Anyone been to Ocho Rios with children?

gkrnjlr

That's one of the ports on our Spring Break cruise in 2013. Can anyone make me feel more comfortable about going? Our kids are 9, 8 and 5.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Jamaica and Ocho Rios, specifically.

We want to get off the ship because we've heard it's beautiful there.....but moreso want to feel safe.

What did any of you do with your kids there? And did you feel safe?

Thanks!

I recently went with my teenage daughters. I think you would be fine with a group, whether a ship excursion or private tour. I wouldn't do Dunn's River. It would be too difficult for the younger ones. They might not be quite ready for Mystic Mountain either. I would check into the tours to see what they might like. But I think you would be fine wih a group. Just stay away from the street vendors. It is a beautiful island.

Thanks! Information good to know!

I'm curious....what is it that is so dangerous about Ocho Rios?

What's up with the street vendors? They don't take "no, thank you" for an answer very kindly?

They don't stop after "no thank you". They will pester and pester on end. The drug trafficking and prostitution is rampant. Just last week I was reading an island newspaper and all it talked about was shootings in the street, so one has to be careful, and don't go near Kingston. See, Jamaica is the number one point for drug smuggling from South America, so therefore it's dangerous. The cartels there are getting about as bad as in Mexico.

I try not to take cruises that include Jamaica, but if it does, I just don't get off the ship. I've been to Jamaica numerous times, back a number of years ago, but it was a bit different then. Heck, do you know that the hotels have to hire private, gun toting, guards to keep their supposedly private beaches safe? That has to say something.

They don't stop after "no thank you". They will pester and pester on end. The drug trafficking and prostitution is rampant. Just last week I was reading an island newspaper and all it talked about was shootings in the street, so one has to be careful, and don't go near Kingston. See, Jamaica is the number one point for drug smuggling from South America, so therefore it's dangerous. The cartels there are getting about as bad as in Mexico.

I try not to take cruises that include Jamaica, but if it does, I just don't get off the ship. I've been to Jamaica numerous times, back a number of years ago, but it was a bit different then. Heck, do you know that the hotels have to hire private, gun toting, guards to keep their supposedly private beaches safe? That has to say something.

Wow. Okay so if we take an excursion we need to find one that's a tour bus type that will just simply take us around to see everything and then head back to the ship.

OR maybe we should just call it a ship day and stay on the ship. We've always avoided Jamaica, but this time it's one of the ports that was part of the rest of the itinerary we liked.

Is Cozumel still safe? Or are they still having issues there?

Thanks!

Do a ship tour. I did not care for the shopping area around the ship. They seem to be pushing everything including marijuana and the police are just waiting to nab someone purchasing this stuff- good money maker for the local jails.

I was not scared there- just annoyed.

We did a taxi ride around the island. We stopped at the Dunn River Falls with the intension of walking the falls (my son was 8) and there is no way I would do it even without kids.

http://www.ultimatetaxi.com/caribbean_cruise/ocho_rios_jamaica_dunns_river_falls1.htm

We went to a little beach at the Falls and it was filled with seaweed and was not the turquoise type beach you might be expecting. The island is very lush though- and a tour would probably be a good idea because while we didn't have any trouble with the cabby- you just never know. I had a terrible cab driver in St. Thomas and I think he may have been on drugs or drunk.

If I went back- I'd make it a ship day and enjoy the pool onboard- not out of fear but just because I didn't really like it there.

We did a tour with Mark Morris a few years back. He was great. My son was 8 at the time and didn't have a problem at the falls. He was fine as long as you held hands with him. At age 5 not sure if it would be a problem or not. The vendors are very pushy as you leave the falls. Mark got us out of there another route and took us downtown personally so my son could get a I climbed Dunns river Falls shirt which he wanted but Mark didn't want us to deal with the pushy vendors.

Stopped at this port in Dec 2011 and was not pleased. Got on a bus with many others headed for the Dunns River Falls and they actually put middle seats down to cram the buses and frankly it's dangerous. I remember thinking if there was an accident or a fire not one would be able to escape. When I made a comment to the female Jamaican "tour guide" regarding the safety of the middle seats she got very loud and stated "people here are starving and we need to make a living!" I should have asked to get out but instead I went along to the falls and told my husband there is no way I'm getting back on that mini-bus. We took a taxi back to the boat.

