Taking kids out of school ?

SportsMomof4

How many of you take your children out of school to cruise? If you do, does the school give you a hard time?

We have never done it but thinking it's a lot more affordable with a family of 6.

Would love to hear what others think :confused:

How many of you take your children out of school to cruise? If you do, does the school give you a hard time?

We have never done it but thinking it's a lot more affordable with a family of 6.

We went on a cruise in January 2012 in which my daughter took our granddaughter out of school 5th grade). She and her husband spoke directly with the Principal. They sighted my granddaughters excellant attendance record and excellant grades as the reasons they were going to approve it.

She offered to have our granddaughter do a report about her travels, but they did not think that was necessary.

By the way, there were a decent amount of children my granddaughters age on the cruise. Some were also "out of school" and others were home schooled and this was part of their geography, social studies, etc. She made three very nice friends.

We can only cruise due to work between December and March. So we go in Jan. or Feb. taking our 7 year old daughter out of school. I make up work sheets for each port and show them to her teacher, this we wander ports to answer and at times I add questions which makes it necessary to ask locals. This way she learns about these wonderful places we visit. She sat for hours talking with kids in Belize City and Roatan last year. The school also gives her ample homework for the cruise. This we do after breakfast or after dinner and before bed. The plan here is that if she does it after breakfast she can either: 1.) then change for pool time on Sea Days, and 2.) maybe see part of a show after evening meal and before bed for her (8:30/9).

Her class of 2 and 3rd graders only has 9 kids and the whole school only has 35-45 kids, so her missing is noted but accepted.

it was actually a teacher i ran into on a disney cruise who told me there was nothing wrong with doing it.

when the kids were in grade school, we did it all the time. the teachers would give us their syllabus for the days involved.

have never tried it in high school yet. not sure if i plan to.

I have always felt that travelling IS an education.

Tell the teacher that your child will be travelling, ask the teacher to send home the homework for the week.

I would ask nobody's permission to take my child somewhere. I'm responsible for that child. The school's only real concern is the federal monies (aka OUR's (the taxpayers)) that they might not get for the lower attendance that week.

Enjoy without any guilt whatsoever. You are providing a better education than they can.

Cheers

dk

Yes and no issues from the school. You will most likely get strong opinions on this post against it but do not let anyone else's opinion (including mine) sway you. You are the only one that knows your child/children and can determine if they can handle the missed school days. We usually take our kids out during a holiday week (thanksgiving week usually) to minimize missed days

I will be taking my daughter out of school for our first cruise in December. I'm not too worried about what the school thinks, my daughter has done well in school, and only missed a few days of school last year due to sickness, so they can say what they want, but we will be sailing on Dec. 16th, lol.

Every year when I would want to take a family vacation we worried about taking our daughter out of school starting in Grade 2. Every year the school made a big deal out of kids missing school. Frankly, I think the teachers just didn't want to have to put together a package of homework. A couple of times we didn't even go because we were worried that she'd fall behind. I regret that now. You only have your kids around for a short time. My daughter just graduated highschool with a 90% average even though she missed about a week of school per year. I say take them out, family bonding and travel is important, and they will be able to catch up

If you are going to take them out of school ( and I've done it, as long as their grades were strong), its best to try and minimize the days missed..teacher conferences, single holidays like Columbus day, Veterans day..

Keep in mind, tho..there will be far fewer children on board for them to interact with. Our Circle C didn't have more than 12 I think, and the Club 02 was a total bust..good thing mine were close enough in age that the older hung with her younger sister and took part in some of the activities.

I personally think its a great idea to introduce other cultures to our children. They see the poverty in places we visit and it makes them stop and think. Its one thing to hear about it.. quite another to experience it.

We have done it two years in a row now and it worked out fine. Last year the oldest was homeschooled but we let the youngest teacher know and all was well. This year I booked based on the youngest start date but that means the oldest will miss the first two days. No worries! We've completed the required summer assignments and I let the school know for attendance and enrollment purposes.

As a teacher, I feel it's a bad idea. Yes, traveling is an education, but there is a lot of time involved with the make up work and the direct teaching that they are missing cannot be made up.

Additionally, it is extra work for the teacher - yes we have plans made, but often those plans change depending on the dynamics of the class. If my students need more time to learn something, then I'm going to extend my lessons. So just giving a packet of work to do while the child is away is not always the same thing we do in class. Then that work has to be graded by the teacher usually after all the other grading is done. The student may also miss the review of that work in the classroom.

Ultimately it is up to the school - we have a policy that does allow for some time out of school - there are reasons listed in the county student handbook - but as a teacher I am NOT required to give work before the student leaves (I CAN, but I do not HAVE to if I don't have the work ready. Also, sometimes students tell the day before they are leaving - "I need work for the next week" Ummmmm - no!).

As a teacher, my consideration is for the student, even though I have mentioned extra work for me. I have had top students and not so top students take time out for various reasons (the same issues do arise when a child is ill for an extended time) and their prior school record does not always predict how well they will handle the missed the work.

Bottom line is that the older the child is (middle and high school), the harder it is to recoup the learning missed and there is more work to make up while also completing the current work.

