Taking kids out of school ?

SportsMomof4

I personally would do it (have done it) but not for a full week. In SC the state actually has a specific amount of days that can be missed and after 9th grade it can cause a student to not graduate. If you are considering it make sure the student has enough days to do it. Other than that requirement it should be up to the parent.

Another thought, SC now offers online school for "home schooled" kids... IF I still had children at home it would definitely be an option...

Same thing here, and I've also seen students and their parents sent to juvenile court due to attendance. We're not talking weeks and weeks of absences but very small amounts of time.

I personally don't have a problem with it so long as the child is in good academic standing, and hasn't had other absences.

Very, very well said.

It is also about values. Some folks value the work ethic. Some do not. Some folks value education. Some do not. Some folks value their wallets more when they schedule a vacation in off peak times when they can save some money.

When we take vacations during the school year, we show our children we value education by getting the schools permission and the the work missed from the teachers. We show them the value of work ethic by making sure they get the work by the schools deadline and get it done correctly. We also show them the value of budgeting their money wisely by saving on vacations where we can.

IMHO our values are right where we want them to be and my kids have proven to it in the way they live their lives. They value education...they are both A students (whether you choose to believe it or not) and DS is starting college in a couple of weeks a semester ahead of a lot of his peers due to AP classes and dual enrollment. They value work ethic...DS has gone out on his own to secure part time jobs even though we told him it wasn't necessary with him going to college. He was voted captain of his soccer team last year...mostly because of his work ethic. DD's dance team won a National Championship last year....they got there by hard work and dedication (sounds like work ethic to me). They value saving their money. DS puts 100% of his pay from his part time jobs into his savings account to help us pay for his college. DD is very budget minded when it comes to shopping...she doesn't buy anything unless it is on sale or we have a coupon (she learned from me). Our values are fine just the way they are.

Obviously very different in America. This (teachers having a holiday) would not happen in the uk.

I'm sure it's different in America, but that's not where we are at the moment :)

My parents were teachers (in America), I can't remember them taking a vacation during school (though we didn't take that many anyways). I do remember them taking off a day to go to a Sam's Club (warehouse store) and I got to ride in the trunk of the car (heh, the back seat was folded down, so it wasn't THAT bad...less dangerous than the times I rode in back of a pickup truck). I also was taken out early to help with some cows that got out. That's about it.

But I also remember the quality of my education. It "seems" to be better here (Australia), but only time would tell. If having some extra time off helps the teachers be even better at their job...I say go for it. I just know that our son loves school, they're doing a great job, and if it works don't break it!

And back on topic...I think the problem our current school has isn't so much kids taking a long family holiday, it's the ones who constantly miss a day every week of school. Personally, I think it'd be more disruptive to have a bunch of kids miss a day here and there, than to have them miss a week or two in a row. But...I could be wrong, I'm not a teacher after all!

Very, very well said.

It is also about values. Some folks value the work ethic. Some do not. Some folks value education. Some do not. Some folks value their wallets more when they schedule a vacation in off peak times when they can save some money.

Very, very true. Some folks value a strong work ethic over family time. I'm the opposite...I value family first, work second. Of course...someone has to work to make money to support the family...but it's not because work comes first, it's because family comes first. And if work insisted on not taking time to spend with family (constant overtime, or only working nights and weekends when kids are home from school, or not letting you take your vacation days), then we'd simply find different work. Work conforms to our needs...not vice versa. But that's just us...if you feel differently, that's your right. Do whatever's best for you!

Same thing here, and I've also seen students and their parents sent to juvenile court due to attendance. We're not talking weeks and weeks of absences but very small amounts of time.

I personally don't have a problem with it so long as the child is in good academic standing, and hasn't had other absences.

I can see that happening where we're originally from (Tennessee). So much so that I emailed the school superintendent details of the school that our son is attending, complete with a letter of enrolment (signed by the principal, stating that our son was currently enroled in that school). I can only imagine what'd happen if they thought our son should be at that school but wasn't (truancy charges, court appearances that we don't know about and thus don't show up...could make for an interesting scene when we try to come back to the US!). I remember reading the handbook, and they were pretty strict about attendance.

I realize that no one cares about the adults on this thread. However, there are many parents who need a break from parenting (IMO, this can help make them a better parent). Many are fortunate enough to have their parents watch the kids for a week. There are also older adults who have "been there -- done that". I strongly feel that children have rights...... but, it there any time in the year that parents feel that adults have the right to go on a cruise without school age children on board:confused:

I realize that no one cares about the adults on this thread. However, there are many parents who need a break from parenting (IMO, this can help make them a better parent). Many are fortunate enough to have their parents watch the kids for a week. There are also older adults who have "been there -- done that". I strongly feel that children have rights...... but, it there any time in the year that parents feel that adults have the right to go on a cruise without school age children on board:confused:

Unless a cruise is being sold as adult only like some all-inclusives are, then nope. The kids have as much "right" to be there as you do. Even without parents pulling kids from school, you have schools on all different schedules around the world, plus all the home schoolers out there on their own schedule. You can reduce your risk of running into them by the cruiseline you choose, the time of year you sail, and the length of your cruise...but unless you find one being sold as "adult" only, you don't have a "right" to a kids free cruise.

