What to pack?!

reginaphalange

Pardon my ignorance, but we have never been to the Carribbean or on another cruise and I'm trying to plan ahead. We will be on the 11/25/11 sailing of the Carnival Magic (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Montego Bay) and I am unsure of what to pack clothing-wise. I'm guessing summer-ish clothing would be appropriate with maybe a light jacket for the evenings? Things light shorts, tank tops, summer dresses, sandals...?

Pardon my ignorance, but we have never been to the Carribbean or on another cruise and I'm trying to plan ahead. We will be on the 11/25/11 sailing of the Carnival Magic (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Montego Bay) and I am unsure of what to pack clothing-wise. I'm guessing summer-ish clothing would be appropriate with maybe a light jacket for the evenings? Things light shorts, tank tops, summer dresses, sandals...?

If your sail date is 11/25/11 I wouldn't pack at all. You missed the boat! j/k. What you have described sounds right.

Hope you have a great time.

I got this packing tip from another thread: think about what you'll be doing each day of the cruise & then each evening. Pack according to what tours you'll be doing. I try to mix & match- less to pack. A light jacket for evenings, capris/shorts for daytime, casual dreses for evening + 2 dressier dresses for elegant nights, & of course a swimming suit for beaches & pool. Have fun, enjoy your cruise.

The Caribbean is warm year round, so summer clothing will do. The ship can get chilly in some areas, so a sweater or light jacket is a good idea.

And typically when you decide what to bring put half back and should just about work. Everyone takes to much the first few times.

We, just DH and me, had two big suitcases, two small suitcases, a garment bag, and two carry-ons for our first cruise. (We had not yet discovered Cruise Critic.) It took us many cruises to figure out how much, or little, to pack. We now pack half of what we think we'll wear and do laundry midway though the cruise.

It takes time and experience.

Enjoy.

Half the clothes & twice the $$$$$

Many find that most days are spent in swimwear & a cover-up or sun dress. Casual smart for the evenings works well - mix & match makes packing easier - and really no one will notice or care if you wear the same thing twice!

Just my personal preference, but I have found that cargo shorts are great for non beach shore excursions. The extra pockets are handy for small items, such as a camera, sunglasses, ipod, etc. On the ship, as you've guessed, typical summer wear. You'll find lots of tips and ideas for what to pack, and can modify the information to suit your needs. I'll bet there isn't anyone that didn't overpack for their first cruise, and there are even some seasoned cruisers that still overpack. Probably the most important things to have are your cruise / travel documents (including passports), a major credit card, small bills such as $1's & $5's for tipping, a camera, sunblock, a comfortable pair of walking shoes, and flip-flops (to wear to the pool). You may want to have a nice outfit to wear for formal nights. No need to bring more than one, you can always have something laundered or dry-cleaned on the ship. Once you're at the port, leave all your worries behind you. Board the ship with the attitude that you're going to have a fun, relaxing, enjoyable vacation.:)

I know you're asking about clothing so feel-free to ignore, but these are also on my list:

Water shoes if you plan to go into the ocean, some places can be pretty rocky

Light-weight bag to take on the beach - I use it for packing my shoes too

Visor

Soap/shampoo, what they have in the dispensers doesn't cut it for me

Hair dryer (again, not fond of what they have)

Multi-outlet converter, there aren't enough outlets in the room for charging the phones/camera/kindle etc.

ENJOY!!!!!!

I still take too much. I like choices.

I use to be that way for sure! I always over packed but I have gotten so much better at mix and matching. Sun dresses that you can throw on over your bathing suit are awesome, they look good enough to wear in the MDR if you choose to grab breakfast or lunch in there and are sooo comfortable when I go into ports too!! I have learned over the years to pack alot more simple sun dresses and a few bathing suits. I use to bring wayy too many shoes too....I have definatly cut down to only a few (sandles/1 dress shoe). I usually choose simple casual dresses that don't wrinkle for dinners in the MDR with a pair or two of dress sandals. They pack well and are comfortable the whole night.

Bring a sweater or sweatshirt for November, we live in Fl and Nov 2011 we went on a cruise to Key West and Cozumel....OMG it was FREEZING (we got a cold front) and our Key West day they had record lows!!!! By the time we got to Cozumel it was very pleasant and didn't need to bundle up LOL!!

I really cut down on shorter cruises, the time flies and you really don't need much!. Longer cruises you have 2 formal nights.

one of those over the door hangers with all the pockets is very handy to put all your nic nac's in. Hang it on the outside of the bathroom and put whatever you want in there so you don't have to clutter up the bathroom or one of the drawers.

Archived