Seabourn vs Silversea

jlbentley3

Having been on Crystal a number of times, including bringing the Symphony from Finland to NYC for its christening, I think I know the ships. First, the ships were NOT designed for open seat dining. Second, the stateroom size has not kept pace with the industry. Third, the dress code, while it may work now, will suck wind when the baby-boomers make their purchasing power known. Country club casual is the new norm--- face it.

The people who will be purchasing upscale cruises in the future, will not stand for Crystal's regimented style. Personally, I want to decide to eat when I want, with who I want and when I want, wearing country club casual smart clothing. I gave up the tie years ago!

You've made some very valid points. I can't see the younger generation of cruise passengers willing to put up with anachronistic formality and lack of choice and flexibility. I'm not just thinking of the high-tech/social media multi-millionaires (who can buy their own yachts anyway), but the mass-affluent boomers, Gen Xers and Millenials. The older, formal style of cruising has to evolve, lest it be relegated to a micro niche market. It's evolve or perish. And I'm sure the cruise lines are well aware of this.

I guess it's been awhile since you cruised with Crystal. Crystal is not as formal as it once was as they have reduced the number of formal evenings. They have also increased the number of casual/informal evenings. Dining has become more flexible. Crystal does have a MDR choice for dinner all you need to do is call the MDR or visit them and tell them what time you would like to come to dinner. We used this last option on our recent cruise and it was never a problem.

I also think that the elimination of formal nights will be coming in the future. Yes, the demographics are changing and I can see CC casual in their future. Many people still like formal and I can take it or leave it. Crystal makes changes slowly i.e. smoking policy and all inclusive.

NYK owns Crystal and they have deep pockets. The Symphony and the Serenity are their pride and joy.

My Crystal cruise on the Serenity next week in the Med has two Formal evenings and ten Casual evenings,that was a surprise as I thought that the Formal evenings would likely be replaced with an Informal dress code or at least two of the Ten casual evenings be replaced with Informal.

I will dress smartly as I do on all cruises and will always wear a jacket at dinner.

My Crystal cruise on the Serenity next week in the Med has two Formal evenings and ten Casual evenings,that was a surprise as I thought that the Formal evenings would likely be replaced with an Informal dress code or at least two of the Ten casual evenings be replaced with Informal.

I will dress smartly as I do on all cruises and will always wear a jacket at dinner.

yes that is really TOO much casual on 5 starred ships and Crystal does not realise it ...

You've made some very valid points. I can't see the younger generation of cruise passengers willing to put up with anachronistic formality and lack of choice and flexibility. I'm not just thinking of the high-tech/social media multi-millionaires (who can buy their own yachts anyway), but the mass-affluent boomers, Gen Xers and Millenials. The older, formal style of cruising has to evolve, lest it be relegated to a micro niche market. It's evolve or perish. And I'm sure the cruise lines are well aware of this.

Just wanted to chime in quickly that I am a millennial (just about to exit my 20s) and started cruising in large part because I like the tradition, formality, etc. (It's hard to find good opportunities for diamonds and pearls even at the fanciest restaurants in LA/SF). I am excited for my first Seabourn cruise next week but disappointed that one optional formal night hardly justifies packing a tuxedo across the atlantic! We've cruised the Cunard grills and there's something special and wonderful about being in an elegant environment with people dressed accordingly. I have few enough vacation days that I'll choose my cruise primarily on schedule and ports-- but I would be sad to see all ships go to country club casual.

Just wanted to chime in quickly that I am a millennial (just about to exit my 20s) and started cruising in large part because I like the tradition, formality, etc. (It's hard to find good opportunities for diamonds and pearls even at the fanciest restaurants in LA/SF). I am excited for my first Seabourn cruise next week but disappointed that one optional formal night hardly justifies packing a tuxedo across the atlantic! We've cruised the Cunard grills and there's something special and wonderful about being in an elegant environment with people dressed accordingly. I have few enough vacation days that I'll choose my cruise primarily on schedule and ports-- but I would be sad to see all ships go to country club casual.

Couldn't agree more. Have done Cunard, Silversea and taking first Seabourn in October.

Couldn't agree more. Have done Cunard, Silversea and taking first Seabourn in October.

You will enjoy. Have you obtained a referral voucher yet for On Board Credit? If not, contact me and I'll explain how it works. I am also in UK. Email using the full stop where I have put (dot) to: grumpy(dot)old(dot)man at btinternet(dot)com.

