for a week's worth of insurance. If you look at health, auto, or home insurance, it doesn't come anywhere closer, and you are much more likely to use any of those. I'm not worried about missing the trip, my boss is good and won't cancel my vacation time (plus I"m lucky enough to be union, so I'd have some union protection in that instance), I checked and my health insurance works outside the country the same way it works inside the country... so the only reason I could forsee using it would be if we had to return to the US for medical care. And I just don't see the likelihood of needing and emergency transport as opposed to a regular plane flight. I get that if you live in Canada or your insurance doesn't work outside the US, it would be a necessary product, but I really think it is more of a case by case basis than people are making it out to be.

So.....if there is a weather related incident, you are ok with paying for hotel and food or additional air travel costs? If your luggage is lost or delayed, you are ok with paying for replacement costs? $150 is a very small amount to make sure you are able to enjoy your $3000 vacation

I have auto and homeowner's insurance - don't plan to need it but its there "just in case", never mind that its required.

You just never know but that is your decision and everyone has to decide for themselves. I think the fact that the overwhelming majority have it speaks for itself..... :p

Archived