Just Cancelled Eurodam for Caribbean Princess

blueboro

Our group of 8 just cancelled our January 19 cruise on Eurodam and have booked the CB. (We found out HAL had a Gospel Music Celebration with about 1,000 people and we did not want to have the possibility of public spaces being closed except for members of the group).

We have been on about 15 cruises but have never cruised Princess before. We really liked going to Aruba and Curacao on a 7-day cruise from FLL. The past several years we have done Celebrity Solstice, Eclipse, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam and others. We are booked into the last 4 aft starboard side mini-suites on Emerald deck. Some questions for you Princess aficionados:

• How does the CB compare to Solstice class and HAL Signature class?
  • Anyone familiar with minisuites E725 thru E731?
  • How do specialty restaurants on CB compare to other lines and should we reserve these prior to embarkation?
  • Any "hints" or secrets (promise I won't tell anyone)

Thanks for any input and we are looking forward to our first Princess cruise.

Our group of 8 just cancelled our January 19 cruise on Eurodam and have booked the CB. (We found out HAL had a Gospel Music Celebration with about 1,000 people and we did not want to have the possibility of public spaces being closed except for members of the group).

We have been on about 15 cruises but have never cruised Princess before. We really liked going to Aruba and Curacao on a 7-day cruise from FLL. The past several years we have done Celebrity Solstice, Eclipse, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam and others. We are booked into the last 4 aft starboard side mini-suites on Emerald deck. Some questions for you Princess aficionados:

• How do specialty restaurants on CB compare to other lines and should we reserve these prior to embarkation?

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess for the New Year's cruise to the same ports. I haven't cruised on any other line, so no comparisons from me.

It is not possible to reserve the specialty restaurants before the cruise. On embarkation day, there will be a table set up outside Sabatini's where you can make reservations. They'll have copies of each day's main dining room dinner menus so you can make an informed decision on when you want to book a specialty restaurant. I highly recommend Sabatini's. Great meal experience, just make sure you go hungry. Enjoy your cruise!

I have been on the Eurodam and the Caribbean Princess.

Obviously CB is larger than the Eurdam.

Far more bells and whistles on the CB. In the "Carnival" family, Princess cruises are a notch above HAL.

There are more pools on CB.

The main atrium on CB blows away any of the atriums on HAL.

The mini suites on the CB are a little bit larger than a balcony cabin on the Eurodam. There is a tub on both types of cabins. Mini suites have two tvs.

The Crown Grill and Pinnacle are about equal. Sabatini's is a proper restaurant (lovely decor) compared to Canaletto's, which is just part of the buffet restaurant. However, Tamarind on HAL is fab!

The big difference - beds. I know, I know Princess is getting around to change their prison mattresses, but if you are unlucky to get one, sleep on the floor it is more comfortable! HAL 's beds are good.

It is a different experience on the CB, with a lively vibe. Lots of things to do.

You will have a great time!

I haven't cruised on Celebrity or on the class of HAL you mentioned but I can tell you the minisuites you have booked are highly coveted. You've done well. The minis on the Emerald deck are the only minis on Princess ships that have fully covered balconies ie.... no one can see you from above or the side. All other minis are on Dolphin deck and have fully exposed balconies, while these don't bother me they do many people.

Enjoy your first Princess cruise. I hope you will write a comparison review when you return. I really enjoy reading those types of reviews.

I haven't cruised on Celebrity or on the class of HAL you mentioned but I can tell you the minisuites you have booked are highly coveted. You've done well. The minis on the Emerald deck are the only minis on Princess ships that have fully covered balconies ie.... no one can see you from above or the side. All other minis are on Dolphin deck and have fully exposed balconies, while these don't bother me they do many people.

Enjoy your first Princess cruise. I hope you will write a comparison review when you return. I really enjoy reading those types of reviews.

Thanks...that is good to hear on the mini-suites. Since they were above club Fusion we had a little concern. But I read where the starboard side we are on is much better than the port side since the band in the club is apparently under the port cabins.

I have sailed on Eurodam and CB and much prefer CB. I did not like the HAL idea of taking prime real estate by the main pool and making them into cabanas. There are also private cabanas on the pool's upper deck looking down on the pool. Interior of the HAL ship is dark and we sailed during the time there was much reported about vibrations (they were for real!).

CB is much more attractive IMHO. CB is easier to navigate; MDR food quite good. I did not think much of either ship's buffet areas and stayed away as much as we could. CB had far less choices and the food in the buffet area was unappealing.

I think you should have a great time on the CB. I would sail again on her tomorrow but not Eurodam. Funny I expected the opposite before these sailings.

