Overpriced rccl excursions

This was the response I received from RCCL after about 2 weeks concerning a private cab for 4 hours in Cozumel, which you can do on your own for probably $100..Who are they trying to fool here. Do they think we are that stupid, and we would book this tour ?

Please be advised that the correct price for Cozumel - Private Car With Driver/Guide - Half Day CZP1 is 375.00 USD (Tour price is per vehicle, not per person). Kindly note that this is a private car where you will be able to choose an itinerary geared toward your own personal interests, convenience, and flexibility.

This tour includes an English-speaking guide/driver for 4 hours duration.

Please note that all our tour programs are coordinated with reputable tour operators, equipment and include a comprehensive overview of the most popular site of interest to guests.

Kindly note that we cannot offer any alternatives from the established excursion program as we cannot validate costs or account for conditions that may not be suitable or safe for our guest.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank You and Enjoy Your Cruise

Some guests prefer to book ship sponsered tours so that if there is an issue and they are going to get back late from the excursion chances are the ship will wait because they sponsered the tour.

Some pax feel the extra money is worth a bit more security.

To each his own.

This was the response I received from RCCL after about 2 weeks concerning a private cab for 4 hours in Cozumel, which you can do on your own for probably $100..Who are they trying to fool here. Do they think we are that stupid, and we would book this tour ?

Please be advised that the correct price for Cozumel - Private Car With Driver/Guide - Half Day CZP1 is 375.00 USD (Tour price is per vehicle, not per person). Kindly note that this is a private car where you will be able to choose an itinerary geared toward your own personal interests, convenience, and flexibility.

Please note that all our tour programs are coordinated with reputable tour operators, equipment and include a comprehensive overview of the most popular site of interest to guests.

Kindly note that we cannot offer any alternatives from the established excursion program as we cannot validate costs or account for conditions that may not be suitable or safe for our guest.

Why did you contact RCI? Aren't the tour prices on the website?

I don't mean to come off as sarcastic or rude, but that is to be expected. They are out to make a profit like any other business is. I worked in a grocery store in college. Our management marked up products between 25% and 75% of their cost to bring in the store. Why? To make a pay employees, utilities, etc and have a good bit left over for the owners to take how a bunch. It happens.

Some guests prefer to book ship sponsered tours so that if there is an issue and they are going to get back late from the excursion chances are the ship will wait because they sponsered the tour.

To each his own.

Agree 100%

Sorry, OP, but what is your point? You don't have the money or inclination to book this through RCI? So you are pissed off at the world or depressed or what? Get over it!

Had you posted "I found a cheaper alternative to RCI's tour and will let you now how it goes," I would be interested.

I am not here to upset anyone but this just hit a nerve. And I ain't no cheerleader.

OK Here is the alternative..

Sorry, OP, but what is your point? You don't have the money or inclination to book this through RCI? So you are pissed off at the world or depressed or what? Get over it!

Had you posted "I found a cheaper alternative to RCI's tour and will let you now how it goes," I would be interested.

I am not here to upset anyone but this just hit a nerve. And I ain't no cheerleader.

http://www.toursplaza.com/categorias/info/hiring_a_driver

So if you want to pay at least 3 times what you can do it for otherwise, go ahead...

To each his own.

Apparently they do think that people will book that tour or they wouldn't offer it or charge that much for it. Since they disclose what it entails and they list the price, I don't see how you claim they are trying to fool anyone. If people don't book the tour they will eventually lower the price or eliminate the tour, but if there are enough people that you apparently would characterize as "stupid" who feel that such a tour is worth the cost, they will continue to offer it. You are not being forced to book any tour that doesn't meet your requirements so I'm not sure why you are so upset. It is totally your choice as to whether or not to book any ship's tour or replicate one on your own. if you see some of your fellow passengers taking this particular tour, I am sure that they would appreciate hearing your opinion of their intelligence first hand.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the "alternative". But many cruisers are only comfortable with ship sponsored tours. Thus, the RCI private car excursion. RCI is offering these in a number of ports. Overpriced? I'm sure they are not to those who chose to purchase them.

So if you want to pay at least 3 times what you can do it for otherwise, go ahead...

