Regatta - not as expected so far

Scottygirl1

I, for one, do not expect the butler to wipe my behind, however, they are employees of O and they have jobs to just like the rest of us! It is part of their responsibilities to provide menus for specialty restaurants and follow it with dinner service when requested. I have never been disappointed with the butler service on O. Just like most of the world, they work, get paid and then decide what to do with the money. We spend ours on butler suites and thoroughly enjoy every minute it. Guess that is why there are apples and oranges, we all get to choose what we want!

I've seen a few complaints about butler service which does surprise me.

Initially we really didn't use the butler at all. We were in PH suites on the "R" ships back then.

In Nov 2005 we got an upsell to an OS at the last minute and when I blew out my knee the day before boarding, we really used that butler. And since then, we use them a lot. Not for cocktail parties like some have said, but for en suite breakfasts (and now dinners). DH has even used the shoe polishing service. But as Norte Americanos, we tend not to use them for everything ... I don't want to have someone unpack my luggage or do my laundry!

But they are really worth it, and we haven't seen a difference in service between an OS, a VS, a PH or lower.

I'm surprised to see these comments about butlers really not seeming to want to do anything. I'm not normally a complainer but I do think I would talk to the senior staff if this were to happen.

Our butlers on all of the ships -- so far Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and Marina -- have always given exemplary service.

Mura

thought the PH had large walk in closets???

A couple of the PH'3 have smaller walk-in closets and a slightly smaller cabin; but have certain other advantages over other PH's. Been debated in several threads here.

A couple of the PH'3 have smaller walk-in closets and a slightly smaller cabin; but have certain other advantages over other PH's. Been debated in several threads here.

So the closets are too small to store luggage????

is that what you are saying:confused:

I stored my 2 x26" cases in the closet in the B cabin

I cannot imagine how much luggage the poster above had that it would not fit in any walk in closets :eek:

Just saying

So the closets are too small to store luggage????

I cannot imagine how much luggage the poster above had that it would not fit in any walk in closets :eek:

Just saying

1. Yes; that's what I'm saying.

2. Need a better imagination.

There are two (2) PH cabins, out of the whole bunch, which have smaller closets. Even those, however, are larger than the veranada cabin closets. There's plenty of room for most luggage, although all of ours has always fit under the bed.

The initial mention of luggage, however, did not come up because of space or lack thereof, but because of the cavalier attitude of the butler, off-handedly telling the guest to put their luggage under the bed instead of offering to do it himself.

Don

I guess I am like you sort of a DIY sort of person ;)

It may depend on how the question was put to the butler

If they were still unpacking at the time of the question the butler may not have thought to say 'I will come back & put it under the bed for you" :rolleyes:

2. Need a better imagination.

I guess I do then :D

We only take 2 x 26" cases & 1 small carry-on between us for cruises from 7 -32 days

Maybe on a 35 day cruise I would need more ;)

YMMV ;)

Lyn

I guess I do then :D

We only take 2 x 26" cases & 1 small carry-on between us for cruises from 7 -32 days

Maybe on a 35 day cruise I would need more ;)

YMMV ;)

Lyn

Some of us can be very odd about luggage storage, Lyn.

When we entertain in our room, people always ask for a tour, and it is amazing how many are horrified to see that we store our luggage under the hanging rods in the closet, because some of our clothing touches the cases.

101311.jpg092623.jpg

Apparently, there is a whole school of thought which preaches that the outside of the luggage is very dirty (like the soles of ones shoes).

Some of us can be very odd about luggage storage, Lyn.

When we entertain in our room, people always ask for a tour, and it is amazing how many are horrified to see that we store our luggage under the hanging rods in the closet, because some of our clothing touches the cases.

Apparently, there is a whole school of thought which preaches that the outside of the luggage is very dirty (like the soles of ones shoes).

WOW

That is horrifying :eek::eek:

WOW

That is horrifying :eek::eek:

You do seem especially proud of your own luggage practices. Whatever.

As to, "it may depend on how the question was put to the butler," it was put to him in a polite and courteous manner, as we would speak to any stranger, including those paid to provide service to us. We were completely unpacked and the suitcases were around the bed, waiting to be stowed. As first time cruisers, we assumed that there would be a place aboard to stow luggage. Our particular PH3, with a significantly smaller walk-in closet than all other PH's, save one other that is the same size, would clearly not have been an optimum place for luggage storage. And, silly us, as we were still so agog and wide-eyed in wonder over everything so new and wonderful to us, that the under the bed solution hadn't occured to us. After the butler departed, we place the luggage under the bed, without problem. We really didn't think more about it until the next day, when the butler flatly refused to bring a copy of more than one specialty restaurant menu. When later thinking about the cruise and butler, and in retrospect, we thought it odd that he didn't at least offer to put the luggage under the bed, rather than just pointing to under the bed.

As for our butler, we took the bad with the good (the good included doing a nice job of course-by-course dinner-serving), didn't complain to him or Oceania either onboard or later, and did leave him an extra tip (despite having pre-paid gratuities). We left him the extra tip not because we thought we needed to, but because we thought it might hurt his feelings if we didn't, as we had already left an extra tip for our cabin attendant.

You do seem especially proud of your own luggage practices. Whatever.

I am!!! thank you :)

We left him the extra tip not because we thought we needed to, but because we thought it might hurt his feelings if we didn't, as we had already left an extra tip for our cabin attendant.

Now that is funny :D

To each his own

Lyn

Now that is funny

To each his own

Lyn

1. "thought the PH had large walk in closets???

I can store my luggage in a balcony cabins in my much smaller closet or under the bed"

2. "So the closets are too small to store luggage????

Just saying"

3. "I guess I am like you sort of a DIY sort of person

It may depend on how the question was put to the butler

If they were still unpacking at the time of the question the butler may not have thought to say 'I will come back & put it under the bed for you" :rolleyes:

4. "We only take 2 x 26" cases & 1 small carry-on between us for cruises from 7 -32 days

Maybe on a 35 day cruise I would need more" ;)

5. "WOW

That is horrifying" :eek::eek:

Speaking of funny, as in riotous; somebody posting "to each his own"-- after posting the above. By the way, good thing they don't charge you for use of emoticons.

I guess I wouldn't think of it as hurting his feelings ... more of a way to make him ask himself if he's really doing as good a job as he could be.

Mura

I guess that's true and I don't disagree that this is a better way of thinking. But we received services from the butler for 10 days and to that extent there was a relationship, one in which I just didn't have the stomach to hurt the guy's feelings.

Truth be told, I probably would have done the same. I always find it hard to tell someone "you didn't do the job right!"

Now, DH has no problem in this connection!

Mura

Speaking of funny, as in riotous; somebody posting "to each his own"-- after posting the above. By the way, good thing they don't charge you for use of emoticons.

Is there a point to this post :confused:

Archived