Some questions for you Princess aficionados:

I'm Elite on Princess, a 3-star Mariner on HAL, and have sailed on Celebrity. A mini-suite on Princess is the equivalent of a VA (superior verandah) cabin on HAL. It's an extended cabin and larger bathroom but not a suite nor are there any amenities other than a glass of (bad) sparkling wine at sailaway and some additional toiletries in the bathroom. Here's a link that will explain what the amenities are. Scroll down to "Stateroom Amenities." http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

I've sailed in E725 on two different ships and the cabins you've booked are my favorites. The balcony is covered and very private, there are no inside cabins across the hall so the cabin is very quiet. I love the location near the aft stairs/elevators with easy access to Skywalkers, the buffet and Traditional dining room. Just ask your cabin steward and they will open the doors between your balconies so you can share the space. You will not hear anything from the lounge below as the sound stage is on the other side of the ship.

The speciality restaurant on Celebrity is much better than the ones on Princess or HAL. I prefer Crown Grill on Princess to Pinnacle Grill on HAL.

The buffets on Celebrity and HAL are better organized but open less hours.

The location of the cabins you choose is great - you won't have any noise.

Thanks...that is good to hear on the mini-suites. Since they were above club Fusion we had a little concern. But I read where the starboard side we are on is much better than the port side since the band in the club is apparently under the port cabins.

That's correct.:)

I have been on the Eurodam and the Caribbean Princess.

Obviously CB is larger than the Eurdam.

Far more bells and whistles on the CB. In the "Carnival" family, Princess cruises are a notch above HAL.

There are more pools on CB.

The main atrium on CB blows away any of the atriums on HAL.

The mini suites on the CB are a little bit larger than a balcony cabin on the Eurodam. There is a tub on both types of cabins. Mini suites have two tvs.

The Crown Grill and Pinnacle are about equal. Sabatini's is a proper restaurant (lovely decor) compared to Canaletto's, which is just part of the buffet restaurant. However, Tamarind on HAL is fab!

The big difference - beds. I know, I know Princess is getting around to change their prison mattresses, but if you are unlucky to get one, sleep on the floor it is more comfortable! HAL 's beds are good.

It is a different experience on the CB, with a lively vibe. Lots of things to do.

You will have a great time!

I would put Celebrity and HAL above Princess as do many of the travel polls.

I would have to say it depends what you are looking for, if you want a large ship mass market experience go Princess, lots to do, Ok ships, small cabins. You want a more refined ship, smaller feeling with nicer decor (to me), then sail the HAL ship. I found the sepcialty restaurants on the Grand (Crown Grill and Sabatinis) far below the alternative restaurants on HAL and Celebrity (similar to a mall based chain restaurant rather than a noticable step up from the main dining room). Its all a matter of personal taste of course

In my discussion with a rep from HAL admitted that as a company, Princess is rated higher. Don't forget, HAL sails very basic ships. Limited facilities due to the size of the ships. I haven't been on Celebrity (yet) but understand that their larger ships have quite a few bells and whistles.

The nonsense about the staff being better on one line vs another is crap. In my experience sailing (only) five different cruise lines (multiple times each), the staff and crew work their butts off to make guests happy. There are individual bad apples on each ship. Lots of great staff and crew.

I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line. I think the OP will have a great time!

Not sure what reference the Rep was using to say Princess is rated higher than HAL, but in my personal experience (hundreds of days on each), I find them most comparable! Now each has some better points and some weaker points, and the differences vary between ships of the same line and between lines. For example - some things depend on the size of the ship and its amenities. My opinions also vary between cruises do to the specific stewards assigned to my cabin and dining room table. They can make a big difference. I have found the food to vary more based on who the Chef is and not the line or the ship. I really enjoy them both. I do love the wrap-around covered decks on HAL - for me they are a tie breaker, but I actually cruise primarily for the itinerary.

We were very happy with our HAL Nieuw Amsterday cruise 18 months ago. Very nice ship, good food and service. And we have really liked the Celebrity Solstice class. The CB is an older ship which I am sure will show some wear and tear but we love the fact it goes to Aruba and Curacao.

We are not partiers, but my perception is the nightlife on CB will be better than HAL. We love the almost non-smoking policy on X and realize there are more places we will probably encounter smoke on the CB.

We have not cruised on HAL, but have enjoyed both Celebrity & Princess cruises in the past. We have been on the CB my husbands first time with Princess. We decided that we enjoy the environment somewhat better with Princess. Celebrity being more formal, while Princess is a little bit less formal. One thing that we truly love is MUTS ( movies under the stars) every evening. Very relaxing and lots of fun. I think you will like the CB very much. We would not hesitate however, booking on Celebrity again if the price was right.

We enjoy both cruise lines (5 Star Mariners and Elite with Princess) and one big advantage of Princess is that you will not have to eat anyone's cigarette smoke on your verandah. For this reason we do not book HA verandahs...but always book verandahs on Princess (love the large Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand Class ships).

Hank

Archived