Embarkation and Disembarkation at Southampton.

BORDER REIVER

On our only previous cruise from Southampton, we opted to use the official Eavesway coaches and arrived in Southampton, tired, rather stressed and in need of a wash after a 350 mile journey. The return coach trip was equally tiring.

Rather than start and end our next cruise stressed and tired, we have decided to travel by non-stop train and stay in a hotel near the cruise terminals both before and after our cruise.

Are there any advantages to arriving early at the cruise terminal or is it best to arrive at the time stated on our documents?

At the end of the cruise, do we have to disembark at the time stated (deck 8) or can we wait a while until the rush has died down a bit. We will only be going to leave our luggage at the hotel before exploring Southampton?

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Good move travelling down the day before embarkation. We always do it rather than risk delays and miss the ship, and it's far less stressful.

For us, driving is not even a consideration, the bus leaves Washington at some stupidly early time, so the train is the only way!!

Embarkation times are staggered to allow a steady flow of passengers and reduce queues, but there's always a bit of wriggle room. I shouldn't worry about arriving at the terminal early (but, of course, it could cause probs if everyone did that!!)

Re getting off the ship, may I suggest the self help disembarkation? You keep all of your luggage with you, carry it yourself, but you can get off whenever you want after the gangway opens.

Mr. H.

Re getting off the ship, may I suggest the self help disembarkation? You keep all of your luggage with you, carry it yourself, but you can get off whenever you want after the gangway opens.

Mr. H.

I did not realise that... I thought if you opted for self disembarkation, you had to leave at the crack of sparrows? Do you know if the same applies in New York too?

T5

:)

Good move travelling down the day before embarkation. We always do it rather than risk delays and miss the ship, and it's far less stressful.

For us, driving is not even a consideration, the bus leaves Washington at some stupidly early time, so the train is the only way!!

Mr. H.

Thanks. By the way, how do you find the trains for luggage space? There will be 3 of us and we will be getting on at Durham, using a train that starts at Newcastle rather than Edinburgh, so there shouldn't be too many cases in the racks.

Agreed about the stupidly early time from Washington, we'll not be doing that again.

Thanks. By the way, how do you find the trains for luggage space? There will be 3 of us and we will be getting on at Durham, using a train that starts at Newcastle rather than Edinburgh, so there shouldn't be too many cases in the racks.

My only bit of advice would be to go near your cases (or at least watch the luggage rack at the end of the coach closely) at stations. It has been known (although rarely) for cases to get off the train several stops before their owners :eek: .

If you tie identical bright-coloured straps around each case, that will help you notice them being moved by passengers searching for their own cases (or yours :eek: ).

(In a genuine mistake, a very elderly (90s) relative of mine did once get off a train with the wrong case. Her case went to Penzance and the train company (Late Western) refused to return it to her local station without a huge fee, she was told to "go to Penzance to collect it then" :mad: )

I am totally in favour of staying the night before a cruise in the port of departure if you have travelled a long distance. You are relaxed and stress-free for the start of your holiday.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

I did not realise that... I thought if you opted for self disembarkation, you had to leave at the crack of sparrows? Do you know if the same applies in New York too?

T5

Nowadays with those cases with 4 wheels that are really easy to move and push along, even if a lot of stuff in them - self disembarking is much easier and accessible for more people.

I think planning cruise with that option in mind is always a good idea. Closer to the end of the trip you have the choice of deciding - but packing and making sure you take what you can fit in cases you can wheel off yourself always is a good idea.

(It also takes some pressure off the poor guys in board that have to fetch and handle all those cases on top of everything they do already!) But does give you flexibility. And we have found helps temper excessive packing when doing a Southampton to Southampton!

We have used it even when travelling in Queens Grill as still means you can zoot off the ship once you up and about and if you getting a taxi or have your car there is easy.

However, I would avoid it if you are ever on one of the short 3 or 4 night taster cruises. Everyone seems to go for that, as guess they all have less luggage, and the lines and shoving waiting for the ok to leave the ship can be crazy!!!

Another option, especially if you are travelling in a cabin that is likely to be given a later slot is booking a coach transfer with Cunard that departs at a fairly early time - as then you get a pass to disembarck in time for that.

This is a great topic and question and one I will add into my Cunard Blog and Podcast Q&A that I am building up - as getting off the ship can be a fraught experience sometimes! Have links in my signature.

My only bit of advice would be to go near your cases (or at least watch the luggage rack at the end of the coach closely) at stations. It has been known (although rarely) for cases to get off the train several stops before their owners :eek: .

If you tie identical bright-coloured straps around each case, that will help you notice them being moved by passengers searching for their own cases (or yours :eek: ).

Thanks for that advice. It does concern me that our luggage could get accidentally (or intentionally) removed, so we'll keep an eye on it and make it easily recognisable. We will travel 1st class as there's some really good deals to be had and it's less busy in there, as well as there being a bit more space for luggage behind seats.

