Flying into Miami for a FLL departure

Freedom55

WE booked a flight to Miami for a Sailing from FLL on the Eclipse. The price was much cheaper for us. I am looking for suggestions. We will be coming in a day early so do we...

1. Stay in Miami and get transportation to the cruise port in the morning?

or

2. Go directly to a hotel in FLL?

any suggestions on hotel and transportation would be appreciated!

Tom:

If it was me it would depend a lot on how early I was coming in. If you have time to enjoy the afternoon and evening then I'd recommend Miami. We love staying on South Beach area as we enjoy walking the beach area and there a tons of nice restaurants - but when we've done that we've usually planned a couple nights there and not just a quick overnight. The flip side is that the hotels are way more expensive than the hotels near the port in Ft. Lauderdale and some of the less expensive hotels there are older and in need of refurbishment. You'll spend a little more on taxi fares too. I've never bothered staying in other areas of Miami as I've figured that if we weren't in the beach area we might as well head to Ft. Lauderdale and be close to the ship in the AM.

If the extra time in the beach area isn't worth it to you I'd head to Ft. Lauderdale. We'd probably just take a cab for the convenience but there are some shuttle options that might cost a little less if you're willing to take a shared ride if they match you up. Tons of hotels on 17th street near the port, or for a bit more money (But not as much as Miami Beach) you can stay on the Beach a couple of miles away if you'd like to take an afternoon or morning stroll on the beach.

I would suggest going right to Ft. Lauderdale. I know a lot of people love South Beach in Miami, but I would rather be closer to the port that morning you leave. The traffic between

the two cities can be horrendous, even on a weekend...Sunday not so bad early. Plus I find Miami to be very difficult to travel through even though as a Florida resident I have been there many times in 20+ years. There are several nice hotels in Ft. Lauderdale with

port shuttles and there is a lot to do in Ft. Lauderdale with nice beaches, shopping and restaurants.

If you don't mind returning it, I would probably rent a car in Miami and returning it at FLL. It will be less than cab to FLL and possibly less than shared van, plus give you more freedom. Depending on what time you land, I would plan day activities anywhere, then head to a FLL hotel since they tend to be less expensive. A happy medium might be Hollywood or Diana since they are the burbs between Miami and FLL. A couple of the hotels there are not far from the beach if that's your thing.

We are leaving on a cruise from FLL in January and arriving a day early. I hear from other people that the area around the Miami airport is not very hospitable. However, the area around the FLL airport is better. Lots of hotels with shuttle service to the port. The port in FLL is about a $15.00 cab ride.

For our cruise on the Eclipse this past January, we flew in/out of FL but the cruise left from Miami.

We rented a car in FL, had it for the the day/night to see the area and stay in a hotel half way between. The morning of our cruise we dropped off the car and took a short taxi ride to the port.

We had no hassles at all with traffic etc. and the total cost was about $50 including the taxi.

Renting a car is a good idea depending on what you want to do in FLL. Some of the car companies have drop offs near the 17th st. FLL hotels, including Budget and Avis,, and even if they don't it isn't too far from the airport and most, but not all, of them offer free shuttles from the airport to the port. I like to have a car to head to Total Wine for some cruise supplies :rolleyes: and to get to some restaurants or other shopping.

Do consider that many of the hotels charge a hefty fee for parking - so consider that cost too.

I would suggest going right to Ft. Lauderdale. I know a lot of people love South Beach in Miami, but I would rather be closer to the port that morning you leave. The traffic between

the two cities can be horrendous, even on a weekend...Sunday not so bad early. Plus I find Miami to be very difficult to travel through even though as a Florida resident I have been there many times in 20+ years. There are several nice hotels in Ft. Lauderdale with

port shuttles and there is a lot to do in Ft. Lauderdale with nice beaches, shopping and restaurants.

I agree! Get to Fort L the the night before. Then there would be no worries in getting to the ship the morning of the cruise.

I agree--go to FLL--you can enjoy beach area, las Olas or places along 17th St Causeway... take a ride on the water taxi...

airport area in Miami was not very nice, & lately Bayside Marketplace area near the Miami pier is also a bit "scruffy"... if we had to stay in Miami we'd try the Doubletree complex...

Hope you saved alot on airfare to Miami b/c ground transp between maimi airport & FLL port/hotels is pricey!!! rental car sounds good but maybe there is some type of shuttle from the Miami airport...

Hotels are frequently less expensive in Ft. Lauderdale and if you rent a car you will be free to visit the beaches and many attractions in the area. We have used Priceline quite successfully and have usually been able to get a good property in Ft. Lauderdale, Dania Beach, or Hollywood for around $60 a night which included free parking, free internet, complimentary breakfast and, though it won't apply in your instance, the ability to park your car at the hotel at no cost for the duration of your cruise .

