so in fairness

Hawaiidan

All Oceania needs to do is simply establish a uniform tariff for each person in a specific cabin. If a B-4 pp is $8000 pp it dosent matter if there are 2, 3 or more.

Each passenger pays his own weight in direct relation to every other passenger. That is fair in its pure sense.

The revenue so derived would more than please the company and stabilize fares for years to come and solve "demographics problems".

All Oceania needs to do is simply establish a uniform tariff for each person in a specific cabin. If a B-4 pp is $8000 pp it dosent matter if there are 2, 3 or more.

Each passenger pays his own weight in direct relation to every other passenger. That is fair in its pure sense.

The revenue so derived would more than please the company and stabilize fares for years to come and solve "demographics problems".

:)Great idea.

Why hasn't Oceania thought of that.

It's only fair. :confused:

Hawaiidan;

If Im reading you correctly you want Oceania to do away with the single occupancy pricing used in travel, be it ships, hotels or B&B, so singles pay, to use you example, $8,000 and not $16,000. While this is a lofty goal for those traveling by themselves I don't see at as profitable option for cruise lines.

That said it does happen when economic conditions warrent it. One example is Uniworld on certain Europe sailings. As for a third or fourth sharing a cabin these fares are always less ...even free.

I may agree with you in principle but only Oceania knows for sure if " The revenue so derived would more than please the company".

As I mentioned on the other thread, if these cabins, especially on the O class ships, would go unoccupied (or deeply discounted) otherwise, than O will in fact lose and not make money. Maybe they need to offer these incentives to families with children that otherwise would not cruise with Oceania - thus leaving cabins empty of deeply discounted.

We do not have access to those statistics so we don't know what the real answer is.

Hawaiidan;

If Im reading you correctly you want Oceania to do away with the single occupancy pricing used in travel, be it ships, hotels or B&B, so singles pay, to use you example, $8,000 and not $16,000. While this is a lofty goal for those traveling by themselves I don't see at as profitable option for cruise lines.

That said it does happen when economic conditions warrent it. One example is Uniworld on certain Europe sailings. As for a third or fourth sharing a cabin these fares are always less ...even free.

Hawaiidan should answer this his way, though I think you may have misread what he meant. When it comes to single occupancy of cabins on Oceania (unlike some of the luxury lines) the typical fare for single occupancy of cabins across the fleet is 200%, so solos already pay double to cruise on Oceania. There are a few sailings where solos get a break, but not usually. If the cruise is not selling well, that's when you begin to see a discount for solos, but their discount is not nearly as attractive as the interline rate.

Hawaiidan should answer this his way, though I think you may have misread what he meant. When it comes to single occupancy of cabins on Oceania (unlike some of the luxury lines) the typical fare for single occupancy of cabins across the fleet is 200%, so solos already pay double to cruise on Oceania. There are a few sailings where solos get a break, but not usually. If the cruise is not selling well, that's when you begin to see a discount for solos, but their discount is not nearly as attractive as the interline rate.

Solos pay more because historically they don't spend much money on the ship.

Cutting the fare to put a couple in an empty room makes economic sense, putting a single person in that room does not.

If the singles who read this don't like what I'm saying, vote with your wallet on your next cruise. Prove me wrong, spend up a storm!

I don't think Oceania would go that way.

Yes, it would be easier to understand for the passenger but on a revenue management perspective it would not make sense.

The same applies in the hotel and airline business. In order to make the maximum amount of money they have to differentiate and adjust to the available inventory.

In short you cannot fill the ship at only high fares and you cannot make money by filling the ship with low fares. A mix is the answer.

Why would anyone want to pay the same amount to be inconvenienced by being crowded into a room with 2 others? Other than to dissuade parents from bringing children, this idea seems to be a nonstarter to me.

Too..

However, the overall market seems to be attracted to Oceania as a line for adults and not children. If the line looses its customer base then thats not good either.

The one fare for everybody would not preclude discounting to manage inventory, It would however eliminate the price "slashing" of $100 pp for the cruise of say $8000pp.

You could cut it to rock bottom of $1000 to 2000pp; A cabin would have a base rate of 2 fares min at whatever rate works.. just not the $100pp

Still, I think even at that level of discount you would preclude the attractive nature to families,as it does not make it attractive as there ecist other lines who will offer the $100/

There is a big difference between offering a cabin 3 rd and 4 th at $100 and $1000.

