Isn't Anyone Else Upset

geekguy1

How would Carnival know if your travel agent gave you a non-Carnival excursion?

Because people have big mouths and it wouldn't be a secret for very long. Travel agencies won't risk being banned by Carnival - which means that they not only can't book Carnival cruises, but any cruise line under the corporate umbrella (i.e. Princess, etc).

It's not worth it for the TA's to take that risk.

Because people have big mouths and it wouldn't be a secret for very long. Travel agencies won't risk being banned by Carnival - which means that they not only can't book Carnival cruises, but any cruise line under the corporate umbrella (i.e. Princess, etc).

It's not worth it for the TA's to take that risk.

Seriously? They can't tell agents what they can and can't give their clients. You really think Carnival is going to take the time to chase down every agency out there who is selling their product anyway? Free Enterprise people.

Seriously? They can't tell agents what they can and can't give their clients. You really think Carnival is going to take the time to chase down every agency out there who is selling their product anyway? Free Enterprise people.

Carnival is very serious about this. My warehouse travel club no longer sells Carnival cruises because of this new policy. The club always beat Carnival's cruise pricing and added several great perks to every trip. Carnival will not be undesold and yes, the Carnival Corporation is that powerful. TA's have contracts with Carnival, either you comply or you don't sell their product. My warehouse club is the largest worldwide and they don't let any company dictate terms to them, it's the other way around...so bye bye Carnival. By the way, "free enterprise" is just an expression.

How would Carnival know if your travel agent gave you a non-Carnival excursion?

This policy has nothing to do with the excursions, it's the cruise fare. Carnival really doesn't care who you book your excursions with, they don't make any real money on the excursions. Their revenue comes more from the onboard spending than anything else.

I thoroughly agree with you that this is a ploy to increase Carnival's profit at the expense of both TAs and their customers. I also agree that Carnival has no right to tell a TA how to conduct their business, which is why I filed an FTC complaint for Restraint of Trade issues against them and also requested that my Representatives in Congress look into the matter. Any amount of trouble I can cause Carnival is worthwhile.

Finally, while this may have been discussed before, bringing it up again keeps it in front of potential customers, who hopefully will choose more customer-friendly cruise companies with whom to travel.

They are doing nothing illegal and you are wasting the time of some poor intern with your congressman.

You don't think their lawyers reviewed this????

Situations like this waste reps time. They will never see it anyway.

If it upsets you just go to another line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

No, not all. It will only show you ten available cabins online. If you are cruising with a group of people and want to book five cabins in a row, you have to do each one individually. While you are trying to book the five cabins, someone else takes some of them. If you call and try to book them, they expect you to put the down payment on all five of them. If you book through a TA, they call, put a hold on the five cabins, then each couple sends in their downpayment. We would never think of booking ES. Too many restrictions. If there is a price drop before final payment, TA always honors it.

I tried a PVP once and she was bound and determined to get me to book a guarantee instead of a specific cabin. She said people were crazy for not booking guarantee. After arguing for five minutes, she finally let me book what I wanted. I then told her there were four other couples that wanted the next four cabins from ours. She said I would have to put the down payment on them to hold them. I hung up and immediately called our TA and had ours transferred to her. She got a hold put on the other four cabins. I will never deal with them either through a PVP or online.

lol, did you know that all rates are supposed to get price drops up until final payment.. .. You are sadly mistaken if you think your TA is doing you a favor to do her job.

There are plenty of PVPs that are great. I wish mine could book all cruise lines I tell her. I never had a TA as good as she is.

You are generalizing because you didnt like one PVP you tried to use. Seriously, you do know how it sounds to post like all PVPs arent good because one you used didnt suit you. Some of us swear by ours. Just having one experience hardly makes you know much about all PVPs... to judge them.

Smacking myself upside the head.

btw my TA still is discounting cruises his own way.

I cant believe because some TAs arent discounting, people are contacting their congressmen. Really??!! I use my PVP when I can.. and also my TA.. I use both. For different reasons. My PVP gives me the best service .. the TA gives me the best deals.

