Carnival Legend Thoughts

We sailed the Legend in 2009. It was a 7-day cruise and had 4 ports--Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. These were back-to-back-to-back-to-back. That was the main disadvantage. I loved the ports but it seemed like everyone went to bed early because they had to get up early the next day to be in port. Therefore as far as the night life goes, well...it didn't. I called it the sleepy ship. Maybe your experience will be different. I know that I will NEVER take another 7-day cruise that stops at 4 ports. I think 3 is enough.

We sailed the Legend in 2009. It was a 7-day cruise and had 4 ports--Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. These were back-to-back-to-back-to-back. That was the main disadvantage. I loved the ports but it seemed like everyone went to bed early because they had to get up early the next day to be in port. Therefore as far as the night life goes, well...it didn't. I called it the sleepy ship. Maybe your experience will be different. I know that I will NEVER take another 7-day cruise that stops at 4 ports. I think 3 is enough.

Same line up as my upcoming cruise. Actually I did the Valor a couple years ago with the same stops, so that doesn't bother me. I love all of the stops. I actually did a 7 day cruise with 5 stops a couple years ago. That was a little much. I was just curious on the ship. I have been on The Miracle and The Pride which are sister ships of The Legend. I love the lay outs of this class!

Sailed on the Legend last September...

Best cruise and ship we have been on in ten cruises on Carnival. (12 for DW)

The layout and size of the Spirit class ships (Legend) is by far the best of the Carnival ships. (Haven't been on Dream class yet. Going in December)

Enjoy.

Great choice

Bill

Don't miss sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge! It is about 6:30 pm and you will not believe that the ship is going to fit under the bridge!

We will be sailing our 4th time on the Legend the week before you. Just one thing I like about Legend is that they have a mini specialty coffee station in the Lido Buffet. So if you need some extra punch in your coffee you can get it right there at breakfast...not just on Deck 5 or where ever the other main specialty coffee and cake station is.

Legend never felt as crowded as other ships to me. And she has a pool (not just a hot tub) in her Serenity (Adult Only) area.

PSU_paintballer - I'd have PM'ed you, but I probably don't have enough posts even though I've been on the board a long time. However, my questions might go along with what the OP wanted to know...

I'm considering a Carnival Cruise. I live in Central Florida, so either Tampa or Port Canaveral are about the same distance really. So my choices are either the Dream, or the Legend. Both have the same itineraries as far as I can tell.

I've sailed three times before - all DCL. I'm torn as new ships are nice, but often much larger and more crowded. I'd go in off season, either January or February.

How are the ports? I'm familiar with Port Canaveral, but how is it to sail out of Tampa as far as parking, ease of getting the terminal, etc. I might consider going the day before. Am familiar with PC hotel options, but not Tampa.

I'm leaning towards the Legend as I liked DCL's smaller ship. The Dream and the Fantasy were beautiful but oh the crowds! I'd be going solo if that is any consideration to the equation.

PSU_paintballer - I'd have PM'ed you, but I probably don't have enough posts even though I've been on the board a long time. However, my questions might go along with what the OP wanted to know...

I'm considering a Carnival Cruise. I live in Central Florida, so either Tampa or Port Canaveral are about the same distance really. So my choices are either the Dream, or the Legend. Both have the same itineraries as far as I can tell.

I've sailed three times before - all DCL. I'm torn as new ships are nice, but often much larger and more crowded. I'd go in off season, either January or February.

How are the ports? I'm familiar with Port Canaveral, but how is it to sail out of Tampa as far as parking, ease of getting the terminal, etc. I might consider going the day before. Am familiar with PC hotel options, but not Tampa.

I'm leaning towards the Legend as I liked DCL's smaller ship. The Dream and the Fantasy were beautiful but oh the crowds! I'd be going solo if that is any consideration to the equation.

Unfortunately, there's no PM feature on here.

I've always taken a shuttle from Tampa. We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. It's about 15 minutes from the port, but is only about $100 and they shuttle you both ways (three time options for your trip TO the port). Our trips through Tampa's port were MUCH smoother than our one trip to PC. However, one trip isn't enough to base anything off of, so I can't speak for PC.

The crowds aren't bad at all to me on Legend.

We just got off the legend last week. We LOVED it! It never felt crowded. There was plenty to do. The night life seemed a bit thin on the nights before we headed into port. Four ports did feel like a lot, but there were things we loved at each port. The Legend is a good choice. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hands down the best ship we've done! 3 times out and back over the past 4 years and number 4 coming up this January. We are Legend addicts! We experience Groundhog day and wake up every January on this ship-- and we love it.

The ports visited are great, plenty to do. Its not a rowdy ship (in January when we typically go).

Carnival isn't the same Carnival it was back in the 90's or early part of the past decade. But this ship and its port line up fits the bill for us.

Favorite Carnival ship. Small and quiet ship. We were on it for two years in a row for Christmas and then a New Years cruise. Last one we booked we had a balcony cabin that was tucked behind the elevators, can't remember the category or cabin number. It was the best Carnival cabin I have ever stayed in. It was more like a suite than a regular room. Balcony was large, granite tops, extra floor space. Recommend this room if you like to sit on the balcony. It was quiet too, no elevator noise. Food was great then. Went on the Paradise in Feb. with girlfriends for a 5 day. This was after they changed the menus to the "comfort food" choices. None of us were a real big fan of the change, found something to eat every night but missed the old menu choices. Enjoy your cruise, it's a great ship.

