Ulu Knives Questions

Marillian

I want to buy a few Ulu items for myself and as gifts. I've read that some people simply order them online directly from the Ulu website to save packing them for the return trip home.

Do you think this is sort of "cheating" (not actually buying it while in Alaska)?

Is it cheaper to buy them in one of the ports than online? (We won't be anywhere near Anchorage).

Nope, I don't think its "cheating" at all! In fact, I've done it myself - ordered several Ulu sets as gifts from the Ulu Factory! With luggage weight restrictions on flights as they are, I think its a smart thing to do, and have done it several times! Go for it - no one will ever know unless you tell them;)!

Nope, I don't think its "cheating" at all! In fact, I've done it myself - ordered several Ulu sets as gifts from the Ulu Factory! With luggage weight restrictions on flights as they are, I think its a smart thing to do, and have done it several times! Go for it - no one will ever know unless you tell them;)!

Thanks! That was my thinking. Did you notice any difference in the price online than in the shops?

You can buy them in mailing boxes at the shops in ports. They have a space to put the name and address on them and you can easily walk over to the post office and mail them home. This is especially easy in Skagway (as the post office is right there) but probably the other ports as well.

What surprised me was that in order to embark the ship, we had to go through a metal detector, and we were searched for weapons, which seemed to have included knives. And then in Alaska a passenger can go and buy knives and bring them on board. It seems inconsistent to me.

I had read in another thread that the cruise line may confiscate them until the end of the cruise.

I definitely will buy "Made in Alaska" knives. I am leaning towards ordering them online and having them shipped. Saves time, no hassles with metal detectors, and saves space in luggage.

Thank you all for your time in responding!

What surprised me was that in order to embark the ship, we had to go through a metal detector, and we were searched for weapons, which seemed to have included knives. And then in Alaska a passenger can go and buy knives and bring them on board. It seems inconsistent to me.

We bought 3 knives last week while cruising on the Coral Princess. Security at the metal detector told us to lock them in our empty suitcase.

We bought 3 knives last week while cruising on the Coral Princess. Security at the metal detector told us to lock them in our empty suitcase.

While many years ago, RCCL confiscated mine at security until the end of the cruise where they then delivered it to my room.

When sailing on Princess, I have bought pocket-knives on two separate occasions, and an Ulu a couple of weeks ago. Security never said a word about any of them.

A couple months ago on the Radiance ours were held to we actually were walkng off the ship right before we dinged out.

No chance to pack them but did have them in the shopping bag all taped up with our cabin # on them. So did a little shifting and fit in fine on the checked luggage.

We were still #5lbs under on both our bags.

So do those people that you gave Ulus too, do they like them? And use them? I am trying to find something that they will actually use.

Absolutely! We use ours almost every day - great for chopping veggies, fruit, cheese, meats, and makes a wonderful chopped salad! Also great for cutting pizza or stromboli. Every person we gave a ulu to wonders what they ever did without it! Another, relatively inexpensive gift is the bear claws which you can use for tossing/serving salads or pasta.

Thank you, I always wondered if they actually got used. I watched a video of using it, and it sure looks like a handy kitchen gadget. Now to figure out how many I need.It looks like you would want the cutting bowl to go with it.

Thank you, I always wondered if they actually got used. I watched a video of using it, and it sure looks like a handy kitchen gadget. Now to figure out how many I need.It looks like you would want the cutting bowl to go with it.

Check out the coupon books they have in the cruise terminal and also visitor centers of each port. They have coupons that are good for the knock-offs and the real ones.

I want to buy a few Ulu items for myself and as gifts. I've read that some people simply order them online directly from the Ulu website to save packing them for the return trip home.

Do you think this is sort of "cheating" (not actually buying it while in Alaska)?

Is it cheaper to buy them in one of the ports than online? (We won't be anywhere near Anchorage).

It's not cheating and they will take them when you board back on the ship with them until the end of the cruise. Also they will have to be in checked luggage when you fly home. I ordered mine ahead of time from Tongrass Shipping Company but you can also go there if you are in Ketchikan and for 9.99 they will ship all of your purchases from their four different shops in Ketchikan home for that price. I bought all of my souvenirs (and they had some great inexpensive ones- calendars, mugs, tshirts, sweatshirts, hats, ulu's etc) I had 2 huge boxes and they shipped both for the total of $9.99!

So do those people that you gave Ulus too, do they like them? And use them? I am trying to find something that they will actually use.

Mom has used one for almost 30 years. Got my elk antler handled ulu in Icy Straight much cheaper than anywhere else. When you go there test them out. There is a reason some cost more than $50. I found many of the cheaper ones uncomfortable to use with flimsy blades. Spent about 15 minutes testing the feel of the handles.

I use mine on a regular plastic cutting board.

Another idea is to check out some other native shops. I picked up some salves that are really nice. Got mine at the top of Mt Roberts.

Well on my Disney cruise they confiscated them as you boarded and had a table setup on the pier at the end of the cruise so you could pick them up before customs.

However I purchased all my souvenirs including a couple of Ulus, walked over to the post office and shipped them all home for less than the baggage fee the airline would charge. ALL my souvenirs. I will admit that the Tee shirts had a slight fishy smell, but one wash took care of that. :p

I'm thinking about doing the same thing from Italy, but I am not sure about the Italian Post Office... :(

Archived