Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

plynn

It was really nice. I would go back there in a minute. They let you off in a small shopping area. You can walk over to a small path and into the beach area. Nice chairs, some shade if you want it. Beautiful sandy beach and even a shipwreck. All courtesy of Carnival. They even have a place for food and drinks but I don't think you can use your sign and sail card

there must be more than one place to see the monkeys, where we stopped on our tour we were able to get very up close and personal with them. I think it was Victor Bodden's monkey business.

Barry

Not sure but I think he owes those monkeys

The issue is Roatan vs Mahogany Bay.

Roatan is wonderful, while Mahogany bay is simply a Carnival village designed to keep you and all your money in Carnival's control. It is not like Roatan, but is nothing more than an extension of the ship just like the private islands with more shops, all run by or leased by Carnival.

The thing to do at Roatan is to get as far away from Mahogany Bay as possible and you will have a great time.

I agree! MB is a very nice beach area, but Roatan is AMAZING. Best zip-lining ever (not at MB either ;)) Get out & explore & enjoy!!

... is there three hours would you say to tour the island via tour just looking at scenerary? Also how was the mosquito situation there, I am highly allergic to bug bites.

Go to Victor Bodden's web site. You can set up a personalized private tour of the island. They will take you anywhere you want to go.

boddentours dot com

I love this port. MB is very pretty although just a touristy place built by Carnival. There is a sky ride over to the beach but the price has gone way up. Gives you all day back and forth on it but it's a simple enough walk. Beach has nice white sand that's like powder.

Victor Boden gets great reviews. I couldn't figure out what to do from the options posted and I don't care about the monkeys since I saw Kelly so badly injured by one. I travel solo and didn't want to end up at Victor's house with a bunch of other travelers who wanted to go there.

I did the Carnival tour which wasn't bad. They take you to a place where a ceremonial type dance is done, men dressed up like women, the story goes, to avoid conscription. Lots of places to get great pictures. Lots of junk for sale and some nice pieces of modeled clay which is painted beautiful colors. It's still junk.

It was storming when we docked the last time and it ws just beautiful! Then the sun came out and it was realy surreal.

Didn't encounter mosquitos.

We did book up Victor Bodden Tours but was told we will be assigned a guide when we meet up at our meeting place he did not state who our driver be. I mentioned we will be meeting around 11 I not one to rush off the ship with all the rest...also told him no iguana's, monkeys, watersports or zip lining wonder where we go lol I love to see the scenery so Im sure that is what he show us. It be nice looking forward to this island but how are the mosquitos there, I am so allergic.

We did book up Victor Bodden Tours but was told we will be assigned a guide when we meet up at our meeting place he did not state who our driver be. I mentioned we will be meeting around 11 I not one to rush off the ship with all the rest...also told him no iguana's, monkeys, watersports or zip lining wonder where we go lol I love to see the scenery so Im sure that is what he show us. It be nice looking forward to this island but how are the mosquitos there, I am so allergic.

Didn't have any problems. Wear a long shirt and pants if you're afraid. Do you have to use an epi-pen? Spray before getting off the ship. In Belize this was a problem, not Roatan when I was there. I'm sure they are there just depends on breeding time and weather.

One time when we were there my wife was bit badly by no see ums (sand flies)

I had bug spray on and was fine.The last time we were there we had no problems

Yes I do have to use epi pen if bitten a few times or bitten by bee/wasp...I think if I stay in the car with the driver and look around with the windows closed and ac we be fine. I will also bring cintronella bracelets in addition to bug stray they seem to help a bit more. I do hate bugs and can't let that stop me from experiencing this island everybody talks so highly of. :)

here is the official website for Mahogany Bay: http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/

personally I enjoyed the private tour my wife and I did more, we got to eat at a great local restaurant, see some amazing views, and get up close and personal with some monkeys :)

Barry

do you know what would happen if you were bit or scratched?

You'd be getting rabies shots when you get home

Exactly look don't touch had a bad experience in Roatan with a monkey. In Thailand they tell you to avoid them at all cost. I agree!

Also, never had a bug issue after 5 visits but some do get eaten by no see ums. Lynda probably about the same as here in Florida. But lovely island even as it slowly becomes a tourist trap. But thats good for the locals in this case. You can bring back some iquana for your after nine snack :)

Went there first time 10 years ago before a stop in grand Caymen. Made GC seem like an arm pit of gouge tourist and go!

Edited by Sh1035

Isla Rotan is beautiful. As some other posters have noted once you dock venture away from Mahogany Bay! This is the best advise for anyone visiting this port. Mahogany Bay is nice, but is not a true reflection of this fine island.

If you want an inexpensive tour, just simply walk out to the taxi stands. They will give you a great rate and stay with you the entire time on the island. Bring you to a beach on the other side of the island. They depend on cruise ships for money, they will not leave you high and dry.

Both times we've been there we've an exceptional time. First time we docked at the original dock, where Royal and others dock now and second time we docked at Mahogany Bay. This is one of my favorite ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Im definately trust you all that Roatan beautiful so we will do a scenic drive tour of the island and looking very much forward to this....any ideas where else to eat lunch or sit somewhere having a cocktail listening to the island music?

Im definately trust you all that Roatan beautiful so we will do a scenic drive tour of the island and looking very much forward to this....any ideas where else to eat lunch or sit somewhere having a cocktail listening to the island music?

I think we will be eating in west end village and hitting the beach at west bay beach

there is tons of video on youtube of both places

Sure, I think of those things sometimes. But your talking to a guy who loves to ride motorcycles, drive too fast, play loud music, jump out of airplanes, and enjoys MMA.

There isn't too much that scares/intimidates me, life's too short not to roll the dice once in awhile. The rewards are usually worth it. ;)

Barry

p.s. I like needles too

The first time we went to Rotan we docked at the old port, the next time we docked at Mahogany Bay. While no Mahogany Bay is not a good representation of Rotan, there is nothing wrong with it if you are just wanting to go to the beach or have a drink etc... But if you are going to tour the island be prepared for a culture shock, it is different Such as a lot of military presence, guards at every store armed with sawed off shotguns. Not only did I cruise there, but I spent 2 weeks there on the main land of Honduras, and it was the same And I am definitely not saying don't tour it or don't take an excursion, I am going back in April 2013 an I am going to tour it again I'm just saying be prepared for the difference.

Mahogany Bay was one of our favorite stops our last cruise. We walked across the street to Clip and Zip and ziplined - our first time, whole family had a blast!! Then we returned to the ship for lunch and afterwards headed to the beach just off the pier for an afternoon of relaxing beach time. - beach was a bit crowded but was really fine with lots of shady options! As with every stop, it's only as good as you make it!