NYC Hotels with Full Refund Cancellation Policy?

russ331

I'm looking to book a hotel for September 7, prior to sailing on Norwegian Gem from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on September 8.

I want a hotel room that I can cancel at the last minute, in case I get lucky with a better hotel through Priceline between now & September 7.

The hotel should be near JFK or Manhattan or between the two.

I would appreciate the names of some hotel chains or individual hotels that operate a last minute full refund cancellation policy. Thanks.

I'm looking to book a hotel for September 7, prior to sailing on Norwegian Gem from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on September 8.

I want a hotel room that I can cancel at the last minute, in case I get lucky with a better hotel through Priceline between now & September 7.

I would appreciate the names of some hotel chains or individual hotels that operate a last minute full refund cancellation policy. Thanks.

Most every hotel will have a 24 or 48 hour cancellation policy.

We are on the same cruise and we will also be trying priceline the week before. We used lastminutetravel.com to book our backup hotel. They have a 72 hour cancellation policy. We were very lucky to get the Hotel Mela for $199/night, but we booked that about 6 months ago. It's in a perfect location 1/2 block from Time Square. The current rate for the Hotel Mela on LMT is $291. I don't think we will be able to do better on priceline, but we will try anyway.

On LMT, they don't tell you the name of the hotel until you pay for it. But there is a loophole. If you add a fake reservation for a rental car before you pay, it will show you the name of the hotel. But regardless, with LMT, you can always cancel your reservation and get a full refund.

I see that the New Yorker hotel is available for $239/night direct on the hotels website. They also have it on LMT for $269, so in this case it is cheaper direct with the hotel. The hotel get decent reviews, and it seems to be in a good area, not too far from Time Square. You may not be able to do much better for a backup hotel.

If your flight is getting in early, you want to stay in Manhatten, preferably by Time Square so you can see the sites and maybe see a show. If your flight gets in late, and you just need a bed for the night, then the JFK area should be much cheaper.

There are hundreds of hotels in NY City...it would be impossible for anyone to keep track of their cancellation policies...which by the way can even differ for an individual hotel based on the room rate you've booked, or sometimes the time of year (holidays...conventions in the city, etc).

I'd suggest you find a hotel that meets your price and location requirements and then check the hotel's cancellation policy, which should be easy to find on its website.

By the way...do not book a hotel near JFK...most are used as temporary housing for people displaced from their homes, and staying at one may be less than a satisfactory experience.

You might want to check out the Holiday Inn on W. 57th Street. It is close to the pier and Holiday Inn's usually have good policies. Make sure you book under the cancellation allowed rate, and always read the fine print.

Check out The Jewel hotel right across from Rockefeller Center. They had a good return policy and it was a great hotel, close to the pier and close to everything else it seemed. I'd wouldn't even look at anything else when I go back, I liked it that much!

If you use the trick I detail in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34238037&postcount=6, you can get the Algonquin Hotel for $236.58. This is where we stayed before our Gem cruise last year :). This rate is fully cancellable up until 1 day before arrival (you need to reserve the 'Best Available' rate on Marriott's website for it to work).

Twickenham,

That is a great deal especially since Sept 7 is a very difficult and expensive date. I think the OP should jump on this. I doubt if you can do better on priceline. A really nice hotel in the heart of Time Square. And the going rate for that hotel on Sept 7 is $424

I would consider doing this too, but since we are staying for 3 nights Sept 5-8, our rate would be a little higher, about $255/night after using your price guarantee trick (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Twickenham,

That is a great deal especially since Sept 7 is a very difficult and expensive date. I think the OP should jump on this. I doubt if you can do better on priceline. A really nice hotel in the heart of Time Square. And the going rate for that hotel on Sept 7 is $424

I would consider doing this too, but since we are staying for 3 nights Sept 5-8, our rate would be a little higher, about $255/night after using your price guarantee trick (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah, your problem is the 5th is quite a bit higher. Remember, though, that while I'm using this for the Algonquin, this is good for any Marriott-brand hotel. And while AA.com has yielded me by far the most lower rates, I've also gotten them from other booking sites. It's a matter of doing a bit of looking, and seeing if you can get a combination that works for your needs.

Thanks very much for all this great information.

A friend who lives in the USA (PA) is now seeking a deal on my behalf so between us, with the above advice, we will hopefully secure a reasonable deal. Thanks again.

Archived