No one is disagreeing with you that they are overpriced. They are. We are just wondering why you are surprised by it. All companies everywhere mark up their goods. If you choose to buy them, then you know what you are getting yourself into. If you choose not to, then choose not to.

Apparently they do think that people will book that tour or they wouldn't offer it or charge that much for it. Since they disclose what it entails and they list the price, I don't see how you claim they are trying to fool anyone. If people don't book the tour they will eventually lower the price or eliminate the tour, but if there are enough people that you apparently would characterize as "stupid" who feel that such a tour is worth the cost, they will continue to offer it. You are not being forced to book any tour that doesn't meet your requirements so I'm not sure why you are so upset. It is totally your choice as to whether or not to book any ship's tour or replicate one on your own. if you see some of your fellow passengers taking this particular tour, I am sure that they would appreciate hearing your opinion of their intelligence first hand.:rolleyes:

Good point. Plus, I am not sure why OP would expect them to explain their pricing strategy. It is what it is - either it is accepted and purchased or not.

Could you imagine the flood of requests they would get if they offered the OP a discount, and they came on the board to say "see what I got".

As the above poster mentions, if the excursion meets their sales volume goals, they will continue to offer it. If not, they will either withdraw it, or lower the price to what the market will handle.

Who are they trying to fool here. Do they think we are that stupid, and we would book this tour ?

I simply wanted to know why the tour was so overpriced.

Come again? Say What? You think we-uns be stupid, too?

if you see some of your fellow passengers taking this particular tour, I am sure that they would appreciate hearing your opinion of their intelligence first hand.:rolleyes:

Funny!!

The alternative looks good. I hope you do it and let us know.

This was the response I received from RCCL after about 2 weeks concerning a private cab

Anyone that takes the time and effort to check out the Cozumel board, and numerous reviews (mine included) would know everything there is to know about Cozumel and the private driver excursion.

You and everyone would be much better if you would have relied on those of us that have booked it privately, looked at the reviews (which included many pictures) than to have relied on RCI for such info.

We booked it privately, cost was total $95 for 3 hours. And it was one of the best excursions we ever took.

BTW, we stretched it out to about 4 hours and I think that was an additional $25 or $50.

If you (or anyone) wants to see all about it, check out the Cozumel board, or check out my Oasis review, link is in my signature.

The answer is very simple. If you think the excursion is overpriced then book it on your own. I don"t see the big deal. Most that have been cruising for a while know that in most cases booking a shore excursion through a private company is less expensive. Book the one that works for you.

Yes... RCI COUNTS on uninformed cruisers...they make a TON of money off of their excursions and the inflated prices! If you know nothing about where you're going, you'll be willing to pay the price! And, (here's the thing), many folks don't know that you don't even have to get off the ship! Lots of folks think you HAVE to book an excursion (thru the ship) at every port......

It's just like anything else...life in general....if you don't have a clue, you will spend all your money...that's a fact, jack!

Research! A bit of time spent finding out a bit about what's going on...whether on your cruise or in life in general, will save you a bundle!

I always book my own excursions because the ships are always overpriced and crowded.

Ditto, me to. I never use ship excursions, got burned badly on a "fun" ship, learned my lesson, do my research and book my exursions. Saves money and normally have more flexability.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we were doing an excursion in Mexico, I would certainly feel a lot safer doing one that is offered by the ship.

I agree. We used to try and shop for price but after some really bizarre and hair raising experiences, we now just book through the ship.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if we were doing an excursion in Mexico, I would certainly feel a lot safer doing one that is offered by the ship.

Cozumel is kind of unique.

When we were there, port time was about 10 hours. Very easy to drive anywhere on the entire island.

Matter of fact, you get to the East side, nice road, totally deserted, beaches the same, with a couple of nice bars/restaurants.

Absolutely loved Cozumel, no need to book anything through the cruise line there. Get the private driver, do your research, and tell him what it is you would like to do.

When we got into our cab, Alberto got out a map, made suggestions of things to do ..... Mayan ruins, the Tequila factory, etc ...... we said thanx but no thanx ..... just take us to the East coast, some bars, restaurants, beaches ...... and he knew exactly what we wanted ...... and did he deliver!

Archived