Personal -- Ms. Ellen Bettridge (copy via US Mail)

dusababy

Dear Ms. Bettridge:

Congratulations on your new post. I join many long time Silversea cruisers in wishing you great success in this new challenge. Expectations are high -- a great opportunity for everyone.

Now -- about me. Since the death of my husband I've communicated with Silversea management several times urging that consideration be given to long-time Venetian Society members who are now penalized by single supplement fares.

I've been traveling with Silversea since 1996 -- lots of days in the bank now -- and not too long ago I contacted my TA to get a quote on a Barbados/Fort Lauderdale voyage. I've been to the Caribbean many times and each time I vow I'll never return (been there - done that and I live in California so I don't need to escape winter's wrath) but that voyage would have given me an opportunity to return to the Cloud, my favorite, and to sail with dear friends.

To my great disappointment I was advised the single supplement on this BORING voyage was 200%, so the single Vista fare was over $9,000 after considering all my Venetian Society discounts. I would buy business class upgrades, so figure almost $11,000. Out of the question for me for a voyage like this in the Caribbean.

So once again, I urge Silversea management to give serious consideration to a new plan to offer single supplement fares to Venetian Society members at reasonable rates. Depending upon the itinerary I suggest 110% to 125% -- any voyage for Venetian members with over 250 days - space available offer to commence at the 90 day cancellation mark and good until sailing (you'll know how many suites you need to fill.) To support my suggestion I offer the following rationale.

1. Your client base is aging (I am, don't know about you), and we are losing our partners, becoming SINGLE.

2. I'm pretty sure your Venetian Society client base has considerable discretionary income.

3. I know I am in a position and love cruising with Silversea enough that I can take advantage of opportunities IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

4. I am pretty sure your demographic studies and historical voyage information might prove that such a program will be profitable.

5. I am pretty sure all the luxury lines are experiencing the same diminution of their loyal client base - thus the need to retain if possible - while recognizing that new cruisers need be added all the time.

So why not take this opportunity for new management to offer something of real value to the people who have made Silversea the success it is -- a win/win for everyone it seems to me. In my opinion, such a program will yield tremendous results in both goodwill and return on investment.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Very good suggestions and reasoning, Mary Ann! Look forward to the response.

Another benefit that I wish SS would consider is free internet after a certain number of days. The response to me when I've previously suggested this is that it is too costly. However, Regent seems to provide it, so why not SS?

Maybe the new leadership is more willing to consider these things.

Dieter

When a VS survey was done about what benes did we (VS members) want, internet was one of the issues. I myself did not vote in favor of free unlimited internet since I believe some, not all, VS members would take full advantage and really eat up the limited bandwidth. People working from their laptops in remote locations have no idea how they are slowing up the connection, if any VS member is using a lot of time. I would support a limited amount of time per bene level. That is my 2 cents!

Duct tape is right about usage slowing things down. Having to pay is the only way to keep the system working at all. If everyone has 'unlimited' and free, the system will cease to work.

We were often up until after midnight to get a fast enough connection to make connecting at all worthwhile. When you are paying by the minute, the speed of the connection makes a huge difference and it was better to wait and do email at midnight and have it take 3 minutes than do it at 7 p.m. and have it take 8 minutes. And that was just email, not surfing webpages with lots of graphics.

On our river cruise, there was free internet which was basically useless. They had stressed it was for email only but at one point someone was receiving full size (i.e. 5 megapixal) photos and it was coming in slower than watching those old dot matrix photos appear with the printhead going by one swipe at a time. (I know this because they came searching for us to help them with the problem they were having downloading.)

With our email we have control and if something seems to be coming down slowly, we can stop the download, read the just the email online and figure out if the attachment is important (95% of the time it isn't) and then delete the email without ever having to look at the attachment. I've had people send me videos as attachments that would choke any system at sea. With 'everyone' having high speed now, people don't think about the bandwidth of what they are sending. And web designers no longer worry about how long it will take a page to load. (That's why we brought a paper map of Africa because I knew google maps would take too long to load.)

But why can't silversea do the free Internet thing if regent can (and without any major slow downs or problems). Currently using my free Internet on regent voyager, and it is almost as fast as at home. I don't try to upload pictures, but I know others that do without problems. So I think silversea's claims are just an excuse.

I wouldn't be against a certain amount of free internet time for Venetian Society members, however it would have to be managed very carefully.