We had the sme dilemma and decided on the Legend pretty much because it seemed better reviewed.

We loved the ports of call. I was very excited to cruise on Legend with all the good reviews. I was disappointed, service was not up to par. That said, you may get lucky and get good staff and have a very different experience. It really does make all the difference. Sad I don't have a real choice out of Tampa next summer.

Legend is our favorite ship so far. We were on the Dream last December and just didn't like it as much. In fact, I think we like the Destiny better.

The ONLY thing we really loved about the Dream that would make us book that ship again was the Cloud 9 Spa. I found the ship to be the most crowded of the ships we have been on.....and with only two pools, it just didn't cut it.

Legend has 3 pools...the aft pool is Adults ONLY with Serenity upgrades. The layout is MUCH simpler.

DW and I sailed in Jan. and absolutely loved it. We had sailed the Miracle a few years ago and loved the deck space to walk. The deck above the Lido you can make a complete circuit of the ship and the Promenade outside deck covers all 3 sides except the front of the ship. So you can walk up top or close to the water without getting interrupted by different deck levels. Sailing under the bridge is incredible, and it occured for us almost exactly 2 hours after we started sailing. You will DUCK! Love the low number of passengers, never felt crowded. Food in MDR (anytime dining) was not up to par. Regularly not hot. Buffet was OK. Shows were just OK. Loved the ports, as we are active. 4 ports vs. 3 ports is a plus for us on a 7 day cruise. Staff was happy. Can't wait to go on the Legend again or any other Spirit class ship.

We sailed on the Legend July 1- 8th this summer. We had a great time. I have no complaints of the food. We had 6pm dining time, and did eat one night in the Steakhouse-well worth the money, it was amazing!

Everyone we had contact with was friendly and helpful. The only thing was that we never had our room steward come and introduce himself, but the room was always clean.We had room service, and food was delivered quickly and was delish, we used the self service laundry, and saw the show and the entertainment in the piano bar.

We had an aft extended balcony on main deck-4232. The cabin was quiet and the balcony was clean and enjoyable. I would love to sail on her again! I even won my first ship on a stick!

Hello, we are on the same cruise, join our roll call, we have some adventures planned.:) And most everyone who is on that roll call has sailed her before. Plenty of space if you want to "be alone" and plenty of stuff to do if you a want involvement. Oh, btw, the roll call is about 68 pages, start around page 45, and catch up.:)

There was pretty good review on here a couple of days ago. Something about "Urn" believable. That was my only complaint- the urns are everywhere. But decor is a minor issue for me. Sunshine skyway bridge is awesome as others said. Food was good but wonderful- nothing spectacular or unedible either. We only did a couple of shows. Loved the comedy act they had at the time. Legend has the glass stairway which is pretty cool too. The ports for this cruise were wonderful too. Hope you enjoy the Legend, I wouldn't mind sailing her again. I don't know if captains have changed, but the one we had was quite entertaining.

Legend is our favorite ship so far, and as you have discovered she has a LOT of fans here on CC.

We were on her 4/11/2011 sailing, our second Legend cruise (she's the only ship we have repeated on so far).

I can't say enough good things. Perfect size, plenty of everything, never felt crowded, great crew......I could go on.....

We wondered if our first Legend cruise had been a fluke, it was just so good.....so we tested that theory......and it was every bit as good the second time.

Enjoy your cruise!!

My wife and I just got off the Legend on this past Sunday (July 22). It was our first cruise and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The ship did not seem crowded or overly rowdy.

I had heard a lot of horror stories about cold food in the MDR, but our food was always hot. We did eat in the Golden Fleece steak house on the first and last nights and really loved that.

Like other posts above, 4 ports in 4 days does not make for a very late night life (at least for us). I guess you could always pass on any excursions and sleep in, get up late and just shop near the docks.

I am also willing to answer any questions you may have since it is all still fresh in my mind.

The only downside is that the week went much too fast....wish I was back on the Serenity Deck with a drink in my hand.....(sigh)...

We sailed on the Legend two years ago and had a fabulous time. The ship was great and easy to get around.

As other post mentioned, going under the bridge in Florida was amazing. Probably one of my favorite moments.

The ports were perfect for us with great adventures on every island. We loved Roatan the most! Yes, we were tired too! I remember how tired we were after that trip so I can only imagine how we will feel getting off the Victory in October--5 ports!

Enjoy the Legend!

We've done the Legend twice (2010 & 2011) and both were good trips for us. The pools are a little small, but are nice and it didn't seem to deter our son and nephew from jumping in and swimming everyday! It's a good route to do. We did the western route on the Dream this past April and although we like the Dream, and cruising out of Port Canaveral, we did not like Costa Maya. We would much rather go back to Grand Cayman instead.

I was wondering why the Legend was not going to be sailing her normal route out of Tampa so thanks to the above poster the mystery is now solved!! However, that leaves those wanting this itinerary with much less options for next spring/summer if Carnival isn't going to replace the Legend with another ship for this timeframe????

Archived