There really isn't much to see there but if you were on a cruise sponsored activity they could drive to nicer places in Jamaica. We were asked to buy drugs so many times by people coming up to us, we decided to get back on the boat early. Watch your kids closely.

We've been to Ocho Rios a couple of times, snorkeled, visited a garden, and climbed the Falls (I wouldn't bring kids there). We've tried to avoid it for all of the reasons mentioned. It's probably been 7 or 8 years since we've been there so I'm not sure if it's worse or better now. The vendor are relentless and they don't take no for an answer. The market at the top of the Falls is a little scary because they are soooo pushy.

Now we have a toddler who will be 21 months when we sail. We're going to play it by ear, but we've considered going to all all inclusive for the day. It's directly across from where the ships dock. We may also stay on the ship but since she's not potty trained and can't go in the pool we thought it would be more fun to be at a beach and the ocean.

If you're interested in looking at the all inclusive, here's the address:

http://jamaicaforaday.com/Ocho_Rios_Shore_Excursion.html

We would love to see Jamaica, but we ended up canceling this booking and re-booked another ship/itinerary that doesn't include Ocho Rios.

Thank you for everyone's input here! I love these boards!

We went in 2007 when our son was then 4. We took a ship sponsored shore excursion to a garden(Coyoba garden, I think?) and then it stopped at Dunns River Falls to take a look. We thought it was very nice there and my son liked the tour too. The people there do tend to haggle with you and follow you, was offered drugs one time but that was on another cruise without children and right outside the port where we had decided to venture on our own. Not a good idea. I've climbed the falls before too and that was fun, but that was before kids as well.

But if you can find a tour that sounds good to you, I would do it. It is a pretty island.

I don't think anyone should get the impression that Ocho Rios is dangerous. I just think that the locals are Soooo annoying following you in the street trying to sell you stuff.

So if you want to see the island, which is a pretty island, do a ship sponsored tour- they will take good care of you.

We took kids to Ocho Rios (ages 3 and 6) a few years ago. We walked to the Margaritaville from the ship. It had a nice beach area and a pool with a slide. We got there around lunch time and stayed until about 3. The kids played on the beach for awhile and then went down the slide (over and over). It wasnt cheap but we felt perfectly safe. We were there early enough during the day -- it wasn't crowded and never had a bar atmosphere.

I have been to Ocho Rios with DH and DS (6). I agree that you should take an excursion offered by your cruise line. If you take one of those then you should be fine. I would just not recommend going off by yourselves. We always do the river tubing, which is a lot of fun. No big rapids, more like a lazy river with some fast spots. DS loved it! The staff on the excursion were really good about making sure everyone was safe and having a good time.

We've done Jamaica a couple of times with children. A few year ago we had kids 3, 4, 5, 5 & 13 along. We did a private tour with Phil Lafayette--highly recommended. He really took care of us and we felt very safe.

We did river tubing (quite easy; all the kids had fun. However, they are all very much water babies) and the adults climbed Dunn's Falls while we grandparents (we'd climbed them before) watched the kids at the beach there.

Last year we took 7 grandkids on a cruise that included Jamaica; however, it stopped at Montego Bay. We took a bus to a recommended beach and they had a great time. We avoided shopping there, except in the cruise terminal shops.

We have also gone to Margaritaville, which is very close to the docks, although not with kids. They have a pool with a slide and a very small beach. There is a slightly larger beach next to it that costs a minimal amount to use. It only cost us the price of a pop. It was not party central at the late morning-early afternoon time we were there at all. I think kids would have a good time and it was safe.

If you do go to Dunn's River Falls, you do not have to go through the shopping area, which is one of the worst as far as pestering and, in fact, being agressive, as I have seen in all our travels. I think if you head left after exiting the falls you can avoid the shopping. Phil made sure we stayed out of there.

I'd use either a highly recommended private tour or a ship tour here, or do something others have done without trouble; get ideas from these boards.

