Taking kids out of school ?

SportsMomof4

The problem with American schools is simple.....education is not as important as many claim it is.

Schools and teachers have no support. When I read about the things teachers pay out if their own small pockets it's heartbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Agreed! Not to get political, but it sickens me to hear some of the stuff our tax dollars are spent on instead of education. One of my teacher friends, a couple years ago they had to start taking furlough (unpaid) days, but that same year, they re-carpeted the whole school, even though it didn't need it. :confused: Meanwhile, she spends hundreds of dollars out of her own pocket for her classroom items she needs.

Just another note....I have noticed (not by any posters here), but among other parents in my area....people are very willing to take kids out of school for vacations and state that the school better be cooperative. These same people put tons of time into scheduling vacations around the kids' sports team schedules, because the coach doesn't tolerate absences. Kind of funny!

The best post here :)

Just goes to show what people think is important.......

Yes, it's YOUR kid and YOUR vacation....and I'm sure your child is a gifted genius....on the honor roll....and will be a college graduate.

But...for the most part....everything is relative....and your child is nothing more than a gifted college grad genius in a "dumbed down educational system". This means, put into "the world system"....the bottom of the barrel.

When is the last time you've taught? Look up "teaching to the test", even the President of the US criticized it! :rolleyes:

To be fair, you never answered my question on how much time you get to spend in a classroom, but I'd be happy o answer yours, since you seem insistent on questioning my credibility. After spending more than 20 years as a teacher and then becoming a principal, I made it a point to spend hours of every day in classrooms, coaching teachers, and observing student learning, I have my Masters Degree, and my CAGS. I am a Nationally Board Certified Teacher, and an certified to mentor new teachers, as well as new principals. I have written curriculum for multiple grade levels as well developing assessments. I have trained mentors, and provided training to over 200 teachers (as recently as a year ago). I am certified in two states as a teacher, principal, director/coordinator and special education director. I currently supervise new teachers at the college level. I teach model lessons in real classrooms as examples. I work hard to overcome the stereotype (and misconceptions of those higher ups, such as our President :rolleyes:). Those who are well-educated in sound educational practices know that teaching to the test is not in the best interests of any child.

So back to my question, how much time do yo spend in the classroom?

The best post here :)

Just goes to show what people think is important.......

Yes, it's YOUR kid and YOUR vacation....and I'm sure your child is a gifted genius....on the honor roll....and will be a college graduate.

But...for the most part....everything is relative....and your child is nothing more than a gifted college grad genius in a "dumbed down educational system". This means, put into "the world system"....the bottom of the barrel.

Well, my kids will be missing Dance and Swim also, besides school, so not everyone schedules around sports but not school. (Both Dance and Swim are competition level, almost daily practices, not just "lessons"). And, before you start calling me a "Stage Mom", these are the sports my children choose to do, I do support them, but do not force them to take them. I do follow the "if you make a commitment, you need to follow it through", but they are free to choose after that certain commitment (whether it's a swim meet or dance competition) is over whether they wish to continue.

As a past school board member I've heard it all.

Parents have every excuse in the book for their childs failures..none of which happen to be their fault or the childs fault. It is everyone else..don'tcha know.:rolleyes:

Parents will lie for their kids...let the kids sign report cards...and take them out of school or let the kids cut school at the drop of a hat. Then they have the temerity to complain that their kid is failing?:eek:

Fact is that American students pale in comparison to their counterparts and it isn't going to change any time soon unless parents begin to demand better from their kids. I'm guessing that won't happen because a majority of them are more interested in being their kids "friends" instead of actually parenting.

Justifying school year family vacations as "educational" is ridiculous and only serves to reinforce the idea that kids can get away with most anything with the help of the people who are supposed to be making sound decisions on their behalf.:rolleyes:

How many of you take your children out of school to cruise? If you do, does the school give you a hard time?

We have never done it but thinking it's a lot more affordable with a family of 6.

Would love to hear what others think :confused:

It is not what others think. Either the school, friends, family other cruisers, etc. It also does not matter how well your child is doing in school. To me, it is what am I teaching my child, that it is okay to skip out on your responsibilities. Sorry, but I do disagree with it!

The school district/county puts out a school calendar for a reason. When you put your child in school, you inherently agree to follow the school calendar. If you want to break the calendar, go for it, it's your kid. Don't expect the teacher to have to accommodate your choice to take vacation on a school week.

Now if you want to home school your kids using a private home schooling organization that lets you go at your own pace, that's a different animal.

This it exactly - if you take your child out of school to go on vacation, you are teaching your child that it's OK to break the rules.

just another note....i have noticed (not by any posters here), but among other parents in my area....people are very willing to take kids out of school for vacations and state that the school better be cooperative. These same people put tons of time into scheduling vacations around the kids' sports team schedules, because the coach doesn't tolerate absences. Kind of funny!