Thanks for that advice. It does concern me that our luggage could get accidentally (or intentionally) removed, so we'll keep an eye on it and make it easily recognisable. We will travel 1st class as there's some really good deals to be had and it's less busy in there, as well as there being a bit more space for luggage behind seats.

there's always space in 1st Class..

Have you thought about sending your luggage in advance and then travelling light. I know this can be done with P&O and I assume Cunard as well. We have not used it but our friends in Gateshead have and have been very happy with the service.

They pick up 3/4 days before your cruise and you next see your luggage in your cabin. I think it is a flat rate so good for us in the NE.

Gan Canny

Dai

Have you thought about sending your luggage in advance and then travelling light. I know this can be done with P&O and I assume Cunard as well. We have not used it but our friends in Gateshead have and have been very happy with the service.

They pick up 3/4 days before your cruise and you next see your luggage in your cabin. I think it is a flat rate so good for us in the NE.

Gan Canny

Dai

Yes Cunard do offer the courier service its with DHL.White Star Luggage

http://www.cunard.co.uk/FAQs/Before-You-Sail/

Gan Canny

Dai

I've checked out various luggage transfer companies and the rough price would be in the region of £300 return for our baggage. That amount will pay for our hotel stays before and after the cruise. It was worth considering though & if we had a bit more money to spare, we would probably go for it. The cheapest way was travelling with the coach companies, but I'd never do an 8-9 hr coach trip again.

I had a look at your pics of Arcadia in the Tyne....where can I find the cruise calls list for the Tyne? It would be nice to pop across occasionally.

I've checked out various luggage transfer companies and the rough price would be in the region of £300 return for our baggage. That amount will pay for our hotel stays before and after the cruise. It was worth considering though & if we had a bit more money to spare, we would probably go for it. The cheapest way was travelling with the coach companies, but I'd never do an 8-9 hr coach trip again.

I had a look at your pics of Arcadia in the Tyne....where can I find the cruise calls list for the Tyne? It would be nice to pop across occasionally.

Hi border reiver

This is the link you need, it is from the port of Tyne website.

http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/business-divisions/marine-and-environmental-services/shipping-movements/expected-shipping/

Gan Canny

Dai

Nowadays with those cases with 4 wheels that are really easy to move and push along, even if a lot of stuff in them - self disembarking is much easier and accessible for more people.

I think planning cruise with that option in mind is always a good idea. Closer to the end of the trip you have the choice of deciding - but packing and making sure you take what you can fit in cases you can wheel off yourself always is a good idea.

(It also takes some pressure off the poor guys in board that have to fetch and handle all those cases on top of everything they do already!) But does give you flexibility. And we have found helps temper excessive packing when doing a Southampton to Southampton!

We have used it even when travelling in Queens Grill as still means you can zoot off the ship once you up and about and if you getting a taxi or have your car there is easy.

However, I would avoid it if you are ever on one of the short 3 or 4 night taster cruises. Everyone seems to go for that, as guess they all have less luggage, and the lines and shoving waiting for the ok to leave the ship can be crazy!!!

Another option, especially if you are travelling in a cabin that is likely to be given a later slot is booking a coach transfer with Cunard that departs at a fairly early time - as then you get a pass to disembarck in time for that.

This is a great topic and question and one I will add into my Cunard Blog and Podcast Q&A that I am building up - as getting off the ship can be a fraught experience sometimes! Have links in my signature.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, that is most useful.

So, if I elect to "Self Disembark" in Brooklyn, what time do I have to get off the ship? Is it of my choosing?

I appreciate I still have to be out of the cabin by 09:00 or whatever the time is...

Warm Regards,

T5

Hi T5.

Never done self help at Brooklyn as on both occasions we've had accommodation booked (Bath Travel) and they've sorted luggage and transport etc.

But I don't see why the same process couldn't happen.

We always do self help at Southampton, as we've had a train to catch at 0900. Not daftly early but we don't want to hang about.

You've still got to be out of your cabin by 0830 latest, keep all your luggage with you etc, but as far as I know, as long as you get off at some point, there's no time limits!

Strikes me as a far better idea to have a leisurely brekkie, and leave the ship at a time that suits, and have all bags with you. Rather than sit in a lounge getting grumpy and irritable waiting to be called, and have the hassle of finding your luggage.

Regards,

Mr. H.

Hi T5.

Never done self help at Brooklyn as on both occasions we've had accommodation booked (Bath Travel) and they've sorted luggage and transport etc.

But I don't see why the same process couldn't happen.

We always do self help at Southampton, as we've had a train to catch at 0900. Not daftly early but we don't want to hang about.

You've still got to be out of your cabin by 0830 latest, keep all your luggage with you etc, but as far as I know, as long as you get off at some point, there's no time limits!

Strikes me as a far better idea to have a leisurely brekkie, and leave the ship at a time that suits, and have all bags with you. Rather than sit in a lounge getting grumpy and irritable waiting to be called, and have the hassle of finding your luggage.

Regards,

Mr. H.

Hello Mr. H...

Thanks for the reply.

That is my thinking too. And, as TipsForTravellers said too, having "easy to wheel" 4 wheel drive cases, which I do, will help enormously.

