Costa Concordia--Note from the Hal Forum

rafinmd

Thanks for the webcam link. There is one thing I've been curious about post-Concordia. Up till then, people remaining onboard from a priior sailing were pretty much exempt from the drills. With Cunard doing a lot of things like Hamburg-Southampton-New York, I wonder if the people who boarded must now attend the drills in both Hamburg and Southampton.

Roy

Thanks for the webcam link. There is one thing I've been curious about post-Concordia. Up till then, people remaining onboard from a priior sailing were pretty much exempt from the drills. With Cunard doing a lot of things like Hamburg-Southampton-New York, I wonder if the people who boarded must now attend the drills in both Hamburg and Southampton.

Roy

i wondered about that in relation to the world cruises. I would guess there would be a drill at the start of each segment.

i wondered about that in relation to the world cruises. I would guess there would be a drill at the start of each segment.

I'm not sure but I remember reading that a couple were put off a Seabourn ship earlier this year for refusing to go the the drill as they were B2B and had done it before.

Cunard also seems to vary the World Cruise segments by nationality. When I was on QV in 2010 (Bangkok to Dubai) the segments were broken for most nationalities at Singapore, 3 days into my segment. With only a couple hundred passengers boarding in Bangkok, the drill sent everyone to the Queens Room. I was not required to, but opted to participate in the drill at Singapore, where I reported to my actual muster station.

Roy

My understanding is you only attend one muster drill for the duration of your voyage.

It's really not that big of a deal to attend. It's rather silly that people get so worked up over having to go. It only takes 20 minutes tops judging by my first cruise on another line.

On the Australian cruise this winter, there were people embarking and disembarking at every port. The largest group embarked at Sydney, and we had the full muster drill. I think it was just for those of us who had embarked that day. IIRC, in ports where the embarking group was smaller, they held a briefing in just one location, rather than spend the crew time to go to full muster stations all over the ship.

I believe HAL is now requiring everyone to go to muster drills, even those on the second leg of a B2B. There were reports of someone not allowed to sail on a HAL cruise for not going to the muster drill.

On QV last week we had the drill before we sailed, as has always been the case on every voyage we have done over the years. I know it was allowed previously for the drill to take place after sailing though why that was allowed I have no idea. Now the drill has to take place before sailing and I think we should always be vigilant that everything is done correctly. I know from experience in industry that I things can be allowed to slip.

One thing I noticed was that we were directed to the theatre for our muster point. The theatre was full and we were told that for a genuine emergency we would be led to our boats. It did look to me like a big potential problem getting a full theatre of passengers out to the boats.

These things look fine as a practice, but can be very different when panic sets in. I made a mental note to stay close to the exits .

David

It's really not that big of a deal to attend. It's rather silly that people get so worked up over having to go. It only takes 20 minutes tops judging by my first cruise on another line.

I agree. I would much rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.

I agree. I would much rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.

It can even be quite fun - I (perhaps rather pathetically) asked a crew member whether the lifeboats would be seated according to class and pretended to complain about potential overcrowding. Not surprisingly I was told I wasn't the first to ever say that. But it was an opportunity to flirt.

Nothing happened beyond that - cant have the classes mingling now *wink*

Roy

We recently did B2Bs on the QM2. You only have to go to one muster drill. On the 2nd cruise, you are sent a letter & they suggest you go to the drill, but tell you it is not required. For the cruise on to Hamburg from Southampton (and return), those embarking in Hamburg go to a drill held just for them. Those who attended the drill in Southampton do not have to attend again.

Thank you Crzn-life,

I am joining QM2 on 28th for B2B2B, although I go to the original muster, I prefer not to go to those for the other segments. With so little to do on board (I do not go ashore) on the days in S'hampton, I like to use the time to deal doing my washing etc. and giving myself an in my cabin "spa day"

Can you imagine going to the muster with a "green mud pack " on my face!!!

Archived