A "Loyal Royal" Floats the Triumph 7/16-7/20

TxBubba

Interested in your comments but think you should have changed your CC name.

True Loyal Royals don't like reading anything that is not negative about Carnival.

They may take your Loyal Royal status away.;)

How about them Nationals?

3 days since the first post and the review still isn't finished. Am I the only one that wishes folks would write the entire review and then copy/paste it on the thread? They could do it over the course of a day or so (in sections) if they wanted to draw it out for comments. But not days and days or even weeks and weeks. . .

Sorry! Just venting! :o

OP: Great review so far! :D:D

Hello

"Behind the Fun Tour"

When I first learned of this option I was excited. My son and I were the first ones to sign up for the 16 member only tour. I have to tell you that RCCL is missing out on a great way to milk another $100 from a few passengers. The tour lasted almost 4 hours and we were led all over the ship by a member of the crew's Human Resources Department. Each stop had a member of the crew talk to us about what they do and give us a demonstration. Everything from the laundry, kitchen, storage, crew areas, engine control room, behind the stage in the theater, and the bridge had some sort of demonstration. We also got to see parts of the ship including the brig and the morgue. It was a great way to burn some time on the last sea day and see some very unique areas. It ended with my son and I having our picture taken with the Captain while my son "steered" the boat (which was included in the $100 fee). Two thumbs up, Carnival! You made this "shippie" very happy.

As I mentioned before, I asked the engineer about the emergency generator on the deck. He said that they have been having trouble with their emergency generator and had this one brought in and installed as a backup. He said it is large enough to power the ship's essential systems in case of an emergency. I didn't ask, but I suspect this had something to do with the fire aboard the Splendor last year. Again, just speculation on my part.

So let's tally the score for these areas:

Stateroom: Carnival

Ship layout: RCCL

"Behind the Scenes Tour": Carnival

Overall score to date: Carnival 4, RCCL 1

I welcome your comments and questions and I hope you are enjoying reading my review as much as I am writing it.

Up next: FOOD!!!

Jeff

Great review so far! We have sailed on both lines a few times and find them to be very similar. One tiny correction - RCI does offer an equivalent tour, but I don't recall the name. They also offer tours of the bridge, galley and theater for "free" to their Diamond Plus, Pinnacle and full suite passengers. So we've never felt compelled to add the paid tour, which I think is $150 (that might be Princess' price).

Loving your review OP.

I agree with the debarkation in Galveston. We cruised VIP with Carnival last summer. We stayed pre-cruise at Harbor House. Self-disembark, and out in car in just a few minutes. We could hardly believe the difference! It was a much better experience than our RCCL Galveston experience. It really made our 8 hour drive home seem to go by faster.

My DD and I just cruised on Oasis. When we walked into our stateroom, I commented about where the luggage mat for the bed might be. My DD looked at me as if I must be crazy as she has only cruised Royal. I really missed having that mat. I guess it's little things that make me happy! :D

Hello everyone!

"Behind the Fun Tour"

When I first learned of this option I was excited. My son and I were the first ones to sign up for the 16 member only tour.

When and where did you sign up for the "Behind the Fun Tour"?? It sounds very intriguing! :)

When and where did you sign up for the "Behind the Fun Tour"?? It sounds very intriguing! :)

Its best that you sign up the very first day as soon as you board..They only take one or two groups of 16.....Dennis

3 days since the first post and the review still isn't finished. Am I the only one that wishes folks would write the entire review and then copy/paste it on the thread? They could do it over the course of a day or so (in sections) if they wanted to draw it out for comments. But not days and days or even weeks and weeks. . .

Sorry! Just venting! :o

OP: Great review so far! :D:D

Thanks! (I think) I thought about writing it all down before posting but I thought it would be a hard read that way. And you are right - I like the feedback as I write. Guilty as charged.

Great review so far! We have sailed on both lines a few times and find them to be very similar. One tiny correction - RCI does offer an equivalent tour, but I don't recall the name. They also offer tours of the bridge, galley and theater for "free" to their Diamond Plus, Pinnacle and full suite passengers. So we've never felt compelled to add the paid tour, which I think is $150 (that might be Princess' price).

Thanks!

I had read that RCCL did one for the Diamond folks. I guess I will have to sail again with them to achieve Diamond and get the tour. On my last Rhapsody sailing we were able to get a tour of the theater behind the scenes which was interesting. It was somewhat bitter sweet as the performers were very emotional because in just a few weeks they were going to be split up as the ship re-positioned to Australia and Asia. =(

The cost of the Carnival tour was $95 a person.

Jeff

Loving your review OP.

I agree with the debarkation in Galveston. We cruised VIP with Carnival last summer. We stayed pre-cruise at Harbor House. Self-disembark, and out in car in just a few minutes. We could hardly believe the difference! It was a much better experience than our RCCL Galveston experience. It really made our 8 hour drive home seem to go by faster.