Princess went down this route a few years ago, albeit before the advent of wifi, and found that so many members qualified on some cruises that the service became unusable for everyone else. At this point the amount of free time was severely reduced and constrained by the voyage length.

On the other hand, if you can have a couple of hours free internet just because you are in the Owners Suite, why not for those with 250/500 days.

It would be nice if someone senior from SS actually responded on this issue and looked at the pros & cons.

Again, on regent now, and having no problems. And there are lots of people on this cruise with free Internet.

The issue with riverboats has to do with the locks. We were on AMA last year, and I had no problems except when going through locks.

Again, on regent now, and having no problems. And there are lots of people on this cruise with free Internet.

The issue with riverboats has to do with the locks. We were on AMA last year, and I had no problems except when going through locks.

Yes, it does seem to work great for Regent. We were on Back to Back cruises in May. Many people had free internet. I even kept a blog and was able to upload 15-30 photos to it daily without any problems.

Will be on Silversea for our first time next July. I'm sure we are going to miss the free internet though!

Karen

Internet is not my primary concern. I definitely agree about the single supplement being prohibitive. My current cruise it is 175% and sorry but I think it will be my last at this rate. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike internet service. by traveling solo I do not use additional facilities on the ship nor deprive anyone of their uses. Please SS - recognize us - the VS members who now travel alone. This is NOT our choice!

Regent offers free internet to Silver (21-74 nights) members and above. On any given voyage I suspect there are a LOT of pax who qualify and I've never experienced any significant delays or other problems, always making allowances for the satellite technology of course. Claims that the whole system would crash if too many people use it or download large files are disingenuous IMO.

Good luck with a reduced single supplement. I guess it was worth a try :cool:

Mary Ann --

Your suggestions are very sound and well presented. I know that Crystal has earned a very loyal following among older single guests because their single supplements are usually the best available. Please let post again if you get a response.

Bogey

Mary Ann --

Your suggestions are very sound and well presented. I know that Crystal has earned a very loyal following among older single guests because their single supplements are usually the best available. Please let post again if you get a response.

Bogey

Will do Bogey -- surprised I haven't had the response to date but I'm sure she's very busy. And if there is no response-- you'll hear about that too.

(Thanks for your kind words....)

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Ms. Bettridge:

Congratulations on your new post. I join many long time Silversea cruisers in wishing you great success in this new challenge. Expectations are high -- a great opportunity for everyone.

Now -- about me. Since the death of my husband I've communicated with Silversea management several times urging that consideration be given to long-time Venetian Society members who are now penalized by single supplement fares.

I've been traveling with Silversea since 1996 -- lots of days in the bank now -- and not too long ago I contacted my TA to get a quote on a Barbados/Fort Lauderdale voyage. I've been to the Caribbean many times and each time I vow I'll never return (been there - done that and I live in California so I don't need to escape winter's wrath) but that voyage would have given me an opportunity to return to the Cloud, my favorite, and to sail with dear friends.

To my great disappointment I was advised the single supplement on this BORING voyage was 200%, so the single Vista fare was over $9,000 after considering all my Venetian Society discounts. I would buy business class upgrades, so figure almost $11,000. Out of the question for me for a voyage like this in the Caribbean.

So once again, I urge Silversea management to give serious consideration to a new plan to offer single supplement fares to Venetian Society members at reasonable rates. Depending upon the itinerary I suggest 110% to 125% -- any voyage for Venetian members with over 250 days - space available offer to commence at the 90 day cancellation mark and good until sailing (you'll know how many suites you need to fill.) To support my suggestion I offer the following rationale.

1. Your client base is aging (I am, don't know about you), and we are losing our partners, becoming SINGLE.

2. I'm pretty sure your Venetian Society client base has considerable discretionary income.

3. I know I am in a position and love cruising with Silversea enough that I can take advantage of opportunities IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

4. I am pretty sure your demographic studies and historical voyage information might prove that such a program will be profitable.

5. I am pretty sure all the luxury lines are experiencing the same diminution of their loyal client base - thus the need to retain if possible - while recognizing that new cruisers need be added all the time.