Having been on both Silversea and Seabourn I can sum it up with - I'd go Silversea again if they picked up the entire tab. Was my Seabourn cruise perfect? No. Did they try to make it that way? Yes. Silversea had surly staff, food that was like a McDonalds "chef" trying to create Michelin starred cuisine and a host of toxic passengers (admittedly the "Mexican food" on Seabourn must have been a sick sick joke by a Taco-Bell cooking reject).

The staff on Seabourn (save 1 bar manager) always had a smile and always tried to accommodate requests, by comparison the Silversea staff was more a grim faced "whaddaya want" crowd. While the food wasn't always perfect on either, I wasn't always constrained to the menu on Seabourn. While many don't appear to care for R2, at least it gives you a taste of the chefs version of other cultures food. You aren't stuck in a MDR v. Italian or MDR v. Asian rut. Further, after shopping with the chef and seeing what he does in every port you know that you're getting fresh food, not everything is pre-provisioned.

To me Seabourn was a 5 (or 6 if you're using that scale) star experience while Silversea was maybe 3. It would be interesting to compare one of the larger SB ships to Silversea, but aside from no SB Square or self stir hot chocolate cubes (:mad:) I'm happy with the size and crew:passenger ratio on the little ships.

In all fairness I don't think it's right to make a blanket comparison based on one cruise on any line. Sometimes things go wrong on one particular sailing and it's not typical of the norm. I happen to much prefer SB to SS but I have sailed on both extensively and SS is hardly a three star line. I do agree the food cannot be compared.

In all fairness I don't think it's right to make a blanket comparison based on one cruise on any line. Sometimes things go wrong on one particular sailing and it's not typical of the norm. I happen to much prefer SB to SS but I have sailed on both extensively and SS is hardly a three star line. I do agree the food cannot be compared.

Fair or not you only get one chance to make a first impression

We are considering a Northern Europe cruise next June and i am having trouble deciding which line to try. Can anyone that has cruised both give me some input?

wripro: In all fairness I don't think it's right to make a blanket comparison based on one cruise on any line. Sometimes things go wrong on one particular sailing and it's not typical of the norm.

Keith1010: I'll repeat what I say often. If we all had the same tastes then there would be one cruise line' date=' one car to drive, one hotel brand, we'd all wear the same clothes and the world would be boring. There are some who prefer one line and that's great. There are others who prefer a variety of lines and that's great too. [/quote']

You have received a wide range of "inputs", plus opinions, etc., etc. Here's my two cents worth. Maybe worth more. Maybe less.

Good and wise insights above by wripro and Keith, plus others.

We have done four different cruises in Europe. Late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles over seven days. Then late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enxperiencing the Baltics and Russia. In 2010, it was July 1-16 on the 296-passenger Silversea Silver Cloud from Copenhagen seeing the Norway Coast, fjords, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc. You can see lots more details from the live/blog connected below. All three of these luxury lines are excellent with great service, fellow passengers, staff, etc. What’s best? The honest answer is . . . “It depends!!!”. Ports, schedules, timing and prices vary much, especially right now with this economy and two of these lines expanding (especially Seabourn) so much. You need to seek what best fits your exact personal needs, budget and interests. We had a great chemistry on the 2010 Norway Silversea cruise due to its length, weather, the people, good luck, etc. Each line can have little problems or issues, but our view is to not waste too much time worrying on the "distractions" unless it is something major and real important. Then last summer, we tried a larger ship with friends that worked out well. A larger ship (including Crystal) has some advantages such as more entertainment and dining place options, but also a few drawbacks.

For northern Europe and the Baltics, you definitely want a cruise that does three-days in St. Petersburg. Consider which other ports are included or not. Not all ports are equal and as important in this area. Where your cruise would start and finish, air connections, etc., can also be important to consider There are a variety of factors. We always want a combination good quality, plus good value!

Finally, in the Baltics, it is very, very port-intensive. A good ship is nice, but in this location, you will not spend as much time on the ship as you might in other parts of the world.

Consider ALL of the factors and cruise lines. One size does NOT fit all.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,240 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,591 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It would be interesting to compare one of the larger SB ships to Silversea, but aside from no SB Square or self stir hot chocolate cubes (:mad:) I'm happy with the size and crew:passenger ratio on the little ships.

I just received a response from Seabourn today that hot-chocolate-on-a-stick has been rolled out on all 6 ships. When did you not get that on the little ships?

Hi folks!

