Suitcase wrinkles

april47

Do your clothes get more wrinkled the longer they are packed? If your clothes are packed for less than 24 hours are the wrinkles really less likely to stay? I am taking Downy wrinkle remover and plan on hanging things up right away but I am wanting to get ready now....... I'm getting awfully excited about going to Alaska.:rolleyes:

If you can, leave clothes on hangers and use dry cleaning type bags over them. This seems to help with the wrinkles. In all reality, unless you ball up your clothes, shove them into the case and wrestle them around, no one is really going to notice a few wrinkles (if you had any at all). Relax and enjoy Alaska (so jealous!!)

My suitcase in backed and ready to go at least 4 days before departure. Having traveled extensively when working I always had a have a suitcase ready at moments notice have learned the art of packing to have little to no problems with wrinkles. If for some reason there's an item or do that needs touching up , I just hang it in the bathroom while showering and the steam takes it out.

One common packing mistake people make is to place items jjust by laying them on top of one an other into a suitcase. Instead I use the overlap and roll method. Not certain it explains well in writing. Place long items such as slacks, dress and skirts lenghtwise extending over the sides of the suitcase. Than place shirts such as cotton woven ones width wise with ends extending over the sides of the suit. In the center all place items that can be rolled. ALso include shoes (covered in plastic bags ) in the corners . Once the center is filled will all rolled items ( including shoes placed in the corners) begin overlapping all the pieces extended over the sides of the suit case by alternating around the edges.

Hope this helps !

My clothes are wrinkled when they come out of the dryer, lol. I know it helps if you actually take them out timely, but we just can't get it together I. That area.

Our recommendation, we being a travel steamer with us on every trip. Small, lightweight and works magic!

My suitcase in backed and ready to go at least 4 days before departure. Having traveled extensively when working I always had a have a suitcase ready at moments notice have learned the art of packing to have little to no problems with wrinkles. If for some reason there's an item or do that needs touching up , I just hang it in the bathroom while showering and the steam takes it out.

One common packing mistake people make is to place items jjust by laying them on top of one an other into a suitcase. Instead I use the overlap and roll method. Not certain it explains well in writing. Place long items such as slacks, dress and skirts lenghtwise extending over the sides of the suitcase. Than place

shirts such as cotton woven ones width wise with ends extending over the sides of the suit. In the center all place items that can be rolled. ALso include shoes (covered in plastic bags ) in the corners . Once the center is filled will all rolled items ( including shoes placed in the corners) begin overlapping all the pieces extended over the sides of the suit case by alternating around the edges.

Hope this helps !

The method you describe is called bundle packing. Some people swear by this, others do the rolling method.

There are 2 reasons clothing wrinkles when packed, either too much compression or too little so that clothing shifts and settles into creases.

Rolling works wll for knits and fabrics that resist wrinkles, such as t shirts or jeans. Bundling works well for fabrics you want to keep flattened out.

I use both methods in the case. In the garment bag (or section) I put plastic dry cleaner bags over each garment, making sure the clothes don't shift and they are cinched at the sides with the included clips. The body of the case may have garments bundled with othe things rolled and fitted into crevices. I might top the whole case with a folder or a couple packing cubes to hop it all together.

I always line the top and bottom if each case with plastic ziploc baggies, for protection on the outbound trip and for damp or smelly things homebound.

I think they get more wrinkled the longer they are packed... I lay out everything we're taking, but don't actually put it in the suitcase until we're ready to leave....especially our "formal" clothes.

So far, we've never needed anything pressed.... and if there is a wrinkle somewhere, really, who cares! Once you're in the humidity, everyone's clothing tends to "rumple"!