...but, it there any time in the year that parents feel that adults have the right to go on a cruise without school age children on board:confused:

Sure, but you'll have to pay a lot more for an adults-only cruise (or at the very least, a cruise that doesn't cater to kids). Then you'll argue that you shouldn't have to pay extra just to go on a cruise without kids, and I'll argue that I shouldn't have to pay extra just to go on a cruise WITH kids (i.e., during school breaks), and there'll be name-calling, eventually we'll forget what we were arguing about, etc. :)

Sure, you can travel off-peak and get away from a LOT of the kids, but not all. At least not while the cruise lines are actively marketing toward families with kids during the entire year.

I work as a part time paraeducater in the middle school. I work with behavioral kids. I see no harm in it as long as the teacher knows in advance (again they don't have to provide work before hand) I too take my kids out every other year for a vacation and I have no regrets. We have lost family members in the recent years and we would not have those vacation memories without my removing my children from school. That said, it is a personal decision and I beleive what ever you decide you should not have any regrets.

I am a teacher and I never forget the story my first teacher I student taught with told me. She was a new teacher of 2nd graders and one of the parents told her they were taking their daughter out the week before Christmas break to go to Disneyworld. She was upset since the vacation was the next week. When the girl came back she told the teacher she hadn't felt well and they were doing tests. She was diagnosed with leukemia and they lost her 6 weeks later. She said the families last happy memories were of that trip. I always remember this and never begrudge my students family time.

I am a teacher and I never forget the story my first teacher I student taught with told me. She was a new teacher of 2nd graders and one of the parents told her they were taking their daughter out the week before Christmas break to go to Disneyworld. She was upset since the vacation was the next week. When the girl came back she told the teacher she hadn't felt well and they were doing tests. She was diagnosed with leukemia and they lost her 6 weeks later. She said the families last happy memories were of that trip. I always remember this and never begrudge my students family time.

I wasn't going to post on this thread. But after reading your post I had to. I'm covered in goosebumps. Thank you for sharing this. This hits close to home - I know how quickly a child can go from seemingly perfectly normal to dying in a hospital bed. You have an excellent way of looking at this controversial issue. Thank you.:)

Unless a cruise is being sold as adult only like some all-inclusives are, then nope. The kids have as much "right" to be there as you do. Even without parents pulling kids from school, you have schools on all different schedules around the world, plus all the home schoolers out there on their own schedule. You can reduce your risk of running into them by the cruiseline you choose, the time of year you sail, and the length of your cruise...but unless you find one being sold as "adult" only, you don't have a "right" to a kids free cruise.

I did not mention "kid free cruise" -- was specific about school age children. There will always be children under 5 years of age on a cruise. Anyway, your responses were as expected. Yes -- we do pay through the nose to go on cruises that do not cater to children, travel when school is in session in the U.S. and Canada and take longer cruises. There are generally one or two children that were taken out of school on board with no one their age to talk to. There was one adorable little boy -- about 5 years old on a 4 week cruise. He was the only child on board -- and was ignored by all passengers. All he seemed to get was dirty looks (not from us). Looking at it from my perspective, some parents take their kids out of school to avoid the hundreds of children on board during the summer and school breaks. Just a theory.

I feel it's a personal decision, but for me, a lot of this depends on your school system and how they look at it.

My daughter is in several honors programs and they frown upon unexcused absences. And yes, cruising is considered unexcused here in my county. She can be terminated from these programs if she obtains even 1 unexcused absence, so I personally, would never take her out of school for a cruise.

BTW, my daughter will be starting high school this month, with honors classes, so there is no taking out for any vacation!!;)

Teachers who think it will be detrimental for kids to miss a week of school are delusional about their value to society. Probably the same ones who whine about all the "extra" work they have to do outside the classroom hours as if theirs is the only profession in the world that has administrative work outside their core job responsibility.

Teachers who think it will be detrimental for kids to miss a week of school are delusional about their value to society. Probably the same ones who whine about all the "extra" work they have to do outside the classroom hours as if theirs is the only profession in the world that has administrative work outside their core job responsibility.

What is remarkable to me about this thread is the adversarial posture toward common attendance requirements. Ironic in that the criticism and hostility toward public education is exactly what has brought about the turn of the screws on testing, achievement, and attendance requirements. Teachers can't win with such attitudes, which often have no substance or logic.

My wife and I regularly take the kids out of school to go on vacations and other things.

We have only been "sent to the principals office" once when both were out for 2 weeks. Both my father and I read the school calender wrong. I think we were looking at last years. And we booked a trip to Washington DC. Witch I think was way more educational than them being in school anyway.

The problem that the schools have with it is they don't get paid from the government and state when kids are absent.

Bryan

Took our high school kids out of school April 2011 for a week. They had a great time, but said it was very hard to catch back up after returning. It did affect their grades.

There was no problem with their teachers. In fact, I did get assigments and curriculum from all of them. But at their age, it just goes so fast, they still fell behind.

