A "Loyal Royal" Floats the Triumph 7/16-7/20

TxBubba

I like your detail. On our first Carnival cruise we were VIP. On our upcoming cruise we will be in a standard balcony. If we arrive at 2:00PM will we have much of a line?

I think you might as the all aboard is around 2:30pm if memory serves.

I also believe that based on the OP's tone his cruise was not a disaster. However as we are Diamond Plus on RCCL we are well aware of snobbery , and distain for Carnival exhibited by many loyal RCCL cruisers. The Triumph is not one of Carnival's most desirable ships and I encourage The OP to sail on a few ships to form a more complete opinion of Carnival.

Not a disaster at all. We had a great time and that is one reason I felt compelled to write this sort of review.

I am enjoying your well written and open approach, I look forward to reading more.

Thanks.

Thank you for the support. I am trying to write it in an unbiased manner and just present the facts.

As far as seeing Carnival as a drunk party barge full of trailer trash, that view is very pervasive on Disney boards as well, but even more so on CC. And like the Carnival boards, if you say something even remotely negative about Disney on those boards, you are savaged by groupies.

OP, You have an excellent writing style, almost like a college thesis...may I ask what you do for a living?

I hope my review will help qualm any fears. To be clear, I never judged the people nor the income level of the passengers as part of my preconceived notions... Only that my perception was the party atmosphere was too intense for my liking. I will address that notion in a later post I promise.

I appreciate the compliment on my writing style. I work for a large commercial property development and management firm in the Dallas area.

Jeff

OP Im sorry you have preconceived ideas about Carnival.. very odd as I dont see much of that on the RCL threads .. wonder how you got that opinion.

Im diamond on RCL so I do both lines quite a bit.

Im doing Conquest out of NOLA >>> because I can drive. I much prefer Galveston, but Magic prices are still a bit steep.

I bet if you try Magic you will love it.. Its much nicer than Triumph.

Thanks. As I stated in my introduction post I think my perceptions came from bad information and opinions. The Triumph was a great ship and i imagine I will be sailing the Magic one day as well.

I hope my review will help qualm any fears. To be clear, I never judged the people nor the income level of the passengers as part of my preconceived notions... Only that my perception was the party atmosphere was too intense for my liking. I will address that notion in a later post I promise.

I appreciate the compliment on my writing style. I work for a large commercial property development and management firm in the Dallas area.

Jeff

You didn't come across that way at all. We tend to cruise twice a year - we have a large family and need two cabins. Carnival has great 3rd person discounts compared to a lot of other lines. We can afford to sail other lines, but that would mean one cruise rather than two. Heck, it is cheaper to sail other lines with just two or three passengers than it is to sail Carnival. It simply does not work that way for us though. I am looking forward to the rest of your review. It is very unbiased at this point.

I am very interested in your review!

So far I have only sailed on Carnival and I just ignore the snarky remarks from people I know who have never sailed Carnival.

I would LOVE to try other lines as well but as a solo cruiser/sail with friend/single parent cruising scenario I have found that the Carnival product works so well for me and I have just not wanted to venture off the path yet....however, I read threads about other lines with great interest so that when I do expand I feel like I am making an educated decision ;)

I agree that many other Carnival ships may be newer/nicer/have more amenities than the Triumph BUT she was my first ship, I have sailed her twice and she holds a special place in my heart!

Jeff

Since this is the Carnival boards .. I doubt people posting on these boards buy into what you call snobbery.

Im having trouble though picturing someone named TXBubba as a self professed snob!!!

Thanks. As I stated in my introduction post I think my perceptions came from bad information and opinions. The Triumph was a great ship and i imagine I will be sailing the Magic one day as well.

the Magic is a new ship and gorgeous with things to rival Oasis, like the new rope course and more food options.

(and Ive done Oasis twice before you tell me I dont know.. I do)

Since this is the Carnival boards .. I doubt people posting on these boards buy into what you call snobbery.

Im having trouble though picturing someone named TXBubba as a self professed snob!!!

Great point. I plan on posting a link on the RCCL boards to my review.

As for the TxBubba handle, I have been paying that banjo for years. Think of it as my alter-ego. :)

I have only been on 1 Royal cruise. The Sovereign of the Seas. It was enjoyable. I like their pool area much more than Carnival. this is something Carnival needs to improve upon . The maitre d did come to the table every night to make sure everything was okay. This was also different, as on Carnival, most cruises I have been on, he only came to our table on the last night.... hmmm wonder why?