Also to consider, I do not think kids are big spenders either:cool:

Too..

However, the overall market seems to be attracted to Oceania as a line for adults and not children. If the line looses its customer base then thats not good either.

The one fare for everybody would not preclude discounting to manage inventory, It would however eliminate the price "slashing" of $100 pp for the cruise of say $8000pp.

You could cut it to rock bottom of $1000 to 2000pp; A cabin would have a base rate of 2 fares min at whatever rate works.. just not the $100pp

Still, I think even at that level of discount you would preclude the attractive nature to families,as it does not make it attractive as there ecist other lines who will offer the $100/

There is a big difference between offering a cabin 3 rd and 4 th at $100 and $1000.

Also to consider, I do not think kids are big spenders either:cool:

I guess I'm pretty dense here. Is this post, then, really the crux of your reason for starting this thread - another way to discourage young people from sailing O? You have posted numerous times about this issue on another active thread.

I guess I'm pretty dense here. Is this post, then, really the crux of your reason for starting this thread - another way to discourage young people from sailing O? You have posted numerous times about this issue on another active thread.

Probably. Decreasing the discount is a good way to discourage families without actually banning anymore. For what its worth, I'd rather not see 3rd and 4th passengers of any age on the smaller ships of O. However I'm sure adults are a statistically insignificant portion of 3rd or 4th guests in a room.

However I'm sure adults are a statistically insignificant portion of 3rd or 4th guests in a room.

Don't you believe it! Four in a room is not commonly all adults, but I'd bet that a third adult is the most common "extra person" scenario.

Single siblings and widowed parents are the "thirds" that I read most about here on Cruise Critic.

Don't you believe it! Four in a room is not commonly all adults, but I'd bet that a third adult is the most common "extra person" scenario.

Single siblings and widowed parents are the "thirds" that I read most about here on Cruise Critic.

I don't think so, and neither do the people who posted about the 90+ kids on Oceania's holiday cruise. People holiday with siblings and parents, and yet we read about kids occupying the vast majority of additional berths.

I don't think so, and neither do the people who posted about the 90+ kids on Oceania's holiday cruise. People holiday with siblings and parents, and yet we read about kids occupying the vast majority of additional berths.

I do not believe that there were ever 90 kids at one time on any Oceania cruise.

The Poster who wrote about that, who has not been heard of since, by the way was probably using hyperbole, people tend to do that when they are angry, bitter and frustrated.

In any case, I have read hundreds, possibly thousands, of disparate posts on Cruise Critic to support my theory that it is mostly adults who book as the third and fourth passengers on Oceania, you seem to be basing your entire argument on that one thread.

I do not believe that there were ever 90 kids at one time on any Oceania cruise.

The Poster who wrote about that, who has not been heard of since, by the way was probably using hyperbole, people tend to do that when they are angry, bitter and frustrated.

I haven't seen anywhere that number of kids either, but...

Here is a quote from sola7's post # 78 on the "other kids thread" (bolding mine):

"Here's my own anecdote. We (four adults over the age of 40) were on Riviera in June/July. There were a surprisingly large number of "minors" on board -- according to staff, over 100 under the age of 18"

Sounds authentic (and scarry) to me.

JimandStan,

Though I was not on it a very good friend of mine was on the Marina holiday cruise (on my recommendation) and his count was over 100 kids. It was his last time ever on O as he found them relentlessly loud, rude and overbearing. A very bad first impression of O. As much as I tried to convince him that this was an not typical he's had it. Perhaps if one has sailed several times without the kids one might be more willing to overlook them.

Heat rises; water runs downhill and their is no free lunch

Some pay extra for a vista suite, others a veranda; they pay a lot more on Oceania than other lines for a specific experience, an adult experience and a country club atmosphere through out the ship; that a child simply through age , experience and maturity is not equiped to appreciate till he becomes an adult.

I pay extra for the pleasure of adult company and a prospect of no children.

I am willing to pay whatever it takes to acheive that goal. I dont think it is un-reasonable with all the dozens of family and kid ships to not have one line that lets adults enjoy a child free vacation, for what ever reason.

Pricing, seems to be the easiest and fairest way to enable that....eliminating the 3rd+ discount would act to enable ALL passengers to pay a uniform fare to acheive a uniform goal..... so no free lunch:o

The first time I encounter a bunch of children on O, is the last time you will have my cruise dollars. Life is too short to put up with a bunch of urchins.