We had the opposite issue last year. Flew into FLL and cruised out of MIA. We came in late and stayed at the Homewood Suites (free shuttle from airport) in FLL. Had reservations with SAS for shuttle to POM. Had to make a couple stops to pick up other people, but all in all it was painless, no traffic. Approx 45 min trip to the port.

It's up to you, but I think it will depend on when you arrive. If it's late, just stay close to the airport and leave early in the AM. If not, then consider renting a car or maybe take a taxi (or even limo) to FLL and stay at a hotel that has a free/cheap shuttle to the Port.

To the OP, we are doing just the opposite next April. We fly into FLL, and will stay in Miami the night before our cruise. We fly from San Francisco, and finding a direct flight to FLL was an easy option for us.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jackie and I have the same problem (?) this coming February. We like to stay in Dania at the Best Western or Hilton Garden Inn the night before. There is nice shopping across the street, including BJs for wine and other goodies.

Sometimes the airport shuttle will take us to a restaurant for dinner too, if he's not too busy.

So far, so good! Now all we have to do is get to the hotel from MIA. (Flight there was much less money than to FLL.)

I know there are some restrictions on car service between Broward and Dade counties....just haven't got my head around them yet!

Sheila.

WE booked a flight to Miami for a Sailing from FLL on the Eclipse. The price was much cheaper for us. I am looking for suggestions. We will be coming in a day early so do we...

or

It all depends upon two things. 1) What time your flight arrives in MIA and 2) what you want to see and do prior to your cruises.

If you want to see south beach and Miami and the Fort Lauderdale area and your flight arrive fairly early I'd rent a car at MIA airport that you can drop off at the port the following day. This way you have a lot of flexibility and it really doesn't matter where you stay prior to your cruise. But IMO...if you plan to stay late into the evening in South Beach then I stay there; otherwise, you should just head up to Fort Lauderdale and get a hotel. South Beach Miami and the FLL port are only about a 45 minute drive either up the coast or via the freeway. Just give yourself plenty of time due to traffic. Both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have a lot of see and do so if you have the time it would be worth the effort. You can drive to the port, drop off your luggage off, return the car then hop a shuttle back to the pier.

If your flight gets in late (after 3PM) and/or you just want to crash and rest at the hotel & sightseeing isn't a priority then just get a shuttle from MIA airport and head up to Ft. Lauderdale.

As a Miamian I do have a personal bias :rolleyes:, if you want to lie on the beach, don't care where you eat, you're fine going to FLL. If you are a little more adventurous and want to see South Beach (for the architecture NOT the clubs or food - with a few $$$ exeptions!) or some of the hipper areas like Wynwood or the Design district, with your choice of dining at the restaurant of

some of the best chefs of the moment, then definitely stay in Miami. The drive up to FLL is a breeze on a Saturday or Sunday and most other days not that bad since you are going against traffic. Either way, welcome to S. FLorida!

or

We flew into Miami and stayed at the Marriott Bayside with a nice view of the cruise ships in the bay.

The hotel concierge arranged a car to take the two of us to Fort Lauderdale leaving at 1230 on the Saturday of our cruise; it cost $85 plus tip.

The queues at the port were long when we arrived but we still got to the Constellation by 1345

David and Adele

or

We travel this route frequently when cruising. FLL is our absolute FAVORITE port to sail from. We have stayed on 3 occasions in Miami, bidding the rooms on PRICELINE. Once at the Hyatt in DT Miami had rental car and drove to FLL to sail the next day.....no drop off charge for car. The other 2 times we were sailing out of Miami and just stayed at the airport hotel, using free shuttle and took a cab to the port the next morning.

With having said all that we always based our transportation on which airport is cheapest to get into because the fares change often. If Miami is cheapest we fly there, take the same private shuttle company (I can provide his name and number) who is extremely dependable and bid a PRICELINE hotel in either the DT FLL zone (right at the port) or the BEACH zone or sometimes the AIRPORT zone.

Enjoy your travels.

We generally fly to and from FLL, as that is less expensive for us. We rent a car and drive to Miami and stay for a couple of days, even when cruising out of FLL. In your case, I'd rent a car in Miami, and return it in FLL, and catch one of the shuttles (some rental car companies have them, not all - National does) to the port.

If you stay in Miami for the evening, OUR favorite restaurant is Versailles, on NW 8th Street. The BEST Cuban food, and very affordable prices. It's were the Cuban Nationals and many others eat, and their Cafe Con Leches are wonderful (especially made with Evaporated Milk, which they will do on request).

We stay at the LaQuinta Airport East on LeJuene, and they have always been very nice, and helpful. And for those cruising out of Miami, they have a shuttle to the port.

Have a great time, whatever you decide to do.

Archived