Altough I am a seabourn-fan I tried the crystal serenity in august this years but I can tell you, don´t do it. It is not the seabourn quality - you can read it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425254

It was the first cruise out of 15 I wasn´t sad leaving a ship!

Best wishes

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...
It may be too late, but I'm doing a Seabourn Med cruise in a week and Silversea Singapore to Hong Kong beginning of December.

I'll let you know, I'll be blogging about both.

That is quite a jam packed itinerary. Hope you have fun. There are some great ports there.

• 1 month later...

Just adding my two cents. I'd agree with many that have made posts that the #1 consideration is itinerary. Where do you want to visit? I loved the Pride cruise we took in the Baltics in August but there were four little ports that we visited (Ronne, Mariehamm, Sassnitz, Faaborg) that may not be for those that are looking for history/shopping/sites that are found in the larger cities. Don't discount the little ports though. They can be gateways to some wonderful visits (Ronne and Faaborg). Or they can be dull as they seem (Mariehamm)...

I think food/wine, service, and room layout are all debatable and that all the luxury lines score well in this regard. I have heard from numerous sources both on the ship and from friends that have sailed multiple lines that Seabourns MDR is better than the MDR of any other line.

If these things are important to you then you might want to consider it also. Open dining on Seabourn and fairly easy reservations at R2. The smoking policy on Seabourn is more liberal than any of the other lines.

One bonus with the Pride in the Baltics is that we docked at every port and had excellent positions in Stockholm, Helsinki, and St. Petersburg. In Helsinki we were within walking distance of Senate Square, Upinsky Cathedral, and the outdoor market. In Stockholm and St. Petersburg we met up with Silver Whisper but had a better docking berth in both (the one berth on Gamla Stan in Stockholm and the berth on the English Embankment in St. Petersburg). Not sure if it's because the ship is smaller and fits better or if Seabourn had some preferential treatment but it was nice to be able to get off the ship and walk to the Royal Palace or be blocks away from the Hermitage.

I think size is the dominant reason. Large ships simply cannot fit at the English Embankment and have to dock at the more remote cruise terminal (an improvement over where they used to dock with all the container ships.) So instead of walking off the ship and being in the center of town you have to bus back and forth. Great advantage for Seabourn etc.

I think size is the dominant reason. Large ships simply cannot fit at the English Embankment and have to dock at the more remote cruise terminal (an improvement over where they used to dock with all the container ships.) So instead of walking off the ship and being in the center of town you have to bus back and forth. Great advantage for Seabourn etc.

The Whisper didn't dock at the cruise terminal. She actually sailed up the Neva to where we were docked and spun around and docked across from us on the north bank of the Neva. I have no idea if it's because the Whisper can't fit on the English Enbankment or that we happened to arrive first.

Now in Stockholm we arrived after the Whisper who was already docked. They were in the second spot on the long Statsgarden pier. I found the Skeppsbron pier on Gamla Stan infinitely more convenient for hopping off the ship.

In Copenhagen we had the furthest pier to the South of the terminal right beside the Kastellet.

In Helsinki we got to be in the Northwest spot in the South harbor. This was definitely better than the West Harbor where the large ships dock. The Whisper I think docked in the same area as us but further down the pier.

Amsterdam we were in the middle of nowhere, way to the west of the usual cruise terminal. This was terrible...

I don't think we were any closer than any of the other cruise ships in Tallinn.

I have just picked up this thread and I see Caroldoll is once again saying the cruise on the Pride was not up to her standards. We too were on that same cruise and the FEW

problems thje ship had were quickly rectified and at the end of the cruise everyone had

a generous credit on their final invoice. I gave the cruise a 10/10 which I always have

given to the little sisters. Since the cruise in questionwe have been back on the Pride

four times.

We have sailed on Silverseas Wind, Cloud and Whisper but Seabourn wins hands down

every time.

I have just picked up this thread and I see Caroldoll is once again saying the cruise on the Pride was not up to her standards. We too were on that same cruise and the FEW

problems thje ship had were quickly rectified and at the end of the cruise everyone had

a generous credit on their final invoice. I gave the cruise a 10/10 which I always have

given to the little sisters. Since the cruise in questionwe have been back on the Pride

four times.

We have sailed on Silverseas Wind, Cloud and Whisper but Seabourn wins hands down

every time.

Thank you for posting this. We also have had a wonderful cruise on Pride and would not hesitate to sail on her again in the future.

Archived