Thank you ! , One LESS CRY BABY ON MY CRUISE. I just don't see why a lot of you folks find so many problems with booking a cruise.I book ES every trip and always get on board credit .I'm so HAPPY . NO PROBLEM HERE.

The problem that you can't quite manage to see is that your OBC will be disappearing, thanks to Carnival's new policy. So, stay happy, ignore reality, and stay away from any cruises I'm going on.

Excuse me Jerry.....vegadog will be staying away from any cruises that you will be on for two reasons. One, he stated that he books ES on every trip, so he will be cruising exclusively on Carnival. Two, you already stated in your original post that you will no longer be cruising on Carnival.

Out of curiosity, if you're no longer sailing on Carnival, why bother taking the time to peruse the Carnival boards and try to stir things up?

No, not all. It will only show you ten available cabins online. If you are cruising with a group of people and want to book five cabins in a row, you have to do each one individually. While you are trying to book the five cabins, someone else takes some of them. If you call and try to book them, they expect you to put the down payment on all five of them. If you book through a TA, they call, put a hold on the five cabins, then each couple sends in their downpayment. We would never think of booking ES. Too many restrictions. If there is a price drop before final payment, TA always honors it.

I tried a PVP once and she was bound and determined to get me to book a guarantee instead of a specific cabin. She said people were crazy for not booking guarantee. After arguing for five minutes, she finally let me book what I wanted. I then told her there were four other couples that wanted the next four cabins from ours. She said I would have to put the down payment on them to hold them. I hung up and immediately called our TA and had ours transferred to her. She got a hold put on the other four cabins. I will never deal with them either through a PVP or online.

Everyone has their own preferences. I just booked 3 cabins in a row. We found the cabins in a row. All of us got on line and booked them using early saver. Throughout the next few months there were many price drops. We filled out the form online and immediately were given the price drops. I was amazed at how easy it was. (I like some aspects of Royal Caribbean better, however, in the price drop area...Carnival was much easier)

lol, did you know that all rates are supposed to get price drops up until final payment.. .. You are sadly mistaken if you think your TA is doing you a favor to do her job.

There are plenty of PVPs that are great. I wish mine could book all cruise lines I tell her. I never had a TA as good as she is.

You are generalizing because you didnt like one PVP you tried to use. Seriously, you do know how it sounds to post like all PVPs arent good because one you used didnt suit you. Some of us swear by ours. Just having one experience hardly makes you know much about all PVPs... to judge them.

Smacking myself upside the head.

btw my TA still is discounting cruises his own way.

I cant believe because some TAs arent discounting, people are contacting their congressmen. Really??!! I use my PVP when I can.. and also my TA.. I use both. For different reasons. My PVP gives me the best service .. the TA gives me the best deals.

You said it "supposed to". Not all do. I am not saying that she is doing me a favor. I'm saying she does her job. Period!

It sounds the same way that you say that just because your PVP is great that all PVP's are great. If I touch something that's hot and I get burned, I know enough not to touch that again. I know I have good luck with my TA so why would I want to keep trying until I find a good PVP. I've got better things to do with my life.

My TA gives us both the best deals and the best service. It's easier to deal with her.

Am I to guess that you smacking yourself your head is telling me you are disgusted with my way of thinking just because you don't agree with it? Fortunately not all people think like you do.

The larger companies make money on volume. They prebook houndreds of rooms every month and lock in a price. They can release these rooms if not sold out 30 days before sailing. This is the unfair part. Smaller agencys could not get colse to the prices because of the deep discounts so in turn the would give OBC to get your business. Most of the time it was close to 80% of commisions just to get a customer. Try getting a price reduction through a larger agency. It will never happen.

Find some one who will work with you and get you the best price. If they cant do that then try someone else.

We will continue to use our TA in the future. They do not only book with Carnival but other cruiselines as well. We have never been dissatified with their services and I can always count on their help even if we booked a cruise on our own.

They have offered us some great deals with other cruises. IMO, Carnival is only hurting themselves in the long run. If you enjoy handling your own cruise and all that is involved, more power to you. I enjoy looking at excursions and planning my vacation that way.

The larger companies make money on volume. They prebook houndreds of rooms every month and lock in a price. They can release these rooms if not sold out 30 days before sailing. This is the unfair part. Smaller agencys could not get colse to the prices because of the deep discounts so in turn the would give OBC to get your business.

