One More HAL Dress Code Q, Re: Men

Bagbabe53

He will not feel out of place with a jacket - no tie... but that, to me is, or should be just normal for dinner every night... the cruise line only recommends a couple of evenings per trip where a tie is requested. Several dozen men will add a tux to their look, and several will add a white dinner jacket if you are in the summer months in the Caribean. He will feel out of place with slacks and a golf shirt on formal night... will he be refused service... probably not. I tend to agree with the tie... but one evening for a couple/three hours...

The winged color shirt and a bow tie is nothing differnet from a regular collar with a long tie - same button at the collar - just adds pleats and instead of buttons...these little stud things. Same - just different.

Tell him to be James Bond for an evening... Martini - Shaken not stirred...

We like to dress for formal nights. If Holland so chooses to discontinue that tradition , I think

we will still dress formal for dinner on one or two nights. I would even consider a table for two

every night in the MDR. If others want to dress like they are going to dinner at Md that is

their choice to do so , but I won't be seated with them. That is our choice.

He will not feel out of place with a jacket - no tie......

On a formal night this would be a very small group. If not being with the large majority doesn't bother him, then you are correct saying "he will not feel out of place". I guess the wife would know that.;)

:eek: Wow...... As a grownup, I'll leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Guys, I get that; and I agree with you that this should not be a big deal. My husband is no dummy; he is CEO of a highly successful consulting business he founded here in the DC area, with 40 employees. We travel domestically and overseas all the time, and it's his first cruise. When with clients, he's in khakis, a pima polo shirt, and in winter with either a cashmere sweater or custom made jacket. He's a big guy with a 17.5 collared shirt, and he owns a tux. He bought two new dress shirts today for the trip. I suggested he loosen his tie once he's seated if he's uncomfortable.

Why does he hate ties? Does he hate them because they are tight around his neck and, therefore, they feel like they're choking him? If so, then the shirts he is wearing have too-small of neck-size. When a gentleman wears a neck-tie he shouldn't wear a shirt with a neck-size that it too small for him. However, this is precisely what most men do ... they try to wear too small of neck-size. To put this simply, it should NOT be so tight that a man feels he is choking. If he feels like he's choking, then the neck tie just makes the feeling worse. Rather, it should be loose enough that when the tie is tied it doesn't choke.

If I'm not in a Tuxedo with Bow Tie, I wear a black suit and black clergy shirts, which are neckband shirts that have a collar-button hole in the back and in the front to which a white "dog-collar" is attached, finishing it off. That is "clergy formal."

For laymen it is acceptable to wear a starched white neckband shirt with a placket or a formal button front and a fancy neck closure (often plated gold or silver with a nice jewel of some kind in the middle). This is called "Modern Formal," and should be worn with a Tuxedo or Tuxedo quality suit or Nehru formal dinner jacket.

Thanks Reverend; I answered below; this is just annoying to him. He hated and wore ties for years as a successful rep/mgr/VP of marketing and then when he started his business he stopped wearing them more than a couple of times a year, mainly to funerals and weddings! I've suggested he loosen his tie after being seated.

We're all grownups here.....and grownup men wear ties or eat in the Lido on formal nights.

Scott & Karen

:eek: Wow...... As a grownup, I'll leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Guys, I get that; and I agree with you that this should not be a big deal. My husband is no dummy; he is CEO of a highly successful consulting business he founded here in the DC area, with 40 employees. We travel domestically and overseas all the time, and it's his first cruise. When with clients, he's in khakis, a pima polo shirt, and in winter with either a cashmere sweater or custom made jacket. He's a big guy with a 17.5 collared shirt, and he owns a tux. He bought two new dress shirts today for the trip. I suggested he loosen his tie once he's seated if he's uncomfortable.

I hope you realize that my comment was directed at the first post listed above, not in ANY way was it directed at you or your husband!

Very sorry if it was misinterpreted. :(

On the Eurodam,Do they enforce the Jacket for the Caribbean cruises, I thought dress shirt and slacks would be okay! It's warm down there!

The air conditioning in the MDR is usually quite cool, so it isn't too warm for the jacket in there. As for a ship-specific question, nobody knows. Enforcement varies too much to say what will be OK any any particular ship on any particular cruise.

On the Eurodam,Do they enforce the Jacket for the Caribbean cruises, I thought dress shirt and slacks would be okay! It's warm down there!

The women will be wearing their cocktail dresses and the men will be wearing suit and tie. As stated, ships are air conditioned...often to the point of being pretty darn cold in some public rooms. Because it is a warm weather itinerary doesn't change dress guidelines. After dinner you will see some men with their jackets off and women often are putting on their shawls or sweaters.

Caribbean land resorts often expect jackets in their finer restaurants too.

I would suggest he bring a tie along. If my DH and I get all dressed up I would be disappointed if the other diners at my table looked like they should be dinning in the Lido. It would show a level of respect to dress according to the rules. If you request a table to two, it might not be so bad.

Thanks Reverend; I answered below; this is just annoying to him. He hated and wore ties for years as a successful rep/mgr/VP of marketing and then when he started his business he stopped wearing them more than a couple of times a year, mainly to funerals and weddings! I've suggested he loosen his tie after being seated.

You're welcome. Here's another suggestion: get some collar expanders, like these.

PALNACHMIOFDHFHC.jpg

You can get them from places like www.tuxedoesonline.com

They add an extra half-inch to the neck collar and really help when it comes time to tie the tie (it keeps one from tying it too tightly).

Yes Susan; that, would be a black Dickey under a white sweater;) Where is the Spanish Inquisition:eek: when you need them

Now now, John, as you know very well: "No body ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

You're welcome. Here's another suggestion: get some collar expanders, like these.

PALNACHMIOFDHFHC.jpg

You can get them from places like www.tuxedoesonline.com

They add an extra half-inch to the neck collar and really help when it comes time to tie the tie (it keeps one from tying it too tightly).

My dry cleaner sells those collar expanders for something like $3 for two. Clever little device. They make them for waistbands as well. ;)

I think you can find them in national chain stores like Michael's or even sewing department at WalMart.

My dry cleaner sells those collar expanders for something like $3 for two. Clever little device. They make them for waistbands as well. ;)

I think you can find them in national chain stores like Michael's or even sewing department at WalMart.

Correct. I got the two I use at my dry cleaners, too.

Archived