Why should the school system dictate your life? A child will not be maimed for life from missing a few days off. If everyone didn't pull kids from school, you'd likely wait 12 years to go at a more affordable and less jam packed cruise. I think most parents who pull their kids out are attentive to keeping up with assignments or some kind of trip assignments.

We've got a cruise booked in December, prior to the Xmas break, three kids 7, 5, and 4. I had the hardest time convincing my spouse that it was ok, krikes, grade 2 and kindergarten?! I finally put my foot down and said I was taking them with or without her. I said I would get a lesson plan from the teacher (for my oldest) to address any missed learning (geez, c'mon, a week missed in grade 2?; yes, I'm a little bitter).

Anyhow, after showing her the cost difference between our cruise week and the next week, being Xmas, combined with the lesson plan strategy, she acquiesced.

Unless you're a teacher, have exams to write, or are on academic probation, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a week whether you are in Junior Kindergarten or Grade 12. I have always resented the premium charged on holiday cruises, particularly when I can get the exact same product for substantially less the week before, or after.

...Through elementary and middle school (8th grade) we had no problem doing it. As my daughters started high school, we were a little tentative, even when we got the class and homework assignments in advance, if they were going to be able to keep up. Both girls were A students and had no problem adjusting.

...It definitely depends on the individual child.

Former teacher here. I am currently not teaching because we moved to a new state and I was concerned about DS adjusting as well as I wanted to be around more for DS. I taught middle school one year and primarily high school. I have taken DS 8 out for vacation, not just cruises. The most he has missed at one time is two days. We plan around school breaks, etc. This year will likely be the last due to the increased demands of testing our district and state has placed on both the teachers and the students. As far as work for me, I don't buy the argument. I have to plan for students anyway. I already have things organized and ready to go. A student might fall behind by missing the lesson covered in class (I taught math and science) because not everyone can pick up chemistry or Algebra II at home by themselves; however, I was willing to work with a student upon his/her return. The key is to pick a time that will minimize the impact to the school's or state's testing schedule, and go through the proper channels to get the absence(s) approved well in advance of the date. That includes giving the teacher plenty of advance notice. The teacher is not an adversary; he or she should be a partner. DS has had so many adventures that cannot be duplicated in a classroom.

As a teacher, I feel it's a bad idea. Yes, traveling is an education, but there is a lot of time involved with the make up work and the direct teaching that they are missing cannot be made up.

Additionally, it is extra work for the teacher - yes we have plans made, but often those plans change depending on the dynamics of the class. If my students need more time to learn something, then I'm going to extend my lessons. So just giving a packet of work to do while the child is away is not always the same thing we do in class. Then that work has to be graded by the teacher usually after all the other grading is done. The student may also miss the review of that work in the classroom.

Ultimately it is up to the school - we have a policy that does allow for some time out of school - there are reasons listed in the county student handbook - but as a teacher I am NOT required to give work before the student leaves (I CAN, but I do not HAVE to if I don't have the work ready. Also, sometimes students tell the day before they are leaving - "I need work for the next week" Ummmmm - no!).

As a teacher, my consideration is for the student, even though I have mentioned extra work for me. I have had top students and not so top students take time out for various reasons (the same issues do arise when a child is ill for an extended time) and their prior school record does not always predict how well they will handle the missed the work.

Bottom line is that the older the child is (middle and high school), the harder it is to recoup the learning missed and there is more work to make up while also completing the current work.

looks like even you have taken some cruises during the school year.

you know what made my eyes open this year? reading "killing lincoln", and amazed at the details i thought must have dropped out of my head after all these years.

so I grabbed my youngest's social studies book. i turned to the page of lincoln visit to ford theatre, just to read about the triple assassiation attempt that night, and the whole incident of lincolns death was one paragraph.

i also subsequently found out that geography has all but disappeared, as well as the bar reduced in all subjects to match to the intellegence of the classes stupidest student, just so no one gets left behind.

so, knowing my kids were no where near the stupid threshold, i have never had a problem taking either of them out.

i'm just sorry i didn't take a closer look at what they were learning a little earlier, but have augmented their education since.

Tough decision. It is your child though. Just remember a teacher does not have to give you work or even catch your child up if they missed something since this was not an excusable absence. I agree with HS kids I would be more leery course work is harder.

In college my friends parents planned a Thanksgiving cruise about a year in advance. As soon as she registered for classes she emailed the professor and also told him on the 1st day of classes she would be missing his class. All was fine until about a week or so before break. Professor changed stuff around and she would be missing an huge exam. She went and suggested she take it early (that Friday before she left). He said no he did not need to help her. Either come or fail the exam and class since it was worth so much. Now my friend was an excellent but there was nothing she could do. He did not have to accommodate her since this was a personal reason for skipping class. She failed and had to retake the class.

I'm not saying this can happen in a HS because they grade differently. Just an example that teachers don't have to do a thing for you. To be honest I don't blame them. A lot of my friends are teachers and there is more work involved with taking your kid out then you might realize.