The sail away party on Royal was fun.... although Carnival is improving on that again. For quite a while...it was just ..... we are sailing away...

I will always be cruising on Carnival.... may make some side trips on other lines in the future... but with Carnival... I just love the atmosphere... with the crew and the fellow passengers.... not necessarily a party boat... but it is a happy boat!

Great point. I plan on posting a link on the RCCL boards to my review.

As for the TxBubba handle, I have been paying that banjo for years. Think of it as my alter-ego. :)

Lol checking out your blog, :D:D. Love your tenants!!

Thanks for the great report, I'm looking forward to reading the rest as you post. It will be very interesting and helpful to read a report from someone who seems to just want to lay the facts out there as they see them. We've only sailed Carnival so far (once last year and in 2 weeks, with another in pre-planning stages for January 2014!!) and I have yet to experience all these 'horrific' things that I'm assured will occur if I don't avoid Carnival like the plague and shell out several hundred more dollars for RCL or several thousand more for Disney. And before I get flamed, yes, I know the value of Disney, we're Disney Vacation Club members who own several hundred points and have three trips to the World planned in the next year, so we've bought into the mouse to the tune of more money than I care to think about. And I would, without hesitation, argue that the money we've put into DVC was one of our wisest investments. There is no question Disney knows what they're doing when it comes to service.

But when it comes to cruising I just can't figure out exactly what all the extra money for a RCL or DCL cruise REALLY gets me. I found the food on Carnival good to very good, the staff friendly, the beds comfortable, the ports are fun and inviting, the drinks are plentiful and strong enough, and there's always something to do or not do depending on mood.

Enjoying your review. We are going on the Triumph in 2 weeks after not sailing Carnival for 10 yrs. We booked it as a last minute vacation due to pricing. Glad to hear you have had a good experience.

We too are loyal to Royal after trying HAL & Costa for other cruises. We have always liked our RCCL cruises, but are looking forward to our Carnival cruise to give them another try. We honestly didn't enjoy our first Carnival cruise as much as we have the others, but it must have been good on some level since it was our first cruise and we have gone on 8 others since then!:D

Thanks for taking the time to give your review!

Before I sailed on Carnival, we had only sailed on RC. I might have never sailed on Carnival had it not been for a friend who wanted to do a 4-day "girl's cruise," and she chose Carnival. It was a great way to try a different line, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail on RC or Carnival; I like them both. Carnival has some nice southern Caribbean itineraries with ports we haven't been to yet. (Breeze and also an 8-day on Liberty) We're sailing on RC Freedom of the Seas next May, but after that I think we'll be back on Carnival because I'd really like to try one of those.

Not sure you are in such a unique position to compare RCCL to Carnival because you have been on both lines. Many of the hundreds of reviews

comparing the 2 lines have been done by cruisers who have cruised both lines multiple times. We've done 10 RCCL and 2 Carnival cruises and find both lines very similar. There are of course differences as you will point out, but they are usually minor.

Not sure you are in such a unique position to compare RCCL to Carnival because you have been on both lines. Many of the hundreds of reviews

comparing the 2 lines have been done by cruisers who have cruised both lines multiple times. We've done 10 RCCL and 2 Carnival cruises and find both lines very similar. There are of course differences as you will point out, but they are usually minor.

At least he's adding his review.

Give him a chance.

At least he's adding his review.

I believe he is reviewing and addressing the preconceived notions that he had regarding Carnival vs. Royal Sorry, OP, don't want to put words in your mouth. That was the take I had at any rate.

It would really be nice if everyone let the OP have his say without forming battle lines. There is no need to fight. In fact, there is nothing to fight over.

I hope some of the usual suspects (you know who you are) can back off and let the reviewer speak his piece. I'd like to hear (read) it without having to endure a bunch of childish playground stuff.

Jim

It would really be nice if everyone let the OP have his say without forming battle lines. There is no need to fight. In fact, there is nothing to fight over.

I hope some of the usual suspects (you know who you are) can back off and let the reviewer speak his piece. I'd like to hear (read) it without having to endure a bunch of childish playground stuff.

Jim

Agreed

Archived