My DD and I just cruised on Oasis. When we walked into our stateroom, I commented about where the luggage mat for the bed might be. My DD looked at me as if I must be crazy as she has only cruised Royal. I really missed having that mat. I guess it's little things that make me happy! :D

Love the luggage mat story! It really surprises me that Royal does not do anything similar.

I am intrigued by the Oasis and the Allure, but the price tag ends a lot of that intrigue. =)

Stop by the Shore Excursion desk as soon as you board. From what I understand it fills up fast!

Thanks! (I think) I thought about writing it all down before posting but I thought it would be a hard read that way. And you are right - I like the feedback as I write. Guilty as charged.

I am enjoying your review! Thanks for taking the time to write it.;)

Stateroom- My wife was very happy with the ample storage space and extra closet space this stateroom category provided.

I have sailed on the Triumph 4 times and Carnival a total of 9 times and have always found there to be plenty of storage space in all the room categories except for inner handicapped rooms where they sacrifice about half of the closet space to make the bathroom more wheelchair friendly. Your review was very accurate but you didn't comment on the robes. Carnival has 2 robes in EVERY room no matter what the room category where I have never received a robe on RCCL. Do they give robes on RCCL if you request one? or Do they only give robe if you book a suite? Also wanted to let folks know that the Triumph only has refrigerators in the suites. If you book any other category you need to bring a portable ice chest. But to give them their due our cabin steward on Triumph refilled our ice chest twice per day without being asked to which kept our wine and drinks colder than a frig would have.

The Ship Layout-Carnival had level 5 crammed with photographers and their setups trying to get you in to take a picture. I swear there must have been 5-6 different setups each night crammed into deck five. It was a bit of an overkill.

I agree. I heard some say they felt Carnival ships were too crowded but the only time I have felt crowded was when navigating the photo op stations and when exiting a theater immediately after a show. Of course there is a little waiting at embarkation, debarkation and if boarding tenders but excluding the photo op traffic jams and other common areas of wait (common to any cruise line or ship) I have not had long waits.

Excellent and very unbiased review. I look forward to reading more.

Jeff,

This is a terrific read! I love your writing style. My husband and I really loved the Triumph; it's my favorite ship so far, although I think our first cruise might still qualify as the favorite overall cruise.

Next up for us: Elation, on a route we've done a few times now; we're taking the kids over Fall Break for the first time ever (shhhh! it's a surprise), and we couldn't pass up the price. However, Navigator is calling my name. I'd really like to try that class next.

Looking forward to seeing more of your review! :)

Being a "shippy", can you tell me how the water systems work? I was very happily surprised by quality of the water served but wondered if the the sewer system used salt water. I know this is a weird question, but really have been wondering.:o

It would really be nice if everyone let the OP have his say without forming battle lines. There is no need to fight. In fact, there is nothing to fight over.

I hope some of the usual suspects (you know who you are) can back off and let the reviewer speak his piece. I'd like to hear (read) it without having to endure a bunch of childish playground stuff.

Jim

... and I just came over here for the fighting and bickering.:rolleyes:

I am enjoying your review. As you can tell by my signature I am a loyal RCCL cruiser. The Diamond perks are hard to pass up. We will be looking to other cruiselines soon as we want new itineraries. I had always heard the cruise lines were more alike than different. I appreciate your open minded review. I have to agree with one of the other posters that RCCL does offer a behind the scene tour for anyone who signs up. I think the cost was similar. We have not done it but our tablemates did and they thought it was great. We may have to try it sometime.

All I want is to relax, visit a couple of ports and have someone else cook, clean and do my laundry.

[/size]That sounds somewhat like me. My preference has always been Royal and I particularly loved the Oasis, but I was able to go on the lovely little Fantasy twice since then and had a wonderful time for the very reasons you listed. Both are great lines.

Kathy

... and I just came over here for the fighting and bickering.:rolleyes:

Perhaps you have not seen funnel enthusiast RRLLAL and his imagined adversaries take over a thread with their third-grade name-calling????

Jim

Perhaps you have not seen funnel enthusiast RRLLAL and his imagined adversaries take over a thread with their third-grade name-calling????

Jim

Facts really escape you don't they? And what name calling? Do you mean calling a troll a troll? Nice job of taking a great thread and calling out people. I will not respond to any other childish comments you have here as it is disrespectful to the OP who is doing a great job. Adios.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

[/font][/color]

Carnival has 2 robes in EVERY room no matter what the room category where I have never received a robe on RCCL. Do they give robes on RCCL if you request one? or Do they only give robe if you book a suite? Also wanted to let folks know that the Triumph only has refrigerators in the suites. If you book any other category you need to bring a portable ice chest. But to give them their due our cabin steward on Triumph refilled our ice chest twice per day without being asked to which kept our wine and drinks colder than a frig would have.

Great catch on the robes issue - I had completely forgotten about them. Yes, the room came with two very nice robes for our use. If memory serves, RCCL provides them once you receive Platinum status (5 cruises or something like that) or you can ask for them and most cabin stewards will gladly supply you with them.

Thanks for the help!

Archived