Too bad. The fact is most people could care less if a small agency goes under, the important thing is a cheaper price. Family owned markets have been pushed out by Walmarts, small hardware stores replaced with Home Depot's, stationary stores replaced with Office Depots. For the travel agents who say it is not fair, hey- it is a tough economy out there, if you can't make it, find a different line of work. Most people would rather save $50 than subsidize an archaic mode of purchasing travel.

If you shop at any of these stores, a good reason why is that they had cheaper prices than the small shops. Small, walk in travel agencies are as relevant today as typewriter repair shops.

The last time I bought anything from a B&M TA was an airline ticket back in the mid '80s.

No regrets bypassing them.

Here is what I've been able to learn about cruise pricing.

When you book with a TA, they see the following itemized charges on their agency billing.

ITEMIZED CHARGES

All Charges are quoted in USD

CRUISE CHARGES

CRUISE RATE $1,560.00
<== Commissionable rate

NON-COMMISSION FARE $658.00
<== This is port fees

FEDERAL TAXES/FEES $399.08

SUMMARY CHARGES

AMOUNT TO COLLECT $2,617.08

COMMISSION $249.60
<== 16% of Commissionable rate

PAYMENTS RECEIVED $800.00

NET BALANCE DUE $1,567.48

The Cruise Rate + Non-Commission Fare is what you see as the price of the cruise before taxes.

The 16% commission is what was used to provide OBC and gifts to help get business. Small agencies could not afford to compete and complained, thus the change.

Am I the only one really upset at Carnival's new "Value Add" (!!) policy that no longer allows travel agents to provide cash rebates for cruisers like me that neither need, nor wish to pay for, hand-holding or extra services? As far as I'm concerned, my previous Carnival cruise was both my first and my last. How consumer unfriendly can you be?

I totally agree with this policy. This takes away the probability of some getting better deals then others. Even's the playing field.....

We have never used a TA either book directly with cruise line or we have used the gnome website on occasion when ES is no longer being offered. So cant say I will miss extra perk offered by a TA. Prefer to be in control of my own bookings. Last time we did ES on Destiny got a minor OBC but better than trying to work thru a middle person, may not have gotten it since it was available for such a short time.

Patiently watching for a OBC on the Breeze. Hoping we may be lucky again.

Am I the only one really upset at Carnival's new "Value Add" (!!) policy that no longer allows travel agents to provide cash rebates for cruisers like me that neither need, nor wish to pay for, hand-holding or extra services? As far as I'm concerned, my previous Carnival cruise was both my first and my last. How consumer unfriendly can you be?

Honestly, this policy was put in place a couple of years ago and obviously did not take so they are having to reintroduce it. I wish they would just let the free economy work. If someone wants to rebate their commission it should be their business not Carnival's as it is the TA'a money.

I hope combining a lot of replies works!

This policy has nothing to do with the excursions, it's the cruise fare. Carnival really doesn't care who you book your excursions with, they don't make any real money on the excursions. Their revenue comes more from the onboard spending than anything else.

Based on the cost of their excursions, versus what I find on my own, excursions are a big profit item. Still, like you said, onboard spending is probably their biggest money maker.

They are doing nothing illegal and you are wasting the time of some poor intern with your congressman. You don't think their lawyers reviewed this????

If it upsets you just go to another line.

You say they're doing nothing illegal; I have a different opinion, namely that this is a classic case of Restraint of Trade, and I'm doing what I can to validate my case. In the meantime, I will be going to different lines: hitting them in the wallet is always the best offense.

Excuse me Jerry.....vegadog will be staying away from any cruises that you will be on for two reasons. One, he stated that he books ES on every trip, so he will be cruising exclusively on Carnival. Two, you already stated in your original post that you will no longer be cruising on Carnival.

Out of curiosity, if you're no longer sailing on Carnival, why bother taking the time to peruse the Carnival boards and try to stir things up?