One common packing mistake people make is to place items jjust by laying them on top of one an other into a suitcase. Instead I use the overlap and roll method. Not certain it explains well in writing. Place long items such as slacks, dress and skirts lenghtwise extending over the sides of the suitcase. Than place shirts such as cotton woven ones width wise with ends extending over the sides of the suit. In the center all place items that can be rolled. ALso include shoes (covered in plastic bags ) in the corners . Once the center is filled will all rolled items ( including shoes placed in the corners) begin overlapping all the pieces extended over the sides of the suit case by alternating around the edges.

Hope this helps !

That is also called the bundle method. There are videos online if anyone needs a visual.:D

I love to use bubble wrap. In particular, I cut smaller pieces and place them in the fold of my pants legs. I never have a fold wrinkle. Also, when packing blouses, I use zip lock bags with about 5 items in each and seal the bag with plenty of air still inside. :)

I avoid the issue all together and travel with clothes designed not to wrinkle even if packed weeks in advance. Some clothing companies now have specific lines of travel clothes, but I've done just as well with certain synthetic blends from my two favorite designers, Frank Lyman and Josef Ribkoff. I have literally folded a formal dress in my suitcase, flown 3000 miles, taken it out, put it on, driven a other hour in the car and came out wrinkle free at the gala dinner :)

Wow, some of you go to a lot of work. I just fold and pack and I don't think I've ever had clothes so wrinkled they couldn't be worn. I do use a lot of knits that don't wrinkle easily and don't pack (or, knowingly, buy) items that wrinkle if you look at them.

I've also never noticed once someone wearing something so badly wrinkled that it's, well, noticeable.

I do like Princess ships with the laundry rooms and irons if really, really needed. A couple of times I have ironed some cotton shorts that got pretty creased in the suitcase. Within an hour or less of wearing them in hot, humid conditions they looked about the same as before ironing.

That is also called the bundle method. There are videos online if anyone needs a visual.:D

I´ve used the ¨bundle¨ method which was quite good. However, because we have to travel for a few days before getting to the ship, I´ve found it´s a problem if OH wants a different pair of trousers from the case during our hotel stops!! So for our next cruise, I´ve made a couple of packing folders (based on the Eagle Creek ones) for OH to use. I also use packing cubes.

Sandy in Spain

Do your clothes get more wrinkled the longer they are packed? If your clothes are packed for less than 24 hours are the wrinkles really less likely to stay? I am taking Downy wrinkle remover and plan on hanging things up right away but I am wanting to get ready now....... I'm getting awfully excited about going to Alaska.:rolleyes:
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about packing.

For starters, here a link to one that really makes it easy.

Then look at the right side of the screen for others.

As for the things we want accessible for pre-cruise hotel stops, we either pack them in our carry-ons or pack them last in the big suitcase, so they are right on top and easy to pull out without disturbing anything else.

I have been a proponent of the Zip Lock bag packing method for several years for any and all travel.

I use the 2 1/2 gallon bags, neatly fold and stack 5-6 items together, slide the stack into a bag carefully, and then lay the filled bag on a firm surface, close the "zipper" about 3/4 of the way, slide my forearm across the bag from bottom to top to "burp" out the sir, and close the zipper the rest of the way. Repeat the process for additional clothes. I very rarely have something that needs touching up with an iron before I can wear it, and I often start packing a couple of weeks before heading out for a cruise.

The bags are inexpensive, can be reused numerous times, do not require a vacuum to suction the air out, and take up virtually no space in the luggage for the trip home.

I do leave my dressy clothes hanging and pack them the day before I leave home.

The main caveat with using the bags is that one has to be careful not to exceed the weight limit if flying and checking the suitcase(s) is involved. For that reason, I have my own travel luggage scale!

Since we don't use dry cleaners we use the bags that most department stores use when you ask them to keep your newly purchased items on hangers.

We use the same sales clerk all the time at Dillards so when we ask her for a couple of extra bags she is always willing to give us several extras.

Hope this helps !

As a world traveler, I can attest that this is the very best way to pack. The overlay method seems to keep wrinkles at bay.

~Doris~>Who also likes the rollup method which saves space.

Archived