Toddler Life Vest on excursions

ComeSailWithME

The ship doesn't provide them for recreational use. On excursions that accept small children and require a vest, they will be provided. For simply going to the beach on your own, you'll need to bring what you need.

If you're doing a private excursion, confirm that they have life vests that will fit your child. Before my girls could swim, I always brought our own swim vests - they're light so don't add any weight to our luggage. I liked having my toddlers wear them when walking on docks or when in the ocean and pools on shore.

Best,

Mia

We bring the Type III PFD lifevests, with the THIN foam so the vests aren't too bulky.

DD4's vest is PINK so she loves it and wears while boarding.

DS7's vest is black and kinda AWESOME looking so he loves wearing it... but doesn't wear it to board.

Both bought at Sports Chalet during a Memorial Day Sale for under $40.00 each.

I like them because of the better fit/ long zipper PLUS strap closures/ neck strap (to haul out of water)/ optional crotch strap (to keep from riding up the torso.)

I even bring a huge vest for me!

We're planning on bringing ours with us. It is a little bulky because it's the under 30 pound kind with the head support, but I know no one will have those around. We're staying in FL for 4 days before so we want it if she goes in the ocean and we'll use it at the beach in ports.

My question is on the tender. For those that have brought vests for toddlers, do you have them wear them on the tender? My first instinct is to have her wear it, but maybe that's overkill.

My question is on the tender. For those that have brought vests for toddlers, do you have them wear them on the tender? My first instinct is to have her wear it, but maybe that's overkill.

I'm pretty fearless with my girls and not a worrier, but I did always have them wear their swim vests for the tenders. My nightmare was one of them falling into the water while getting onto the tender from the ship, which can be precarious if the water is choppy. I've never heard of it happening, but I just wanted to know that they would at least float for the few moments they'd be in the water. Silly - but it made me feel better - plus, since they outnumber me, I liked the security in case one of them ran off on the tender or on the dock. Lots of people complimented me for the good idea. I'm sure there were silent others who thought I was ridiculous. :)

Best,

Mia

Best,

Mia

I never thought of falling into the water before getting on the tender. That's a good point. I'm sure the prospect of anything happening is very low and I'm sure there will be some "really?" thoughts from some, but I don't care. I think she'll wear it. :)

By all means make them wear it if you want. But as there isn't a gap between the ship's floating harbour and the lifeboat, there's no possiblity of dropping down the gap. Reins would work just as well if the child can't be trusted not to run off.

I had the greatest vest for my son at that age. It was an inflatable vest and it packed completely flat. It was comfortable for him and you could adjust that air in the chambers as needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kids-Childrens-Inflatable-Swimming-Swim-Vest-Life-Jacket-/140763327249

I love this! I wonder if it would work well for my 5 year old?

The cabin one is bulky and not geared for recreation swimming. It would be better to bring your own.

t's certainly against ship's rules and almost certainly against the law to use the ship's lifejacket for non-emergency use. You can never play with emergency equipment - not lifejackets, not lifeboats, not fire extinguishers, not fire doors, nothing.

We always bring our daughters puddle jumper. The puddle jumper is THE BEST THING ever invented. :D

We tried the blow up rings for the waist and arms (of course not too safe and could deflate and/or pop), we went to the sporting goods store and tried an actual certified life jacket, did not work and flipped her. We tried the type of vest that goes all the way around the body and zips in the front, it flipped her on either her back or on her front with no way for her to get back over. I was at the end of my ropes...then someone on here started telling me about the puddle jumpers and everyone chimed in and started recommending them.

I checked them out and found one at the local store and tried it out. WOW...simply AMAZING! I did not worry at all with her in it. No flipping and no problems. (She was 3 on her first 2 cruises and she snorkeled right beside us in the ocean on both cruises and several different ports on each cruise).

I would definitely try whatever you decide to use prior to going.

My daughter just turned 4 and she now knows how to swim really good. However, the puddle jumper will be going with us when she is in the ocean for safety issues.

Our daughter had just turned 3 when we took her on her first cruise and we didn't think twice about taking a life vest for her with us. She wore it on every tender and I didn't care if people thought it was overkill. Freak accidents happen all the time and this was something we were not going to chance.

I applaud all the parents who do take life vests for their kids. I believe it should be mandatory on all tenders for young children.

I believe it should be mandatory on all tenders for young children.

Considering that more people drown falling overboard from the ship itself than from the tender, shouldn't the mandatory life vest be extended to 24 hours a day? And non-swimming adults ought to wear one too.

Archived