They've asked that we don't do it again, so they haven't been able to go with us since...the cruises are much more expensive for a family of 5 during school vacations.

Unfortunately- we have a difficult time taking our kids out of school. We go cruising every spring break (at least they have off a week in the spring) but this is the most expensive time. It is easier than dealing with the schools. Our highschool requires the student to make up hour for hour of school missed even if you have an educational trip excused by the teachers and principal. One time my son went on a missionary trip to Nicaragua with a large church group and one of the teachers did not approve it. The Prinicipal did approve it. But the nice thing is- we do not worry about school or make up work the whole week and just enjoy our vacation together.:)

WOW. I am in deep doodoo. I was hoping to be able to travel with family in Jan. or Feb. It will be our 50th ann. and I wanted to take everyone on a week long cruise to the Caribbean as we live by the great lakes and need a break from the cold. Co-ordinating 5 family units from 2 states, 3 towns and grandchildren ranging from 8 yrs to college--UGH!!! My luck we will have to go in July and run from hurricanes!!

I have never asked the school what I could do with my family. I simply inform them of what I am doing. We get the work that she would miss if necessary and do our thing. She graduated in the top 10% of her class so I guess it did her no harm. Of course we would take time within reason its not like she missed an excessive amount of time.

I'm a former teacher who thinks taking kids out for cruises or other vacations is usually just fine and in fact often very educational. The idea that they will miss something vital, that can't be made up or learned is silly. Most important concepts are taught and retaught multiple times.

This is especially true for 8th grade and under. High school is more iffy, but, at least in our area, extra-curricular activities (ie, sports) are the main reason teens can't miss school easily. If you are on the basketball team, for instance, missing practices and games can mean losing your place on the squad. Now, I don't agree with this, but it is the way it is.

Yes, as a teacher, getting together work for kids to do ahead, or catching them up afterwards, is a pain. I know some teachers have lesson plans made weeks, months or even (:eek:) a whole year ahead, but this never worked for me. My plans were made week by week as I made adjustments to how a particular set of students learned. So, making up work packets meant extending my lesson plans ahead and guessing where the class will be, and getting together the papers and sheets that might be needed.

Every school district or state has their own rules, usually to do with money they receive for the number of students in school. I personally think parents have the right to decide whether their children can miss school or not, within reason, but then must accept the consequences if their school is not accepting.

I also find it funny that everyone here has exceptional students who are really mature and get great grades. Statistically this just can't be true. And, I don't agree that only 'good' students benefit from travel. Sometime the struggling kid learns more easily from 'hands on' lessons, since quite often these kids have trouble because they learn in a different way than most kids.

Okay, rant over. We do take our grandkids on cruise during the school year, but our small town schools are very reasonable about this, luckily.

When our children were very young (5- and 6-years old) Kindergarten and 1st grade were easy enough that they could be taken out of school for a week without much difficulty. However, they are now in 5th and 6th grade and I would not consider taking them out--there is just too much time involved in make-up work. That makes trips both fun and dreaded--it's fun during the trip, but there is a price of make-up work upon returning. That said, every school district is different concerning volume of work as are the children. You have to weigh both to see if taking them out for a week is doable. Even when we vacation in the summer, we like to look up facts for the attractions--it seems to make them more fascinating and they kids learn at the same time.

Curt

Off-topic, but does all this make-up work apply when the child's been off sick? Because it seems a bit hard if someone's had a wearying illness for a week or so, that as soon as they get back they've gotto work twice as hard to catch up - and if it's something debilitating like glandular fever, it would just make them ill again.

When our children were very young (5- and 6-years old) Kindergarten and 1st grade were easy enough that they could be taken out of school for a week without much difficulty. However, they are now in 5th and 6th grade and I would not consider taking them out--there is just too much time involved in make-up work. That makes trips both fun and dreaded--it's fun during the trip, but there is a price of make-up work upon returning. That said, every school district is different concerning volume of work as are the children. You have to weigh both to see if taking them out for a week is doable. Even when we vacation in the summer, we like to look up facts for the attractions--it seems to make them more fascinating and they kids learn at the same time.

Curt

We did things similarly. The last time we pulled them out, they were 9 & 7. They were in 3rd and 1st grade. We will pull them out a day early now as we would rather leave on a Friday then fly in the day before the cruise. But that is also the last day before a school vacation week and the teachers ramp it down that day in any case. They are now in 9th and 7th grades and we have one next April vacation week. The extra we pay in air fare (it's not cheap to fly school vacation weeks) is just part of the cost of the vacation. For the four of us, it's between $400 and $500 total and everyone has a peace of mind.

My youngest grandson was taken out of school to go on a 10 person family cruise. He had never been out of the state. He had never seen the ocean. He had never flown. As his Grandpa, I suggested that when he got back to school, maybe the teacher could give him the time to give a report to the class regarding his experiences. She did. She had a hard time shutting him up when class was over. The teacher said that that was the most attentive class that she had ever seen and his poor grades improved a lot.:cool: He also gained a bunch of new friends.

Archived