One More HAL Dress Code Q, Re: Men

Bagbabe53

When? 1957?

Sorry, but I don't believe for one second that you could have possibly seen a man in a suit or sports coat sans tie turned away from the dining room any time during the past 20 years on HAL.

If I say it, I have seen it or read it and believe it or I would not write it.

If You have not seen it, that does not mean it does not happen.

All of us who have hung around HAL long enough understand their 'inconsistency' in certain matters and requiring recommended dress or not requiring it is high on their list of inconsistency.

Sail is not given to telling stories that aren't true. We may not always agree in our opinions but I always believe what she says. She always tells it like it is.

Thank you, Sapper. :)

That's a lovely message.

Sometimes I'm a bit too honest :o but never do I write something I do not believe to be true.

I believe it, and none of my HAL voyages goes back to 1957. Just because you haven't seen this happen on a HAL cruise doesn't mean it can't happen.

The problem is inconsistency. I've seen jacketless (and tieless) men turned away. I've also seen them at their tables in the MDR. I've seen jacketless men given loaner jackets to wear. My observations have been limited to times I was waiting to enter the dining room or waiting to talk to the maître d' and I can't recall a specific instance about ties. But a maître d' could "reject" a tieless man, as the dress code requests a tie.

Part of the inconsistency is that the podium staff on some ships at some times are more strict than others. But I wonder if it's also a response to how passengers are dressed. If most men arrive at the MDR with jacket and tie, is the maître d' more inclined to be strict with the few who show up sans jacket or tie?

Thank you, Kathy. :)

What you say is true!

We're all grownups here.....and grownup men wear ties or eat in the Lido on formal nights.

Scott & Karen

It's not so much the tie that i have a problem with, it's the pants. Just hate to put them on. i will ware a nice button down collar and a striped tie but leave the pants in the room

this is what i just love about the cc hal board. all of the mavens are always 'so right, and so true.' it makes no sense at all to dissent, or even post, for that matter. truth will out.

CC is no different from real life in that we learn, over time and experience, who gives reliable information and who doesn't, who is here to be helpful and who is here to cause trouble, who exaggerates and who is believable, as well as who is friendly and who is just downright ornery. :)

CC is no different from real life in that we learn, over time and experience, who gives reliable information and who doesn't, who is here to be helpful and who is here to cause trouble, who exaggerates and who is believable, as well as who is friendly and who is just downright ornery. :)

You summed it up very well, you just worded it more politely than I would:D

We're all grownups here.....and grownup men wear ties or eat in the Lido on formal nights.

Scott & Karen

Why? A turtleneck with a jacket is formal. Maybe not in British tradition, but most places.

Also, Uniforms and Kilts are formal dress.

On warmweather cruises, some cultures wear a white shirt, like a long-sleeved Guyavera.

One who gives out erroneous information almost daily, and suffers from foot in mouth disease

What a difference a few years makes!!:eek:

It wasn't that long ago when we cruised from Miami to Valpariaiso on NCL. All seating was assigned. We sat with 2 other couples, and rotated the window seats without thinking about it. Men opposite wives, next to the other two wives, changing every night. ALL men in the MDR wore coat, shirt & tie.:) The waiters quickly learned our preferences, and extras would be on the table the next day for anything we had requested once.

On our HAL TA, I packed 4 ties (I own six, the newest bought 10+ years ago) and a jacket. After finding the Lido was much more pleasant the the MDR (We had open seating) and had better service (Us, except main course was delivered) we enjoyed eating there.

My new suitwas purchased 50# ago, so I need a new jacket for my grandsons graduation from Texas A&M.

From Elegant to this??:confused:.

Do you wonder why the majic has gone from cruising? :eek:

What would we all do without the never ending posts on every board about Dress Codes.........

I promise myself every time I see one that I will not participate.

So all I will say, again, is that everybody can read the brochure where it states the code. So why oh why don't people just accept it.

See I can't stop myself...:-)

Happy Cruising

What would we all do without the never ending posts on every board about Dress Codes.........

I promise myself every time I see one that I will not participate.

So all I will say, again, is that everybody can read the brochure where it states the code. So why oh why don't people just accept it.

See I can't stop myself...:-)

Happy Cruising

The dress code is for everyone else, not them:D.

It's not so much the tie that i have a problem with, it's the pants. Just hate to put them on. i will ware a nice button down collar and a striped tie but leave the pants in the room

Clearly you don't live in Canada. You would freeze:D.

Different lines have different "vibes" for a reason - to suit different tastes in the traveling experience. I find this thread most amusing ....

On the HAL boards you're discussing the merits of tux vs dark suit vs coat/tie or if a tie is necessary at all. Over on the Carnival boards they're irritated they can't wear t-shirts, jeans and flip-flops to formal night.

Just sayin ..... :rolleyes:

PS Hearing alot of talk all over cruise sites .... We got the feeling that the demise of the tux when cruising speeded up when the airlines began the excessive charging for checked luggage.

