Anyone ever get busted bringing back too many cartons of smokes?

snorkelman

I don't smoke, but my MIL does and wants 5-10 cartons. My wife and I will be cruising just the two of us, and I think we are only allowed to bring back 1 carton each before we have to pay extra (assuming the extra are declared).

Looking for feedback on things people have actually done/experienced with customs.

I have heard of people breaking up the extra cartons into loose packs .. since they sell them 2 or 5 for a price.. many people Im sure bring back extra. Lots buy the 5 for $109 price or whatever it is that week.

Ive never had my luggage searched.

I have heard of people breaking up the extra cartons into loose packs .. since they sell them 2 or 5 for a price.. many people Im sure bring back extra. Lots buy the 5 for $109 price or whatever it is that week.

Ive never had my luggage searched.

it's by the cigarette, so breaking them up doesn't really do anything if you get caught.

Depends also on your final destination and if that final destination is Canada... I would not chance it - unless you plan to declare the full amount and pay the taxes.

I seen a guy get banned from crossing for 6 months because he decided to wear a $40 pair of shoes he bought and did not declare at customs (I guess he forgot the box of the new shoes was in the back of the car)

Good luck!

I don't smoke but my MIL does. Am I reading it correctly, she could get 5 cartons for $109?? She smokes Marlboro and gets 1 carton for $60. Can she get them for the $109 deal in the Bahamas? Thanks for your help!

I don't smoke but my MIL does. Am I reading it correctly, she could get 5 cartons for $109?? She smokes Marlboro and gets 1 carton for $60. Can she get them for the $109 deal in the Bahamas? Thanks for your help!

Thats about the onboard price. I think it varys from $104 to about $115, dont know why it is up and down. Thats the price for 5 cartons of marboros. Not sure they sell every kind of marlboro, as Im not a smoker, just lived with a boyfriend who smoked them. They had the red and gold packs seems like in 5 cartons.. but not every single kind is offered in 5s.

The $109.00 deal is on the Ship, in the duty free shop. They are labeled different than here in the states.

I normally bring back a 5 carton $109.00 deal for a friend who smokes and takes care of our house and dogs while we are gone. Never declared, never been searched.

Just went and looked...... You are allowed 200 cigs,(1 carton) duty free.

Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis, etc.) to the U.S. for their personal use.

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit.

Additional cigars and cigarettes may be brought into the country, but they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes. Cigarettes may also be subject to Federal excise tax. Rates may be viewed by visiting the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only and actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

Also looked up the Duty on overage...

Tobacco Products

1000 units

Pack of 20

Small Cigarettes

$50.33

$1.01

Large Cigarettes

$105.69

$2.11

Small Cigars

$50.33

$1.01

Formating kinda got jumbled. Top price is per 1000, bottom price is per 20 pack.

Like going over your liquor allowance. Declare it. They might or might not charge you for it.

The duty tax is 3%. Is it worth getting into hot water over, at most $25?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

And have your lawyer meet you at Customs. Geesh! Who writes this stuff?!?!?:eek:

I don't smoke, but my MIL does and wants 5-10 cartons. My wife and I will be cruising just the two of us, and I think we are only allowed to bring back 1 carton each before we have to pay extra (assuming the extra are declared).

Looking for feedback on things people have actually done/experienced with customs.

I have never been caught with cigs but two cruises ago I got nailed for not declaring jewelery I bought and its not very fun (or cheap to get out of).They go through every item you own(dirty undies and all lol) and check reciepts for everything.Then they take everything and make you sit while the supervisor decides what to fine you.Bring a credit card its not pretty

snorkelman, just back from 5 day cruise to Bahamas on the Fantasy. I bought 5 cartons of Marlboros onboard and paid $125.00 in gift shop. CCL had just raised price. Customs asked if I had any cigs so i told them 5 cartons. I had to pay $10.00 a carton for the 3 that was over the limit of 1 carton per person over the age of 18 traveling with me. Oh they did give me a receipt for the $30.00 cash I gave them. Still cheaper than what I would have had to pay in USA and we live in NC. I also heard onboard that customs can get a list of people that bought alot of liquor, jewelry, smokes, etc.

problem is, most of these cheapies don't use american tobacco.

some bargain.

Don't smoke, but have never had any complaints from those that I've brought back Marlboro cigarettes. They say Made in USA; are you suggesting that they are counterfeit?

I would tell you that they simply have no tax (SXM is a duty free port); neither Federal, State or Local.

Kevin C

Don't smoke, but have never had any complaints from those that I've brought back Marlboro cigarettes. They say Made in USA; are you suggesting that they are counterfeit?

I would tell you that they simply have no tax (SXM is a duty free port); neither Federal, State or Local.

Kevin C

only real if they have the seal.

On our cruise in 2010 (came back from Ensenada, Mexico), we wound up buying the whole box (5 cartons) of cigarettes, 1.7L of Grey Goose, and 4L of rum and vodka! Needless to say, instead of trying to 'sneak' it all by, we just declared it all on the customs sheet. They still lightly checked our bags when they saw that we had as much as we did, but they did give us a very nice speech about how happy they were that we actually followed the rules and did not try to sneak it. They said that if we had tried they would have made us pay LOTS more in taxes then the little that they did (which was definitely worth it after all we bought), and they told us other stories of what can happen if people are not just honest. So my point of view and experience...just be honest...it will save you time in the long run and not having you thinking "What if" if you do get caught!

I know this thread is bout bringing stuff home but since the smokers are here quick questions...Is there a limit on cig when boarding the ship? A carton or two for the week while on the ship? Can you purchase the Duty Free cig to use while on board?

Thanks for any info bringing first timer who smokes

Archived