Alaska Pricing on a Balcony, is this Good Or Bad?

Luv2Cruise32

Hubby has been wanting to do Alaska. I asked my TA and she said June is the best month to go. So tonight since I seen that CCL has 50% deposits I thought I would "mock book" to see how much it was. For a cruise to Alaska, next june, balcony room, aft...it was 3k for us both.

Umm sorry hubby but for 3k I will go to Europe before I go to Alaska! What do you all think, is this a normal price for Alaska? I wonder how many price drops would happen.

We just booked a balcony for August 2013. I have done a lot of pricing and checking for over a year watching the pricing to see what the best option was. You are in the correct price range basically. Alaska is not known for price drops, the earlier you book is the cheapest price you will get. Now, I found August to be the cheapest month to Sail, specifically the last of the month.

Good luck in your search.

Ty for your reply. I also had asked my TA about aug or sept as that is normally when we like to cruise. She said that anything after July the wildlife is hibernating and so it is harder to get to see any wildlife if we were wanting to see that. So I decided against anything past June. I don't want to go to Alaska, I was trying to be the good wife and just go since my hubby just has to go one day, but not for that price LOL.

June has the 24 hour days .. so if you pick the most popular month of the entire season .. and then yell .. I dont want to pay the price Id rather do Europe??

Kinda doesnt make sense to me.. if price is a issue, pick another month to go. Im going in late August when prices are less. Everyone would prefer June.. but not June prices?

I would not say, well price too high so I dont want to go, unless you are trying to prove to your husband that its not a good deal?

We paid alot less than that for a junior suite in May

An Aft Balcony was only 749pp for the same sailing

The same cabin now is almost 1700pp now

Alaska is expensive to cruise during the summer months

Well Firefly, I do not know much about Alaska and what is prime and what is not. Kind of why I was asking is this high or not, or is this normal balcony prices. I am being told on my TA site now that the 3k is ridiculous and I can wait and get it cheaper. One of my clients just got back , in june, on a balcony, for $1800 total. SO I am assuming this price was a "sale" price that really is not a sale. I will wait and watch pricing a few weeks.

I was saying if * I* was going to pay 3k I would rather go to Europe. My hubby didn't even know I was looking.

Hubby has been wanting to do Alaska. I asked my TA and she said June is the best month to go. So tonight since I seen that CCL has 50% deposits I thought I would "mock book" to see how much it was. For a cruise to Alaska, next june, balcony room, aft...it was 3k for us both.

Umm sorry hubby but for 3k I will go to Europe before I go to Alaska! What do you all think, is this a normal price for Alaska? I wonder how many price drops would happen.

Make sure you also try pricing it with Early Saver. I have found that the "sale" prices on Carnival are a lot more expensive than Other rates like Early Saver and even Past Guest. So the 72 hour sale with the reduced deposit might be a lot more expensive.

Well Firefly, I do not know much about Alaska and what is prime and what is not. Kind of why I was asking is this high or not, or is this normal balcony prices. I am being told on my TA site now that the 3k is ridiculous and I can wait and get it cheaper. One of my clients just got back , in june, on a balcony, for $1800 total. SO I am assuming this price was a "sale" price that really is not a sale. I will wait and watch pricing a few weeks.

I was saying if * I* was going to pay 3k I would rather go to Europe. My hubby didn't even know I was looking.

Sorry, I did get the idea you were not so keen on the idea.

Can you go another week when its cheaper. Most sales are never sales.

Alaska has baked into the fees and taxes, even if hidden more charges and now says starting soon they will require a higher grade of fuel to be burned near land or some such.. it is a higher price place to visit and getting worse.

but I would never pay $3K to go. I would go when its half that price. May and Sept it will be prices starting at $399 for insides .. or $799 for balconys on HAL, who has the best food .. HAL is almost always cheaper than Carnival because they have so many ships that go there.

Carnival is going to be high .. be a bit more flexible, different line or different time of year.. the season is from early may to mid or later sept.

How was sailing in May? Weather wise?
Here is my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1644310

We had great cold weather(very little rain).

The wildlife was barely waking up, the whales were still migrating and the salmon wasnt running.But.........

I am so glad we did it and cant wait to go back. We knew before we booked we would be doing Alaska another time.

BTW our cheap pricing was on RCCL:eek:

We paid alot less than that for a junior suite in May

An Aft Balcony was only 749pp for the same sailing

The same cabin now is almost 1700pp now

Alaska is expensive to cruise during the summer months

Sounds awesome to me, book early and get your pick of cabins, early in the season date .. if you want to see alaska much cheaper, you got it!!!

Im doing miracle to alaska next summer, thanks for the review.

OP people want to go when it is warmest in Alaska, hence June and July is peak time.. its when the days are longest .. and its warmer. People dont want to deal with the cold weather possibly in May or Sept, thats why early May is so cheap.

Curious about the source for the animals hibernating after June. We drove up several years ago starting in late May got there in June and started back in August. Believe me the animals weren't hibernating. I still remember stopping on the Alaskan highway in the Yukon for the little baby bear just sitting by the road. That was early August. Closer to Sept you might get to see the aurora borealis as it comes later.

