Alaska Cheet Sheet !

booth22

Booth22 - kudos for the "cheat sheet" ! Our thanks to you and to your "wonderful" wife :) for spending the time & effort in sharing your wealth of info. We are contemplating on doing an Alaskan cruise some time in late/early Aug. or Sept. '06 and I was just doing a preliminary research until I found your post. I will definitely have fun checking out the numerous websites you've provided. Your Alaskan pics are awesome !!:D

Thank you again for your generous help.

• 1 month later...

:D just another BIG thankyou for all of your information. We will be on the 5/28/06 Sun Princess and we plan to do everything "off ship". Your tips really help alot.

Thanks again!

Debbie

lots of buy one get one coupons for t-shirts, ulu knives, etc. There's also freebies w/ purchase coupons, the usual touristy fare. Some of the coupons are pretty good for trinkets for folks back home, hats, shirts, pendants, candles, etc. etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Deb, according to my wonderful wife who did all this research she found out they give coupon books out in seattle and vancouver at the pier/ near the ship itself. We aren't sure about San Fran- but were going to keep an eye out. Let us know if you find them/ they give them out for the regal sailing as well. booth

We've never found the coupon books available on our cruises out of Seattle, but you can order them for about $5. Besides coupons, there is information about each port and a map. "Destination Alaska! Your Visitor's Guide to the Inside Passage"

http://www.destinationalaska.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Booth thank you so much for the useful information. I looked at your pictures and was wondering what type of equipment you use? Lens, etc. I have been trying to decide what to bring without overloading... I am very new to photography with a digital Canon Rebel XT. Any adivice would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing fancy as far as the camera... I used a Minolta Dimage Z3 for the trip and just played around with manual setting most of the time. No extra lenses, filters, etc. It's only 4 megapixels, but it did the job for my wife's scrapbooking. Take a lot of pictures, with different exposures of the same scene if possible. It's beautiful up there which makes for some amazing scenes/pictures. I shot 2600+ in ten days and got some great shots, and also got some shots which aren't much to look at. God bless digital photography!

I've heard they even give out those coupon books in tiny Whittier, but they are not allowed to approach you. You must look for them. Usually near the restrooms. I hope I remember to find them.

Thanks for the awesome list! I visited the Mount Roberts Tramway site. It moved up on my list. You can add http://www.harvandmarvs.com. in Juneau for whale watching.

• 1 month later...

Archived