*like*

as a past school board member i've heard it all.

Parents have every excuse in the book for their childs failures..none of which happen to be their fault or the childs fault. It is everyone else..don'tcha know.:rolleyes:

Parents will lie for their kids...let the kids sign report cards...and take them out of school or let the kids cut school at the drop of a hat. Then they have the temerity to complain that their kid is failing?:eek:

Fact is that american students pale in comparison to their counterparts and it isn't going to change any time soon unless parents begin to demand better from their kids. I'm guessing that won't happen because a majority of them are more interested in being their kids "friends" instead of actually parenting.

Justifying school year family vacations as "educational" is ridiculous and only serves to reinforce the idea that kids can get away with most anything with the help of the people who are supposed to be making sound decisions on their behalf.:rolleyes:

*like like like like like*!!!!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
To be fair, you never answered my question on how much time you get to spend in a classroom, but I'd be happy o answer yours, since you seem insistent on questioning my credibility. After spending more than 20 years as a teacher and then becoming a principal, I made it a point to spend hours of every day in classrooms, coaching teachers, and observing student learning, I have my Masters Degree, and my CAGS. I am a Nationally Board Certified Teacher, and an certified to mentor new teachers, as well as new principals. I have written curriculum for multiple grade levels as well developing assessments. I have trained mentors, and provided training to over 200 teachers (as recently as a year ago). I am certified in two states as a teacher, principal, director/coordinator and special education director. I currently supervise new teachers at the college level. I teach model lessons in real classrooms as examples. I work hard to overcome the stereotype (and misconceptions of those higher ups, such as our President :rolleyes:). Those who are well-educated in sound educational practices know that teaching to the test is not in the best interests of any child.

So back to my question, how much time do yo spend in the classroom?

2-3 times per week to evaluate teachers to see if they should be brought up on charges for incompetency!

Agreed! Not to get political, but it sickens me to hear some of the stuff our tax dollars are spent on instead of education. One of my teacher friends, a couple years ago they had to start taking furlough (unpaid) days, but that same year, they re-carpeted the whole school, even though it didn't need it. :confused: Meanwhile, she spends hundreds of dollars out of her own pocket for her classroom items she needs.

Correct!!! Most of my friends teach elementary so it can be a little harder :(

Fact is that American students pale in comparison to their counterparts and it isn't going to change any time soon unless parents begin to demand better from their kids. I'm guessing that won't happen because a majority of them are more interested in being their kids "friends" instead of actually parenting.

Like!!

I've stated what happen to my friend in college....that's the real world in a sense. I think more teachers should do nothing to help a child when a I aren't wants to take a vacation....see how helpful classmates are....because in the real world coworkers may help you catch up but rarely will a boss.

Sorry as a teacher you feel put out by parents trying to connect with their children. We took our children out approx. every other year for their entire school time....never had a teacher give us a hard time and oh by the way...they both had partial scholarships to college and they both did post grad work...one has a master the other her PHd both of which were paid for by grant money so I think maybe we did the right thing. Sorry if it inconvienced anyone

I couldn't agree more. My oldest just graduated with honors (on top of being captain of the soccer team, leading worship in church, being in a band, and all other manner of extra curricular activities). My youngest two are strait A students in all above grade level gifted programs.

We have taken them out for many a family vacation and it has never hurt them yet.

Nice ad hom there - all people who take their kids out of school are heathens and our kids are problems. In my experience actually, most of us who do tend to have above average kids intellectaully, and bahviorally.

Teaching to standardized tests, wasteful administration, and an overall failing of the educational system is far more at fault than the children or parents.

Well put! I would have NEVER thought of taking my daughter out of school for "vacation". As she grew older, she strived for perfect attendence. Teach responsilbilities and that vacation is just that ,a vacation for living up to your responsililities!

Taking students out of school also depends on the school system. Locally, students can miss 5 days per marking period with a parent note. More than 5 days and they fail the marking period. Each student is also permitted to take 5 days of family vacation each year, as long as its pre-approved by the principal. Yes, the students need to make up the work. Just make sure your plans fall within the guidelines of the local system.

Take your kids on the cruise.

Nurses will say quit smoking its bad for your health, Cops say speeding is against the law and teachers say being in school is important. We all make choices and must live with any consequences.

It's funny that the teachers/administrators will pontificate that learning primarily happens in school, that it is disruptive to remove them for a vacation. What happens when your child's teacher goes on maternity leave. Thats 6-12 weeks of substitute teaching. In other words, forget quality, continuity and concern for your child's personal development. What happens when your teacher's husband has to move after christmas break and is forced to quit.