We sailed to Alaska in May. It was nice weather. Everyone thinks that Alaska is cold...it is not...unless you are in the Glacier fields or on the glaciers. The weather was 60-75 meaning it got to 60's at night and around 75 in the daytime. Most folks dont want to do Alaska because they think it is cold. We loved loved Alaska. It cost us 2100 for 2 of us in an 8A balcony. For the month of June it is a bit more. But you look for sales and it is cheaper. Don't expect the excursions to be really cheap as the opening season for Alaskan excursions is May to Sept. The rest of the year the ships can't go there. Do give Alaska a chance though...it is soooo worth it to go.

Why is your TA saying no wildlife after July??? We went bear viewing around August 20th and it was amazing. You'd think if any wildlife were hibernating, it would be bears, but we saw tons. Saw other wildlife as well.

Alaska is expensive, so take a look at diferent times during the season and book as far ahead as possible. We've cruised Alaska three times and I'd go back again in a heartbeat and pay that much to do it. :D The excursions are expensive as well, BTW.

We've goe once in June and twice in August and the weather was great all three times. A little more rain in June than the August cruises, but that really doesn't mean anything--Alaska weather is unpredictable.

There's a link in my signature to the review of our last cruise--June 2011.

We booked Alaska "last minute" - at least for us!! We usually book 12-18 months out, but this time booked around 2 1/2 months out for out 8/21 sailing. Have an 8k extended balcony cabin, and for three of us it cost around $3000. Believe it or not - our excursions were almost as expensive as the cruise!!:eek: (helicoptering to Mendenheim Glacier, and dog sledding there, Tracy Arms cruise, railroad, etc.) But one more thing off my bucket list! :D

TY all so very much for your replies! If you ask me about the carribean I could tell you alot, ask me about Alaska and I know nothing:).

I will start playing with months of may and july and see what I come up with. I think we become a creature of habit because all I have ever sailed is CCL, I did not even think to price it on the other lines figuring if CCL was that high than I know I might as well not look anywhere else, DUH. SO I will go back and cruise shop other lines also.

I do not know why I am not so happy to just book Alaska, I hate heat so you would think I would want to stay away from the Carib and run to Alaska lol. Guess it is in my mind. I can do 60-75 deg no problem, alot better than 90-110 like I have done before. Again, thanks for the info time to go price shop.

Didn't read all the posts so maybe this was covered but since you'll probably fly you need to consider your embarkation and debarkation ports. Those cheap prices are mostly from Vancouver to Anchorage or reversed then from Seattle r/t. I've done Seattle twice in May and got a good price and a great cruise. Also Carnival Seattle r/t sail on Tuesdays, which gives you a break on air fares and most other lines do weekends. IMO Alaska is a cruise experience you don't want to miss, especially Tracy Arm, Mendinhol Glacier, the towns... now I want to go again.

Just returned from a 7 day Alaska on the Spirit in May of 2012. I paid about 3K for the cruise portion, but that was for 4 people in a 9A premium balcony. So yes, 3K for 2 in a regular balcony is indeed too expensive, but June is a popular time for Alaska, and prices usually come down as you get closer to cruising date.

I use to live in Alaska, in the Mat-Su Valley in Wasilla. The wildlife do not hibernate in August or September. The flowers are more beautiful in July and August, and there will be plenty of wildlife to see and alot of salmon running

Spend some time on the Alaska boards and figure out what is important to your husband for this trip. We went a couple of years ago in late July/1st of August and had a great time. I did a ton of research so that we could maximize our wildlife experience. We booked ours based on what I could figure out would be the most likely time of when the salmon would be running.

You want to go when the salmon are running if you want to see wildlife. Salmon bring out the bears. Also, to watch the salmon run is really interesting--not to be missed. Not to mention the seals who can be found on Creek Street in Ketchican lying on their backs just picking up the salmon and having a feast within a couple of feet of you...:p So much to see in Alaska, but you have to spend some time researching.

And since you asked, I think 3K is way too much! :rolleyes: Watch your prices and I agree...look at HAL or Princess. They have the most experience and a naturalist on board. Look for a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Absolutely breathtaking!

Ty for your reply. I also had asked my TA about aug or sept as that is normally when we like to cruise. She said that anything after July the wildlife is hibernating and so it is harder to get to see any wildlife if we were wanting to see that. So I decided against anything past June. I don't want to go to Alaska, I was trying to be the good wife and just go since my hubby just has to go one day, but not for that price LOL.

i have too dissagree with your ta. i have seen hundreds of whales/aquatic wildlife, huge salmon and many bears in sept. i dont consider the wildlife taking a break untill after sept. also sept is in the '' shoulder month '' along with may and i find the cheaper prices then most of the time. there is no bad time too go too alaska if you really have it on your bucket list and have limeted times you can sail ther.

Cruised this May and it was wonderful... My review is noted in my siggy...

Weather was great and horrid! But it all added to the stories and tales and trip!!! Weather is part of the culture, so experiencing it was PERFECT!!!

Had SNOW on the ground and a train get stuck in a snow bank, bad rain and BRISK, cold wind in Skagway... Cool on the day of the the glaciers, but many swimming and hot tubbing as we watched the cliffs and animals and saw the glacier...

Juneau was foggy and damp, but had a BLAST!!!

Ketchikan was sunny and warm and picture perfect!

But it ALL was FANTASTIC!!!

Archived