Wow! I agree. You'd be much happier lodged in Dead End & Bed Pans Nothing To Live For Home. No smiling, life is a promise, urchins allowed. Did you have a youth?:eek:

Well my 2 bobs work on pricing and kids

Allowing that our the first trip will be around 30 days a couple

of points are making me wonder why we will bother with Oceania

and any of the others for that matter.

I came to the conclusion that Oceania would be best for us especially

M & R with their range of restaurants. Who wants to spend ultimately

around 60 days a year eating Italian , French and US (Steakhouse )

food .???. YUK

In regards to Kids. A few well behaved would be great. But I am

shocked that there were over a hundred on one of the cruises.

Surely the parents have been given special rates. ???

There should be no triple or quadruple Suites offered , but there

seems to be not many adjoining connected Suites especially low

and around the centre of gravity for seasick prone quests.

Whilst on adjoining suites their pricing is fairly steep when used

by 2 people . We are going to have to use these on our first trip

around Asia until I find my sea legs.

Beijing to Bangkok March 30 3013

From the ebrochure 2 B1's (6024 & 6026 ) will cost for 2 people

$38,000 aprox which is nearly the same as the Owners Suite.

Give us a break. No Butler, No nothing and about half the size,

and really to far up he front anyway.( I think)

Once again I will bitch about the lack of top suites around the

center of gravity (pitch) and down as low as you can get verandas.

Personally I think there is a market out there for a couple of Marina

size ships with only Penthouse and above Suites. The World is very

similar in some ways to Marina/Riviera as some of the Suites

are close to Penthouse size. They have a great arrangement down

at that size where you can have a Penthouse Suite , A Penthouse Suite

with another conjoined suite set up with a small kitchen and lounge.

The third combo is Bedroom , Kichen/Lounge and another Bedroom.

They can then lease these out as a bedroom Suite , One Bedroom

Suite with lounge ,2 Bedroom Suite with lounge.

The Mighty Disney Corporation does exactly the same with their

Disney Vacation Villas. at WDW.

Oceania you are starting to lose the plot and getting greedy.

We have to buy a Business Class "Round the World" anyway ,

So we can easily spend a couple of weeks in a suite at the Halekulani

Hotel then move onto a Golf Villa at Wynn Las Vegas for a month .( Tons

of entertainment and Ntl Pks etc ). Finally go across to one of the large

Suites in WDW for a couple of weeks. There are not many places in the

World where you cannot get to on a Star Alliance RTW Ticket. And a lot

of that on true Lay Flat seats and A380's

This is to escape our Winters in July ,Aug , Sep.

With the greatest of respect to everyone here of course

Joy :cool:

I've always raved on CC about the wonderful people one meets on an O cruise.

After reading this thread and the "adopt formal child policy" thread, I'm changing my mind to some extent. There are mean-spirited and narrow-minded people sailing every cruise line, I guess. I only hope I do not have the misfortune to meet such people on any of the O cruises I plan for the future. . . and I WILL continue cruising O no matter what their "child policy."

Flame away, those of you who feel the need.

Hello TKS,

Couldn't agree with you more

I'm still to do my first Oceanai cruise next April and expect it to be fantastic. But it is apalling to read such rancid remarks by other's concerning children. Can we require them to post their future cruises so we can stay clear?:)

Hello TKS,

I'm still to do my first Oceanai cruise next April and expect it to be fantastic. But it is apalling to read such rancid remarks by other's concerning children. Can we require them to post their future cruises so we can stay clear?:)

I've always raved on CC about the wonderful people one meets on an O cruise.

After reading this thread and the "adopt formal child policy" thread, I'm changing my mind to some extent. There are mean-spirited and narrow-minded people sailing every cruise line, I guess. I only hope I do not have the misfortune to meet such people on any of the O cruises I plan for the future. . . and I WILL continue cruising O no matter what their "child policy."

Flame away, those of you who feel the need.

Whoa folks, just because someone doesn't want to cruise with children on board doesn't make them a bad person. Where are the mean spirited statements? I love kids, but like others here I really don't want to spend much time around them on vacation. Now, until Oceania makes a policy one way or another I realize that when I cruise with them there is the reasonable expectation that there may be children on board. It's not going to get me out of joint one way or another if there are.

Hello TKS,

Could you quote the "rancid remarks"? I seemed to have missed them.

Archived