Being charged twice for onboard costs

steveycams

As has been said - it's totally dependent on the bank. I use my debit card for travel on a consistent basis and have never had a "hold" on money for more than about twelve hours - and more often than not, never see any hold whatsoever.

Not ALL banks do this, and thus traveling with a debit card is not *always* a terrible idea.

As has been said - it's totally dependent on the bank. I use my debit card for travel on a consistent basis and have never had a "hold" on money for more than about twelve hours - and more often than not, never see any hold whatsoever.

Not ALL banks do this, and thus traveling with a debit card is not *always* a terrible idea.

Some people carry a larger balance in their checking account. Others carry "just enough". Those without a buffer see the problems. Those with extra wiggle room never even KNOW this stuff is going on.

Therefore, some replies, stories, experiences do not always apply.

I originally had my credit card with them but the night before check-out we decided to pay for on board credit using our funds available so we knew how much we had left on our trip

steve/tash

If you have your credit card with you, why not just use that for the rest of your traveling and wait till you get home to deal with the holds. Most likely they will all be gone by then and it won't be an issue.

If you have your credit card with you, why not just use that for the rest of your traveling and wait till you get home to deal with the holds. Most likely they will all be gone by then and it won't be an issue.

I firmly believe using the CC is the best bet. I do not like the idea of somebody messing with my checking account - which pays the mortgage, electric, water, gas, cable and most of our charge cards.

Some people carry a larger balance in their checking account. Others carry "just enough". Those without a buffer see the problems. Those with extra wiggle room never even KNOW this stuff is going on.

Therefore, some replies, stories, experiences do not always apply.

Exactly my point. I don't carry a buffer - There's never more than about $50 "extra" in my account. I just have a bank that doesn't suck, I guess. I can see "pending" transactions in my online account - and I have seen a handful of holds, generally for a restaurant that pre-authorizes before adding tips, and a handful of gas stations. But once the second transaction - the final transaction - hits, the first one is immediately cancelled, before the bank even does their nightly reconciliation. No overdrafts, no tied up funds, nothing. I've used my debit card for week-long hotel stays, gas stations across the country, etc - and never even the slightest of issues.

I also never would consider using a debit card in travels except to get cash from an ATM. I also would NEVER have just one credit card. That is extremely risky and so much can happen to the card.

I was in Vancouver and it took three cards for me to get a Sky Train ticket, as an example. :)

I must be in the minority.. because I only use a debit card when travelling.

However, I do know the way cruises and hotels charge, and how my bank handles debits.

NCL and Carnival's auths drop on the third business day, at least from my bank, so I know i'll be safe.

On my last cruise, it was a 7 day.. so.. Auth on Sunday.. which I think was a $300 auth.. The auth was gone on Thursday, but there were the daily auths on there.

As long as you know whats going to happen, debit cards are not as evil as people think they are.

Next year, I am going to have a seperate account for the cruise (ie: seperate debit card), so I'll have even more protection

I used a credit card at the beginning of the month with NCL. My OB Account was settled in full before leaving the ship with this card. The following day I noticed my balance was around £600 more than it should have been. My initial thought was that I had been charged twice. On calling NCL I was advised that holds had been put on my card. I questioned this and explained this was why I never used my debit card. The lady said it's all the same, or words to that effect. The funds cleared 6 days later.

Why would this be the case when using a credit card?

As someone has already said, NCL make the holds, so why would they make holds on a credit card when their website advises against using a debit card to avoid this very scenario?

I used a credit card at the beginning of the month with NCL. My OB Account was settled in full before leaving the ship with this card. The following day I noticed my balance was around £600 more than it should have been. My initial thought was that I had been charged twice. On calling NCL I was advised that holds had been put on my card. I questioned this and explained this was why I never used my debit card. The lady said it's all the same, or words to that effect. The funds cleared 6 days later.

Why would this be the case when using a credit card?

As someone has already said, NCL make the holds, so why would they make holds on a credit card when their website advises against using a debit card to avoid this very scenario?

Because with the debit card they are holding YOUR money and with a credit card they are holding the banks money. (Only your credit limit is effected not your money).

Horror stories with Debit cards are posted here on a regular basis. Why do people not learn?

We always travel with at least two DIFFERENT credit cards. We would never travel without them.

it's not that people don't learn, it's that so many of them don't seem to find this site until AFTER their cruise! How does that happen? How can you plan a cruise or honeymoon for months and then only find CC when you are home and have a problem? This just amazes me no end.

Off soapbox, I agree with the others to start with your bank and the 1-800 number on the back of your card. Although since it is Austrailia it might be a different number.

We usually travel with 2-3 cards (credit cards) that is, I use one with a high limit, on the cruise ship and hotels. Because I do find it takes a while for the holds this disappear. Take an extra card just in case of emergency.

I don't use credit cards for anything other than the cruise ship, hotels and air fares. Everything else we pay cash.

We have learned from experience to expect holds. We do not use debt cards at all - we like to bank the old fashion way. It is easier.