It wasn't that long ago when we cruised from Miami to Valpariaiso on NCL. All seating was assigned. We sat with 2 other couples, and rotated the window seats without thinking about it. Men opposite wives, next to the other two wives, changing every night. ALL men in the MDR wore coat, shirt & tie. The waiters quickly learned our preferences, and extras would be on the table the next day for anything we had requested once.

On our HAL TA, I packed 4 ties (I own six, the newest bought 10+ years ago) and a jacket. After finding the Lido was much more pleasant the the MDR (We had open seating) and had better service (Us, except main course was delivered) we enjoyed eating there.

My new suitwas purchased 50# ago, so I need a new jacket for my grandsons graduation from Texas A&M.

Do you wonder why the majic has gone from cruising?

[i had to remove some of your emoticons as it was too many when I went to enter my post. Sorry.]

Maybe the magic has gone from you, from all your years of cruising the way it used to be.

It is no longer the way it used to be...... nor are we, the people.

We are different today than 50 pounds ago and oh so many years. :D

The new group of cruisers entering the market place, you know the ones...... They are HAL (and every cruise line's) future. We may have been their past and a part of their present but we are not their future.

Same as Four Seasons Hotel in Boston closed their deluxe, incredibly formal restaurant where one went to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, cruise lines have stopped serving caviar (no one take me literally - you get the point.) *** I am sure there is someone who will jump in to say Seabourn or Silversea or junkamunk cruise line serves caviar. :D

If the magic has gone for you, that is sad but not totally impossible to understand.

The magic is still fresh and real and exciting for the new cruisers...... you know the ones.....

HAL's tomorrow. ;)

I am the first to point out disappointments and things we miss from when we first started cruising.

BUT there are many ways I love it more. We take the good with the not as good all the areas of our life. For us, It's still good. :) It is not what is used to be but I don't miss some of it, I like some of what is today's cruising better (though certainly not all) and am learning to accept the world is evolving and I either keep up with it or I drop out. I'm not ready to drop out of cruising,,,,,,,,,, yet.

.... ALL men in the MDR wore coat, shirt & tie.:) .... On our HAL TA, I packed 4 ties (I own six, the newest bought 10+ years ago) and a jacket. After finding the Lido was much more pleasant the the MDR (We had open seating) and had better service (Us, except main course was delivered) we enjoyed eating there.

Do you wonder why the majic has gone from cruising? :eek:

Maybe the magic has gone because YOU have stopped buying certain clothes and YOU prefer not to wear that kind of clothes anymore. :rolleyes: If everyone acted like this, then I would ultimately have to agree that formal nights are a thing of the past.

[i had to remove some of your emoticons as it was too many when I went to enter my post. Sorry.]

Maybe the magic has gone from you, from all your years of cruising the way it used to be.

It is no longer the way it used to be...... nor are we, the people.

We are different today than 50 pounds ago and oh so many years. :D

The new group of cruisers entering the market place, you know the ones...... They are HAL (and every cruise line's) future. We may have been their past and a part of their present but we are not their future.

Same as Four Seasons Hotel in Boston closed their deluxe, incredibly formal restaurant where one went to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, cruise lines have stopped serving caviar (no one take me literally - you get the point.) *** I am sure there is someone who will jump in to say Seabourn or Silversea or junkamunk cruise line serves caviar. :D

If the magic has gone for you, that is sad but not totally impossible to understand.

The magic is still fresh and real and exciting for the new cruisers...... you know the ones.....

HAL's tomorrow. ;)

I am the first to point out disappointments and things we miss from when we first started cruising.

BUT there are many ways I love it more. We take the good with the not as good all the areas of our life. For us, It's still good. :) It is not what is used to be but I don't miss some of it, I like some of what is today's cruising better (though certainly not all) and am learning to accept the world is evolving and I either keep up with it or I drop out. I'm not ready to drop out of cruising,,,,,,,,,, yet.

Good post, Sail:)

It's funny because some dude on the Princess board was saying how he/she brings his own fancy glasses to drink their fancy wine. Couldn't possibly drink from a normal glass. Then some people complain about bringing formal.

There is a whole story in this.

The two sides of the same cruise.

The two different sort of today's cruisers.

Good post, Sail:)

Thanks, Startwin. :)

"Black tie" is a uniform and must be worn as such. If you're in the army & don't like colour of the uniform you can't turn up in a colour you prefer.

Black trousers & jacket with tiny bit of white hanky peeking out, white dress shirt, black bow tie, black cummerbund, black patent leather shoes. No alternatives. No flashy coloured bows or bunds. If the "uniform" doesn't suit you, don't join the regiment. ;-) In the tropics one might get away with a white jacket with a half lining, but in the aircondtioned dining room the temperature isn't tropical by any means.

HAL's dress request for formal nights is jacket and tie for gentlemen.

Perhaps he would be permitted in the dining room without a tie but he also might not be. I've seen men turned away for no tie but I've also seen them seated.

If I say it, I have seen it or read it and believe it or I would not write it.

LOL.

So now it is that you've seen it or read about it, huh?

I have no doubt whatsoever that you believe it.

What I seriously doubt - and what I posted previously - is that you've seen it.

And now, apparently, you have backtracked from that declaration as well.

Archived