Most of what my children learn occurs at home. 100% of what they learn in school can certainly be taught at home. Everything they learn at school is reinforced at home in the form of homework. How hard is it for the teacher to give the homework out to the student prior or certainly after the cruise???

Teaching can be rewarding as a profession. But teaching is a job. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something.

I have always felt that travelling IS an education.

Tell the teacher that your child will be travelling, ask the teacher to send home the homework for the week.

I would ask nobody's permission to take my child somewhere. I'm responsible for that child. The school's only real concern is the federal monies (aka OUR's (the taxpayers)) that they might not get for the lower attendance that week.

Enjoy without any guilt whatsoever. You are providing a better education than they can.

Cheers

dk

Absolutely! My son is a 6th grader and he will be missing school for our cruise in Sept. I will be requesting his homework ahead of time but will not be asking permission.

I the parent always decided what was and wasn't important for my child: He failed spatial relations along with cutting and pasting early on: By 5th grade I chose his teacher based on his need for a structured classroom: ( His sisters had a teacher who loved to teach by partying and field trips:)

Son and 6 other boys were put in an excellerated math and science program that year) : On the other hand ..the day the construction guy showed up a few days earlier then anticipated to dig the hole for our swimming pool , I called the school to let them know he wouldn't be in until just prior to lunch . That as far as I was concerned watching a D9 shovel dig a "perfect" hole was an education in itself: The schools reply was, they were sorry the other boys hadn't had advanced warning so they could be there too:

Knowing your children and what they can handle has alot to do with 'out of school time". Rural area mom:)

Very bold posting this! My wife, who is a teacher, would probably agree with everything you said!

From my point of view, I have always taught my kids that school was their responsibility. Work was mine,. I don't call in sick unless I am actually sick. My kids knew that they could only miss school if they were sick. My kids are adults now and take their responsibilities seriously. To me it is a matter of ethics. I don't skip work to go on vacation and my kids didn't skip school to go on vacation.

IMHO the decision to take children out of school is personal and should be dependant on the following:

First...what are your school's rules? Our school excused vacations and the children had 2 days for every day missed to make up the work on their return. We always informed the school at least a month or more in advance. Some teachers gave them work ahead of time and some gave them work afterward. It was the kids responsiblity to do the work. It was my responsibility to make sure they got it done and to help if they had questions. They always got the work done and their grades never dropped. To me that is showing responsibilty. How is sitting in a classroom showing responsibility. Some kids can sit in a classroom and still not get their school work done. How is that being responsible? If your school does not excuse a vacation then you need to think of how your decision will impact your child's grades. I personally would not have pulled them out if it wasn't excused.

Second...can your child handle being pulled out of school for whatever period of time you are taking them out? I'm going to say it, you may not believe me, but the facts are the facts. My kids are A students, who can study and learn on their own. DS just graduated from high school in the top 10% of his class and is starting college a semester ahead from his AP classes and dual enrollments. DD is following closely in his footsteps. Their grades never once dropped after a vacation and they always made up all their work. If they hadn't proved they could do that in their early elementary grades, I would have never continued to take them out. Some kids can not handle it. My kids did.

Third...is your child willing to make up the work missed for whatever period of time you are taking them out. When my kids were younger, I pulled them out for a week of vacation without problems. When I did so the year DS was in 7th grade, he asked that we limit vacations during the school year for 2 reasons. One, it was getting more difficult to make up the work for a whole week. He did do it and his grades didn't drop, but it did become a much harder burden for him. Two, he had started school sports and he was punished by the basketball coach for missing a couple practices and a game (even though our vacation was booked and paid for long before he made the basketball team). He was no longer willing to take a week off at time but we were able to compromise and take a day or two off around holidays that would work for his schedule.

For those who sit in judgement saying that kids should only have vacations during the school holidays no matter what....get off your high horse. Some families can not schedule the time during the school holidays because of the parents work schedule. We have run into that problem many times. Some parents can not afford to take the vacations they want to give their families during the peak school holiday times. If their schools allow it and if their kids are willing and able to make up the work, who are you to judge their decisions on what is best for their family.

IMHO the most important thing to us is family bonding time. We have our kids for such a short period of time. You support them by working. You support them by encouraging them to be active in sports. You support them in getting a good education (whether in the classroom or not). That leaves (for us anyways) very little time for family bonding. We have so much quality bonding time when we vacation, that I would not give it up for anyone. If our work schedule or finances dictated that we take our kids our of school for a few days, if the school excuses them and if they make up the work without having their grades suffer....then we are going on vacation during the school year.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Is this sarcasm or are you the teacher competency police??? :confused:

If you were a teacher you would know. The other days are held in court. Not sarcasm.

Archived