It's not that I think debit cards are evil. It's just I don't understand why I would use one when credit card companies line up to pay me to use their money. Currently discover is paying 5% on my first $1500 in gas purchases. That's $75 for filling up my car the way I normally do (I drive a lot for work). I use an SPG Amex that pays for almost all my hotel rooms or I can convert to airmiles. I think debit cards are fine but but getting things for free is better and credit cards have much better consumer protection laws in the US than do debit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that I think debit cards are evil. It's just I don't understand why I would use one when credit card companies line up to pay me to use their money. Currently discover is paying 5% on my first $1500 in gas purchases. That's $75 for filling up my car the way I normally do (I drive a lot for work). I use an SPG Amex that pays for almost all my hotel rooms or I can convert to airmiles. I think debit cards are fine but but getting things for free is better and credit cards have much better consumer protection laws in the US than do debit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGREE!

Debit cards have zero advantage.

Credit Cards have lots of advantages. Why do people fight it?

Because with the debit card they are holding YOUR money and with a credit card they are holding the banks money. (Only your credit limit is effected not your money).

That explains it. Many thanks.

Had I known that, I'd just have used my Debit Card to save having to pay interest charges. :rolleyes:

That explains it. Many thanks.

Had I known that, I'd just have used my Debit Card to save having to pay interest charges. :rolleyes:

Ultimately, it's your money either way. I think the point peg013 was trying to make is that with a credit card, you're not giving them direct, instant access to your actual money which is exactly what you're doing when you give them a debit card. If the hold ties up your line of credit, it's inconvenient but not necessarily crippling. When the hold ties up your entire chequing account, that has a host of more pressing problems.

Another point there are many "protections" with credit cards, and not debit cards. Try disputing a purchase with a debit card. :( Or having the advantage of additional insurance with a car rental. You have nothing with a debit card.

As upset as you are, this isn't the fault of NCL, all lines would have done the same or something similar. Add to this, you are from out of the country...we have had it happen when we have traveled to Canada and used a CC, but Cc are much better and safer than debit cards. If nothing else you now know, not to depend on your debit card when traveling,especially when cruising or running a on going account at a resort or hotel.

I originally had my credit card with them but the night before check-out we decided to pay for on board credit using our funds available so we knew how much we had left on our trip

i specifically told them can we use this card to pay and will there be any extra charges and they never said there was.

this is my first ever cruise and why on earth would they need to take out a extra $1200 when i fully paid for every purchase we made.

we wanted to pay by cash but on our way home for some reason the ships atm was out of service and was told on a number of occasions that it will be fixed and was not.

I actually did call my Bank back in Australia and they told me that NCL have to fax over a release statement, signed to the bank for them to re-instate our funds

I know hotels put hold on funds but it seems very strange for such a large amount to be taken out

overall i was happy with our cruise with NCL but this mishap should have been handled better on there behalf by warning us of this which they did not.

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the advise

regards

steve/tash

Steve,

If I understand this you setup the account with a credit card and then went to settle it with a debit card - normally this is not a problem. However I am not sure what happens when you try to convert US$ to AUS$ - perhaps that is where the problem lies - I am not sure what the exchange rate was on that day - but it could explain why the charges were more than you expected. Another reason to use credit cards as you usually get better exchange rates. Today it looks like the US$ is equal to about .95 AUS$.

Congrats on you wedding

I have spoken to my bank again, and again NCL took out another $1227

total amount oweing back to us is $2472

to me that is a disgrace when we only spent $1205 on the ship.

why on earth would they feel the need to hold that amount of money.

yes it is NCL fault because when i advised them they told me no.

also the food after day 3 started to taste the same everywhere so we decided to start eating off the ship;)

great way to end our trip after finding out we have been charged twice

took the cruise with the Pride of America to the hawaian islands.

flying to Las Vegas the next day with no funds available and cannot contact them to fix the issue

went back to the cruise ship and they did nothing to assist and help me out.

overall very upset and will never cruise with them again.

great way to spoil our Honeymoon

:mad:

This is your and your banks problem and not NCL.

You should have known that NCL and ALL cruise lines and hotels and car rental put holds on charge and debit cards.

You where not billed twice as you imply.

It is not wise to use a debit card on Cruises, Hotel stays, or car rentals, etc. This is not NCL's fault. When ever you use a creit card on a cruise, hotel stay or car rental, the cruiseline, hotel, etc will authorize a certain amount per day while on the cruise. The hold on your funds is by your debit card's issuing BANK. It can take up to 72 hours and in some cases even longer, it depends on your bank's hold policy. Contact your bank to see how long they will keep the hold on your funds. I believe that it is out of NCL's control by now. I would hardly find it necessary to bash NCL, if everything was okay with your cruise up to the point of learning of the funds hold policy, for something that EVERY cruise line has a policy of doing. Your bank will enlighten you on funds hold policy on your debit card. If you have an actual CREDIT card I would highly reccommend using it in the future on a cruise, hotel stay, etc. whether you plan to pay cash at the end of your cruise or not. I hope this helps.

If each person on the ship gets their money held for up to 72 or more hours per thousands of customers, think of the interest the cruise lines are making. But I certainly agree not to use a debt card to begin with!

Horror stories with Debit cards are posted here on a regular basis. Why do people not learn?

As to the person on the pier, there is so very little he can do. He may not be able to access your account. He surely can not access your bank account.

We always travel with at least two DIFFERENT credit cards. We would never travel without them.

We were in Bergen and I could not understand why my onshore purchase was not going through. Credit Card company put a hold until they could verify it was us! Trouble was, we were in the wrong time zone for CSR to help us. Will always travel with two Credit Cards now, AND some cash that is only for true emergency use. Sorry OP, for what you are experiencing. As my clever niece always says, "someday we will look back on this and laugh." May your marriage last so that can eventually happen.:D

Archived