So why not take this opportunity for new management to offer something of real value to the people who have made Silversea the success it is -- a win/win for everyone it seems to me. In my opinion, such a program will yield tremendous results in both goodwill and return on investment.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Have been anxiously awaiting a response to my letter - to no avail. Will post her views if and when received. I wrote four weeks ago -- plenty of time, even for a busy lady, to respond. For a subject of such importance to so many Venetians - it is vexing. We do not like being ignored!:mad:

I was divorced in 1973 and forgot to get remarried. It was a shock to see that I had to pay Royal Viking 200% for a cruise - it was a burr under my blanket for many years. But the choice was to cruise at that tariff or not cruise at all. I could have sailed on cheaper cruises but I made an executive decision that I wanted topnotch quality on a finest-kind ship. I have never regretted my choice.

I kept hearing about upgrades on other cruise lines but, when I boarded an RVL ship, there was a sign posted on the desk at Reception that said, "No upgrades available on this cruise." RVL sold out many of its itineraries and I was glad to have booked a cabin far in advance of the cruise so that I could be onboard. There were few "deals" at RVL because they were small ships at a fine quality therefore quite popular.

It is a difficult decision to pay what seems to be large amounts of $$$ for a single person but, in a business sense, RVL could easily have sold my cabin to two people and, if I wanted to cruise on their ships, the "deal" was that I had to pay for the cabin which was in inventory at a proffered price.

My deepest sympathy to you upon the loss of your husband. I hope you can find peace and resolution with your travel choices.

Ruby

Thanks for your kind words Ruby. I'm quite content - enjoying all my cruising solo but of course miss my guy. Acceptance is a major key to happiness.

I pay 200% WHEN THE CRUISE IS WORTH IT TO ME. Special itineraries - or sailing with friends for a special event. I pay 150% often -- and when I can snag 125% feel myself lucky. My point is that when one racks up hundreds of days at sea as a Venetian member, some consideration should be given.

I'm still waiting for a response -- and if it isn't forthcoming this week I'll contact her again.

Stay tuned.

Mary Ann aka Dusababy

Are they excluding the 5 and 10% additional discounts for days sailed from you? I would look more at the per diem cost and not so much the single occupany sting. We all understand your sentiments, but please follow Saga Ruby's lead.

The puzzling thing about Dusababy's not yet having a reply from Ms. Bettridge is that, at her level, the response would likely be written by an assistant and submitted for her review and signature. Busy as she is, in a well-run business that puts a great deal of stock into public relations and customer loyalty and satisfaction, this kind of paperwork should go like clockwork, and quickly, regardless of who is at the helm.

Are they excluding the 5 and 10% additional discounts for days sailed from you? I would look more at the per diem cost and not so much the single occupany sting. We all understand your sentiments, but please follow Saga Ruby's lead.

Of course they are not -- and I'm very aware - EVERY SILVERSEA CRUISE now totalling 36 - of the per diem cost.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I would say cut her some slack. She is how many months on the job??? Two at most?

All I know is I have been getting 2 letters/brochures a day that have cover letters from her; plus a variety of new, very targeted, brochures. I'm sure she has a lot on her plate and is trying to make an impact as soon as possible internally. Plus, it is the height of their "selling season" so she has to get material out the door and cultivate their top TAs.

I would also say that your letter didn't ask for a response, so it wasn't really time sensitive.

I am sure you will hear from her in time...but it may be a few month from now. I do agree with Seafairer, but that is probably the process after someone has been in place a few weeks and established a process. She may just be starting to do that.

I don't mean to be harsh at all; just realistic.

Herman I'm not taking it personally and I'm not interested in beating a dead horse - but she did set the bar pretty high in responsiveness.

See post NICE STORY ON NEW PRESIDENT OF SILVERSEA - Col. Wes sent her letter of congratulations on July 24 and posted her cordial response on July 30.

She's had plenty of slack from me. And I'm not naive - understand the pressures in the corporate world. It's a month now -- disappointing.

Of course they are not -- and I'm very aware - EVERY SILVERSEA CRUISE now totalling 36 - of the per diem cost.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Nice letter Dusababy, and I don't think I ever told you, but it was nice cruising with you last fall. It certainly will be interesting to see if you get any response and if they will actually consider some kind of singles plan. Good luck!

Nice letter Dusababy, and I don't think I ever told you, but it was nice cruising with you last fall. It certainly will be interesting to see if you get any response and if they will actually consider some kind of singles plan. Good luck!

Thanks Mr. Banjo - I remember you and Mrs. very well.

Be assured I shall post the reply - if and when received.....;)

Archived