I would be quite happy to be out of my cabin at 08:30, head for breakfast, have something to eat and a nice cup of tea, then get off around 10:00 or so... Instead, as you say, of sitting in a place that is not of my choosing till I am told to get off the ship...

Also, having all my stuff with me and being able to pack properly in the morning and not worry about working out what to leave out of my case the previous evening would be a bonus too.

Thanks again,

T5

Since many of you seem to be experienced in this area.....

Could you recommend a hotel in Southampton? We are flying in the day before sailing and will head down to Southampton.

And to that point, what are the recommendations for transport from Heathrow to Southampton. Prefer not to take a train, but if that is the best option we will consider it.

Any thoughts?

We stayed at Star Hotel. It is well-located in Southampton but it has very low curb appeal (lots of peeling paint on the facade). Not dirty but the room walls were dusty above a certain height. Price was good; easy walking along the Soton High Street to restaruants and shopping. Highly recommend the Corander Lounge (Indian restaurant) across the street and to the right.

We arranged a car & driver through Smiths for Airports at a very good price (£70). They had optimistic assumptions about the time required to clear immigration upon arrival that nearly resulted in the driver having given up on us. Count on at least an hour to 90 minutes after the scheduled arrival time - we arrived early at 7 AM and were through processing with our luggage by 8:40.

Final note - the ATMs at Heathrow are all Travelex ATMs. They are set up to use "dynamic currency conversion" to sell you Pounds at an inflated exchange rate. Have your driver take you to an ATM off the airport. There's a Service Area along the motorway to Southampton with an ATM that has a fee under 2 Pounds, but a bank ATM will not charge any fees other than what your bank charges.

Agreed about the stupidly early time from Washington, we'll not be doing that again.

You'll be on a Cross Country Train so have a look at their website for luggage space allocation. You're in First Class and joining the train early so there should be no problems.

We usually catch the Grand Central Trains service from Eaglescliffe to Kings Cross and stop with family in London, before travelling the hour or so to Sou Central. (Waterloo direct or Paddington change Reading)

Can recommend the Grand Central service from the north east. (Sunderland to KGX). Check their own website for fares, but consider 'splitting tickets' to benefit from their sensible pricing policy.

Grand Central isn't an option for us I'm afraid, it would be a logistical nightmare to get to Sunderland from Durham City with 8 bags between 3 of us. You're probably correct about there being plenty of luggage space on CrossCountry, if we use the one that starts at Newcastle. There are other options, but they involve changing trains in Birmingham and with all our luggage, that would be difficult, at least we know that once we're on board that train, we'll be there until it stops at Southampton.

Just had a thought about security....once on the train we could tie all our biggest cases together once in the racks. No-one could take 3 suitcases at once.

We stayed at Star Hotel. It is well-located in Southampton but it has very low curb appeal (lots of peeling paint on the facade). Not dirty but the room walls were dusty above a certain height. Price was good; easy walking along the Soton High Street to restaruants and shopping. Highly recommend the Corander Lounge (Indian restaurant) across the street and to the right.

We arranged a car & driver through Smiths for Airports at a very good price (£70). They had optimistic assumptions about the time required to clear immigration upon arrival that nearly resulted in the driver having given up on us. Count on at least an hour to 90 minutes after the scheduled arrival time - we arrived early at 7 AM and were through processing with our luggage by 8:40.

Final note - the ATMs at Heathrow are all Travelex ATMs. They are set up to use "dynamic currency conversion" to sell you Pounds at an inflated exchange rate. Have your driver take you to an ATM off the airport. There's a Service Area along the motorway to Southampton with an ATM that has a fee under 2 Pounds, but a bank ATM will not charge any fees other than what your bank charges.

Thanks for that info.....especially the part about how long it took to get through immigration...I was wondering about that.

• 1 month later...

we have done 1st class to Southampton and you are right it is less busy. Much more relaxing, enjoy your cruise.

Catherine

I am staying the night before as well (Susan&Ed I think we are on the same ship). The hotel I chose was the Ibis Southampton. For me they had a nice room and nice rates especially since I want to save every penny for the ship. I also think I am going to self dis-embark in NYC but ask for an earlier get off the ship time as I need to get to Penn Station for my train ride home. Sara

Hello

Although my parents live in Southampton I frequently stay at the Premier Inn West Quay - good value for money and a stones throw from the terminal.

Don't stay at th De Vere Grand Harbour - it is over priced and I can't say anything positive from the time I stayed there.

Have a good trip.

I am staying the night before as well (Susan&Ed I think we are on the same ship). The hotel I chose was the Ibis Southampton. For me they had a nice room and nice rates especially since I want to save every penny for the ship. I also think I am going to self dis-embark in NYC but ask for an earlier get off the ship time as I need to get to Penn Station for my train ride home. Sara

The last few times we self disembarked in NYC, we were off the ship by 7AM. You can't get off the ship before it's cleared by customs, they let the self disembarkers go right away after that.

Archived