As I stated, I am angry at their new policy, and wish to have them see my version of things which will happen if I can help convince enough people to drop booking Carnival cruises. As I said to Gailerina: hitting them in the wallet is alwsys the best offense. Are you also upset with me for trying to force Carnival to act legally and with good business sense - maximize profits by offering the best deals, not by restricting how TAs sell the product?

Stock brokers are pretty much extinct. Looks like TA's may be heading the same way with the internet. I never found a TA who worked as hard at saving my money as I do.

I'm with you 100% on this.

Too bad. The fact is most people could care less if a small agency goes under, the important thing is a cheaper price. Family owned markets have been pushed out by Walmarts, small hardware stores replaced with Home Depot's, stationary stores replaced with Office Depots. For the travel agents who say it is not fair, hey- it is a tough economy out there, if you can't make it, find a different line of work. Most people would rather save $50 than subsidize an archaic mode of purchasing travel.

If you shop at any of these stores, a good reason why is that they had cheaper prices than the small shops. Small, walk in travel agencies are as relevant today as typewriter repair shops.

The last time I bought anything from a B&M TA was an airline ticket back in the mid '80s.

No regrets bypassing them.

Whether you're happy, displeased, or neutral on this issue, I think dclark has gotten it correct. I would still mention that there are still a number of small shops, even in my urban area; they survive by offering services to those people that need or want them, but they don't require that I pay for services I don't use.

The 16% commission is what was used to provide OBC and gifts to help get business. Small agencies could not afford to compete and complained, thus the change.

As many of us noted in these messages, we doubt saving the small agencies has anything at all to do with Carnival's new policy, but rather it is aimed at directly improving Carnival's own bottom line -- at the expense of those same agencies.

I totally agree with this policy. This takes away the probability of some getting better deals then others. Even's the playing field.....

Paying full fare - no discounts allowed - would also level the playing field. Are you for doubling your costs?

Honestly, this policy was put in place a couple of years ago and obviously did not take so they are having to reintroduce it. I wish they would just let the free economy work. If someone wants to rebate their commission it should be their business not Carnival's as it is the TA'a money.

I completely agre, and I'm amazed at how many seem to feel otherwise, especially the ones who don't care about losing a few hundred dollars OBC. Oh well...

To all those who have TAs that give them excellent service, more power to you. I had a TA like that many years ago, and never minded the extra money her bookings cost me, because she was worth it. Unfortunately, I have not had any similar success lately.

I keep looking for a reason to use a TA and this isn't helping.. I've cruised with CCL & NCL . Found Awesome deals by booking on their websites. I've called TA's in the past and asked what deals they could get me and they didn't even come close to the price on the internet.

So can anyone give me a reason why I would want to use one, its just a couple clicks on the computer and print your boarding pass/luggage tags and your done .. simple

Your cruise history shows one Carnival cruise in 2000? Why would anyone care if you don't cruise CCL's anymore?

I keep looking for a reason to use a TA and this isn't helping.. I've cruised with CCL & NCL . Found Awesome deals by booking on their websites. I've called TA's in the past and asked what deals they could get me and they didn't even come close to the price on the internet.

So can anyone give me a reason why I would want to use one, its just a couple clicks on the computer and print your boarding pass/luggage tags and your done .. simple

There are many cruise oriented websites that offer OBC or other incentives such as pre-paid gratuities or free insurance. If you just call your local TA, they are not going to be able to get you the same deal because of volume. The larger on line agencies kick back part of their 16% commission through the OBC or other incentives to obtain business. They then get a bonus check from the different cruise lines at the end of the year based on the volume of business that they wrote. The small mom & pop agencies can't compete. I have always found either a cheaper deal through a comparison website that I am not allowed to mention here or the same price as booking directly on Carnival's website with maybe 25 or 50 in OBC as a thank you for my business. The new policy being implemented by Carnival will eliminate the discounting and thus the consumer will no longer even get 25 bucks pp in OBC as a thank you. It sucks. My upcoming Breeze cruise includes an 8% discount off of the base cruise rate, which is 50% of the 16% commission that the agency was getting.

With all due respect, I must ask a question. Why do you give a rat's behind what Carnival's policy is?!?:eek: You have cruised Carnival only once....12 YEARS ago in 2000! Since then you have cruise many times.:D

Archived