I guess because we're 'old'? we've never been asked to buy drugs. I would stay out of the main shopping areas on the island due to the unpleasant persistance of the sellers. They'd sell a lot more if they used milder techniques--we'd certainly shop there if it wasn't so unpleasant.

Thanks for the info, I have been to Jamacia twice, a few years ago, and had hoped they had been educated to treat customers better, but sadly, sounds like they have not.

Had a similar pestering on RC private island shopping spot - Do not pick up anything to look at it, they tell you you must buy it!

Beautiful areas, if only they could be taught not to annoy the customers they are trying to sell to, they would sell much more.

Jamaica is not one of my favorite ports. I've had bad experiences there and from the tons of reading I did before we went again with our (then 3 year old) back in March, it seems like not much has changed.

So, I decided to do an AI resort which included the transportation right out of the port to the resort, all your food, TONS of pools, on the ocean and you can view your ship right there in front of you, and all the drinks you want (both soda and alcohol).

We had a GREAT day and it was very nice there! I would definitely go back if we visit Jamaica again.

Here is a review I did on the place and it has a link at the bottom with tons of pictures that day. Let me know if you have any questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33228671&postcount=25

I would suggest doing a ship excursion. We got a cab on our own the last time we were there and did not feel safe. The cab driver kept taking us to little huts along the road and people would try to sell us drugs. He even took us to a hut next to Dunn's River Falls and the people were selling pipes for drugs and kept asking us if we needed anything (drugs). I would never go on my own and if we ever go back there I would take a ship excursion or just stay on the ship.

Like all tourist places it is full of people trying to make a buck off the tourists and why should anyone be surprised the island is a bit worse as it is dreadfully poor and we bring a lot of required cash...

When we were there last our kids were younger than the ages of your three. We had no worries going to the falls, walking around the dock and doing the big stops.

That's one of the ports on our Spring Break cruise in 2013. Can anyone make me feel more comfortable about going? Our kids are 9, 8 and 5.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Jamaica and Ocho Rios, specifically.

We want to get off the ship because we've heard it's beautiful there.....but moreso want to feel safe.

What did any of you do with your kids there? And did you feel safe?

Thanks!

Thanks for your review of the AI Mitsugirly. It was helpful to me. I am still trying to decide if we will even get off the ship in Jamaica or do the AI with two children (ages 6 and 9). I know my kids would love that waterslide!

Thanks for your review of the AI Mitsugirly. It was helpful to me. I am still trying to decide if we will even get off the ship in Jamaica or do the AI with two children (ages 6 and 9). I know my kids would love that waterslide!

You are very welcome. I REALLY didn't want to get off here either. But, I'm so glad I changed my mind. This resort is HUGE. We didn't even go all the way around to the other side where they were snorkeling and where they have a few more pools and the little part that goes out where people get married. The hotel is huge too and looks really nice. If we ever go back there, I'll probably return. :)

• 1 month later...

We went on a ship tour (we were on the Freedom) that included Dunn's River Falls and Green Grotto Cave. Our children were 9 and 11 at the time. We went on a little bus with a guide. Our bus was not overcrowded. She brought some fruit and sugar cane for everyone to try and told us about the country along the way. My children were engaged the whole time.

At the Falls I was nervous for the children and had a death grip on them. The current is very strong and the guides have such a large group that you really have to look after your own. My children play hockey and are athletic so we had no issues.... but it could be challenging if you are not in good shape. The guide led us from the Falls and the route avoided the pushy market area.

After that we drove to the cave. It was very interesting and we all enjoyed it. The guide was wonderful and really explained things to the children in terms they could understand. They were allowed to hold the flashlight and lead the group. We saw a fairly large snake and bats.

At the market by the ship my daughter purchased some little bracelets for her friends and my son bought a little boat. The vendors were not anymore pushy here than in other places we have been (we found the Cozumel market by the ship way worse) However, we were warned about the sellers by the Falls and stayed clear.

We all enjoyed our time in Jamaica and the children name it as one of their favourite excursions. Perhaps you could keep it as an option for future cruises when your 5 year old is a little older.

Archived