I already said it is your kid though. No one can tell you want to do unless it is a private school and they have something in their contract forbidding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

It's nice to hear a teacher's POV. My son will be missing 4 days in a row of 8th grade. He'll be going on a cruise with his grandparents, aunt, uncle and his parents to places he's never been before. Family bonding and traveling will create learning experiences AND lasting memories.

I have faith that he'll do well on his standardized test even though he'll miss nearly a week of school. In the end, that seems to be all the school really cares about.

Well, it looks like I'm probably going to be the only voice who dares to speak from the other side. After more than 30 years in the field of education as a teacher and administrator, I am going to throw a few things out there to consider. When parents ask for homework to be provided prior to travel, who is expected to prepare this? The teacher of course, even though it is not usually a requirement to do so. When would he/she do this extra work? On their own time, or during class time (when their attention should be on the other students ). In a quality instructional setting, pacing and amount of curriculum coverage varies from day to day depending on the students' progress. So asking a (good) teacher to accurately predict work covered during your absence may not be as easy. Following the return, this work needs to be reviewed, usually out of the timeframe when the other students have completed it. Homework is only a tool to inform a teacher of a student's understanding. Frequently, homework us reviewed iin class so all present can benefit. If there difficulties noted from the work of an absent student, the teacher must then find time to help the student. What about missed tests or quizzes? What can never be made up is the instruction, class discussions, reviews and adjustments that are made in classrooms from minute to minute, day to day. Will most teachers do this extra work? Of course, they will do what is best for the student. It is easier to justify spending the extra time and effort on those who have missed school for an illness rather than a trip. Remember, your family is probably not the only one who goes on vacation during school.

That being said, travel presents an incredible educational experience (which can almost always be accomplished during scheduled school breaks.) Before you book a trip, find out when mandated testing dates are (some state tests can not be made up). If you do decide to take your children out of school, please try to be considerate of the teacher's time (which in turn impacts all of the other students). Make personal contact prior to your travel (not a note). Ask if your student might be negatively impacted by missiing school, and what you can do if a concern is raised. Find out if he/she would like to provide work prior to the trip or upon your return (this is usually easier). I recommend a daily journal as the best option (really now, how much attention is going to be given to those worksheets while you are bobbing about on the ocean) :). Ask what you can do as a parent to minimized the impact of the lost school days. Also, don't be surprised if your school district has a policy regardindpg vacations. Some are considered "unexcused absences". One of my districts sent home a letter as a record of this, which was also placed in the student file. It was not a concern for those students who took an occasional trip during their school career, but you'd be surprised at some files with piles of letters for trips, cruises, family reunions ... :eek:

In reality, there is nothing your school can do to prevent your vacation, but few educators will tell you it's a good idea. In my family, the needs and wishes of the adults now take priority (lower prices, work schedules, fewer crowds, etc.) We do schedule an occasional trip the takes the grandchildren from school, but we approach the planning with the idea that it is our choice, and not the responsibility of them to make up those missed days of instruction. D

Thank you teachers everywhere, for all the little thing you do that go unnoticed. I am now officially off my soap box.

I'm a teacher in the uk. I'll be honest, children going on holiday is quite disruptive to a class. As a parent you may be thinking 'it's just my little darling, what difference can it make?' but when there are a number of children doing the same thing it's causes disruption and lack of continuity.

I know that holidays can be educational but to say they equal school then you are degrading the importance and value of school. There are 12 weeks holiday in the uk - plenty of time for the kind of extended learning that happens through travel.

Having said that, I do understand that for some families there are real, valid restrictions on when a holiday can happen (eg military leave etc) I do not have a problem with that.

Here's a thought - how would you feel about your child's teacher taking time off for a holiday during term time. Can't happen, wouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you teachers everywhere, for all the little thing you do that go unnoticed. I am now officially off my soap box.

:) :D Like!

I forgot there are a lot more tests these days. States have no idea how at times they make it harder for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

We have travelled each year from K - grade 3 so far. We have never had a problem. The teachers have not required her to bring work with us and the only catch up has been for math. She kept a journal of each vacation and did a short presentation when she returned.

Most vacations were 4-6 days off school but is year we went to Europe for 3 weeks. The teacher was very understanding. My was gone during some standardized testing which she had a to do before hand. I don't think I would take that much time off in an older grade.

Talking to parents from across Canada and the US, things seem to very a lot. I heard some kids would be kicked out of school for being on vacation for 3 weeks. Some schools have homework in grade 1 and some don't have any at all in elementary. I think you will also find the support of the teachers vary within a school and probably by student.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, it looks like I'm probably going to be the only voice who dares to speak from the other side. After more than 30 years in the field of education as a teacher and administrator, I am going to throw a few things out there to consider. When parents ask for homework to be provided prior to travel, who is expected to prepare this? The teacher of course, even though it is not usually a requirement to do so. When would he/she do this extra work? On their own time, or during class time (when their attention should be on the other students ).

can we lay people assume that, unless the books change, it's the same homework to the same book year after year?

i even uncovered some lay ze teachers using the same tests straight off the internet sites (e.g. glencoe) who "author" the books.

Archived